Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,175 members, 7,849,631 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:26 AM

How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? (676 Views)

Can Nigerians Do Without The Services Provided By The South- Africans? / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? / Suggestions To Make Nigeria Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by dotcomnamename: 10:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
This is a question that came to my mind when i was having a conversation with a friend in the UK who believe Nigeria can never be better with the bunch of looters/leaders we have in Nigeria.

Because we have Polithievians, does that mean Nigeria can never move forward for a positive change?

I told my friend that 'With me and you, Nigeria can be better'', but anytime i tell him this, he always reply me with ''Why dont you leave Dublin and go to Nigeria''

So i decided to bring the issue here so that other Nigerians here can wade into this.

HOW CAN NIGERIANS IN DIASPORA MAKE NIGERIA BETTER?
FOR THE FACT THAT WE HAVE BAD LEADERS IN NIGERIA, DOES THAT MEAN NIGERIA WILL REMAIN THE SAME FOREVER?

1 Like

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by Infomizer(m): 10:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
Make 'diaspora' unwelcome for the polithievians when they come a-visiting. We'll do the same on the home front too. wink
Don't mind me o! I've got no intelligent response yet! When I'm in 'diaspora', I'll think of something..grin
Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by tobechi20(m): 10:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
By coming back home
Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by atlwireles: 11:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
By staying where they are. They only cause trouble here.
Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
1. Denying being a Nigerian when caught in evil/bad act. (This will help protect our global image)

2. Invest in something in Nigeria or start a business; creating jobs + remiting taxes

3. Be an angel investor for small business start-up in Nigeria.

4. Enlighten your friends about Nigeria and tell them it's not as bad as it's being portrayed on TV.

5. Come home and vote if you can.

6. Educate your immediate/extended family that cannot afford standard education. (the more literate we have, the better it gets)

7. Stop sending money to your brothers at home. Make them work for every penny.

8. Invite NGO to your local community and let them help your community.

9. Be a good citizen wherever you are and don't tear your green passport when you have the red/blue one.

10. Stop posting pictures of you in front of a stranger's ferarri on Facebook and twitter.

3 Likes

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by Ndipe(m): 11:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
Phder: 1. Denying being a Nigerian when caught in evil/bad act. (This will help protect our global image)

2. Invest in something in Nigeria or start a business; creating jobs + remiting taxes

4. Enlighten your friends about Nigeria and tell them it's not as bad as it's being portrayed on TV.

6. Educate your immediate/extended family that cannot afford standard education. (the more literate we have, the better it gets)

9. Be a good citizen wherever you are and don't tear your green passport when you have the red/blue one.

10. Stop posting pictures of you in front a stranger's ferarri on Facebook and twitter.

Number 10 is funny but true.

2 Likes

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by UuzbaGuuzba: 11:29pm On Oct 17, 2013
How can Nigerian's in Diaspora...,?
Well, give yourself a time limit and comeback home at the end. You can never be a 1st class citizen in another man's country. You'll always be looked down upon. Which book are you reading there that THEY didn't write for you? So why should they respect you?

Come back with knowledge to Nigeria and put it into ACTION. Vote. Be a voice. Be heard. Speakout. This is your country. Stop leaving it to run on autopilot.

1 Like

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by biafranqueen: 12:13am On Oct 18, 2013
The poster with the Top ten spoke well kiss
I look forward to coming home in 3 weeks, especially because we want to vote, that is very important but I would love if they can start an absentee ballot program for NID.

NID also must become more vocal in local politics. It is imperative that we visit political and traditional leaders, to find out what we can do to help them serve the community and not just show up when we are looking for favors. They love to hear our opinion, ideas and constructive criticism. You would be surprised how you are welcomed with open arms from the state to Abuja.

In the United States several programs, grants and loans are available to US citizens to start something in Nigeria, especially if the service or products are from the USA we must take advantage of these opportunities, my experience is that anything that has inventory, you need to be on site. If your not into trading a couple of business ideas that work is renting out flats and houses because they pay up front, you can hire someone to do maintenance and ground keeping. Schools are also a good option, just put in place a good headmaster.

All of these NID community associations that are raising funds in the US to build hospital, Library, refurbish schools, must start proving to us that you really spent the money on the project you promised. Stop using the money to build an additional room to your house or upgrading your car. I will no longer donate to any association that does not have a project on the ground in progress.

NID we have to come together to lobby for students that want to continue in their education abroad. I see how the Chinese and Europeans set up programs that fast track student visas and set up family's that will provide room, board and food for visiting students. We have to create the same host family opportunities, for our people.

I agree that giving money does not help as the poster above mentioned. If you can assist a person in starting a business in the long run it will save you money and create cash flow for the family, while building a sense of pride and responsibility. It would be great if we could partner and become investors, but usually that does not work, unless you can visit Nigeria 4 times a year.

Stop sending money home to build houses you will 90% of the time be disappointed.

1 Like

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by dotcomnamename: 12:37am On Oct 18, 2013
Phder: 1. Denying being a Nigerian when caught in evil/bad act. (This will help protect our global image)

10. Stop posting pictures of you in front of a stranger's ferarri on Facebook and twitter.

You are a true tick Nigerian. You should go for politics maybe you might lead/change Nigeria one day you never know cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by dotcomnamename: 12:38am On Oct 18, 2013
Uuzba Guuzba: How can Nigerian's in Diaspora...,?
Well, give yourself a time limit and comeback home at the end. You can never be a 1st class citizen in another man's country. You'll always be looked down upon. Which book are you reading there that THEY didn't write for you? So why should they respect you?

Come back with knowledge to Nigeria and put it into ACTION. Vote. Be a voice. Be heard. Speakout. This is your country. Stop leaving it to run on autopilot.

Thank you
Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by dotcomnamename: 12:39am On Oct 18, 2013
biafranqueen: The poster with the Top ten spoke well kiss
I look forward to coming home in 3 weeks, especially because we want to vote, that is very important but I would love if they can start an absentee ballot program for NID.

NID also must become more vocal in local politics. It is imperative that we visit political and traditional leaders, to find out what we can do to help them serve the community and not just show up when we are looking for favors. They love to hear our opinion, ideas and constructive criticism. You would be surprised how you are welcomed with open arms from the state to Abuja.

In the United States several programs, grants and loans are available to US citizens to start something in Nigeria, especially if the service or products are from the USA we must take advantage of these opportunities, my experience is that anything that has inventory, you need to be on site. If your not into trading a couple of business ideas that work is renting out flats and houses because they pay up front, you can hire someone to do maintenance and ground keeping. Schools are also a good option, just put in place a good headmaster.

All of these NID community associations that are raising funds in the US to build hospital, Library, refurbish schools, must start proving to us that you really spent the money on the project you promised. Stop using the money to build an additional room to your house or upgrading your car. I will no longer donate to any association that does not have a project on the ground in progress.

NID we have to come together to lobby for students that want to continue in their education abroad. I see how the Chinese and Europeans set up programs that fast track student visas and set up family's that will provide room, board and food for visiting students. We have to create the same host family opportunities, for our people.

I agree that giving money does not help as the poster above mentioned. If you can assist a person in starting a business in the long run it will save you money and create cash flow for the family, while building a sense of pride and responsibility. It would be great if we could partner and become investors, but usually that does not work, unless you can visit Nigeria 4 times a year.

Stop sending money home to build houses you will 90% of the time be disappointed.

Well done, you're a true Nigerian..

I hope to do the same by the Grace of God, though for Business and investment! wink

1 Like

Re: How Can Nigerians In Diaspora Make Nigeria Better? by biafranqueen: 7:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
dotcom_na_me_na_me:

Well done, you're a true Nigerian..

I hope to do the same by the Grace of God, though for Business and investment! wink
You will do it thank you for posting this topic! This is very important and needs to be discussed, I wish more NIN would tell us what they would like to see us assist them with!

(1) (Reply)

Protesters To Storm Aviation Ministry To Demand Minister's Removal / The Richest People In Africa 2013 / How (not) To Die In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.