Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia (41523 Views)

Super Eagles Match Statistics For 2013 / Lessons Learnt From Super Eagles Match Against Ivory Coast / John Fashanu Confirms Tb Joshua Predicted Super Eagles Match To Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by SuyaEater(m): 5:18am On Oct 15, 2013
Suicide bombers die in failed plot at Ethiopia football match
By Aaron Maasho | Reuters – 6 hours ago

By Aaron Maasho

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Two Somali suicide bombers who had planned to kill football fans during Ethiopia's World Cup qualifying match against Nigeria on Sunday blew themselves up accidentally before carrying out the attack, the Ethiopian government said on Monday.

The explosion on Sunday happened in the upscale Bole district of the capital, about 5 km (3 miles) from Addis Ababa Stadium where thousands of fans were gathering for the match.

"They were Somali nationals and plotted to carry out a suicide attack disguised as fans on either the stadium or areas where large crowds gathered to watch the game," government spokesman Shimeles Kemal said.

Explosives, arms, hand grenades and football shirts were found at the scene of the blast, at a residential address an hour before kick-off, Shimeles said. Three suspects were detained. The Bole district has a small Somali refugee community.

"Heavy police presence must have caused their nervousness and state of agitation which led to the detonation that caused their own death," Shimeles said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Somalia's al Shabaab Islamist rebels have vowed to exact revenge on Ethiopia for sending troops to Somalia to fight the al Qaeda-linked militants, alongside African Union forces from Uganda, Burundi and Kenya.

Ethiopia says it has thwarted attacks over the past two years which it has blamed on domestic rebel groups as well as the Somali insurgents.

However, it has so far been spared the sorts of attacks carried out in nearby countries - such as the siege at the Nairobi mall last month and an attack on football fans in Uganda in 2010.

(Reporting by Aaron Maasho; Editing by Drazen Jorgic and Robin Pomeroy)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/suicide-bombers-die-failed-plot-ethiopia-football-match-211058450--sow.html#w9eC3Qd

6 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by thrugemaster(m): 5:29am On Oct 15, 2013
ok...

MEANWHILE : I AM FIRST TO COMMENT....... I DEDICATE THIS TO NLANDER WASKI FOR SHOWING ME THE WAY

2 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by mikeljims(m): 5:31am On Oct 15, 2013
How come
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by salisa(m): 5:34am On Oct 15, 2013
dats terrible
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by modextus(m): 6:00am On Oct 15, 2013
The nigerian govt had better start putting in place security strategies foR the return leg

7 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by henrychubayo: 6:14am On Oct 15, 2013
Wake up call for Nigeria. Security should be doubled

1 Like

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Akshow: 6:19am On Oct 15, 2013
abasi ubong! I cover we players with the blood of bros J.

5 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by tinuolababy(f): 6:25am On Oct 15, 2013
Good for them. Thank God they couldn't get to Tђξ Stadium.Rest in hell tongue tongue tongue

5 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Danhumprey: 6:26am On Oct 15, 2013
Instead of them to have focus on providing maximum security for the match,they almost left that security lapse. At the end of the match,they now pick a fight with Nigerians just because they lost the match,instead of them to take the fight to the Somali insurgents.

1 Like

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by imperiouxx(m): 6:32am On Oct 15, 2013
I said this some weeks ago (Sept 25) that my worry about the match is the contiguity of this Ethiopia with Somalia.

https://www.nairaland.com/1453395/ethiopia-play-super-eagles-october#18359579

imperiouxx: Under tight security I'd suggest. Ethiopia is contiguous to Kenya and Somalia. I want my super eagles safe for the world cup.... As the reigning African champion, we've got lot of neighborhood beef..... All eyez on us!

8 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by boron10(m): 6:42am On Oct 15, 2013
Somalia is a failed state. They need to be colonized. I wish Nigeria/Kenya/SA would combine effort and take over that country.

9 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 15, 2013
Cray!!!
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by diane10a: 6:55am On Oct 15, 2013
Na them problem be that, them no get another thing to do for this life? They've really lost their focus, na players and fans them come they fight again. Can anybody tell me who their target is.
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Omexonomy: 6:57am On Oct 15, 2013
Assuming those people succed it would have been very blody.
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by GeneralJ(m): 6:59am On Oct 15, 2013
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Mannylex(m): 6:59am On Oct 15, 2013
The God of football is alive, he didn't let them succeed.

2 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by goldfish80(m): 7:00am On Oct 15, 2013
Thank God the Nigerian contingent came into the country,played same day and left the same day.

If the Eagles came into the country and stayed a few days to the game Nigerians would have been mourning by now.Thank God for his mercies
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by simongonner: 7:00am On Oct 15, 2013
Good for them...useless group of people...
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 15, 2013
Thank God it didn't work.. But that would not have stopped Emenike from scoring that goalazo.

1 Like

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Mrniceguyjohn(m): 7:02am On Oct 15, 2013
happy sallah
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Goldenheart(m): 7:02am On Oct 15, 2013
hmmm
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Chimezie198(m): 7:02am On Oct 15, 2013
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by funkymedina: 7:03am On Oct 15, 2013
there goes thier 72 virgins and an eternity of fo**ing
damn shame!

1 Like

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by gilgal7(f): 7:03am On Oct 15, 2013
Akshow: abasi ubong! I cover we players with the blood of bros J.
u dey kraze ni or mad ni...he ain't bro j but ur MESSIAH THE ONLY WAY TO THE FATHER,better booked ur salvation b4 its too late.i hate it wen u flex wit lucifer in hell BE SAVED RESPECT JESUS CHRIST....!!!

66 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by condralbede(m): 7:06am On Oct 15, 2013
That's very bad,thank God that their plans didn't work.The eagle will keep on flying high,Even in d presence of our enemies. Amen
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 15, 2013
And some 'white' coach called Saintfeit would have the audacity to proclaim Calabar as an unsafe city... Only God knows what would have been if the pigs had succeeded on Sunday.

Terrorists are ALL pigs! KILL them!!!!
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by PastorOluT(m): 7:06am On Oct 15, 2013
Many are still carrying their corpse (sins, pains, regrets, disappointments, anxieties e.t.c) all around despite all the offers of help Matthew 11:28-30, may God open their eyes to accept help in Christ Jesus our Lord, savior and redeemer. STOP CARRYING YOUR CORPSE AROUND AND GIVE IT TO JESUS

The scripture that readily came to mind;

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 7: 24-25

Stay blessed and remain rapturable

4 Likes

Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 15, 2013
We thank God
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by namdyz(m): 7:07am On Oct 15, 2013
Tank God, he died alone!
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by vanstanzy(m): 7:08am On Oct 15, 2013
SuyaEater: Suicide bombers die in failed plot at Ethiopia football match
By Aaron Maasho | Reuters – 6 hours ago

By Aaron Maasho

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - Two Somali suicide bombers who had planned to kill football fans during Ethiopia's World Cup qualifying match against Nigeria on Sunday blew themselves up accidentally before carrying out the attack, the Ethiopian government said on Monday.

The explosion on Sunday happened in the upscale Bole district of the capital, about 5 km (3 miles) from Addis Ababa Stadium where thousands of fans were gathering for the match.

"They were Somali nationals and plotted to carry out a suicide attack disguised as fans on either the stadium or areas where large crowds gathered to watch the game," government spokesman Shimeles Kemal said.

Explosives, arms, hand grenades and football shirts were found at the scene of the blast, at a residential address an hour before kick-off, Shimeles said. Three suspects were detained. The Bole district has a small Somali refugee community.

"Heavy police presence must have caused their nervousness and state of agitation which led to the detonation that caused their own death," Shimeles said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Somalia's al Shabaab Islamist rebels have vowed to exact revenge on Ethiopia for sending troops to Somalia to fight the al Qaeda-linked militants, alongside African Union forces from Uganda, Burundi and Kenya.

Ethiopia says it has thwarted attacks over the past two years which it has blamed on domestic rebel groups as well as the Somali insurgents.

However, it has so far been spared the sorts of attacks carried out in nearby countries - such as the siege at the Nairobi mall last month and an attack on football fans in Uganda in 2010.

(Reporting by Aaron Maasho; Editing by Drazen Jorgic and Robin Pomeroy)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/suicide-bombers-die-failed-plot-ethiopia-football-match-211058450--sow.html#w9eC3Qd

U mean Ethiopias loss triggered d bomb prematurely?*Funny!*
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 15, 2013
Pitiful.
Re: Suicide bombers Die In Failed Plot At Super Eagles Match In Ethiopia by kingarizona(m): 7:09am On Oct 15, 2013
O'biara egbu'm ga egbu oweya cheesycheesycheesy

Oluwa got our back

Team - Nigeria

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pogba Agrees A Whopping £350k-a-week Deal With Barcelona / Messi Cries After He Broke Pele's Goalscoring Record / Crowd Queues At Ahmed Musa's House In Jos For Ramadan Charity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.