Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs (4854 Views)

Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online / Spark Plugs Issues. / FRSC - Items You Must Have In Your Vehicle Always (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by HAVE: 9:23am On Oct 13, 2013
The general rule of thumb is to replace your spark plugs with Original equipment manufacturer(OEM). Find below brands of plugs for different make of vehicles:
1. Denso and NGK plugs - Asian Vehicles
2. Autolite - Ford Vehicles
3. Bosch - German Vehicles
4. AcDelco - GM Vehicles
5. Champion - Dodges
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 13, 2013
Meaning undecided ? I'm lost please.... I don't understand what you mean please explain better.
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by HAVE: 9:43am On Oct 13, 2013
Please be specific so I can "find you"

1 Like

Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 13, 2013
Wait Oº°˚˚°! Are u saying I should just buy ANY NGK or Denso spark plugs because I'm using a Japanese car or any BOSCH because I'm using a german car? I'm trying hard to understand the basis of your thread pls. Sorry no pun inetended.

1 Like

Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by Provie(m): 11:12am On Oct 13, 2013
lomomike: Meaning undecided ? I'm lost please.... I don't understand what you mean please explain better.

Seconded!!!
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
I don't know where you get your information or experience from, but one thing I know is EVERY CAR have a SPECIFIED spark plug type/rating for its engine. Most car manufacturers might make their specification based on a specific type of sparkplug from a particular sparkplug manufacturer just as they do with car tyres manufacturers. They do this because of trade/partnership agreement or rigorous testing which proved that that manufactuer specified sparkplug type/rating brings out the best performance and effectiveness and efficiency in their engines.
Here are some car models and their spark plug specification type rating. The key here is NOT the sparkplug name eg NGK, BOSCH etc but the spark plug type/rating, the spark plug tip type and the spark plug gap size.

2005 toyota avalon uses iridium tipped spark plugs. Toyota recommends Denso FK20HR11 type for this car model spark plug gap of 1.1mm or 0.043inches.

2004 and 2005 Lexus RX330 uses Iridium tipped spark plugs. Lexus recommends either Denso SK20R11 type or NGK IFR6A11 type this car model with spark plug gap of 1.1mm or 0.043inches.

2003 toyota highlander uses iridium tipped spark plugs for all its engine variants. Toyota recommends either Denso SK20R11 type or NGK IFR6A11 type for this car model with spark plug gap of 1.1mm or 0.043inches.

2001 infiniti QX4 uses Platinum tipped spark plugs. Infiniti recommends using ANY PLFR5A-11as standard type or PLFR4A-11 as service type or PLFR6A-11 as option for QX4 with spark plug gap of 1.1mm or 0.043inches.

2005 toyota 4runner with 1GR-FE V6 engine uses iridium tipped spark plugs. Toyota recommends using either Denso K20HR-U11 or NGK LFR6C11 type spark plugs for this car model with spark plug gap of 1.1mm or 0.043inches.

2005 toyota 4runner with 2UZ-FE V8engine uses Iridium tipped spark plugs. Toyota recommends using either Denso SK20R11 or NGK IFR6A11 type spark plugs for this car model with spark plug gap of 1.1mm or 0.043inches.

@ op pls do a better homework and stop confusing people with ignorant halfbaked information. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by HAVE: 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2013
what I have posted is the general rule of thumb. Your response what only for some toyota models which mostly use denso or ngk plugs.

1 Like

Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by sultaan(m): 8:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
What the op meant was that the listed with manufacturers prefer those brands of spark plugs as OEM.

If you buy a new Chrysler, you will find a champion plug in there, each model might use more than on part number
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by oseo1(m): 2:38am On Oct 14, 2013
you can also change brands to get better performance, but at a higher price. the oem parts are not necessarily the best, they however usually offer the best combination of price, performance and durability. so if you are going for performance there are usually better options.
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by omotoda(m): 1:07pm On Oct 16, 2013
HAVE: The general rule of thumb is to replace your spark plugs with Original equipment manufacturer(OEM). Find below brands of plugs for different make of vehicles:
4. AcDelco - GM Vehicles
5. Champion - Dodges

I am not sure this is a general rule.Ford vehicles usually have Motorcraft parts including plugs as it OEM parts.Even my Mazda Tribute came with Motorcraft plugs, alternator and serpentine belt.
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by IdaraCHODB(m): 4:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
omotoda:

I am not sure this is a general rule.Ford vehicles usually have Motorcraft parts including plugs as it OEM parts.Even my Mazda Tribute came with Motorcraft plugs, alternator and serpentine belt.

Ford and Motorcraft are nearly synonymous. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

My vehicle came with Motorcraft plugs but I now sourced for and currently use Bosch Platinum Iridium Fusion plugs advertised to be better than OE Iridium plugs

A friend who is also using the same type of Bosch plug says even his wife who is no car freak noticed a change in the vehicle's responsiveness once he changed to those plugs
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by IdaraCHODB(m): 4:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
IdaraCHODB:

Ford and Motorcraft are nearly synonymous. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcraft

My vehicle came with Motorcraft plugs but I now sourced for and currently use Bosch Platinum Iridium Fusion plugs advertised to be better than OE Iridium plugs

A friend who is also using the same type of Bosch plug says even his wife who is no car freak noticed a change in the vehicle's responsiveness once he changed to those plugs

Bosch even guarantees that "if you don't feel the difference with the Bosch Platinum Iridum Fusion plugs, they will pay for the plugs", the difference will be seen in quicker starts, smoother accelerations and improved fuel efficiency
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by HAVE: 10:56am On Oct 18, 2013
different folks different views. Visit some cars fora and you will get to read comments that all those high end plugs are just marketing hype and that there was no appreciable increase in engine performance. You will even get to read comments stating that oem plugs are not necessarily the best.
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by jpphilips(m): 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
HAVE:
The general rule of thumb is to replace your spark plugs with Original equipment manufacturer(OEM). Find below brands of plugs for different make of vehicles:
4. AcDelco - GM Vehicles
5. Champion - Dodges

Common sense tells me the car manufacturers are just patronizing their indigenous parts manufacturers too, nothing that proves quality here

1 Like

Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 15, 2014
Let me try to break this down.

It's simply against the law here in the US (many tokunbos comes from the US) for any manufacturer to specify a brand of product to use in their cars.

So folks you can use any spark plug from any maker as long as it meets the specs of your engine.

Now based on input from forums , some engines respond better to certain plug brand.

It seems to be the week for half baked ideas, schemes and products on Nairaland.
Re: Changing Your Vehicle Spark Plugs by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:20pm On Oct 16, 2014
CityNG:
Let me try to break this down.

It's simply against the law here in the US (many tokunbos comes from the US) for any manufacturer to specify a brand of product to use in their cars.

So folks you can use any spark plug from any maker as long as it meets the specs of your engine.

Now based on input from forums , some engines respond better to certain plug brand.

It seems to be the week for half baked ideas, schemes and products on Nairaland.

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Need Matured Advice, Am I Too Young Too Own A 7series??? / 2013 Audi S5 Or 2013 BMW M3? / Are There Fuel Economy Benz Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.