Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) (6945 Views)

How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? / Stop Kidding Yourself. You Do Not And Cannot Love God. / I Am A Christian And Love God But I Still Keep Fornicating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by speshsworld(m): 6:04am On Sep 22, 2013

I’m glad to bring you the first edition of this column this year. Happy New Year! My prayer is that this year will be a year of divine opportunities for you, and you will not miss your God-ordained opportunities in Jesus’ name. Let me now quickly bring you God’s Word today. I believe you’ll be blessed.

Someone asked me recently: “What does it mean to love God?” His question was borne out of a sincere desire to know how really to love God. I am convinced that many Christians today who talk and sing about loving God don’t really understand what it means.

In John 21, Jesus asked Peter if he loved him more than these; that is, more than the other disciples. Peter answered in the affirmative three times. The question was necessary because Peter was to be the leader of the disciples. If he must take over from Jesus to lead the other disciples, he must love Jesus and his cause more than those he was to lead.

Peter declared his love for Jesus three times in John 21 but not the type of love that Jesus was talking about. The Amplified Bible brings out clearly, the difference in the usage of the word “love” by Jesus and Peter. By love, Jesus meant love with “reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion, as one loves the father.” But by love Peter meant a deep, instinctive, personal affection for Jesus, as for a close friend. Jesus and Peter were not saying the same thing. The Bible says Peter was grieved (saddened and hurt) because Jesus asked him the same question the third time.

The first and second times Jesus asked if Peter loved him, Jesus used the Greek word agapao, meaning “ardently, supremely, perfectly” And Peter answered with phileo, meaning “to like, be fond of, feel friendship for another” The third time Jesus used phileo – loved thou me? That is “phileo thou me?” since Peter had been using phileoin his answers two times earlier and this made him feel hurt.

Please note the progression of the questions. (1) Do you love (agapao) me more than these? (Comparison) (2) Do you love (agapao) me? (3) Do you love (phileo) me? Take note of Peter’s answer the third time: “Lord thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee” (John 21:17 KJV). Did you see Peter’s humility? He was no longer bragging like he did before he denied Jesus thrice, or like he answered Jesus’ questions twice earlier on this occasion.

Twice he had answered Jesus he loved (phileo) him when what Jesus demanded was agapao. But Jesus even went further to question the phileo that Peter claimed to have for him, and all Peter could say in humility was: “Lord thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee” (John 21:17 KJV). (Please note that the Amplified Bible shows that in his answer the third time, Peter still used phileo (a deep, instinctive, personal affection as for a close friend) for his love for Jesus and not agape)

The Nelson’s Illustrated Bible Dictionary says, “Contrary to popular understanding, the significance of agape is not that it is an unconditional love, but that it is primarily a love of the will rather than the emotions.”Agape love is God’s kind of love which He wants His children to have. We must love God and others as an act of our will and not based on our emotions, fleeting feelings.

Read complete sermon here http://www.speshsworld.com/2013/01/sunday-sermon-do-you-truly-love-god-1/
Sermon II http://www.speshsworld.com/2013/02/sunday-sermon-do-you-truly-love-god-2/

2 Likes

Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by uhuogba(m): 11:10am On Sep 22, 2013
if you love me keep my commandment
I think I have loved God more by words and little by my actions
Ohh! Imperfect me!
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Judas2013: 11:11am On Sep 22, 2013
No!
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Sicozone(m): 12:07pm On Sep 22, 2013
Nice Sermon
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by joebases(m): 12:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
Thought provoking. Keep it up
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by alfredo4u(m): 12:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
Amen and God pls end ASSU strike for my younger one.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:22pm On Sep 22, 2013
I love God. I love Jesus.
Last Bullet:
keep off sin.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 22, 2013
God? Me i lyk am
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by shejane: 12:42pm On Sep 22, 2013
Dat question 2 peter is 4 all of us

Jesus is stil asking d same question 2 us"do u love me"

Nd hw do u kw dat u love God?
1 by belving only in Him
2 love ur neighbour as ursef
3 evangelism, wen he said go in2 d world nd multiply, he's nt talking abt giving birth 2 as many as u can bt multiply in his kingdom

Love 4 God nd man covers d 10 commandments
May God hep us all so dat @ d end we wil nt cry had I know
Vanity upon vanity all is vanity

1 Like

Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Godson201333(m): 12:47pm On Sep 22, 2013
Thank God that my name is involved today "Peter"...And i know that for today sermon,God has already my prayers..

1 Like

Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Gabrielsylar(m): 12:50pm On Sep 22, 2013
Happy new year!!!? Did u fall from. Krypton?
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Davo93(m): 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2013
May God help us to truely love Him the right way. He who loves God will definately keep his commandments. "that I may know him and the power of his resurrection..." #HappySunday
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by NAJALYN: 1:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
If we trully love God we MUST love our neighbours as ourselves. If we do this the world will be a better place.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by AngelRaphael(m): 1:53pm On Sep 22, 2013
Yes i do.though am a sinner but i ackwnolegde my sins, my guilty i forsake,& i say i must confess my offence to the Lord !
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by AngelRaphael(m): 1:57pm On Sep 22, 2013
Angel Raphael: Yes i do.though am a sinner but i ackwnolegde my sins, my guilty i forsake,& i say i must confess my offence to the Lord !
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by lomaxx: 2:14pm On Sep 22, 2013
The spirit is willing but the flesh is ...

angry angry angry
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Orikinla(m): 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
He is my first love and my last love.
He is the reason why I am here. And I am forever grateful to Him.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by kenjudy(m): 3:30pm On Sep 22, 2013
Mmounwu!!! Many pipu wili cam here naw talking like say na dem cari d luv reach baba God place. If we really luv God, we for dey jolli wella, but na our hypocrisy dey make him ignore us make we suffer. Simply, I know sure say any1 does. Cos me I no know as I no dey sure.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Ajibam: 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2013
I love him because he love me first

1 Like

Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 22, 2013
Most Nigerian christians and muslims fear God because of punishment, hell, and lack of blessings (if they sin).

I have come across a few who genuinely love God though. But these are the exceptions and not the rule.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Nosu(m): 7:10pm On Sep 22, 2013
Thanks for the sermon. Do I love God? I will not be quick to answer like peter, I think I need time to search my inward desires.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Mozeyinedu: 8:57pm On Sep 22, 2013
he is like sugar to me
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 22, 2013
End times tinz
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Ogbodavies(m): 9:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
God is love
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by daryoor(m): 12:21am On Sep 23, 2013
god did not pay my school fees
god did not send me pocket money
god does not care if i starve to death
god is indifferent
i know the way people who care for me behave towards me, if my parents love me just the way god shows me love today i wonder where i would be.
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Ajibam: 12:42am On Sep 23, 2013
daryoor: god did not pay my school fees
god did not send me pocket money
god does not care if i starve to death
god is indifferent
i know the way people who care for me behave towards me, if my parents love me just the way god shows me love today i wonder where i would be.
he love you more than anything..you have not just discover your purpose of living.you are doing something that you think is right... which is definitely wrong
Re: Sunday Sermon: Do You Truly Love God? (1) by Revolva(m): 1:14am On Sep 23, 2013
as for me i am God we humans are God ......

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Ignore Or Fear The Supernatural? / Rhapsody Of Realities: World's Most Translated Book After The Bible- Wikipedia / Yoruba Religious Rennaisance : Babalawo Olowoyo Oladimeji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.