Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,861 members, 7,813,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Nigerian Bloggers Fail On International Day Of The Girl Child - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Nigerian Bloggers Fail On International Day Of The Girl Child (514 Views)

How To Celebrate Nelson Mandela International Day / The International Day Of Food Photography / October 11: International Day Of The Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Bloggers Fail On International Day Of The Girl Child by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
http://9jaflave..com/2013/10/nigerian-bloggers-fail-on-international-day-of-girl-child.html

Yesterday was marked as the 'International Day of the Girl Child' worldwide.
United Nations General Assembly declared October 11 every year as the “International Day of the girl child”. This day according to UN is to “focus attention on the need to address the challenges girls face and to promote girls' empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.” A day set aside to promote human rights and address discrimination and violence faced by girls.

I searched through major Nigerian News/Entertainment/Gossip Blogs looking for a featured post relevant to the “International Day of the girl child”, but alas I found none.

The past week has been bursting with news about 2013 nobel awards and numerous stories (awards & interviews) of the inspiring 16-year old Pakistani girl, Malala Yousafzai- 'the bravest girl in the world', an advocate for the education of the girl child. The sad tale is that none of this inspiring stuff has made it to the pages of so-called Naija blogs!

Instead what do I see? Naked pictures of Afrocandy & Maheeda, 'celebrity smoking shisha', Karen Igho/Yvonne Nelson skit, etc. Pathetic- your blogging grieves my soul! It appears bloggers do not understand the latent power they wield and the social responsibility attached to it. The truth is people will always feed on what you give to them- especially the young and gullible. I do not want to even begin to talk about half-truths and outright slander that some blogs propagate.

It brings me to another question: What kind of society are we building? We complain every time about our leaders- but what impact are you making yourself? A destructive or constructive one? When you read Huffington post, the popular US blog, you do not need to be told they are driving the LGBT agenda. When Naija bloggers bombard us with unnecessary indecent exposure by so-called naija celebs, then what agenda are they driving? Perhaps they have no agenda or purpose, other than gossip!

Sadly, on the internet there is no censorship. You can post what you want, but you should consider the social impact of your posts, as minors visit your blogs too! What does your blog glorify? Is it nudity, indecency or 'get-rich-at-all-cost'. Some Naija celebs need to grow up too. Why would a full grown man or woman put a picture of himself and some change he/she has just made on social media? I think that's daft, even for security reasons. I have never seen Bill Gates, Dangote or even a young Mark Zuckerberg being so crass!

I daresay with the way blogging is going in Nigeria, the government may have an excuse to bring in some kind of regulation or censorship. It is not my intention to court controversy, but if I do, so be it. This is my personal opinion which I am entitled to.

I seize this medium to call out to all notable naija blogs, especially the entertainment bloggers: Bella Naija, Linda Ikeji, Ladun Liadi, Miss Petite (Emeh Achanga), Laila, Kemi Filani, just to mention a few! Please exercise some discretion in your posts. Do not overlook the social impact you are capable of- positively or negatively. Celebrities enjoy attention, but you don't have to post every crap shared on instagram, twitter or facebook!

Have a nice weekend!
Ufuoma@9jaFlave

*PS: In case you are wondering why Linda Ikeji's picture is up there- well, she is the most popular blogger in Nigeria. Infact the 'face of blogging in Nigeria' and many Nigerian entertainment bloggers have modelled their blogs after hers. She is the pacesetter and I hope she reads this article.
For more go to link below smiley

http://9jaflave..com/2013/10/nigerian-bloggers-fail-on-international-day-of-girl-child.html
Re: Nigerian Bloggers Fail On International Day Of The Girl Child by frankflor(f): 10:19pm On Oct 12, 2013
My sister, it is very unfortunate. Most of these bloggers went into blogging because of the false notion of quick money. The internet has become a platform for stupidity. Wasted generation indeed.

(1) (Reply)

HURRAY! Today Is My Birthday. / Independent Day Rice / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.