Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Security And Safety Tips For Drivers - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Security And Safety Tips For Drivers (14621 Views)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / Traffic Questions For Drivers In The House / Road Safety Officers Or Road Nuisance Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by topsy1971: 3:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
Additional tips:
1. I have an assumption that every unknown person(s) you see on the road while travelling is a potential criminal. Moral: Always watch out.
2. I don't joke with the cars behind and in front of my car at all time. I always keep them in view.
3. Don't keep flashing things conspicuous in your car. A naturally innocent person might become criminal when attracted by luxurious items

1 Like

Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
When u have to stop in an unknown (or "dodgy") area, ALWAYS keep your gear engaged in "D" position just in case you need to quickly drive off.

1 Like

Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
1). Avoid Rushing To Open Your Car Bonnet Incase You suspect any smoke or burning From your car engine:
Reason is when u rush to open ur bornet u stand a risk of either getting splash or increasing d fire cus fire burns faster wn exposed to oxygen.. SAFETY MEASURE is to park well and allow the smoke reduce and d engine to cool b4 u open.......

Bros I beg to disagree... So you mean an individual should park and allow fire ravage the car in the event it is a fire causing the smoke? Tats what fire extinguishers are designed for! The idea is open the bonnet cautiously and observe any signs of a fire and if there is, deploy your fire extinguisher immediately. The fire will burn regardless of opening the bonnet because it can access oxygen from beneath the vehicle. I've seen vehicles catch fire even with the bonnets closed and they burnt out!

1 Like

Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by BrightCar: 3:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
ALL UR POINTS ARE WELL NOTED. ALSO DO NOT 4GET TO ALWAYS COMMIT YOUR JOURNEYS INTO GOD'S CARE, REMEMBER PS 127, EXCEPT D LORD KEEPETH THE CITY, THEY WAKETH BUT IN VAIN...
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by dBard: 3:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
josh4ever:

Bros I beg to disagree... So you mean an individual should park and allow fire ravage the car in the event it is a fire causing the smoke? Tats what fire extinguishers are designed for! The idea is open the bonnet cautiously and observe any signs of a fire and if there is, deploy your fire extinguisher immediately. The fire will burn regardless of opening the bonnet because it can access oxygen from beneath the vehicle. I've seen vehicles catch fire even with the bonnets closed and they burnt out!

I disagree wit u sir.
Fire needs oxygen t survive . opening d bonnet will b like giving d flame d much needed nutrients t get t its full potential.. not really advisable. Besides d wind can move d fire t directions it odawise wouldn't ve gone

1 Like

Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by angelmikky707(m): 3:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
Very interesting
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by Darejyde(m): 5:27pm On Oct 16, 2013
All Noted Sirs, Esp dose abt dee high way and dee idea of caging your self ni dee name of security. Mine is if you have -to drive and your mum is -in dee car make sure she sits @ dee back(esp if she is A̶̲̥̅ Yoruba woman and she owns dee car) because her noise and talk is enof distraction. *ha Jesu, oori moto yen ni? Ni suru ki wan koja.oti sumon moto yen ju**** bla bla bla.

3 Likes

Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by Stallion77(f): 6:54pm On Oct 16, 2013
In addition, try as much as possible to lock your cars manually... criminals have developed a technology dat unlocks the car when you use the remote controlled lock to lock it.... its a trend in abuja... Take note. Cos the observe the way you lock ur car before opening it wit their remote.
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by unclewale4u: 6:55pm On Oct 16, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]Thanks,the tips on d car is a good write up,for those who have ear let them hear.
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by fishmakas: 7:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
mikky2k2: Many Nigerians are safety conscious but many also would still fall victim of the following precautions i want to state below... Plz share d message and remain blessed...

1). Avoid Rushing To Open Your Car Bonnet Incase You suspect any smoke or burning From your car engine:
Reason is when u rush to open ur bornet u stand a risk of either getting splash or increasing d fire cus fire burns faster wn exposed to oxygen.. SAFETY MEASURE is to park well and allow the smoke reduce and d engine to cool b4 u open.......

(2). Avoid using bad tyres or expired tyres on a highway
This has led to many accidents of tires bursting and cars crashing..

(3). Never put your working helmet on the back-screen of your car:
funny as it sounds but it has led to many deaths and attack. Nigerians like to put their helmet there but for safety and security reasons its not advisable..You expose yourself to armed robbers and kidnappers.. Imagine you carrying a helmet of total, Elf and other big companies in your backscreen you are sending a message to this miscreant.. Put them in your boot instead.

(4). Avoid travelling at night on a road you are not familiar with:
this also has led to many road accidents when us speed on a road that you don't know that much or it has been longyo u travelled through there u stand a risk of crashing into big potholes and other bad road conditions.

(5). Never tell anyone apart from your immediate family members and loved ones that you are travelling:
Funny as it may sound many people have been robbed on highways and killed because of they exposed their journey anyhow..

Play safe and be wise as You travel dis season..
mikky2k2: Many Nigerians are safety conscious but many also would still fall victim of the following precautions i want to state below... Plz share d message and remain blessed...

(2). Avoid using bad tyres or expired tyres on a highway
This has led to many accidents of tires bursting and cars crashing..

funny as it sounds but it has led to many deaths and attack. Nigerians like to put their helmet there but for safety and security reasons its not advisable..You expose yourself to armed robbers and kidnappers.. Imagine you carrying a helmet of total, Elf and other big companies in your backscreen you are sending a message to this miscreant.. Put them in your boot instead.

(4). Avoid travelling at night on a road you are not familiar with:
this also has led to many road accidents when us speed on a road that you don't know that much or it has been longyo u travelled through there u stand a risk of crashing into big potholes and other bad road conditions.

(5). Never tell anyone apart from your immediate family members and loved ones that you are travelling:
Funny as it may sound many people have been robbed on highways and killed because of they exposed their journey anyhow..

Play safe and be wise as You travel dis season..
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by Josh316(m): 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
dBard:

I disagree wit u sir.
Fire needs oxygen t survive . opening d bonnet will b like giving d flame d much needed nutrients t get t its full potential.. not really advisable. Besides d wind can move d fire t directions it odawise wouldn't ve gone

I understand you very well, but you missed where i said the vehicle can still access oxygen from underneath it. if the fire is from a fuel line, you will lose precious seconds by trying to pull over and 'wait' for the smoke to smolder down in which case it might not. Car fires are quite different from room fires, because the vehicle is already in an open condition...
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by kingsleyMbang(m): 8:04pm On Oct 16, 2013
Neva sleep or use cell phone while on wheels. Also ensured dat d bonnet is tightly close b/f zooming off as ths has caused a lot of mishaps on d road.
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by jarem(m): 9:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nice write up OP,
Personally, I chew gum on long distance journeys to avoid sleeping on the steering, secondly I turn off the AC for same reason. The comfort of the AC can make u doze off, speaking from personal experience. Be safe folks!
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by Bee4real: 12:26am On Oct 17, 2013
God bless you OP. tnx.
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by leggyb(m): 7:21am On Oct 17, 2013
I love this part
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by TerpeOjorobaby: 3:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
jikjimmy: what about picking a cute babe on d road
no she fit b witch.
Re: Security And Safety Tips For Drivers by LawChick: 8:11pm On Oct 18, 2013
ITbomb: This is weird but very practicable.

1. Carry a short knife in your car, very accessible to both hands.
I know the first thing in your mind is security but NO, it might be useful in
a.) cutting yourself free from the seat belt
b.) Bursting the inflated airbag.
c.) making a mark on your windup windscreen for possible break out
The seat belt thing was design for developed countries where police, firefighters and medical attention can break in and rescue you minutes after the accident but here, you need to break yourself out.
2. When you are on a long distance, do not use AC, wind down the window glasses if not total, just a little.
Also when you are in a public bus, always keep the glasses not fully closed, if the wind is dsturbing you, keep at least a small gap.
Most accidents are aggravated because people get trapped inside the vehicle. A fully closed window glasses is almost difficult to break.
3. If you cannot see the distance of the next NEPA pole, dont press the accelerator.
and the fourth which many will not agree, when on a long trip and on high speed, do not lock ur doors unless u sense danger or in a hold up.
In summary, Never cage yourself in the car in the name of safety n security, you might need to get out quick

ITbomb, please your attention is needed as par your GIFT -

https://www.nairaland.com/1473001/free-trendy-wrist-watch-more#18919605

(1) (2) (Reply)

Flooded Obiwali Road, Rumuigbo, Port-Harcourt (Video) / How Do I Protect My Dashboard And Leather Seats From The Sun / German Vs Japanese Automobiles.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.