Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Is The Reading Culture Lost? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is The Reading Culture Lost? (619 Views)

Advice Me: My Father In Law’s Culture Demands I Sleep With Him Before Marriage / Is This A Blatant Housewife Oversight Or Am I Reading Meanings Into Nothing Here / Worth Reading: A White Woman's Opinion Of A Black Woman!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Reading Culture Lost? by smartmom(f): 6:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
I write this with a sense of great loss. I notice not only with children but even with adults that most people just don't find pleasure in reading. They would rather watch movies and play with electronic gadgets.

How do we revive this habit especially with our kids?
Re: Is The Reading Culture Lost? by coldgate(f): 7:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
Blame it on technology. We will rather spend thirty minuites of our time watching T.V. And surfing the internet than reading a good book. Children are the ultimate losers here because so much is lost. It is not so much the information we get from reading a book but the discipline it requires to sit still and absorb. Is it possible to rekindle this fire? Maybe. However, this will require parents who themselves are disciplined enough to ensure that their children develop the habit. It is no wonder that the Literature section in any Mall, supermarket are often the least visited. Libraries are redundant and, librarians out of work.

1 Like

Re: Is The Reading Culture Lost? by Kanwulia: 10:59pm On Oct 15, 2013
I don't like to read either. . .I PREFER AUDIO BOOKS! kiss
My ears are much better senses than my eyes! cool
Re: Is The Reading Culture Lost? by smartmom(f): 9:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
coldgate: Blame it on technology. We will rather spend thirty minuites of our time watching T.V. And surfing the internet than reading a good book. Children are the ultimate losers here because so much is lost. It is not so much the information we get from reading a book but the discipline it requires to sit still and absorb. Is it possible to rekindle this fire? Maybe. However, this will require parents who themselves are disciplined enough to ensure that their children develop the habit. It is no wonder that the Literature section in any Mall, supermarket are often the least visited. Libraries are redundant and, librarians out of work.

You are so right but then technology is what should encourage us and our kids to read and enjoy it too. My kids surf the net for downloads of ebooks that they may not find easily in the bookstores.

Kanwulia: I don't like to read either. . .I PREFER AUDIO BOOKS! kiss
My ears are much better senses than my eyes! cool

While audio books are still better than no books, the richness of reading real books is lost to some extent. Spellings and vocabulary capacity is reduced or diminished with this form of book reading.
Re: Is The Reading Culture Lost? by smartmom(f): 9:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
I read this thread and so totally agreed with the solutions proffered to this dire need in this link and thought to share the topic here:

[url][/url]http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,4927.0.html[url][/url] under the topic ' Getting children to perform brilliantly in School'

(1) (Reply)

Superstitious Believe People Believe Till Date / Who Should Resign? / A Nairalanders Changed Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.