Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454879 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by waledudu(m): 8:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
Hi peeps.. Wat is d best and cheapest way of sending money abroad(US) ie for sumone witout a DOM acct.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2013
Tochium: How long does it take for a parcel sent via Nipost Registered Mail to arrive USA? I need ur kind answers

Your Package will arrive in the US within 8 working days.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 8:51pm On Oct 21, 2013
Oreskid:
VO-what skool do u have ur bsc
Me- university of ado ekiti

Hey Unadite, you can't just applied to only one school and think it's one of the best schools in the US. What about the extensive research and opportunity to be able to take part in their research? There are my interests about any school. It's not about fat bank statement but your ebullience towards studying.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 8:52pm On Oct 21, 2013
waledudu: Hi peeps.. Wat is d best and cheapest way of sending money abroad(US) ie for sumone witout a DOM acct.

If the person have GTB naira mastercard ATM or any Nigeria bank provided he/she can use the outside Nigeria, just post the money inside the person bank account here in Nigeria and the person will withdraw it via atm machine or POS at walmart or store to purchase money order and the person can then deposit the money order into his/her US bank account. Thats my own little knowledge ooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 8:54pm On Oct 21, 2013
waledudu: Hi peeps.. Wat is d best and cheapest way of sending money abroad(US) ie for sumone witout a DOM acct.

Another option is that, If the person has a GTBank Mastercard which was issued to him here in Nigeria when he Opened his account before he traveled to the US, you can pay the money in his GTBank Account and he will withdraw the money in the US..

It's as easy as that.. And you won't have to spend money on wire transfer e.t.c.

NB: Your Contact in the US will be charged #1,000 for every cash withdrawn with his Mastercard in any ATM, POS or any Shopping outlets in the US..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iamchux(m): 8:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
imperiouxx:

My ears ossicles are vibrating! Ame (0 GMT) to frica (~-6 GMT) again!
grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tochium: 9:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
waledudu:
7 working days.. Try track it on d internet. www.emsng.com or www.usps.com

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ultrazone(m): 9:20pm On Oct 21, 2013
@all, thanks for the contributions on this thread.
I'm a DVM graduate here in Nigeria, interested in pursuing a career in virology in the States. Would you advise that I have my masters here and come over for my Phd or otherwise. I'm considering cost and the duration of these programmes (time needed to straighten things up as regards permanent stay). Kindly shed more light on the differences in the cost of the MS and Phd programmes, as well as job prospects for a virologist over there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by babsharon(m): 9:30pm On Oct 21, 2013
Tochium: How long does it take for a parcel sent via Nipost Registered Mail to arrive USA? I need ur kind answers
10 working days.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 9:57pm On Oct 21, 2013
The guy that wants to send money, use GTBANK Account, if the recipient has one.
The charge on ATM cash withdrawal is 420Naira and not 1000. Also, there is no charge when you swipe the card on POS or for cash back. Its free.

Seunolumonday I was waiting for good news, but don't be deterred. Its yours next time kiss

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 9:58pm On Oct 21, 2013
ultrazone: @all, thanks for the contributions on this thread.
I'm a DVM graduate here in Nigeria, interested in pursuing a career in virology in the States. Would you advise that I have my masters here and come over for my Phd or otherwise. I'm considering cost and the duration of these programmes (time needed to straighten things up as regards permanent stay). Kindly shed more light on the differences in the cost of the MS and Phd programmes, as well as job prospects for a virologist over there.

It depends on which of the two admissions is easy for you to secure. PhD is more research base than MS. Duration of a PhD program is 5 to 7 years but you'll to pass the qualifying exams for candidacy at the second year of starting the program. Cost of PhD program for science fields is almost $0.00 from your pocket and between $23,000 to $35,000 paid to you by the school. Getting job is the final stage you need to worry about for now but there are quite number of science jobs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 10:05pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ms Nas: The guy that wants to send money, use GTBANK Account, if the recipient has one.
The charge on withdrawal is 420Naira and not 1000. Also, there is no charge when you swipe the card on POS or for cash back. Its free.

Seunolumonday I was waiting for good news, but don't be deterred. Its yours next time kiss

But i thought it was formerly #1,000 for every cash withdrawal in the US. Then i guess they have changed the system....

Anyways, Since you are already in the US, you should know better...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 10:14pm On Oct 21, 2013
Walspring:

If the person have GTB naira mastercard ATM or any Nigeria bank provided he/she can use the outside Nigeria, just post the money inside the person bank account here in Nigeria and the person will withdraw it via atm machine or POS at walmart or store to purchase money order and the person can then deposit the money order into his/her US bank account. Thats my own little knowledge ooo

You'v Got a PM bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

But i thought it was formerly #1,000 for every cash withdrawal in the US. Then i guess they have changed the system....

Anyways, Since you are already in the US, you should know better...
It's 420 now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Oreskid: 10:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
Thanks so much all. I appreciate it all... Will take notice of all u have said and try contact the skool for a new I-20 for another session cos I can't use dis I-20 again skool resume 28th oct.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
@Seunolumonday, I strongly believe that the lady at the embassy does not want you to have problems at the POE whatsoever. You could have booked your flight indicating you're leaving to the States at least on Saturday. I mean the bookings you don't need to pay a dime and present the paperwork to her. Perhaps she could have had a rethink. It's okay. Remain strong and better luck next time!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
Hi house,

How I fit connect Ame rica from A frica? Oops! I mean to say Minnesota from New York.. Thanks! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
@Amefrica, through the Geographical Compass of course. You can as well ask the pilots. Amefrica, you're indeed everywhere. Keep it up dude:-)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 21, 2013
De Tus: @Amefrica, through the Geographical Compass of course. You can as well ask the pilots. Amefrica, you're indeed everywhere. Keep it up dude:-)

grin sarcasm? Thanks bro. Are you back?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by webstradamus: 11:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
Ms Nas:
It's 420 now

Plus the US bank's ATM fees which could range from $3 to $5 per transaction. Also note that some bank ATM's have very low ATM withdrawal limits (sometimes as low as $300) per transaction and all those charges would eventually add up.

@waledudu ... I posted this a while back.

webstradamus:

Just in case anyone is still looking for a cost-effective (or should I say cost-free grin) way of transferring money from their GTB account to their US bank account, simply go to any Walmart and purchase a money order in your name using your GTB Naira Mastercard. You can then pay in the money order to your US bank account. You do not incur any charges from GTB (since it is a POS transaction) and the money order only costs $0.70 (70 cents). If you ask me I'd say this is the cheapest and fastest way to transfer funds to the US from Naija. However, maximum you can go on a single money order is $1000 so if you wanted to transfer say $5000, you would have to purchase 5 money orders (total cost will be $3.50). Imagine how much savings you would be making when compared to doing a wire transfer! Plus you get your money instantly!!

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 12:11am On Oct 22, 2013
webstradamus:

Plus the US bank's ATM fees which could range from $3 to $5 per transaction. Also note that some bank ATM's have very low ATM withdrawal limits (sometimes as low as $300) per transaction and all those charges would eventually add up.

I know about the ATM charges. What I was referring to was the 1000naira flat rate GTBANK used to charge back then, excluding the US bank ATM Charges.
I've only ever withdrawn on an ATM with my GT card sha. GTBANK charged me 420, US bank charged me $2.
Most times I use your idea and do cash back. I will buy stuffs worth very little cash, and check them out individually for cashback grin grin
I've used the money order ish too cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 1:45am On Oct 22, 2013
sholay2011: Happy birthday to @bigfrancis. So, you're even @Mukina2's birthday mate...okay naa.

Wow! Mukina's birthday was also yesterday? So she's my fellow birthday mate and libran? Wonderful! cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 1:52am On Oct 22, 2013
IamChux, Lisadem, Conyema, OjaP, Winbyforce, Ms Nas, Sholay2011, Graviton, Idalex, Nomso, Gr8ever...thank you all very much for the sincere birthday wishes. I'm grateful.

@Iamchux...lololz. Don't worry, man. smiley

I want to thank all of you who sent me heartfelt birthday wishes. May God bless you enough. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 1:56am On Oct 22, 2013
sholay2011: Hello. I just saw my Toefl results. Even though I didn't prepare well (less than a week prep due to d disappointment of GRE), I had 98.

Someone said the score is okay to get an admission. I want to further in Agricultural Economics in Masters. Had 307 in GRE. lipsrsealed

What advice do experienced ppl in the house have for me?

Your TOEFL score is excellent.

Your GRE score isn't bad neither. YES, it can get you admission into Agricultural Economics MS program. Many US above average schools usually have 300 as their minimum and you had 307. That's ok. You qualify.

Your next port of call now will be to use google and search out the list of schools you'll be applying to. Check out their requirement and ensure that you qualify on all requirement.

Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lentywilly: 9:12am On Oct 22, 2013
Baba Imperioxx where are you?
I owe you a lot...
House My Visa was just approved an hour ago at Abuja Embassy today.
I thank God for his mercies and grace.
Will post my interview questions and answers soon.
Love to all Members of this house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 22, 2013
lentywilly: Baba Imperioxx where are you?
I owe you a lot...

Congrats bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by idalex: 9:48am On Oct 22, 2013
I owe you a lot...

congrats, wish u d best in ur endeavours.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kunlebal(m): 9:54am On Oct 22, 2013
I owe you a lot...
Congrats bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by babsharon(m): 10:21am On Oct 22, 2013
I owe you a lot...
Congrat Lentywilly . More success story to come.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by winbyforce: 10:26am On Oct 22, 2013
@lentywilly, Congrats and enjoy your studies in the US!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by harkynon(m): 11:39am On Oct 22, 2013
Hello nairalanders. I want people to make comments about this school and its location. Utah state university. Isn't this a red flag to VOs? And does anyone reside there here that can tell me more about the cost of living there. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by godG: 11:41am On Oct 22, 2013
I owe you a lot...

Let's break kolanut to that. Congrats. God's best!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.