Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,258 members, 7,818,881 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (233) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454790 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 8:40pm On Jul 04, 2014
@olumide14, congratulations bro, welcome on board
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 8:47pm On Jul 04, 2014
stevecrun: no university in the United States takes in for fall 2014 again.

My brother,i would not advice you chill as you've stated above.Kindly,start searching for schools and cities of your choice directing your search towards your intended course of study and apply for Spring.Our individual choices differ coz i can't read minds,so i can't give you schools and states you would want.

And talking about those standardized tests,you can't escape them.Because,if your schools waive them for you,the visa officers usually ask for them in most scenarios.So,write at least one.
Goodluck,on your search.

Like Stevecrun said, you can't chill just yet, you'll have enough time to chill when you've submitted all your applications. Putting an application together is quite stressful, especially if you're applying to several schools almost at the same time. Please start arranging your documents, references, statements, etc because they're time consuming and require alot of patience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 8:48pm On Jul 04, 2014
exxy: @olumide14, congratulations bro, welcome on board

Thanks Exxy. Where are you headed?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 04, 2014
stevecrun: no university in the United States takes in for fall 2014 again.

My brother,i would not advice you chill as you've stated above.Kindly,start searching for schools and cities of your choice directing your search towards your intended course of study and apply for Spring.Our individual choices differ coz i can't read minds,so i can't give you schools and states you would want.

And talking about those standardized tests,you can't escape them.Because,if your schools waive them for you,the visa officers usually ask for them in most scenarios.So,write at least one.
Goodluck,on your search.
Yea I wrote the SAT and got a cumulative score of 1543. spring is January right? sorry I said winter in ma last post and talking about universities I want, any would do. I just want it in a place where they don't fancy or tolerate racial profiling. so which states in the United States is good for a nigga like maself? + I'm going for Medical courses.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by exxy(m): 8:56pm On Jul 04, 2014
olumide14, i am headed south, mississippi
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 9:07pm On Jul 04, 2014
exxy: olumide14, i am headed south, mississippi

That's great. I'm also going south, Texas.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 9:12pm On Jul 04, 2014
Pros in the house, how do I start a new thread? A serious matter dey my mind and it needs to be shared. Awaiting your response(s).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:16pm On Jul 04, 2014
olumide14:

That's great. I'm also going south, Texas.

I'm for Texas too. Where in Texas are you headed?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 9:20pm On Jul 04, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

I'm for Texas too. Where in Texas are you headed?

Yay, finally! I'm heading towards Lubbock. Where in Texas are you going?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:25pm On Jul 04, 2014
olumide14:

Yay, finally! I'm heading towards Lubbock. Where in Texas are you going?

I'm headed straight to the capital of the Lone star state. I'm going to Austin, Texas.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 9:33pm On Jul 04, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

I'm headed straight to the capital of the Lone star state. I'm going to Austin, Texas.

Nice one. I didn't know Austin was the capital! I learn everyday. Always thought it was Dallas. Are you moving this month or in Aug?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imadebaby: 9:36pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hi all wat re my chances of getting a visa for a graduate certificate program
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 9:56pm On Jul 04, 2014
olumide14:

Nice one. I didn't know Austin was the capital! I learn everyday. Always thought it was Dallas. Are you moving this month or in Aug?

Yeah, Austin is the capital of Texas. I'm leaving in August.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 10:59pm On Jul 04, 2014
godG, I stayed in town all through, but I was sleeping in Awo Block 5, every other week sha...

Olumide14, congratulations and welcome to the fold bro.

Slimmy, I am certain you are getting your visa bro, by God's grace.

Graviton, 1st Olumide and Juntod, please explain to me how you guys are getting those ticket prices. I am thinking of going to the airport and talk to airlines directly as I am leaving in August.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by godG: 11:04pm On Jul 04, 2014
Feexo: godG, I stayed in town all through, but I was sleeping in Awo Block 5, every other week sha...

I stayed in Awo all through.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 11:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hello friends,
Please does anybody have idea of available dates in Lagos embassy??.. I wanna know my chances of meeting up..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Adroitbabz: 11:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
Congrats to all who got approved during and after the NL shutdown, wish you all success.

Thanks @Walspring for helping me reconnect.

WHO IS HEADING TO MISSOURI?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Adroitbabz: 11:15pm On Jul 04, 2014
@Iamchux, I can see you sent me a PM but can't get. Kindly resend.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by fadex56: 11:32pm On Jul 04, 2014
domex007: Hello friends,
Please does anybody have idea of available dates in Lagos embassy??.. I wanna know my chances of meeting up..
The first available date is August 5
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 04, 2014
Samsleek7: Yea I wrote the SAT and got a cumulative score of 1543. spring is January right? sorry I said winter in ma last post and talking about universities I want, any would do. I just want it in a place where they don't fancy or tolerate racial profiling. so which states in the United States is good for a nigga like maself? + I'm going for Medical courses.
your SAT score is good.Yes ,spring classes starts January,applications ends October depends on the school though.

If you don't fancy racial profiling/discrimination,why don't you try Texas..especially schools in Houston,they are mainly blacks there.Am heading to Minnesota,where it's mainly whites there and a few black.I don't care about racial discrimination..am going to get a degree and see how it goes from there.

So,my brother,as Olumide14 said,make hay while the sun still dey hot.No time bro..start profile schools and send in your applications.Goodluck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 04, 2014
fadex56:
August 5
wow!So ,Lagos is filled?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 12:35am On Jul 05, 2014
Feexo: godG, I stayed in town all through, but I was sleeping in Awo Block 5, every other week sha...

Olumide14, congratulations and welcome to the fold bro.

Slimmy, I am certain you are getting your visa bro, by God's grace.

Graviton, 1st Olumide and Juntod, please explain to me how you guys are getting those ticket prices. I am thinking of going to the airport and talk to airlines directly as I am leaving in August.

Thank you Feexo. You can check for prices on wakanow. Just type wakanow.com into your browser or google. Another way to check is to go to the airline's website, click on flights and fill in the boxes. Nobody goes all the way to the airport to find out prices anymore Feexo. Use google to find your desired airline's website.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olumide14: 12:39am On Jul 05, 2014
Graviton v.2.0.:

Yeah, Austin is the capital of Texas. I'm leaving in August.

Have a safe trip bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by TheDim(m): 1:24am On Jul 05, 2014
Hello House,Kindly outline the process of requesting for an expedited appointment at the US Consulate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 1:29am On Jul 05, 2014
olumide14:

Have a safe trip bro

Yeah. You too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 3:43am On Jul 05, 2014
Amen
olumide098:

Baba..You will surely get it. I know you have worked so hard..God will crown your effort.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mjseun(m): 3:45am On Jul 05, 2014
olumide14: Hello House, I'd like to share my interview transcript and experience with y'all because this forum was the best and only preparation I got. May God bless you guys real good. My appointment was for 7am, got there 6:30ish and there was already an almighty crowd outside.

ADVICE
Warning inserted: please don't forget your DS-160, a girl 2/3 places ahead of me did, mehn...I felt for her. I think she sorted it out eventually because I saw her inside the interview hall. You shouldn't choose the day of your interview to give your heart unnecessary trouble by forgetting any *important* document because thinking of the interview alone is enough stress for your nerves. I'll skip some details (security check, biometrics, etc) and go straight to the interview. Hint: Be alert! Especially when you're in the interview hall. The moment you see your number flash at a counter go straight to that counter... Don't get carried away. You're not there to stare at people's shoes or dilly-dally. Don't let them start looking for you biko.

INTERVIEW

ME: Hello, good morning.
VO: Hello. So you're going to the US for your doctorate. That's about 4 or 5 years right? (Looks at me and then back at his computer)
ME: Yes (That's what my I-20 says)
VO: Why did you choose this school?
ME: I chose Texas Tech because of the availability of expertise in the areas of research I'm interested in working on.
VO: Exper...what? (Starts typing furiously!)
ME: Expertise
VO: What does it mean?
ME: Can't remember exactly what I said but it went along the lines of "It means there are seasoned faculty members in my department..."
VO: Oh...I'm not familiar with that word. I thought you said 'expatriate'.
ME: Oh ok
VO: So how did you get admitted into this school? What procedure did you follow?
ME: First, I completed an online application on the 'Apply Texas' website, then I sent in my documents - by documents I mean transcripts. Lastly, I wrote standardized tests and had my scores sent to the school.
VO: What tests did you write?
ME: GRE and TOEFL
VO: Cuts me short. Can I see your test scores?
ME: Just a moment please (passed the docs to him)
VO: Okay. Looks at them and types something into his computer
VO: Are you working?
ME: No I'm not. I recently completed my Master's and because I plan to further my education, I've been busy preparing for the standardized tests that I was required to write.
VO: Nods and types again
VO: So you have a Master's degree, where did you study?
ME: United Kingdom
VO: What school?
ME: Univ of .... (privacy reasons)
VO: What course?
ME: Economics
VO: When did you return to Nigeria?
ME: January 2013
VO: Who is your sponsor?
ME: My Dad
VO: Do you have his statement with you?
ME: Yes
VO: Let me take a look at it.
ME: Sure, let me get that out for you (I had all my stuff in my clear bag)
VO: Looks at it and nods. Later on says something about something on the statement. (I didn't hear him and I had no idea what he could have seen on that statement...my brain started working sharp sharp).
ME: Sorry I didn't get that, could you say that again?
VO: Oh...there's something about closure proceeds on the statement that I can't figure out, do you know where it's from? (He holds it up to the window and points it out to me)
ME: It's a savings account and that's the interest that was accrued from the money being in fixed deposit.
VO: Okay, that clears it up (returns the statement to me). What does you dad do?
ME: He's a lecturer
VO: Where?
ME: Told him. Sorry guys, can't say that openly here
VO: What does he lecture? (He has been typing endlessly all this while)
ME: Told him. Ditto the reasons above.
VO: Types for some secs then gets a white paper. Looks at me and says "pick it up next week at Isolo" and points to the address before passing the paper to me.
ME: I smile and say thank you. Put my things back into my clear bag and waka comot

Lol...mehn, I'm exhausted from typing this transcript! Apparently my interview was quite lengthy. Most of the time, the VO's cut you short so keep your answers short and straight to the point. Meanwhile, while I was seated (hope I spelt it correctly, make I no gbagaun o) and awaiting my turn, one VO was seriously tackling one guy. So be ready for any question and please be honest. If you're honest, you won't fear being caught in a lie. Now, I understand circumstances are different, if for any reason you can't come out and say the truth ask God for wisdom...lol

This is my first time posting here. I figured that since I'd learnt from the experience of others it would be unfair not to share mine and help prepare those getting ready for their interviews. It's my prayer that yours will also be a success story IJN (Amen). So march on in God's confidence. Above all, it has been GOD. Before I went for my interview, I told God that YOU who started it will be the ONE to complete it. He will do the same for you.

Congratulations friend!
Just a question, please did you get any find from the school you going or the doctorate will be solely funded by Dad? Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mjseun(m): 3:52am On Jul 05, 2014
Walspring:

Hope you have pay for sevis fee? only asking bro

your pic look like a guy in AAUA..

Really? Maybe he's my twin bro.... two people look alike you know! Lol. Are you a student of AAUA or an alumni?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 3:59am On Jul 05, 2014
Must 1 fill his service year PPA as work experience?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by STENON(f): 5:07am On Jul 05, 2014
@Olumide14, Congratulations on your Visa Approval.....I wish you a successful staying in Obamaland......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:25am On Jul 05, 2014
streetMic: Must 1 fill his service year PPA as work experience?
Of course, why not help yourself and fill it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 5:29am On Jul 05, 2014
godG, Awo na the very place! Do you know guys like: Saburi, Tunde Eso and Iroko? They were pretty popular in Awo...

Olumide, I will do as you have suggested... I am pondering going there cos one of my female friends in school works with Qatar at the airport , and I was wondering if she could be of any help...

(1) (2) (3) ... (230) (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.