Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,921 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? (7485 Views)

Poll: Who's Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star?

Segun Odegbami: 6% (2 votes)
Rasheed Yekini: 6% (2 votes)
Jay Jay Okocha: 54% (18 votes)
Kanu Nwankwo: 33% (11 votes)
Sam Okwaraji: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Female African Soccer Star Forced To Strip Naked To Prove She Is Female / Argentina Soccer Star, Carlos Tevez, Tattoo Angels All Over His Back. ( Photo) / Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by RedHotChic(f): 10:48pm On Jul 04, 2008
Who's Nigeria's greatest soccer star of all time?
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by doyin13(m): 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2008
Funmi ooo. . . .Dem suppose reserve nairaland ID- - - - -UBIQUITOUS, for you.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 05, 2008
This was the exact topic I had been thinking of starting for about five days now.

Anyway,I think it's a straight contest between Kanu and Jay-Jay.
In CAF list of Africa's greatest 50,Kanu was number 8,and JJ 12th.
One South African magazine rated JJ 8th greatest player of all time from Africa.It was a Top 10 list,and JJas the only Nigerian that made the list.
In Pele's list,only JJ appeared too.
So one can say JJ is more recognized.
But personally,I'll give Kanu.

However,the above is based on what I'll call WORLD CLASS STARDOM.

In terms of USEFULNESS/SERVICE to the national team,I think Rashidi did more than any other player. His 37 goals in Eagles colours is still unmatched. Again,by this criteria,I don't know who to give second position btw Kanu and JJ. Between 2000-2006 JJ was literally the only player carrying the Eagles.He single-handed delivered the bronze to Nigeria in Tunisia 2004. Kanu,on the other hand, has saved Eagles in critical situations in the past,especially as Super-Sub. Honourable mention to Aghahowa(2002,2004 ANCs)
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by Ibime(m): 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2008
Why is Finidi not on that list? What of Oliseh? Take your time o.

Who dash Sam Okwaraji? Is it because he died early and they immortalised him? Please put better names there jare.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by RedHotChic(f): 11:22am On Jul 06, 2008
Who dash Sam Okwaraji? Is it because he died early and they immortalised him? [b]Please put better names there jar[/b]e.
Lol, I was thinking of Peter Rufai , Ike Shorunmu or Mutiu Adepoju.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by 419er(m): 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2008
RedHotChic:

Lol, I was thinking of Peter Rufai , Ike Shorunmu or Mutiu Adepoju.

That means you've been watching american football instead of soccer if ever you're mentioning those two names that never performed well in history. Peter Rufai may sound a little fair durring his early stage. But Ike shorunu the goal receiver.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by RedHotChic(f): 6:49pm On Jul 06, 2008
But Ike shorunu the goal receiver.
What is goal receiver? Have you forgotten that Mutiu adepoju was the head master like michael ballack? I also wonder why nobody is voting Yekini after all he did for Nigeria. Emmanuel Amunike may also be a contender.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by tkb417(m): 2:47pm On Jul 11, 2008
Kanu Nwakwo.
Papillo is the best we have produced. followed closely by JJ and yekini
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by abdurrazaq(m): 2:54pm On Jul 12, 2008
Augustine 'Jay Jay' Okocha is the best to ever come out of Nigeria as a footballer. The problem he had was that he didn't take football seriously when he started. He was already grwoing old before we started seeing a serious JJ. He has the highest number of World Cup appearnce in Nigeria (possibly Africa), Olympic gold medal, ACN gold medal, ACN silver medal and 3 ACN bronce medals, 2 times BBC African footballer of the year and above all, unmatched skill on the pitch. I troway salute sir grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by RedHotChic(f): 9:39pm On Jul 13, 2008
Augustine 'Jay Jay' Okocha is the best to ever come out of Nigeria as a footballer. The problem he had was that he didn't take football seriously when he started. He was already grwoing old before we started seeing a serious JJ. He has the highest number of World Cup appearnce in Nigeria (possibly Africa), Olympic gold medal, ACN gold medal, ACN silver medal and 3 ACN bronce medals, 2 times BBC African footballer of the year and above all, unmatched skill on the pitch. I troway salute sir
I concur.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by Pataki: 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2008
RedHotChic:

What is goal receiver? Have you forgotten that Mutiu adepoju was the head master like michael ballack? I also wonder why nobody is voting Yekini after all he did for Nigeria. Emmanuel Amunike may also be a contender.
So you know about footie. grin cheesy grin

My greatest Nigeria soccer star goes to KANU. He has performed what several other Nigerian players cannot do.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by DeepZone: 6:16pm On Jul 22, 2008
My greatest Nigeria soccer star goes to KANU. He has performed what several other Nigerian players cannot do.

Performed? Most awards are not a measure of your performance.
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by topfem: 7:02pm On Apr 03, 2011
King Kanu is a great footballer, no doubt about that,he can play as a main striker and also as supporting striker, but he also had a bit of luck on his side which allows him more europian silverware and this is another aspect that gives him more room to play for big clubs in europe. because goal scorers can be quickly identified than the midfielders, for nigerias greatest soccer star, i will go for jay jay okocha, , he has the ability to carry along the whole team when all hopes seems lost, and he does the same thing in his club also, because he is always the fulcrum of his team, above all he his a midfielder of immense quality, coupled with world cup and nations cup appearances,
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by topfem: 7:26pm On Apr 03, 2011
King Kanu is a great footballer, no doubt about that,he can play as a main striker and also as supporting striker, but he also had a bit of luck on his side which allows him more europian silverware and this is another aspect that gives him more room to play for big clubs in europe. because goal scorers can be quickly identified than the midfielders, for nigerias greatest soccer star, i will go for jay jay okocha, , he has the ability to carry along the whole team when all hopes seems lost, and he does the same thing in his club also, because he is always the fulcrum of his team, above all he his a midfielder of immense quality, coupled with world cup and nations cup appearances,
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by Okaakoko(m): 4:08pm On Apr 04, 2011
JJ Okocha all the way, he is the master, after him we talk of Kanu
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by enomakos(m): 5:10pm On Apr 04, 2011
kanu is the best
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by Psaalmuel(m): 3:51pm On Mar 09, 2012
Kanu iz gr8 nd european clubs saw dat in him playd 4-ajax nd won d champ.league,arsenal nd won d premier league,porthsmouth nd won d f.a cup,inter nd won individual honours d guy iz gr8 nd d bst so far 9ja av eva producd,
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by dipo1: 9:53pm On Mar 09, 2012
i say Kanu.
**shakes head at what might have been if Mikel used his brains**
Re: Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? by FRANKLINTON(m): 11:46pm On Mar 09, 2012
Okocha is the greatest but Kanu is my favourite player.

(1) (Reply)

AYC 2011 Final: Nigeria Vs Cameroun On Sunday May 1 @ 2pm Nigerian Time / Ese Brume Wins Gold In Women's Long Jump At The African Athletics Championships. / My 7 Days 1.4 Odds Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.