Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Putting A Laptop On Your Lap Linked To Male Infertility And Skin Discoloration - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Putting A Laptop On Your Lap Linked To Male Infertility And Skin Discoloration (19299 Views)

The Danger In Having Your Laptop On Your Lap / How A Snake Destroyed My Lap Top / Buying A Laptop On Ebay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Putting A Laptop On Your Lap Linked To Male Infertility And Skin Discoloration by sod50: 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
[img]http://1.bp..com/-deydgRcpS-4/UlQrVpwgrBI/AAAAAAAABUQ/O_gcL0qlinM/s400/laptop+on+lap.jpg[/img]

I believe we'll all learn from this. I'm kind of scared right now cause am so used to putting my sleekbook pc on my lap all the time.I jumped on this article online while on some research work.

You'd think with the term laptop you could safely put a laptop on your lap. However according to many studies and a news articles, your lap is the worst place you can put your laptop. Laptops emit heat as they run, and this heat can affect parts of your body in many different ways. For instance, a WebMD news article cited a study in which it was determined that male fertility may be affected by laptop use. The heat emitted from the portable computers has been cited to have a similar effect on men as taking hot baths. News sources advise young boys and men of child rearing age to abstain from or closely monitor the amount of time they spend with a laptop sitting on the lap.

Putting a laptop on your lap is not only bad for your skin, but it's also bad for your computer because it can partially or completely inhibit the exhaust fan, which can lead to overheating.

Women are not exempt from the negative effects of putting a computer on the lap. Other articles talk about a condition known as toasted leg syndrome. Toasted legs syndrome is an and usual looking skin condition where the skin on the legs look molted and discolored. The skin turns an unattractive brown color. According to researchers at the University Hospital Basel in Switzerland, a laptop computer causes dermatosis, which is a permanent skin tan. Although rare, in some cases sitting a laptop on your lap for long periods of time can cause skin cancer.

Airticles on the same topic reads as follows on mercola.com
Why Your Reproductive Health May be Especially at Risk

If you're a man who uses a laptop often, and you would like to have children in the future, or simply protect your reproductive health, consider this a warning … In the first study to evaluate the direct impact of laptop use on human sperm, published in the journal Fertility and Sterility, those exposed to a wireless internet-connected laptop showed a significant decrease in sperm motility and an increase in sperm DNA fragmentation. And this was after just four hours of exposure. Researchers concluded:

"We speculate that keeping a laptop connected wirelessly to the internet on the lap near the testes may result in decreased male fertility."

The culprit? Once again, it appears the electromagnetic radiation generated during use of wireless devices, similar to that generated during cell phone use, may have a devastating impact on your fertility.

Previous studies have found that laptop use may damage sperm through a thermal effect, that is, by heating up the scrotum during use (this occurred even when a lap pad was used, most likely because the mens' closed leg position, required to balance the laptop, also contributed to the heating effect).i However the current study found laptop use also leads to non-thermal adverse effects, which means even if you manage to avoid the heating effect, laptop use, on your lap, may still damage your fertility.

This is an area that deserves immediate and serious attention, considering use of wireless technologies is growing at an exponential rate. And it's not only laptops that are the problem … According to a study published in Fertility and Sterility in 2008,ii statistically significant changes were found in mens' sperm count and health of the sperm based on cell phone use, too. Their conclusion?

"Use of cell phones decreases the semen quality in men by decreasing the sperm count, motility, viability and normal morphology. The decrease in sperm parameters was dependent on the duration of daily exposure to cell phones, and independent of the initial semen quality."

EMFs Well-Known to Cause DNA Damage

Dr. Martin Blank, PhD, of Columbia University and one of the most experienced researchers of the cellular and molecular effects of EMFs in the United States, gave an informative speech at the November 18, 2010 Commonwealth Club of California program, "The Health Effects of Electromagnetic Fields," co-sponsored by ElectromagneticHealth.org.

Dr. Blank spoke with deep experience and commanding authority on the impact of EMFs on cells and DNA, and explained why your DNA, with its 'coil of coils' structure, is especially vulnerable to electromagnetic fields of all kinds. As described in the International Journal of Radiation Biology, DNA possesses the two structural characteristics of fractal antennas, electronic conduction and self-symmetry.

These properties contribute to greater reactivity of DNA to electromagnetic fields than other tissues, making the long-term consequences of repeated microwave exposures to our genetic material of great concern. Dr. Blank is adamant when he says that there IS evidence of harm, and that the harm can be significant. He also points out that the science showing harmful effects has been peer-reviewed, published, and that the results have been replicated, evaluated and "judged by scientists capable of judging it."

Even barring all the scientific evidence, it simply makes sense that laptops, cell phones and other wireless technology can impact the human body once you understand that your body is bioelectric. Your body contains electrons that keep an electrical current flowing, and inside every cell are mitochondria, the 'power plants' of the cell that respond to the body's natural electromagnetic fields.

As Dr. Maret explains in an interview with ElectromagneticHealth.org, your body is a complex communication system where cells, tissues, organs, and organisms "talk" -- it's a veritable "electronic symphony in your body."iv This communication includes finely tuned bio-electrical transmitters and receivers, which are tuned like tuning into a radio station. And when you expose a radio antenna to a significant amount of external noise, you get static, and that is what is happening to your body in today's EMF-saturated environment. More useful Tech Tips

(1) (Reply)

Help! Ma Modem No Longer Recognises Sim Card! / I Forgot The Password To My Laptop, Pls Help / How Do I Recover My Lost Folder On External Hard Drive: Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.