Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,039 members, 7,828,652 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources (4679 Views)

What Really Caused The Nigerian Civil War Of 1967 - 1969? / The "Backwardness" Of Nigeria After Hosting FESTAC 77, Myth Or Reality? / Amaechi And Jonathan: What Caused The Rift ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Ogbonaikenna(m): 12:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
Segeggs: my question to you is, which state in naija has produced more intelects like ekiti?
please can you prove that ekiti has the highest number of scholars? I need source.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 13, 2013
cashkid18: ode!!y dont u read meanin into wt he typed instead of talkin another tin..wt he meant was dt lagos wit its small mass n hvin d priviledge of bein d nations formal capital unlike aba,onitsha n ph wic neva had fg presence shud bin able to b more lyk NY N oda world class cities
was calabar not also once a capital? Where is today in comparison with lagos? Far behind.

Btw, is lagos not the NY and london of igbos, where they throng to? undecided
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by 1MCN: 12:12pm On Oct 13, 2013
Ayekotoo:

Hw did you arrive at this again? you people are really comedians. where are the universities in south east? I can't just stop laughing at you people living in ignorant's paradise.
Honestly, I used to think Imo state would take the lead in the states with the highest number of Higher institutions in the country cos Owerri City seems to have a good number of higher institutions, not until I saw Ogun (or Osun, can't which exactly) on one of the most recent JAMB brochures. But however, just a few years ago JAMB regretted in one of their statistical reports that the number of registrants from Imo State alone was almost double the total number of registrants from the entire NE! You still remember that the SE states were the states with the highest cut-off marks in this year's Unity Schools Common Entrance Examination. When questioned, the exam body said if allowed totally on merit, that just Anambra and Imo students who made the highest marks was enough to fill the entire space. Now, is it the guy you quoted that's living in "Ignorant's paradise"?
You might have attended tertiary school in your region. After the particular tribe of that region, which other tribe takes the highest number of undergraduates in your school? Am not saying authoritatively that it must be the Igbo. But am suspecting it is. Be sincere here.
Again, if you've served the NYSC you probably would not say these people are illiterates. You know what? A good number of the guys you see doing business in Alaba, Idumota and Ladipo are grdauates who can't afford to wait for goverment employment. Friend, my point is, just travel a little around this Igbo region of SE and parts of SS. You might not be shocked altogether, but your opinion will definitely reshape.

7 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
^^^ poo.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by emiye(m): 12:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
Ekiti was created alongside 5 other states(zamfara, ebonyi, bayelsa, yobe and nasarrawa) in 1996. It has the least allocation per capita of all the 36 states, it has also had turbulent and unstable democratic experience that affected its development. I am of the believe that at the end of the current governors second term in 2018, the state would have a witnessed a step change/remarkable improvement.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by cashkid18(m): 1:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
Segeggs: was calabar not also once a capital? Where is today in comparison with lagos? Far behind.

Btw, is lagos not the NY and london of igbos, where they throng to? undecided
for hw many yrs n wt infrastructure was there durin dt tym unlike lagos dt withnessed massve infrastructure during d military regime jst lyk abj is withnessin it today.

wic of d lagos is d ny of igbos..luks lyk u ar watchin too much of nollywood bro
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by ikweremilitant: 1:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
Ayekotoo:

Hw did you arrive at this again? you people are really comedians. where are the universities in south east? I can't just stop laughing at you people living in ignorant's paradise.
if u askwere re d universites in d east dat means dia is none in d west.as ibadan as nsukka,as oau as nau.d best college of edu in west africa is alvan ikeoku owere.d best uni of tech in nija is futo owere.one of d best poly nekede owere one of d best agric skol is mikel okpara at umudike,d fist state uni in nigeria is imsu.d fist nd only meterlugical institute in nija is at oba onitsha,d fist private uni in nija is madona okija all in d east of d nija.so drop dat cheap schinap ure drinkng
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by PHIPEX(m): 1:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Am not trying to turn this to ethnic contest but one thing am very sure of is that the attraction Lagos has for virtually all citizens of this country has a negative effect on the economy of every other state in the country. The best from these states especially South Western states, South-East, and South-South migrate to Lagos and their individual states are almost left to grow at a very slow pace. This could explain why every Yoruba man claims Lagos while Igbos residing in Lagos still lay claim to part-ownership of Lagos.

The only saviour of the South East (I haven't been to much of South south) is that their wealth in the city is in direct proportion to the development of their rural areas (it's rare to see an Igbo who owns a good house in Lagos without having another good house in the village), this can not be said of Ekiti. In doing this, the 'villages' of South-East easily compare with some towns in the country, maybe this is because they travel regularly to the East.

If the professors from Ekiti who most likely have left their state could endeavor to put up structures in their rural area where they come from and lay less emphases on the development of Lagos, the story of Ekiti could change sooner than we think.

11 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by JingoOAU(m): 1:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Its like some people dnt even understand the motive of creating this thread in the first place. Whether Ekiti boasts of having the highest numb ers of intellects or not, the fact still remains that Ekiti has hundreds of thousands of scholars, dons, professors, scientists, politicians, bankers, business moguls, and a very rich cultural heritage.

One thing I noticed about them is that whenever they have the opportunity to travel outside Ekiti state, they don't always come back to rebuild their compound, infact, some of them prefers to die and be buried in a foreign land.

Moreso, an average Ekiti man always behave like a village or local person. They dnt wear expensive clothes, nor lavish money on building houses, they dnt associate with people, they dnt celebrate parties, all they are after is education.

The Ekitis aRe just another rare brred of God's creature who are always content with their graduate studies.....

1 Like

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Antivirus92(m): 1:17pm On Oct 13, 2013
The reason why ekiti and other sw states are under developed is because of their constant falsification of facts and statistics to suit them and place them at the top when it does not reflect on their true standard of living.

4 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2013
ikwere militant: if u askwere re d universites in d east dat means dia is none in d west.as ibadan as nsukka,as oau as nau.d best college of edu in west africa is alvan ikeoku owere.d best uni of tech in nija is futo owere.one of d best poly nekede owere one of d best agric skol is mikel okpara at umudike,d fist state uni in nigeria is imsu.d fist nd only meterlugical institute in nija is at oba onitsha,d fist private uni in nija is madona okija all in d east of d nija.so drop dat cheap schin
liar!!!

NUC 2013 list of top universities in nigeria has 6 SW Schools in the top 10 and no SE schools.

The best agric sch is univ of agriculture abeokuta and not the rubbish you wrote up there.

75% of private universities in nigeria are in the SW e.g bowen, landmark, redeemers, mountain top, caleb, lead city, covenant, bells etc.

Its funny how igbos can come online to spew garbage.

4 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 13, 2013
Antivirus92: The reason why ekiti and other sw states are under developed is because of their constant falsification of facts and statistics to suit them and place them at the top when it does not reflect on their true standard of living.
but yet igbos run to those places for survival.

3 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Ogbonaikenna(m): 3:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
Its like some people dnt even understand the motive of creating this thread in the first place. Whether Ekiti boasts of having the highest numb ers of intellects or not, the fact still remains that Ekiti has hundreds of thousands of scholars, dons, professors, scientists, politicians, bankers, business moguls, and a very rich cultural heritage.

One thing I noticed about them is that whenever they have the opportunity to travel outside Ekiti state, they don't always come back to rebuild their compound, infact, some of them prefers to die and be buried in a foreign land.

Moreso, an average Ekiti man always behave like a village or local person. They dnt wear expensive clothes, nor lavish money on building houses, they dnt associate with people, they dnt celebrate parties, all they are after is education.

The Ekitis aRe just another rare brred of God's creature who are always content with their graduate studies.....
i served in ekiti state and i can authoritatively tell you that the reason why they don't like showing off their wealth is due to fear of being killed. This problem is not peculiar to ekiti though. I also noticed it during my stay in ondo state
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Ogbonaikenna(m): 3:27pm On Oct 13, 2013
Segeggs: but yet igbos run to those places for survival.
they run to thoses places to tap the untap opportunities. Note that most igbos go to sw to engage in small scale businesses cos yorubas are not good in that line

2 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by dayokanu(m): 4:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
ikwere militant: if u askwere re d universites in d east dat means dia is none in d west.as ibadan as nsukka,as oau as nau.d best college of edu in west africa is alvan ikeoku owere.d best uni of tech in nija is futo owere.one of d best poly nekede owere one of d best agric skol is mikel okpara at umudike,d fist state uni in nigeria is imsu.d fist nd only meterlugical institute in nija is at oba onitsha,d fist private uni in nija is madona okija all in d east of d nija.so drop dat cheap schinap ure drinkng

Only a Lunatic would compare

Find me the equivalent for

UI, OAU, UNILAG, --Universities

YABATech, IbadanPoly - Polytechnics

Best agric school is FUNAAB

And compare the number of private Universities in both regions

Go check the ranking of Nigerian Universities globall check the number of SW Universities in top echelon and those from SE and get back to me.

2 Likes

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Odunharry(m): 4:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
dayokanu:

Only a Lunatic would compare

Find me the equivalent for

UI, OAU, UNILAG, --Universities

YABATech, IbadanPoly - Polytechnics

Best agric school is FUNAAB

And compare the number of private Universities in both regions

Go check the ranking of Nigerian Universities globall check the number of SW Universities in top echelon and those from SE and get back to me.
leave dat guy

1 Like

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Alexbond(m): 4:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
ikwere militant: if u askwere re d universites in d east dat means dia is none in d west.as ibadan as nsukka,as oau as nau.d best college of edu in west africa is alvan ikeoku owere.d best uni of tech in nija is futo owere.one of d best poly nekede owere one of d best agric skol is mikel okpara at umudike,d fist state uni in nigeria is imsu.d fist nd only meterlugical institute in nija is at oba onitsha,d fist private uni in nija is madona okija all in d east of d nija.so drop dat cheap schinap ure drinkng
dnt compare west uni to dat of d eazt? O.A.U n U.I of all schools and point of correction FUTA(Akure) is d best uni of tech in naija for ova 5yrs now.oda university in d east u listed above can only b compared to Federal poly Ado.

1 Like

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by sEyi6: 5:24pm On Oct 13, 2013

There is no point of comparism because it's actually all vanity in the real sense, but I don't think it would be nice twisting fact either ignorantly or intentionally.

Here is 2013 Nigeria University commission ranking posted on nairaland's front page months ago.

StHercules: 2013 NUC University Ranking In Nigeria - Every year the National University Commission, NUC, ranks universities in Nigeria due to the performance and meeting the requirement of a standard school.

This body monitor the universities in Nigeria to know those schools whose’s equipment is not updated or valid, also notice those whose’s equipment is standard in other for the schools to produce qualified graduates.

Below is the 2013 NUC University Ranking in Nigeria . . .the top 30. For the full list visit http://newsgallary.com/2013/04/17/2013-nuc-university-ranking-in-nigeria/

1. University of Ibadan, (overall best university)
2. University of Lagos,
3. University of Benin
4. Obafemi Awolowo University,
5. Ahmadu Bello University,
6. University of Ilorin
7. University of Jos
8. University of Port Harcourt,
9. University of Maiduguri
10. University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (best university of agriculture)
11. Lagos State University
12. Federal University of Technology Akure, (best university of technology)
13. Covenant University, ota (best private university)
14. University of Nigeria
15. Federal University of Technology,
16. Nnamdi Azikiwe University
17. Enugu State University of Science and Technology
18. Pan African University
19. Ladoke Akintola University of Technology…
20. Modibbo Adama University of Technology
21. African University of Science and Technology
22. University of Uyo
23. Bayero University Kano
24. Ambrose Alli University
25. Redeemer’s University
26. Babcock University
27. Federal University of Technology,
28. University of Calabar
29. Michael Okpara University of Agriculture
30. Ajayi Crowther University
https://www.nairaland.com/1260792/university-ibadan-tops-nuc-2013
I would have highlighted Lagos state university as the best state university becasue it's the first university stated as state university in the list, but I wasn't sure if one of those named before it is a state university.
NB: we're derailing this thread, the OP was actually asking why Ekiti is backward despite her huge numbers of intellects.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 5:38pm On Oct 13, 2013
cashkid18: its nt only ekiti my dear,evn osun n ondo is ntin to write home abt
you might be wrong for mentioning ondo,the state capital is actually ok and other towns are doing well in nigeria standard,so you need to prove your point man
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 5:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
1MCN:
It's such delusional propagandas that have kept some people in our country circumspecting around the self deceit orbit. Maybe Ekiti had once taken the lead in the number of academicians or so, but now events over the past one or two decades have swept it away. Maybe such assertions like the one our writer is peddling can at best be described as "living in past glory". JAMB, WAEC, NECO and NUC latest records do not place Ekiti at the spot anymore. Not even the Unity Schools Common Entrance Examinations.
@Topic, I've honestly not stepped my foot on the soils of Ekiti as at today, but I've been round the other SW states, and except for Lagos, I don't think the states in that region are competiive in any form. Not even the home state of the legendary Awolowo! Not even Ogun state with all it's proximity advantage to Lagos state (although it's a step ahead of the other SW states).
The Yoruba people of Nigeria are believed to be good administrators but that gene is yet to be fully harnessed. I continue to say that Lagos state has woefully underperformed generally considering its small land mass (about the smallest in Nigeria), it has been the only point of import and export in Nigeria over the years, it has been the FCT for about two decades! Yet it rubs shoulders with PH, Aba and Onitsha--though it's way ahead of them, but my point is, if these cities had the same priviledges Lagos had they probably be competing with Carlifornia, Tokyo and New York/Beijing respectively.
the first paragraph might be true but notwithstanding ekiti still got lots same with ondo
But the other things concerning physical development are all jokes,
You must be kidding dear,comparing ph with lagos
Even aba and onitsha biggest joke,u b basket mouth abi I go die younger bro?
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
cashkid18: ode!!y dont u read meanin into wt he typed instead of talkin another tin..wt he meant was dt lagos wit its small mass n hvin d priviledge of bein d nations formal capital unlike aba,onitsha n ph wic neva had fg presence shud bin able to b more lyk NY N oda world class cities
hey bro,u don't need to call him ode,we all understand what d other dude mean,he shouldn't in anyway compare lagos with those cities,if onitsha or aba actually have such priviledge I bet the same problem and factor that affect lagos will definately affect the other cities too,their very present situation that is aba and onitsha are perfect examples!
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 6:09pm On Oct 13, 2013
hey bro,u don't need to call him ode,we all understand what d other dude mean,he shouldn't in anyway compare lagos with those cities,if onitsha or aba actually have such priviledge I bet the same problem and factor that affect lagos will definately affect the other cities too,their very present situation that is aba and onitsha is a perfect example!
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 6:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
lmao,the best college of education in west africa,hahahahahahaha,my mother,adeyemi college of education I know is the best in nigeria,futa the best uni of tech this are fact!my God am so amazed with all ur post.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 6:24pm On Oct 13, 2013
PHIPEX: Am not trying to turn this to ethnic contest but one thing am very sure of is that the attraction Lagos has for virtually all citizens of this country has a negative effect on the economy of every other state in the country. The best from these states especially South Western states, South-East, and South-South migrate to Lagos and their individual states are almost left to grow at a very slow pace. This could explain why every Yoruba man claims Lagos while Igbos residing in Lagos still lay claim to part-ownership of Lagos.

The only saviour of the South East (I haven't been to much of South south) is that their wealth in the city is in direct proportion to the development of their rural areas (it's rare to see an Igbo who owns a good house in Lagos without having another good house in the village), this can not be said of Ekiti. In doing this, the 'villages' of South-East easily compare with some towns in the country, maybe this is because they travel regularly to the East.

If the professors from Ekiti who most likely have left their state could endeavor to put up structures in their rural area where they come from and lay less emphases on the development of Lagos, the story of Ekiti could change sooner than we think.
perfect,I think u are right.

1 Like

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Michdear(f): 6:26pm On Oct 13, 2013
Antivirus92: The reason why ekiti and other sw states are under developed is because of their constant falsification of facts and statistics to suit them and place them at the top when it does not reflect on their true standard of living.
my God ,why are u people disgracing yourself here,arrrgh!

1 Like

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by JingoOAU(m): 6:50pm On Oct 13, 2013
In Ekiti State, hardly will you find modern houses, yet, they have billionaires and multi-millionaires. Government can not build the houses, industries and some others. The people have to give their input for the betterment of the state

1 Like

Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by cashkid18(m): 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
In Ekiti State, hardly will you find modern houses, yet, they have billionaires and multi-millionaires. Government can not build the houses, industries and some others. The people have to give their input for the betterment of the state
its nt only ekiti indigines,evn other yerobas frm oda states..they ar busy developin lagos leavin their respective states to be lyk slums.dts y lag remains d only developed state in d sw
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
cashkid18: its nt only ekiti indigines,evn other yerobas frm oda states..they ar busy developin lagos leavin their respective states to be lyk slums.dts y lag remains d only developed state in d sw
i think what you wrote best describes igbos and alaigbo.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Antivirus92(m): 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2013
Segeggs: but yet igbos run to those places for survival.
they ran to a place they saw less competition. Even uptill today, there is no business competition in sw. Its igbos all the way when it comes to business.
Re: What Caused The Backwardness Of Ekiti State Despite Its Huge Human Resources by Ayekotoo(m): 8:09pm On Oct 13, 2013
Antivirus92: they ran to a place they saw less competition. Even uptill today, there is no business competition in sw. Its igbos all the way when it comes to business.

where are the businesses owned by igbos in Lagos?
let's start from insurance business, fast food business, manufacturing business, Communication/ broadcasting business and see who actually control the Lagos economy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Meet Chimamanda Adichie's Handsome Brother / USA Gives Buhari 45 Days To Release This Political Prisoner / Mr. Beluolisa Nwofor SAN The Disgraced Barrister.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.