Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

The Oblivious State Of The Nigerian Constitution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Oblivious State Of The Nigerian Constitution (398 Views)

Buhari Vs AIT: Press Freedom Not Guaranteed By Nigerian Constitution. / Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution / Is Prostitution A Crime Under The Nigerian Constitution ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Oblivious State Of The Nigerian Constitution by spenca: 6:48am On Oct 14, 2013
Over dinner there was a debate and deliberation on why my cousin was not coming home for the Sallah break all because he attends a Christian orientated school, to state categorically my cousin is in his final year in the secondary school, a boarder based on the school policies and a practicing Muslim. We were brought up in an orthodox Muslim family thereby we were taught not to discriminate against other persons because of their ethnicity tribe or religion but on how they treat and care for other people, enough of my family background, it is time I started addressing the theme of this write up which is why some schools at advantage of their students all in the name of education, I won’t want to go into the higher education fiasco of punishing student because they have not refuse to go to church and all, this comes to me as shocker not only because my cousin is always forced to go to church with his peers even though he is not a Christian which I have often warned him against now he is being asked to stay put in school when his family is having the ileya festival which is a big one in Islam but in this school the slightest christainic festival is held with all hands and even teeth now what brings the Nigerian constitution into this? It beats me each time that the Nigerian constitution is so alien to Nigerian and even the law makers themselves this is due to the lack of commitments from these so lawmakers. Chapter 4, section 38 subsection 2 of the Nigerian constitution which states that and I quote “No person attending any place of education shall be required to receive religious instruction or take part in or attend any religious ceremony or observance if such instruction ceremony or observance relates to a religion other than his own, or religion approved by his parents or guardian.” but many Nigerians are not aware of this and just sit to let our lives be ruled by ignorant people only because we have failed not to be ignorant ourselves. Like my cousins there are other Muslims in the school and around Nigeria which this kind or unwarranted authority term it impose unscrupulous dictates to us. But unlike some other families we are taking the bull by the horn and belling the cat, my uncle and I have a consensus yesterday to go have a heated talk with the ranking officer of the school later this afternoon after school hours and only God can stop us from not leaving that school without my cousin and this write up will be updated with the aftermath but my aim of putting this into writing is not only to inform others involved but to impact the knowledge of their fundamental human right to them which is redundantly put down in the fourth chapter of the Nigerian constitution.

Caliph
School school in question: Charlesdony college sangotedo ajah .

(1) (Reply)

Let’s Make Anambra Great / D.r Patrick Ifeanyi Ubahs Campaign Group Organized Seminar Today / Ex-san Diego Mayor Bob Filner Charged With 3 Crimes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.