Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? (9017 Views)

His Dad Could Be My Baby’s Father / Guys, Can You Get Married To A Lady From A Broken Home?(separated Or Divorced). / Marrying A Divorced Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
I have wondered for a while about those that always argue that marriage is important because of the benefits to the child whether the fact that an increasing number of marriages are failing do not have a more negative effect on the child.

So my questions goes as follows:

Would a child prefer to have a father that she has always known is in the outer boundaries of her life and she sees and spends time with him every other week?

Or would a child prefer a father that was part of her life for, lets say, the first 5 to 12 years of life and now has moved out and she sees and spends time with the him every other week?

Which of the 2 inferior options provides more marginal joy and less hurt to the child? grin

[size=4pt]Feel free to substitute he for "she", and him/his for "her".

I only used a female child because I did not want to confuse my nouns with the masculine one for a Dad.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 16, 2013
Food for thought.

I can't tell because I am one of those children who have always had a father at home. And I still believe that it is paradise like to have a mother and a father under one roof who love each other. This is the healthiest environment for a child.

However, I have seen children whose parents go through divorce when they are 10 +. Most of these children are negatively affected which is shown in their school performance. Being once good students, they change for the worse, at least for some period in time. So maybe growing up with your parents seperated right from the beginning, could be better than having to go through the trauma of divorce and your father moving out.

3 Likes

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by ifyalways(f): 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
Depends. A r3tardeed baby daddy is neither > nor < a divorced cretiin. tongue

Baby daddy for me.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
ifyalways: Depends. A r3tardeed baby daddy is neither > nor < a divorced cretiin. tongue

Baby daddy for me.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why baby daddy?
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 8:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe: Food for thought.

I can't tell because I am one of those children who have always had a father at home. And I still believe that it is paradise like to have a mother and a father under one roof who love each other. This is the healthiest environment for a child.

However, I have seen children whose parents go through divorce when they are 10 +. Most of these children are negatively affected which is shown in their school performance. Being once good students, they change for the worse, at least for some period in time. So maybe growing up with your parents seperated right from the beginning, could be better than having to go through the trauma of divorce and your father moving out.

If a guy you are madly in love with but you know is not good for you proposes a baby father model instead of you both getting excited and tying a knot that would inevitably turn loose, would you consider it? tongue grin
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sagamite:

If a guy you are madly in love with but you know is not good for you proposes a baby father model instead of you both getting excited and tying a knot that would inevitably turn loose, would you consider it? tongue grin

Sorry Saga but I don't really understand the question. Before I misinterpret it, can you please explain what you mean?
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 9:03pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

Sorry Saga but I don't really understand the question. Before I misinterpret it, can you please explain what you mean?

Would you compromise your wish for marriage and have a baby for a guy who you madly love?
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 16, 2013
I would. I am not that much into that marriage thing anyway. It would be nice if someone decided to make this vow to me and I would feel the same but I don't think that you have to be married to have a happy home. I just wish for my future children that they will have parents who love each other dearly but if that doesn't work out, well, then it would also do to have a very responsible father for them and I would try my best for us to be good friends and the best parents we can.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 9:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sagamite:

Would you compromise your wish for marriage and have a baby for a guy who you madly love?

Never. I'm not a baby-making machine.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

Never. I'm not a baby-making machine.

I don't understand how the one is related to the other. I want to have children for the sake of the children in the FIRST place. Does it make me a baby machine?
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 9:31pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

I don't understand how the one is related to the other. I want to have children for the sake of the children in the FIRST place. Does it make me a baby machine?
Of course not. But i don't want to have children for the sake of children. I want to have children with a healthy home as the product of our love. We are different, i suppose.

2 Likes

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by ifyalways(f): 9:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sagamite:

Yes i would but only IF i want a child badly and perhaps age too is not on my side. I would. cool
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 9:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:
Of course not. But i don't want to have children for the sake of children. I want to have children with a healthy home as the product of our love. We are different, i suppose.

And if you don't find love?
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

(Almost) Everybody does but reality IS that not all succeed. I would even say that very few succeed in doing so.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 9:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sagamite:

And if you don't find love?

Then i would get a pet and sulk till i grow old.

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 9:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

(Almost) Everybody does but reality IS that not all succeed. I would even say that very few succeed in doing so.
But i would have tried. Better than not trying at all. At least, i would know it wasn't my fault that it didn't work out as i expected.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:
But i would have tried. Better than not trying at all. At least, i would know it wasn't my fault that it didn't work out as i expected.

Why wouldn't you or anybody try?

I want the same as you but I know that relationships are not easy and the promise to love and respect each other for a lifetime comes true for the very few lucky ones. I am trying too but if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. That is not a reason for me to say no to children.

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by ifyalways(f): 9:44pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sagamite:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Why baby daddy?
Why you dey open teeth like a product of a failed . . . tongue

Adaptation and Orientation:In BD situation,the child/ren are already used to the fact that daddy does not live with mommy unlike the rude shock that awaits children whose parents are going through divorce,some of such kids sadly never get to understand why daddy and mommy would suddenly start living apart.Its a trauma they most times don't out grow.

Drama and frustration: It's less in baby daddy situation,IMO especially if both parents from the onset,just wanted to make a child together. No matter how bad a BD situation is,by the time the kid/s are say 6 yrs old maximum,the parents must have relaxed /found a better way to resolve their differences/the "hate or anger" must have died down.

2 Likes

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 9:51pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

Why wouldn't you or anybody try?

I want the same as you but I know that relationships are not easy and the promise to love and respect each other for a lifetime comes true for the very few lucky ones. I am trying too but if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. That is not a reason for me to say no to children.

Some people just want children. They don't care about marriage, love, co-habitation or whatever. Even if they had the option of real marriage, they'd rather choose to have children without marriage than spend the rest of their lives with a man.

I thought that was what you opted for, by your first response. I am optimistic about marriage. If it doesn't work out, fine. I just feel a child would prefer a broken marriage to no-marriage at all.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

Some people just want children. They don't care about marriage, love, co-habitation or whatever. Even if they had the option of real marriage, they'd rather choose to have children without marriage than spend the rest of their lives with a man.

I thought that was what you opted for, by your first response. I am optimistic about marriage. If it doesn't work out, fine. I just feel a child would prefer a broken marriage to no-marriage at all.

Very few just want to have children and live without the father. I don't know of such women, never met one. I am not one of them either.

Yet, I don't think that a broken marriage is easier / better for children than no marriage at all. If you grow up with your parents living in different homes, it's normal for you. If your father moves out when you are 10, it's painful and can cause trauma.

I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I prefer to be realistic. wink

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by elrony(m): 9:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
Saga...am I eligible to answer??
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 9:58pm On Oct 16, 2013
ifyalways: Why you dey open teeth like a product of a failed . . . tongue

Adaptation and Orientation:In BD situation,the child/ren are already used to the fact that daddy does not live with mommy unlike the rude shock that awaits children whose parents are going through divorce,some of such kids sadly never get to understand why daddy and mommy would suddenly start living apart.

Drama and frustration: It's less in baby daddy situation,IMO especially if both parents from the onset,just wanted to make a child together.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

No kill me with laughter o.

That is outrageous. As American women say on Real Housewives of ....[insert choice].... : "Who the hell says that"? tongue grin
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 9:59pm On Oct 16, 2013
elrony: Saga...am I eligible to answer??

Go un sorn! (Go ahead) cheesy
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 10:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

You really think so?

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 10:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

Very few just want to have children and live without the father. I don't know of such women, never met one. I am not one of them either.

Yet, I don't think that a broken marriage is easier / better for children than no marriage at all. If you grow up with your parents living in different homes, it's normal for you. If your father moves out when you are 10, it's painful and can cause trauma.

I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I prefer to be realistic. wink

I understand your point. I know of women who don't want marriage. My aunt has 4 children from 2 men and she doesn't want to settle down. She is 46 now and the children are grown. She turned down marriage proposals. She would tell you she is married to her career. She is beautiful and won beauty peagant when she was younger.

I know of another friend that doesn't want to have anything to do with marriage. She lives in New York with two adopted sons.

To each his own. I wonder what a baby daddy is though. How do you explain there is no mummy? Too many questions from the children.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

I understand your point. I know of women who don't want marriage. My aunt has 4 children from 2 men and she doesn't want to settle down. She is 46 now and the children are grown. She turned down marriage proposals. She would tell you she is married to her career. She is beautiful and won beauty peagant when she was younger.

I know of another friend that doesn't want to have anything to do with marriage. She lives in New York with two adopted sons.

To each his own. I wonder what a baby daddy is though. How do you explain there is no mummy? Too many questions from the children.

I think there is a misunderstanding.

What Saga was saying was that there is a mummy and a daddy.

In the first scenario, the kid doesn't remember them being together, grows up with the parents not being a couple.

In the second scenario, the parents divorce when the child is old enough to make the experience consciously.

I don't know your aunt and the other woman but I am quite sure that there was a time that they wished to have someone they would love and who would love them in return. Only bad experience will make you think that living alone is better because ALMOST all women desire companionship and love unless they don't experience the bitter side of it. But that's a different topic.

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 10:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
Sagamite:

You really think so?

Yes i do. Though it depends on when divorce came in. At least, they enjoyed family harmony for a while. With time, they would understand what went wrong and the real issues of life. Reasonable divorce parents would raise them not to make same mistakes they made.

Now compare a child that had no family. He grew up with a father or a mother. No show of love towards the opposite sex in the name of marriage or co-habitation. He could grow up to believe marriage is a sham and unnecessary. He would be denied of family love and unity no matter how little. He would have nothing to learn from. He would see life in a one-sided way and wonder why mum didn't marry daddy. Or why dad never loved mummy enough to marry her. He could even think he was a mistake or a product of over-active pën1s.

1 Like

Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 10:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

I think there is a misunderstanding.

What Saga was saying was that there is a mummy and a daddy.

In the first scenario, the kid doesn't remember them being together, grows up with the parents not being a couple.

In the second scenario, the parents divorce when the child is old enough to make the experience consciously.

Ok...i think i understand better now.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

Yes i do. Though it depends on when divorce came in. At least, they enjoyed family harmony for a while. With time, they would understand what went wrong and the real issues of life. Reasonable divorce parents would raise them not to make same mistakes they made.

Now compare a child that had no family. He grew up with a father or a mother. No show of love towards the opposite sex in the name of marriage or co-habitation. He could grow up to believe marriage is a sham and unnecessary. He would be denied of family love and unity no matter how little. He would have nothing to learn from. He would see life in a one-sided way and wonder why mum didn't marry daddy. Or why dad never loved mummy enough to marry her. He could even think he was a mistake or a product of over-active pën1s.

Having a baby daddy doesn't mean the child grows up without a father.

You say that responsible parents raise children not to make the same mistakes again. However, statistics show that children from divorced parents are more likely to divorce too. It's not because their parents didn't bring them up well. It's because they grow up with it and for them it's not such a big deal, their parents did it and survived and are possibly happier than some married couples.
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

Ok...i think i understand better now.

smiley wink smiley
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Merkki(f): 10:14pm On Oct 16, 2013
carefreewannabe:

Having a baby daddy doesn't mean the child grows up without a father.

You say that responsible parents raise children not to make the same mistakes again. However, statistics show that children from divorced parents are more likely to divorce too. It's not because their parents didn't bring them up well. It's because they grow up with it and for them it's not such a big deal, their parents did it and survived and are possibly happier than some married couples.

Do statistics also show that baby daddies raise better children?
Re: A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? by Sagamite(m): 10:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
Merkki:

Let me tell you what I think.

- Your aunty is lying to you just to save face.

- Your friend more convincing, probably does not want marriage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Some Causes Of Problems In Families And Possible Solutions / My Wife Said No More Sex I Can Go Outside Make Kids / How Can I Help My 3year Old To Identify Letters And Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.