Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. (4001 Views)

How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? / Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by plaetton: 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2013
Religious folks often profess unconditional love for god, and also, as expected, confess great hatred for Satan.

If nothing else, this professed love for god is the best proof of the hypocrisy, shallowness and self-serving nature of religious faith.

Unless the word love has a different meaning in theology, it is not possible to love an invisible being whose presence we only imagine when it suits us.

Take Satan for example, no one has seen or interacted with him on record, yet every Christian claims to hate Satan purely based on unsubstantiated hearsay. In other words, Christians claim to hate Satan because they are expected to. Satan is the imaginary fall guy for the many failings or contradictions of an omni omni god.

Same hypocrisy applies for the so-called love we profess for god.
We love the idea of a god, our personal body guard and provider. We say we love god because of our selfish expectations of him.
Selfish expectations and our fears and anxieties. These are the basis of our faiths.

It is utterly illogical and silly to profess undying love for an invisible skydaddy, while neglecting to love and show real love to our neighbors.

"Love thy neighbor, and do unto others as you have them do unto you"
Bingo!
Someone actually did try to point the way of true love.

You cannot love god if you do not have real unconditional love for your fellow man, your fellow living creatures, the earth and everything in it which god supposedly created.

If you hate Hausas, Igbos, Yorubas,etc, then you cannot love god.

If you hate any race of humans, then you cannot love god.

If you hate snakes, cockroaches, spiders or any living creature, then you cannot love god.

If hate our mother Earth, if you consider her unclean, if you anxiously await her destruction because some wacko has told that it will come to pass, then surely, you cannot love god.

Every one professes unflinching love for god because it seems a lot easier than making even the smallest attempt to love our fellow humans and neighbors.
Loving god is easy. All you have to is repeat it to yourself a few times, and viola! You love god.

Loving our neighbors, on the other hand, is difficult and challenging, and entails great sacrifices.
In loving our neighbor, we have to overcome so much of our prejudices, insecurities, petty jealousies, etc. And of course, unlike god, we don't expect our petty selfish desires to be met by our neighbors.

So, the next time someone says" I love god", you know you are looking at a liar, a hypocrite and a sycophant.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by italo: 2:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
Are you saying there is no one that loves his neighbour?
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by frank317: 3:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
italo: Are you saying there is no one that loves his neighbour?

Is there? Just be sincere to urself and answer that.

Loving ur neigbour might seem very easy, but it is almost very impossible. Also actually loving ur neighbor is not the same as claimin u love ur neigbour as urself.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
Well said.

If you cant love a man/woman that you can see, how much then a God that you cant?

By the way;
https://www.nairaland.com/1448901/atheist-hangout-update-atheist-sermon/5#18783866

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by plaetton: 4:25pm On Oct 13, 2013
italo: Are you saying there is no one that loves his neighbour?

Does Nigeria look like a place where people love their neighbors?

4 Likes

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by italo: 5:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
frank3.16:

Is there? Just be sincere to urself and answer that.

Loving ur neigbour might seem very easy, but it is almost very impossible. Also actually loving ur neighbor is not the same as claimin u love ur neigbour as urself.

What then does loving ones neighbour mean?
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by beejaay: 5:24pm On Oct 13, 2013
plaetton:
Bingo!

You cannot love god if you do not have real unconditional love for your fellow man, your fellow living creatures, the earth and everything in it which god supposedly created.

If you hate snakes, cockroaches, spiders or any living creature, then you cannot love god.

If hate our mother Earth, if you consider her unclean, if you anxiously await her destruction because some wacko has told that it will come to pass, then surely, you cannot love god.

Every one professes unflinching love for god because it seems a lot easier than making even the smallest attempt to love our fellow humans and neighbors.
Loving god is easy. All you have to is repeat it to yourself a few times, and viola! You love god.

Loving our neighbors, on the other hand, is difficult and challenging, and entails great sacrifices.
In loving our neighbor, we have to overcome so much of our prejudices, insecurities, petty jealousies, etc. And of course, unlike god, we don't expect our petty selfish desires to be met by our neighbors.

So, the next time someone says" I love god", you know you are looking at a liar, a hypocrite and a sycophant.

LWTMB at the bolded... plaeton u bad ooooo

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by italo: 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2013
plaetton:

Does Nigeria look like a place where people love their neighbors?

Do you mind answering me?

You said:
So, the next time someone says" I love god", you know you are looking at a liar, a hypocrite and a sycophant

Are you then saying there is no one that loves his or her neighbour?
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by DeepSight(m): 5:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
Those people who truly love God do so because God is the root of their being, the centre and meaning of their existence, the fountain of meaning of their lives.

Loving God is profound and sacred. It is not something to be mocked as cavalierly as the OP does.

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 13, 2013
Deep Sight: Those people who truly love God do so because God is the root of their being, the centre and meaning of their existence, the fountain of meaning of their lives.

Loving God is profound and sacred. It is not something to be mocked as cavalierly as the OP does.

It should be mocked because
-a no solid evidence for God exists
-it is impossible to love something you cant see, touch, smell, or hear.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by ooman(m): 5:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
Deep Sight: Those people who truly love God do so because God is the root of their being, the centre and meaning of their existence, the fountain of meaning of their lives.

Loving god is only necessary to those who feel deep emptiness, religion is an addiction...

2 Likes

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by italo: 6:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Is there solid evidence for your assertion in bold?
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by italo: 6:18pm On Oct 13, 2013
ooman:

Loving god is only necessary to those who feel deep emptiness, religion is an addiction...

Wrong. I dont feel deep emptiness yet I love God.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 13, 2013
italo:

Is there solid evidence for your assertion in bold?

Yes....evidence for an abstract or logic to defend the abstract point?

How do you love something you dont know or understand? Something you have never interacted with?

I know you might be too stewpid to even follow this simple argument
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 13, 2013

Do you love God?

[size=4pt]p.s long time, na muskeeto smiley[/size]
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by ooman(m): 6:27pm On Oct 13, 2013
italo:

Wrong. I dont feel deep emptiness yet I love God.

you dont feel it because a god has filled it up, simple...
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by DeepSight(m): 6:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Except the entire universe and you.

O dear. In this case it should also be impossible to love a mind. Any mind.

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by DeepSight(m): 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
aManFromMars:

Do you love God?

Yes.

No human being can live without loving God.

It is what we are.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
Deep Sight:

Yes.

No human being can live without loving God.

It is what we are.
How does one love God? And how can one hate God? Are there are any rewards/benefits from loving God in this life?

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Joshthefirst(m): 6:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
plaetton: Religious folks often profess unconditional love for god, and also, as expected, confess great hatred for Satan.

If nothing else, this professed love for god is the best proof of the hypocrisy, shallowness and self-serving nature of religious faith.

Unless the word love has a different meaning in theology, it is not possible to love an invisible being whose presence we only imagine when it suits us.

Take Satan for example, no one has seen or interacted with him on record, yet every Christian claims to hate Satan purely based on unsubstantiated hearsay. In other words, Christians claim to hate Satan because they are expected to. Satan is the imaginary fall guy for the many failings or contradictions of an omni omni god.

We love the idea of a god, our personal body guard and provider. We say we love god because of our selfish expectations of him.
Selfish expectations and our fears and anxieties. These are the basis of our faiths.

It is utterly illogical and silly to profess undying love for an invisible skydaddy, while neglecting to love and show real love to our neighbors.

Bingo!

you do not know love because you do not know God. God is love. I tell you I love you guys and I have your best interests at heart. I never insult you guys, I always preach to you from my heart. But you are selfish, godless and insultive. You said yourself that you enjoyed sin. You cannot love and enjoy sin. Do not speak of love. Human love is selfish and arrogant and easily provoked. But I have love. I have God.
Love is patient and kind and is not arrogant. Love does not insist on its own way. Love does not envy, does not keep record of wrongs. You do not know about love.
You speak from the mundane point of view. You cannot speak of things beyond what you can see or touch. I speak with the power of God. You do not know love sir. Your life bears witness.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by italo: 6:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yes....evidence for an abstract or logic to defend the abstract point?

How do you love something you dont know or understand? Something you have never interacted with?

I know you might be too stewpid to even follow this simple argument

Is the above what you call "solid evidence?"

Will you accept this kind of evidence from Christians who want to prove God's existence?
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:47pm On Oct 13, 2013
plaetton: Religious folks often profess unconditional love for god, and also, as expected, confess great hatred for Satan.

Bingo!

You are on the burderline where Saul was before He was turned to Paul,very soon very soon you would be a servant of Yaweh.

Anyway this piece you wrote is awesome...Love your neighbour as you love yourself

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
Joshthefirst: you do not know love because you do not know love. God is love. I tell you I love you guys and I have your best interests at heart. I never insult you guys, I always preach to you from my heart. But you are selfish, godless and insultive. You said yourself that you enjoyed sin. You cannot love and enjoy sin. Do not speak of love. Human love is selfish and arrogant and easily provoked. But I have love. I have God.
Love is patient and kind and is not arrogant. Love does not insist on its own way. Love does not envy, does not keep record of wrongs. You do not know about love.
You speak from the mundane point of view. You cannot speak of things beyond what you can see or touch. I speak with the power of God. You do not know love sir. Your life bears witness.

Here comes the chief Pharisee my Chibuebem himself. Jisie Ike

1 Like

Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 13, 2013
italo:

Is the above what you call "solid evidence?"

Will you accept this kind of evidence from Christians who want to prove God's existence?

smh
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Joshthefirst(m): 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Here comes the chief Pharisee my Chibuebem himself. Jisie Ike
I'm sorry sir, but I really wish you guys could know God. Then you would know what love truly is. Blessed be God. God is love.

Oh! You don't know what's going on in my heart as I preach to you guys everyday despite the insults and the curses and the anger. You don't know what happens when I preach to a thug. You don't know what happens when you are in a true christian home or community. There you will see love. There you will experience love. God is love. In nature. The love of God is in my heart. The love of God compels me to keep away from sin. The love of God and compassion only God gives moves me to pray for the sick and to give to the poor. Do not speak of love sir.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:03pm On Oct 13, 2013
Joshthefirst: I'm sorry sir, but I really wish you guys could know God. Then you would know what love truly is. Blessed be God. God is love.

Oh! You don't know what's going on in my heart as I preach to you guys everyday despite the insults and the curses and the anger. You don't know what happens when I preach to a thug. You don't know what happens when you are in a true christian home or community. There you will see love. There you will experience love. God is love. In nature. The love of God is in my heart. The love of God compels me to keep away from sin. The love of God and compassion only God gives moves me to pray for the sick and to give to the poor. Do not speak of love sir.

You preaching prowess is not half mine!!!

Since I removed God in my life,its been easier accepting the realities of the job sector in Naija which I have faced for one year now. I don die? No

I stop wasting praying,or hurting when I get a No afetr an interview or test, I just learn from my error and push on.

God could not do that for me,infact I was more depressed as a christian
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Joshthefirst(m): 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2013
The Way of Love

1 If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. 2 If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. 3-7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, Isn't always "me first," Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end.

8-10 Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled.

11 When I was an infant at my mother's breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good.

12 We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

13 But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.

^thats first corinthians 13

Love is when Jesus died. The greatest act of love. When he died to save you from sin and wrath and hell. He knew you would reject him and do damage to his church. He knew you would curse and insult him and spit on his face everyday. He knew you would persecute his children and continue in sin to try and mock him. He knew you would keep in rebellion.
But he still died you see. So that you might choose one day to respond to his love. Yes. He knew one might respond one day to love and be saved. He knew one might get to know God one day because of his selfless sacrifice. That is love. My friend.

Be part of those who would respond to Gods love today. Who would truly know God. When you know God; Love, you will not sin anymore. The love of God will constrain you. You would begin to truly explore life and eternity in reunion with God in righteousness

Love gives you see. That's true love. Love prays for enemies. Love sacrifices for enemies

For the wages of sin is death, but the FREE GIFT of God is eternal life through Jesus

God freely gives eternal life to those who accept him. He doesn't impose. God is love. God is reality.

Blessed be the name of the lord!
Hallelujah
Bless God for the priviledge of knowing his love and showing it to mankind.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Joshthefirst(m): 7:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Since I removed God in my life,its been easier accepting the realities of the job sector in Naija which I have faced for one year now. I don die? No

I stop wasting praying,or hurting when I get a No afetr an interview or test, I just learn from my error and push on.

then sir, you did not know God. God carers for his children. Oh man. I wish I could speak with you in person. We would talk about this God I know. If you truly knew God, you would be saved from sin, and you would know that he has a plan for your life. And you would know that he yearns to bless us. Know God sir. Be free from sin. Dance in his light and life. Walk in reality
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by Joshthefirst(m): 7:14pm On Oct 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

you need not face life without a father. You need not be a slave of sin. Man needs God. Man needs love.
Re: Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2013
Joshthefirst: then sir, you did not know God. God carers for his children. Oh man. I wish I could speak with you in person. We would talk about this God I know. If you truly knew God, you would be saved from sin, and you would know that he has a plan for your life. And you would know that he yearns to bless us. Know God sir. Be free from sin. Dance in his light and life. Walk in reality

I don't know this God because there is no evidence for him,not in my life or the world!!!

I cannot walk with a God that will want to see me surfer. Lol

Anyway I like your zeal but as for me,no amount of talking will convince

Besides those killings in the old testament,really really bugs me, I can't wrap my mind around it and there is no justification I've heard for them that sounds plausible.

Besides there might be a God but the God of the bible? Who I once served is a lie perpetuated by Jews to grab neighbouring lands and all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The 6 Alien Species Currently Fighting For Control Over Earth / Imam Ali In His Own Words / That Rapture Is After The Tribulation Is CLEARLY Stated In Mathew 24. Come See..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.