Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,010 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant (12864 Views)

Appeal Court Sacks Senator Sekibo, Other PDP Lawmakers / Rivers Poll: Tribunal Upholds Election Of 6 PDP Lawmakers / 15 PDP Lawmakers Flee Benue As APC Member Emerges Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by atlwireles: 1:25am On Oct 12, 2013
THE Bamanga Tukur-led Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) is set to declare vacant seats of members of the National Assembly with sympathy for the Abubakar Baraje-led faction of the party.
It was gathered that the Bamanga Tukur-led PDP is repackaging the plan to declare the seats vacant following Thursday’s decision by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to recognise the Tukur leadership and the dismissal of a case instituted in Lagos by the Baraje faction.
“The G7 governors lost round one and round two in the course of the week. Now the fate of the G7 is not certain because a number of measures are on hand to deal with the situation. The group has challenged the authority of the PDP. The PDP led by Tukur may declare the seats of all new PDP and those who openly or quietly associate with them in the National Assembly vacant,” a source close to the party said.
It was also gathered that some shockers await members of the National Working Committee of the new PDP as members of the mainstream PDP are describing their action as a civilian coup.
“What they did amounts to a civilian coup. They wanted to take over the leadership of the party by force. This sort of attitude is not in line with the disciplined ethics of the Tukur-led PDP and it is very clear that the Board of Trustees and the National Working Committee (NWC) will not tolerate any such thing,” another source said.
Investigations within the mainstream PDP also confirmed that the party had so far followed the disposition of President Goodluck Jonathan, who has insisted that the rule of law must be followed in all instances.
“His government has, so far, followed the rule of law. That is why there is no hard stance or drastic action against the agitators even when they worked against the party. Now, he has told the party to handle the matter in accordance with the rule of law,” sources close to the government said.
It was also gathered that the government has decided to place all security agencies on red alert to ensure that all parties obey the ruling of the courts as delivered by the Lagos court on Thursday.
“The security agencies are on alert to stop anybody who violates the court order and anyone who attempts to disrespect the position of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC),” a source said in Abuja on Friday.
Meanwhile, the PDP has said it is extending the olive branch to the aggrieved members of the party in the interest of peace.
In a statement issued in Abuja, the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr Olisa Metuh, urged the members to return to the party’s fold.
The members, who include the governors of Niger, Kano, Rivers, Sokoto, Kwara, Adamawa and Jigawa states, appointed fresh officers to run the affairs of the party and later filed a case against the party’s leadership.
The aggrieved members also wrote to INEC urging it not to recognise the Bamanga Tukur-led PDP, but the commission turned down the request.
The statement called on the aggrieved members “to come back home now” since INEC has recognised the Alhaji Bamanga Tukur-led executive as the authentic national executive of the party.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by solihu(m): 1:32am On Oct 12, 2013
Patiently waiting as more drama unfolds. PDP! More power to the powerful! Make una chop una shit! Nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Nobody: 1:35am On Oct 12, 2013
Neither Tukur nor PDP has the power to declare a seat vacant. Their seats become vacant only by death, recall, incapacitation or imprisonment. Anything short of those reasons I listed should be regarded as arbitrary of law.

Supreme Court: Obasanjo vs Atiku.... 2006

8 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Splinz(m): 1:47am On Oct 12, 2013
G7 WATEVA ARE JST BUNCHES OF CONFUSED & MISGUIDED LEADERS! THEY'RE ACTING LIKE NOVICES IN POLITIC. ISN IT A SHAME ON THEIR PART THAT BOTH THE COURT RULING & INEC RECOGNISED THE MAINSTREAM PDP. THEY BETA RETURN 2 D FOLD LYK PRODICAL SONS. PDP IS ONE!

5 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by theoctopus: 2:24am On Oct 12, 2013
payless: Neither Tukur nor PDP has the power to declare a seat vacant. Their seats become vacant only by death, recall, incapacitation or imprisonment. Anything short of those reasons I listed should be regarded as arbitrary of law.

Please get a copy of the electoral act before making comments. We are guided by the electoral act, not a 2006 court judgement. The electoral act was passed into law in 2010. Update yourself

24 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Nobody: 3:02am On Oct 12, 2013
theoctopus:

Please get a copy of the electoral act before making comments. We are guided by the electoral act, not a 2006 court judgement. The electoral act was passed into law in 2010. Update yourself
Show me where electoral law vested power in Tukur's hand to declare a seat vacant. I am waiting for that section of the so called 'electoral law' where power is vested in the hands of party chairmen to declare vacant a seat of a democratically elected politician.

3 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by seanet02: 3:54am On Oct 12, 2013
theoctopus:

Hypocrite
When Theordore Orji ported from PPA to PDP, who declared vacant his seat?

14 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by kabtainkab(m): 4:05am On Oct 12, 2013
[b][/b]
Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by tmotmo: 6:21am On Oct 12, 2013
payless: Neither Tukur nor PDP has the power to declare a seat vacant. Their seats become vacant only by death, recall, incapacitation or imprisonment. Anything short of those reasons I listed should be regarded as arbitrary of law.

Old Boy, you must be lawyer from birth grin grin
You just quote the right judgement of 2006.

No shaking 4 new PDP.

I remembered that Sen Obanikoro decamped to PDP 4rm ACN and nothing happen

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by gerrardomendes(m): 6:26am On Oct 12, 2013
politial sucide. Wot wil patrick obiaghabon call this? Atikurization or atikucrazy grin
Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by fkaz(m): 6:33am On Oct 12, 2013
It's just a threat, not in nigeria.
Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Tunjasko(m): 6:35am On Oct 12, 2013
The aggrieved members should team up with another party....No party in Nigeria would allow this mess

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Goddex: 6:42am On Oct 12, 2013

Why exhibit ignorance?

4 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by awodman: 7:13am On Oct 12, 2013
Shey I predicted this cheesy cheesy..my advise to the so called nPDP members in national assembly is please be guided

2 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:22am On Oct 12, 2013

The PDP has the power to declare their seats vacant. It is the party that is voted for in an election and not the individual.

Amaechi vs Omehia: Supreme court (2007)

12 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Symphony007: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2013
Let me see jega come out and tell me that a party has the power to declare vacant the seats of generally elected members of the national assembly because they refused to recognise one toothless old man with traits of imbecility as party chairman....repulsive party, your end is near. We're watching.

5 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Symphony007: 7:26am On Oct 12, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

The PDP has the power to declare their seats vacant. It is the party that is voted for in an election and not an individual.

Amaechi vs Omehia: Supreme court (2007)
this is just simple coomon sense. So if they PDP declare those seats vacant, they will now ask for candidates to come and contest for those seats? And you expect the existing holders to vacate because some swines at PDP said so? I'll love to see how this constitutional crisis play out.

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by sEyi6: 7:37am On Oct 12, 2013
Investigations within the mainstream PDP also confirmed that the party had so far followed the disposition of President Goodluck Jonathan, who has insisted that the rule of law must be followed in all instances.
“His government has, so far, followed the rule of law.
That is why there is no hard stance or drastic action against the agitators even when they worked against the party. Now, he has told the party to handle the matter in accordance with the rule of law,” sources close to the government said.

grin grin
Since when did the president start following the rule of law? If the action by the supporters(Akpabio, mimiko, Jang...) of mr president at the NGF election is what they term 'rule of law', then I've got to get an Aso villa revised dictionary for meaning of words.
cheesy

8 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:42am On Oct 12, 2013
Symphony007: this is just simple coomon sense. So if they PDP declare those seats vacant, they will now ask for candidates to come and contest for those seats? And you expect the existing holders to vacate because some swines at PDP said so? I'll love to see how this constitutional crisis play out.

A precedent has been set by the supreme court ruling in the Amaechi vs Omehia case. If the lawmakers eventually leaves the PDP for another party or are expelled fir obvious anti party activities, they have no choice but to leave. Failure to do so, the arm of government responsible for the execution or enforcement of the laws of the Federal republic will swing into action and your guess is as good as mine.

There is no doubt that members of the nPDP are in hot soup.

7 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by sEyi6: 7:42am On Oct 12, 2013
Symphony007: this is just simple coomon sense. So if they PDP declare those seats vacant, they will now ask for candidates to come and contest for those seats? And you expect the existing holders to vacate because some swines at PDP said so? I'll love to see how this constitutional crisis play out.

grin grin welcome on board, our politicians and judiciary have broken too many of our said laws that I doubt if this country has any constitution or law guiding the people.
Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by awodman: 8:09am On Oct 12, 2013
$£yi:

grin grin
Since when did the president start following the rule of law? If the action by the supporters(Akpabio, mimiko, Jang...) of mr president at the NGF election is what they term 'rule of law', then I've got to get an Aso villa revised dictionary for meaning of words.
cheesy
NGF is not a body known to the constitution and the law books of this country and last I checked the president was not a contender in that election..so why drag him into this?

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by taharqa: 8:10am On Oct 12, 2013
seanet02:
Hypocrite
When Theordore Orji ported from PPA to PDP, who declared vacant his seat?
Don't be an IGNORAMUS. An Executive position may not be declared vacant if porting occurs, but d seat of a Legislator that ports can be declared vacant as long as there are no factions in his/her party. That is d law

5 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Symphony007: 8:13am On Oct 12, 2013
Sunny_bobo:

A precedent has been set by the supreme court ruling in the Amaechi vs Omehia case. If the lawmakers eventually leaves the PDP for another party or are expelled fir obvious anti party activities, they have no choice but to leave. Failure to do so, the arm of government responsible for the execution or enforcement of the laws of the Federal republic will swing into action and your guess is as good as mine.

There is no doubt that members of the nPDP are in hot soup.
please, remind me what ruling that was because the last time i checked an appeals court in port harcourt remove omeahia as governor not the supreme court.

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Symphony007: 8:18am On Oct 12, 2013
taharqa: Don't be an IGNORAMUS. An Executive position may not be declared vacant if porting occurs, but d seat of a Legislator that ports can be declared vacant as long as there are no factions in his/her party. That is d law
you people are talking will drunk fellows. So let's assume you are drunk, the PDP declares the seat of lawmakers in 7 states vacant. Here comes the hangover, will the PDP now declare new elections for those seats, and those existing lawmakers will abandoned a mandate given to them by their constituiency becaue the PDP says otherwise? I'm so loving this PDP implosion.

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:24am On Oct 12, 2013
Symphony007: please, remind me what ruling that was because the last time i checked an appeals court in port harcourt remove omeahia as governor not the supreme court.

"THE way this story ended, is well known and also controversial. That’s because the Supreme Court didn’t just declare Amaechi the authentic flag-bearer of PDP. It removed Omehia, who had been sworn in since May 29, 2007, and replaced him with Amaechi.
This made Amaechi the first governor ever to hold office, without standing for election. The Supreme Court ruled that: (a) parties, not individuals, contest; (b) the PDP won the gubernatorial contest; and (c) Amaechi, being the lawful PDP nominee, was technically its candidate for governor."

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/11/celebrating-amaechi-vs-omehia-ceremony-set-in-the-future2/

10 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by dridowu: 8:27am On Oct 12, 2013
He dare not , let him declare d sit vacant at his own peril.
######team feedeefee crisis######
Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by ikweremilitant: 8:36am On Oct 12, 2013
theoctopus:

pls tell d tinubu mugu

1 Like

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:38am On Oct 12, 2013
dridowu: He dare not , let him declare d sit vacant at his own peril.
######team feedeefee crisis######
You are needed here; https://www.nairaland.com/1474776/rival-apc-factions-clash-abeokuta

That's where the real crisis is.

2 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by kokoA(m): 8:59am On Oct 12, 2013
The party is already factionalize so PDP has no right to declare their seats vacant. The electoral law allows the party to declare a legislator's seat vacant if the occupier decides to decamp to another political party, but in a situation where the party in question is divided into factions, the legislator is free to join any faction within the party without loosing his seat.

8 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by figment232(m): 9:03am On Oct 12, 2013

My friend read the constitution .section 68 subsection g. It states that.a seat in d national assembly shall be declared vacant if d occupant declares for another party as against d one on which platform he was elected,provided that there is no faction in d party.

2 Likes

Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by taharqa: 9:07am On Oct 12, 2013
Symphony007: you people are talking will drunk fellows. So let's assume you are drunk, the PDP declares the seat of lawmakers in 7 states vacant. Here comes the hangover, will the PDP now declare new elections for those seats, and those existing lawmakers will abandoned a mandate given to them by their constituiency becaue the PDP says otherwise? I'm so loving this PDP implosion.
After they declare the seats vacant, they wud invite people like you to fill d positions. Ok?... IJIOT
Re: PDP To Declare New PDP Lawmakers’ Seats Vacant by figment232(m): 9:09am On Oct 12, 2013
payless: Show me where electoral law vested power in Tukur's hand to declare a seat vacant. I am waiting for that section of the so called 'electoral law' where power is vested in the hands of party chairmen to declare vacant a seat of a democratically elected politician.
Tukur would go to court to effect d declaration of d seats vacant n d court wud gladly grant his wish.I pity TAMBUMWA now his impeachment is imminent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Jonathan & Buhari By Akinyemi: Warns Them Against Violence / Kogi's Rank On Reduced Domestic Debts, Highest FDI Linked To Bello's Policies / Over 1000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Sokoto (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.