Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,891 members, 7,810,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years (1594 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / FG Pays N200b To CBN For ASUU / ASUU Strike: FG Agrees On N200b In 2014 Budget On Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Toyboyz: 3:06am On Oct 17, 2013
Towards ending the ongoing ASUU strike, the Federal Government has committed to spending N200 billion in the 2014 budget on the universities as well as on each of the next three-four years until the universities are brought to world-class standard. This is in addition to the N100 billion dedicated and already made available for 2013.
The government has also increased to N40 billion as a first installment, funds for the payment of earned allowances to the striking lecturers, an improvement from the N30 billion previously released.
This information is contained in an internal Federal University of Otuoke statement by Professor Bolaji Aluko, its Vice-Chancellor, seen on Wednesday night by SaharaReporters.
On the earned allowances, he explained, “Government will top it up with further releases once universities are through with the disbursement of this new figure of N40 million, so Vice-Chancellors are urged to expedite this disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the CVC,” the circular said.
Professor Aluko said the development followed meetings on September 19 and Oct 11 of representatives of the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, led by CVC Chairman, Prof. Hamisu of ATBU and ASUU Representatives led by its President, Dr. N. Fagge with the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Arc. Namadi. Sambo, Minister of Education Barr. N. Wike and others.
Of great interest to stakeholders, Vice-President Sambo, appealing to ASUU to call off the strike, apologized for the "take-it-or-leave-it" comments credited to the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the onset of the strike. The Minister did not seem to have been involved in either meeting, perhaps as the government’s way of soothing the feelings of the university teachers.
Other points of agreement at the meetings include the following:
*.Project Prioritization: Universities will now be allowed to determine their priorities and not be “rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment. Decisions are not to be centralized.
*.TETFund Intervention: Government assured that the operations of the TETFund will not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to Universities will continue, unaffected. So the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in addition to regular TETFund intervention.
*.Project Monitoring: A new Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC) for the NEEDS Assessment intervention for universities has been set up to take over from the Suswan Committee. The new one is under the Federal Ministry of Education and chaired by the Honorable Minister of Education. In addition, to build confidence and ensure faithful implementation and prevent any relapse as before, the Vice President will meet quarterly with the IMC to monitor progress.
*.Blueprint: ASUU was mandated to submit a blue print for revitalizing the Universities to the Vice President.
Prof. Aluko further stated that a signed document will soon be issued to itemize the full issues on which the consensus he had outlined here, as brokered by AVCNU, was reached.

SOURCE
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Mayany(m): 3:12am On Oct 17, 2013
We don hear, but until student return to school I reserve my comment.. meanwhile where's d source?
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by jaryeh(m): 3:30am On Oct 17, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by MrTAnonymous(m): 3:44am On Oct 17, 2013
Toyboyz: Towards ending the ongoing ASUU strike, the Federal Government has committed to spending N200 billion in the 2014 budget on the universities as well as on each of the next three-four years until the universities are brought to world-class standard. This is in addition to the N100 billion dedicated and already made available for 2013.
The government has also increased to N40 billion as a first installment, funds for the payment of earned allowances to the striking lecturers, an improvement from the N30 billion previously released.
This information is contained in an internal Federal University of Otuoke statement by Professor Bolaji Aluko, its Vice-Chancellor, seen on Wednesday night by SaharaReporters.
On the earned allowances, he explained, “Government will top it up with further releases once universities are through with the disbursement of this new figure of N40 million, so Vice-Chancellors are urged to expedite this disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the CVC,” the circular said.
Professor Aluko said the development followed meetings on September 19 and Oct 11 of representatives of the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, led by CVC Chairman, Prof. Hamisu of ATBU and ASUU Representatives led by its President, Dr. N. Fagge with the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Arc. Namadi. Sambo, Minister of Education Barr. N. Wike and others.
Of great interest to stakeholders, Vice-President Sambo, appealing to ASUU to call off the strike, apologized for the "take-it-or-leave-it" comments credited to the Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala at the onset of the strike. The Minister did not seem to have been involved in either meeting, perhaps as the government’s way of soothing the feelings of the university teachers.
Other points of agreement at the meetings include the following:
*.Project Prioritization: Universities will now be allowed to determine their priorities and not be “rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment. Decisions are not to be centralized.
*.TETFund Intervention: Government assured that the operations of the TETFund will not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to Universities will continue, unaffected. So the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in addition to regular TETFund intervention.
*.Project Monitoring: A new Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC) for the NEEDS Assessment intervention for universities has been set up to take over from the Suswan Committee. The new one is under the Federal Ministry of Education and chaired by the Honorable Minister of Education. In addition, to build confidence and ensure faithful implementation and prevent any relapse as before, the Vice President will meet quarterly with the IMC to monitor progress.
*.Blueprint: ASUU was mandated to submit a blue print for revitalizing the Universities to the Vice President.
Prof. Aluko further stated that a signed document will soon be issued to itemize the full issues on which the consensus he had outlined here, as brokered by AVCNU, was reached.

SOURCE
Thanks for apologizing on her behalf; that fat pig!!! angry

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Nobody: 4:00am On Oct 17, 2013
A blog is the source? undecided
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:30am On Oct 17, 2013
Mr.T Anonymous:
Your mother is a swine. You must either be a product of a leaking condom or that of a violent rapee.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Nobody: 4:38am On Oct 17, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Your mother is a swine. You must either be a product of a leaking condom or that of a violent rapee.
You wouldn't be throwing tantrum if he had insulted a Yoruba woman. You mad because an Ibo woman was insulted. I disagree with the insult on Ngozi anyway.

6 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by SlyIg(f): 5:28am On Oct 17, 2013
GenBuhari: A blog is the source? undecided
na tomato sauce you want?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by omenka(m): 5:32am On Oct 17, 2013
Mayany: . meanwhile where's d source?

U need a lot of vitamin A.
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by AMINDA: 6:02am On Oct 17, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Luxiana19(f): 6:03am On Oct 17, 2013
Ok ok. end of strike time tinz.

u pple no dey sleep??
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by nig2change: 6:11am On Oct 17, 2013
Kudos fg. Let the transformation enter the schools. Needs assessment and project prioritization should be implemented to the letter. Other countries are feeding fat from the instability in our education sector. Nigerian students always the victim. Half baked status as compensation. Gej is transforming. God lead him away from mines
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Nomski0(f): 6:30am On Oct 17, 2013
Mr.T Anonymous:
How will she not say take it or leave it, when her, her husband and children are all Havard graduates.undecidedundecided They dont give two fùcks about Nigerian students. Mtchew.
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 6:35am On Oct 17, 2013
payless: You wouldn't be throwing tantrum if he had insulted a Yoruba woman. You mad because an Ibo woman was insulted. I disagree with the insult on Ngozi anyway.
I just liked your comment because of the last sentence. The people we even insult here most times hardly have time like us to be on internet. It doesnt matter where they are from. What matters most is for us to always criticize our leaders constructively. We can even use harsh words to drive home our points but not calling them names like that poster.
Most times when i see words like RETARDEEN, FVCKTARD, SLOWPOKE etc being used to refer to Mr President, i marvel at the level of decadence internet use has exposed us to. One thing is hiding behind all this funny and crazy sounding monickers insulting our leaders. Question is, can we really say things we say if suddenly we are all compelled to regularize our NL accounts with our real data?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Mogten(m): 6:51am On Oct 17, 2013
God bless GEJ
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by LMAyedun(m): 6:53am On Oct 17, 2013
Some good news there... grin
I hope the strike will end with this sha.
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by wesley80(m): 7:01am On Oct 17, 2013
Hon. SuQ Ma'DIQ:

I just liked your comment because of the last sentence. The people we even insult here most times hardly have time like us to be on internet. It doesnt matter where they are from. What matters most is for us to always criticize our leaders constructively. We can even use harsh words to drive home our points but not calling them names like that poster.
Most times when i see words like RETARDEEN, FVCKTARD, SLOWPOKE etc being used to refer to Mr President, i marvel at the level of decadence internet use has exposed us to. One thing is hiding behind all this funny and crazy sounding monickers insulting our leaders. Question is, can we really say things we say if suddenly we are all compelled to regularize our NL accounts with our real data?
You made me wish I could click like more than once. Thank you for your words.

@topic, The ball is now in ASUU'S court, lets see if they'll insist on their greed demands. Huge credit to the FG for making these concessions and apologising on behalf of the finance minister, a stronger desire to resolve a strike action I've not seen from a Nigerian govt. Absolutely fabulous
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Youngzedd(m): 7:13am On Oct 17, 2013
This is an improvement.

ASUU better collect this money now as e dey hot.

They should remember "No work, No pay"

Oga GEJ I dey hail Oooo.
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by dnacrystal: 7:35am On Oct 17, 2013
This is a quite impressive improvement. But meanwhile until students are asked to resume, I stay skeptical.
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by J0nyb0y(m): 7:46am On Oct 17, 2013
What else??
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:05am On Oct 17, 2013
Sunny_bobo: Your mother is a swine. You must either be a product of a leaking condom or that of a violent rapee.
dnt be angry. why wld the guy call that woman a pig when it is clear that she is a frog with her bulging eyes and wide puffy-wide mouth!! grin

U are just an id!ot!

Every Nigerian student has the right to call a woman whose children schools in havard, 'a pig' or whatever with that statement of hers!

All other children are rotten at home, hers are up there with jobs even waiting, and she doesn't give a fucck and u want the students to pat her on the head like a fat dog?

You are a swine and a frog! A hybrid of a fucck!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by wesley80(m): 8:16am On Oct 17, 2013
^ Remind me again, what was her statement that got you so upset?
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by gerald09(m): 8:21am On Oct 17, 2013
payless: You wouldn't be throwing tantrum if he had insulted a Yoruba woman. You mad because an Ibo woman was insulted. I disagree with the insult on Ngozi anyway.
U see he is not d problem u are, just cos I asked the black dude if he wanted chicken doesn't mean I am stereotyping, its cos I work @ Mcdonald. Or calling some1 a F*ag doesn't mean its a hate crime it means d person is silly. Stop trying to label tinz dat are not, words like urs brings misunderstood hate.
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by awodman: 8:59am On Oct 17, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by texazzpete(m): 12:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
Hon. SuQ Ma'DIQ:

Nothing wrong with someone lashing out angrily at one of the reasons why he has been at home for months. Only in Nigeria do you people see such crass indignities being heaped on your heads and you sheepishly swallow it all down with mantras like 'amicable dialogue' and 'constructive criticism'.

Hon. SuQ Ma'DIQ:

One thing is hiding behind all this funny and crazy sounding monickers insulting our leaders. Question is, can we really say things we say if suddenly we are all compelled to regularize our NL accounts with our real data?

Isn't this more an issue with freedom of speech and not on any misguided ideas on sparing the feelings of these porky elites that bleed us dry?
Re: ASUU Strike: Government Blinks, Agrees To Spend N200b Each For Four Years by Richiez(m): 1:12pm On Oct 17, 2013

(1)

Do R.s.u.s.t Offer Pharmacy? / Paper Writings / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.