Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,045 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone (2424 Views)

How To Take Sharp Photos With Your Smart Phone. / Naija Smartphonomics: The Economics Of Buying A Smart Phone In Nigeria / Advice On Purchasing Android Battery. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 10:45am On Oct 11, 2013
Hi guys, i am not really a tech savy person (but i am a fast learner though!)

Okay, so I need to buy a 'new-generation' smart phone cool , but i am confused as to which to buy. I was thinking of a samsung galaxy whatever (no idea which one is the best), but a friend of mine is recommending HTC 1. Please guys, dont just read and ignore. Help a sister out kiss kiss

What would you recommend is a great phone in terms of price, look and functions?

Thanks kiss
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by networkgenuis: 4:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
nanidee: Hi guys, i am not really a tech savy person (but i am a fast learner though!)

Okay, so I need to buy a 'new-generation' smart phone cool , but i am confused as to which to buy. I was thinking of a samsung galaxy whatever (no idea which one is the best), but a friend of mine is recommending HTC 1. Please guys, dont just read and ignore. Help a sister out kiss kiss

What would you recommend is a great phone in terms of price, look and functions?

Thanks kiss
This is how it works, you have to state your budget for the intended smartphone; It will make every other thing easier.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 12, 2013
U dint tell us hw much u are willing to cought awt from ur purse and u dint tell us spec of fone u intended to buy
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Randerl: 11:00am On Oct 12, 2013
Like the 2nd n 3rd posts, u must state ur current budget limit for d device.
If u ve got d bucks, l will advice u get a Future Proof device.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2013
networkgenuis:
This is how it works, you have to state your budget for the intended smartphone; It will make every other thing easier.

30DB4FA6: U dint tell us hw much u are willing to cought awt from ur purse and u dint tell us spec of fone u intended to buy

Randerl: Like the 2nd n 3rd posts, u must state ur current budget limit for d device.
If u ve got d bucks, l will advice u get a Future Proof device.

OMG!... Nigerians are really lovely people kiss. I am delighted to get your responses.

Lets just say I am willing to spend between £200 and £400. The cheaper the better though, as long as I have a cute smart phone. Thanks guys... love you all kiss
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by physise(m): 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2013
nanidee:

OMG!... Nigerians are really lovely people kiss. I am delighted to get your responses.

Lets just say I am willing to spend between £200 and £400. The cheaper the better though, as long as I have a cute smart phone. Thanks guys... love you all kiss
galaxy s4
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 7:51pm On Oct 15, 2013
physise: galaxy s4

Just had to look it up... looks pretty impressive. But please how is the battery life and camera? Can i get really sharp photos with it? I also saw there is a big one and the 'mini'...do they have same functions? (you would probably say i should google or do my own research on them, but truth is, I may not understand half the technical jargon that would accompany phone explanations cheesy)
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by physise(m): 8:08pm On Oct 15, 2013
nanidee:

Just had to look it up... looks pretty impressive. But please how is the battery life and camera? Can i get really sharp photos with it? I also saw there is a big one and the 'mini'...do they have same functions? (you would probably say i should google or do my own research on them, but truth is, I may not understand half the technical jargon that would accompany phone explanations cheesy)
s4 mini has dual core while s4 has octacore with full hd display..large internal memory better gpu dan s4 mini..yea d camera quality of d s4 is fantastic
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2013
physise: s4 mini has dual core while s4 has octacore with full hd display..large internal memory better gpu dan s4 mini..yea d camera quality of d s4 is fantastic

All these terms are the things that give me headache with all these 'new generation' phones sad. Please can you break it down? Like I said... i have no idea what dual core, octacore and gpu mean embarassed

I just need to have whatsaap, social media great camera, long battery life...that's all I know about phones embarassed
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by physise(m): 8:30pm On Oct 15, 2013
nanidee:

All these terms are the things that give me headache with all these 'new generation' phones sad. Please can you break it down? Like I said... i have no idea what dual core, octacore and gpu mean embarassed

I just need to have whatsaap, social media great camera, long battery life...that's all I know about phones embarassed
gpu:graphics processing unit
dualcore; 2 cpu cores
octacores:8 cpu cores
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2013
physise: gpu:graphics processor
dualcore; 2 cpu cores
octacores:8 cpu cores

I give up cry
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by physise(m): 8:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
nanidee:

I give up cry
lol octacore is better dan dualcore
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Ziggyzito(m): 8:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
nanidee:

lol..aunty.. he's simply telling you the difference in processing speed, gaming experience, and screen quality...go for the s4.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 9:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
physise: lol octacore is better dan dualcore

LMAO... Okay o, after all, 8 is higher than 2. Ainit? cool

Ziggyzito: lol..aunty.. he's simply telling you the difference in processing speed, gaming experience, and screen quality...go for the s4.
Oh!... as in is it how fast i can send messages or switch between applications and stuff like that? And me i dont play games, so what will happen to the phone if i am not using it optimally? Will it be less effective?

(Abeg, you guys should be patient with me, no vex. Reading up all these things myself don't help at all embarassed)
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by physise(m): 9:49pm On Oct 15, 2013
nanidee:

LMAO... Okay o, after all, 8 is higher than 2. Ainit? cool

Oh!... as in is it how fast i can send messages or switch between applications and stuff like that? And me i dont play games, so what will happen to the phone if i am not using it optimally? Will it be less effective?

(Abeg, you guys should be patient with me, no vex. Reading up all these things myself don't help at all embarassed)
nt really I think d s4 have 2gb ram so u can open more app at d same time..since u r nt into gaming dat will be gud for ur battery life
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Stanley08(m): 5:48am On Oct 16, 2013
You are a lady, just buy the HTC One. It's beautiful. You will love it. If you were a guy I'd say Galaxy S4. As me, I'm all about Samsung.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 16, 2013
you should limit ur thoughts to d s4 and note 3..

if u are a fan of very large screens ,go for the note 3, but if not go for the s4. ..

forget all bout cores if u dnt really understand it, the s4 and note 3 have one of d best cores on a smartphone presently, and they have very good display and sweet battery lives...

u dnt really have to go reading up bout the two phones..

just go on youtube and type in

samsung galaxy s4 review, then watch d videos bout it..

then also type in samsung galaxy note 3 and watch d videos bout it...

CIAO...
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by caukerzee(m): 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
From your main post and other replies, it's obvious the HTC One is a better suited device for you. Even as a diehard samsung customer/fan, I recommend the HTC One for you. Reason being:
1. It's a better looking device.
2. SENSE 5 is less complicated than TouchWiz nature UX 2.0 .

But again, considering your budget. The HTC may just be expensive.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 8:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
physise: nt really I think d s4 have 2gb ram so u can open more app at d same time..since u r nt into gaming dat will be gud for ur battery life

Stanley08: You are a lady, just buy the HTC One. It's beautiful. You will love it. If you were a guy I'd say Galaxy S4. As me, I'm all about Samsung.

deejay_harry1: you should limit ur thoughts to d s4 and note 3..

if u are a fan of very large screens ,go for the note 3, but if not go for the s4. ..

forget all bout cores if u dnt really understand it, the s4 and note 3 have one of d best cores on a smartphone presently, and they have very good display and sweet battery lives...

u dnt really have to go reading up bout the two phones..

just go on youtube and type in

samsung galaxy s4 review, then watch d videos bout it..

then also type in samsung galaxy note 3 and watch d videos bout it...

CIAO...

caukerzee: From your main post and other replies, it's obvious the HTC One is a better suited device for you. Even as a diehard samsung customer/fan, I recommend the HTC One for you. Reason being:
1. It's a better looking device.
2. SENSE 5 is less complicated than TouchWiz nature UX 2.0 .

But again, considering your budget. The HTC may just be expensive.

Thanks a lot guys...i will look up how each of the phones look on youtube. Thanks a lot for taking your time to respond, as I previously had no idea. Love you all! kiss

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 17, 2013
funkeyuche: Gud noon pals my bb tourch1 for sale at 16k lil probs charging point,am uche stay at lag orile call 08097382314 or what's app for pix n negotiation
everythin wey u get go always get lil problem.. them curse you mtcheewwww... nonsense...

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by networkgenuis: 6:15am On Oct 18, 2013
Remember to update us on the device you finally settled for.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 8:08pm On Oct 19, 2013
^^ I have fallen in love with HTC one wink... now i have to review my budget cool

Watched a lot of videos on it, and even the knife and hammer test shocked shocked.

Thanks a lot for your input guys... you are all awesome! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Baroba(m): 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2013
Hopefully you now know what GPU octacore and gorilla glass is.. grin. The htc one is a beautiful device, but be aware you cannot remove the battery or expand the memory.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 19, 2013
Baroba: Hopefully you now know what GPU octacore and gorilla glass is.. grin. The htc one is a beautiful device, but be aware you cannot remove the battery or expand the memory.
i bliv she saw all tht in d review.. i sha suggested samsung s4.. but if her mind has welcomed d htc one.... its also a great device...
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by psalmdave(m): 3:00am On Oct 20, 2013
nanidee: ^^ I have fallen in love with HTC one wink... now i have to review my budget cool

Watched a lot of videos on it, and even the knife and hammer test shocked shocked.

Thanks a lot for your input guys... you are all awesome! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Tell us about the test,and how much is the hTC 1
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2013
Baroba: Hopefully you now know what GPU octacore and gorilla glass is.. grin. The htc one is a beautiful device, but be aware you cannot remove the battery or expand the memory.
You lost me there undecided.
Honestly, i dont know what half the terminologies were all about, but they sure did sound good. lol grin grin. And yeah, the battery was also mentioned when they were comparing it with the s4, which actually left me a bit uncomfortable sha... because the major reason that got me in this phone situation started when my useless blackberry just refused to charge, and i felt it was the battery. Instead of killing myself over battery, i just decided it might be a good time to step up jare (been using the same phone for like 2 years now). So the battery issue actually got me thinking. However, i wont lie sha, the phone seems toooo good. I'm already planning how my salary will be shared and re-shared because of phone. Na wa o!

deejay_harry1: i bliv she saw all tht in d review.. i sha suggested samsung s4.. but if her mind has welcomed d htc one.... its also a great device...
Yeah, you did... i just somehow felt more drawn to the mini... maybe because its supposed to be cuter, or maybe because its cheaper sef grin, but then, the octagon octa stuff and the duo stuff now made me start feeling that the mini would be quite inferior... Dont know sha. That was when i took up the other suggestion for the htc, and mehn... i was overwhelmed with the reviews cool

psalmdave: Tell us about the test,and how much is the hTC 1
They used all sorts of stuff on the HTC one, but it was quite resilient. I will post the video on here
And as for the price, I have been checking different sellers, some prices I've seen range between £450 - £480 for the 32gb.
And the mini, i have seen for about £390.
However, I have also seen used 32gb selling between £200-£250 on ebay... and the 16gb for as low as £180. I dont know if they are authentic though, because i imagine the phone is new?
By the way, here's the video on the htc test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNI9Kflqw4
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by Sheuns(m): 11:50pm On Oct 20, 2013
Core simply means the processing power of ur device. And the exynos octa core is not true octave core. Don't wanna go Into further details u can Google Samsung exynos octa core to learn more. And what do u love doing most with ur device I mean like gaming, snapping and some other stuffs. Knowing wat u love most wud help u get the device DAT suits or style. Size also matters.
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by nanidee(f): 10:29am On Oct 21, 2013
^^ Thanks for the explanation, but this your "exynos octa core is not true octave core"... no thanks grin grin

Hmmm... All I do with phones is just download music, video recording, photos and social networking. Cést fini!... As in, that's really all.
Yeah, I dont like really big phones, they are just so unsexy wink. Something that's not too big (that can sit well in my palm) is ideal. That's one of the reasons these 'mini' phones actually sound kinda interesting... undecided
Re: Please I Need Advice On Purchasing A Smart Phone by networkgenuis: 11:20am On Oct 21, 2013
Good that you have narrowed down to your possible choice of device .It is always better to go for a new device even if it's 2x the price of the used one.
The used one could have an unknown fault, which may be what promted the owner to sell it, or it could be a stolen phone undecided

New phones from an authorized dealer comes with a warrantee, the importance of warrantee can not be over emphasized.

The only advantage I see in a used device is the price; which may turn out to be a case of penny-wise-pound foolish in the long run as the device could develop fault even a day after purchase.

As you are switching from BlackBerry OS to Android, you need the best of value for money both Software and Hardware wise.
Believe me, for a while you will have to grope around the UI in accessing even the most basic of apps in Android OS; yeah, its that complicated for newbies tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Downloaded Videos Not Playing / Tecno Camon C9 For Sale@ Akwa Ibom Or Port / Infinix Hot 6 Unboxing & Advantages over the Infinix Hot 6 Pro!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.