Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC - NYSC (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC (25798 Views)

Companies’ Rejection Of Corps Members Against Spirit Of NYSC – Dalong / Seven Categories Of Corps Members You Will Find In Any Orientation Camp. / 89% of corpers Lack Communication skills, can't write application letters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 6:07am On Oct 12, 2013
Bleep U̶̲̥̅̊, are U̶̲̥̅̊ frm Nigeria
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by azpekuliar: 6:17am On Oct 12, 2013
Anybody who doubts the outcome of this survey should just walk into the closest NYSC camp during the next orienation exercise for Batch A corp members & interact with "graduates". Prepare to be shocked! If you're looking for the evidence of a corrupt and rotting education system that is the place to find it!
I served in Kebbi a few years back and I met quite a number who couldn't even string 2, 3 correct sentences together! Talkless engage in an intellectual discourse.
Even the female corper who just warmed my bed last night wink doesn't even know what a headcount is! Don't even get me started on how we got along... cheesy
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Mahas84(m): 6:31am On Oct 12, 2013
Kemy11: The title suppose to be 89perct of northern students cannot communicate in English Language. Bar Turenchi.
people like you have useless education. because sentiment blinds your imagination to think mad and senseless. I was taught by many corpers from south who were poor in english and in subjects they were teaching.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phildon: 6:38am On Oct 12, 2013
MyJwell:

You used 'books'...so the complement should be....They will help you a lot...
ITK
He could be refering to 'studying' not the books as you thought.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Orikinla(m): 6:43am On Oct 12, 2013
Academic education in Nigeria in the last ten years has been a scam. Majority cheated from matriculation to graduation. The Nigerian graduates are not better than high school graduates in America and many of them are also intellectually re-tarded. But I blame the government for these academic failures and shortcomings in tertiary institutions in Nigeria and the employment of half-baked lecturers who will not even qualify to teach colleges in developed countries. Majority of our graduates also suffer from low esteem, and the females are worse, because majority of them got their papers by sleeping with lecturers and smarter male students.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 12, 2013
eaglechild:
Thanks for noticing the typo.
I'm using an auto complete keyboard.
wink
"Advice" is also a plural noun so it is grammatically incorrect to attach the singular "a" or "an" to "advice". You should have said "I gave some candid advice" instead of adding "a".
Perhaps those Eastern schools did not do much for you.
Otondo.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Ogadtop(m): 6:47am On Oct 12, 2013
Thebrightest: Pls, what can i do to be able to speak good English? I really need help.
Brighter grammar 1234

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Belloladan(m): 6:52am On Oct 12, 2013
[mr. Lier how do you arrived in a such conclusion =Promhize]Lmao grin ASUU!!!
89% is a lie, actually.

Look @ them[/quote]
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by sCun: 6:53am On Oct 12, 2013
KriTic24_A++:

Dear Sagamite,

I used to think of you as a decent person.

Don't let me start having other thoughts.

Let us cultivate the habit of correcting a fellow without sounding abusive.

If you know better than me, kindly correct me when i'm wrong.

You thought wrong sir.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Ogadtop(m): 6:54am On Oct 12, 2013
but my major concern with graduates not being able to communicate effectively in english is that is it the fault of university lectureres or secondary school teachers? i was only taught use of english in my 100 level which was not enof to justify my use of english.i think mote attention should be focused on secondary school education whenever we are talking about use of english and descipline among our students. i stand to be corrected.

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by DonMekino(m): 7:05am On Oct 12, 2013
the issue is that basic English communications is not learnt in d university...but during primary and secondary schools ....and its from those foundations that our educational rot started.

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by wordcat(m): 7:05am On Oct 12, 2013
[quote
author=Oga-@-d-top]but my major concern with graduates not being able
to communicate effectively in english is that is it the fault of
university lectureres or secondary school teachers? i was only taught
use of english in my 100 level which was not enof to justify my use of
english.i think mote attention should be focused on secondary school
education whenever we are talking about use of english and descipline
among our students. i stand to be corrected.[/quote]

Just put it this way;;;

No Educational System Will Rise Above The Quality Of Its Teachers.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by LausDeo(m): 7:11am On Oct 12, 2013
Fussbot:

what those that mean huh?
fussbot again...hahahaha
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phildon: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2013
Orikinla: Academic education in Nigeria in the last ten years has been a scam. Majority cheated from matriculation to graduation. The Nigerian graduates are not better than high school graduates in America and many of them are also intellectually re-tarded. But I blame the government for these academic failures and shortcomings in tertiary institutions in Nigeria and the employment of half-baked lecturers who will not even qualify to teach colleges in developed countries. Majority of our graduates also suffer from low esteem, and the females are worse, because majority of them got their papers by sleeping with lecturers and smarter male students.
You made a lot of sense here.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phildon: 7:29am On Oct 12, 2013
daz_york:
"Advice" is also a plural noun so it is grammatically incorrect to attach the singular "a" or "an" to "advice". You should have said "I gave some candid advice" instead of adding "a".
Otondo.
I disagree with you on injecting 'candid' into his sentence. While the noun number structure is not his, the qualification of the noun is entirely his business.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 7:32am On Oct 12, 2013
phildon: I disagree with you on injecting 'candid' into his sentence. While the noun number structure is not his, the qualification of the noun is entirely his business.
Thank you.
Jakande schools don't teach this.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 7:37am On Oct 12, 2013
daz_york:
Otondo.
See Phildon's post.
Thank you.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by kusiroll(m): 8:05am On Oct 12, 2013
Thebrightest: Pls, what can i do to be able to speak good English? I really need help.
go and get yourself "brighter grammar"

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Kemy11(m): 8:18am On Oct 12, 2013
Mahas84: people like you have useless education. because sentiment blinds your imagination to think mad and senseless. I was taught by many corpers from south who were poor in english and in subjects they were teaching.
correct your English or I ll put you among the 89%. Bar Turenchi
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by peculiar17(m): 8:26am On Oct 12, 2013
U dey ok so?na lie jare,d fact dt ppl speak more of pidgin among their peers dsnt mean dey cnt communicate in good english within particular circles..abeg if u hv nothng 2say 2corp members den kip mute,talkin rubbish wt impunity
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by kolado(m): 8:38am On Oct 12, 2013
Sagamite:

What is this person saying?

Awon Alaba boys sold you fake mental health drugs you are suppose to be taking?
: undecided E no dey funny jawe. u jxt fool ursef around like[/b][b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] slowpoke..............
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Okikiade(m): 8:43am On Oct 12, 2013
Way To Development:Mother-Tongue first(regional communication skills) 2.Universal National Language i.e. Pidgin English as Lingua Franca 3.Diplomatic Language should be English(Brt/Ame) & French! Reason for choosing Pidgin English is the proximity to both the 'educated' and 'illiterate'. Decoding matters in effective communication skills! My case!
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phildon: 9:04am On Oct 12, 2013
Kemy11: The title suppose to be 89perct of northern students cannot communicate in English Language. Bar Turenchi.

Must we bring in bigotry to every problem in this country no matter how general the case may be? Well, browse and read the links below. It will change you if you are the learning type.

http://www.informationng.com/2012/10/questionable-degrees-nysc-rejects-three-illiterate-graduates-of-esut.html

www.nairaland.com/1074812/nysc-reject-illiterate-graduates-esut
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:30am On Oct 12, 2013
DonMekino: the issue is that basic English communications is not learnt in d university...but during primary and secondary schools ....and its from those foundations that our educational rot started.
You are right, basic spoken English starts from primary and secondary schools. The foundation is laid here. You only build on it in the higher institution. You can also help yourself by reading wide and listening to people that are good at spoken English. This helps me. Each time I listen or read, I take note of expressions. I noticed a new form of expression about a year ago: eg, "I trained in OAU" as against "I was trained in OAU" that was used in the past.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 9:40am On Oct 12, 2013
kolado: : undecided E no dey funny jawe. u jxt fool ursef around like[/b][b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] slowpoke..............

You are a person.

Which schools failed you?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by mystical10: 9:43am On Oct 12, 2013
who is to blame?. He who school in government primary and secondary schools especially those in remote area are amongs these 89%. Pls leave matter for mathias, 10yrs coming the percentage will increase to 99%.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 9:58am On Oct 12, 2013
mystical10: who is to blame?. He who school in government primary and secondary schools especially those in remote area are amongs these 89%. Pls leave matter for mathias, 10yrs coming the percentage will increase to 99%.

You can't blame people being unfortunate especially those from remote areas.

But when you have people especially from towns and cities who have a vast array of resources and access to knowledge to them, yet all they want to do is dance Alanta, use the internet to see what Banky W is doing or what Linda Ikeji is saying and who willfully degenerate themselves and their education (e.g. posting with textspeak, make no attempt to think before giving an opinion etc), then they are very much to blame too.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 12, 2013
phildon: I disagree with you on injecting 'candid' into his sentence. While the noun number structure is not his, the qualification of the noun is entirely his business.
Did you even read his post (which I quoted in case he edited it)?
Go back and read it.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by babskerbo: 10:09am On Oct 12, 2013
[
my man keep UR month shut,i was posted 2 kano last yr b4 i redeployed majority of ABOKI which is corp don't communicate wt Universal language only HAUSA
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 12, 2013
eaglechild:
Thank you.
Jakande schools don't teach this.
Look at this jackass. What has he said which exonerates you?
Btw I went to school in England so the joke is on you.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Slim101(m): 10:17am On Oct 12, 2013
ogunteluwo: This is no more a new thing, instead of tackling the way out. Taking a disciple step like testing them before encamping them will give a sit up notice to them. And providing the consequences of not passing the Oral and writing test, like giving them no way to camp with the successful ones or repeating the camp the following year. I was once a victim of this but I went on researches to develop myself and God helped me. If I can improve, it means these people can improve too. It is a matter of willingness.

Sorry, you don't sound eloquent yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corper Who Lost Arms In Ghastly Auto Crash To Get Automatic Job - NYSC DG / Batch B Corpers In Ondo East Dancing As They Collect Their Nysccertificate / NYSC: 2016 Batch A Time Table Update.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.