Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training (1300 Views)

Online Programming Tutorial / 82 Free Tutorials In iOS & iPhone Programming Course For Beginners / Which Computer Programming Course Is Relevant For A Microbiologist To Undergo??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by flames7154: 11:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
There are many training centers in Nigeria today, claiming to offer the best programming training. most of them demand an outrageous amount for training. I fell into a trap like that once - I paid about N200k to learn Java programming, at the end of the day, I discovered that my teacher was also a beginner in programming like me. Finally I had to struggle to teach myself after paying a huge sum.

Can someone tell me if it is really worth it to pay so much, when you are not sure about the quality of the instructor that will take you on the course. I think some of you know what am trying to say here - I feel others have similar experiences too.

Any IT guru in naija will tell you that he/she was self taught - they had to battle with video tutorials and ebooks to get to where they are. Thank God for free online courses, it does not cost you anything - check these free IT and programming online courses out -http://veryfreethings.com/?cat=26 and tell me what you think.
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by kambo(m): 8:09pm On Oct 18, 2013
There's always a price tag.
Time and money wise.
If u ar self taught,u'll may stii end up spendg N200k+ (or significant amount) to attain proficiency AND it will take longer
than if u were under a capable teacher.
You'll make all d mistakes beginners make,battle the fear and demotivation they battle
, etc.
Self taught doesnt mean - zero/lil cost.
E.g internet cost * x years u'll b self teaching urself.
Data storage cost
data recovery cost (wen u experience data loss . It always happens at d onset)
electricity generation cost
computer parts + accessories cost
expect to go thru at least 1 xtra computer b4 u turn pro
, you'll buy and replace hard ware parts often
books - depends on d level u want to settle at- ebooks will not cut it in d very long run and some books u cant get as free download
expect to spend at least 1 - 3 years evolving a personal distinct programming style.
Update cost- a lot of outflow will go in this direction,cuz watever ur specialty, tht field is a moving target u gotta keep learning, relearning new stuffs in d field.
By the time u beat ur chest and say i'm gud enuff, N200k will b chicken change. Even at tht u'll b humble to know u aint started yet! There's still a lot to learn.

I do see some ads saying they'll teach you programming in a couple of weeks..
Thts mor like playng on d ignorance of the prospective learner.
I once went to a computer school to make enquiries after i was already knowledgeable in programming,the attendant was selling dot net stuff and i asked wat about java , then began a silly attempt to hide his ignorance.
He began disparaging java , talkg bs about how i'd need to memorise a lot of code in my head and stuff. Cock and bull.
In d long run ur better off self taught cuz then u set ur own boundaries and dont hav to acquire the teacher's limitations.
But beware, a truly good teacher will charge serious money to teach you (esp if he's self taught and productive).
If i were to interview a teacher to teach me my focus would b on looking at wat he has been able to accomplish so far. Wat significant software has he/she written. That's d litmus test cuz , in reality, its easier to teach than code and most lazy programmers opt for the easier path while milking their victims silly.
Also if he's going to teach u, both of you shud wrk on a significant project tht uses all/most of d concepts you've been taught so far. Lazy teachers avoid this part.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by Javanian: 8:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
kambo: There's always a price tag.
Time and money wise.
If u ar self taught,u'll may stii end up spendg N200k+ (or significant amount) to attain proficiency AND it will take longer
than if u were under a capable teacher.
You'll make all d mistakes beginners make,battle the fear and demotivation they battle
, etc.
Self taught doesnt mean - zero/lil cost.
E.g internet cost * x years u'll b self teaching urself.
Data storage cost
data recovery cost (wen u experience data loss . It always happens at d onset)
electricity generation cost
computer parts + accessories cost
expect to go thru at least 1 xtra computer b4 u turn pro
, you'll buy and replace hard ware parts often
books - depends on d level u want to settle at- ebooks will not cut it in d very long run and some books u cant get as free download
expect to spend at least 1 - 3 years evolving a personal distinct programming style.
Update cost- a lot of outflow will go in this direction,cuz watever ur specialty, tht field is a moving target u gotta keep learning, relearning new stuffs in d field.
By the time u beat ur chest and say i'm gud enuff, N200k will b chicken change. Even at tht u'll b humble to know u aint started yet! There's still a lot to learn.

I do see some ads saying they'll teach you programming in a couple of weeks..
Thts mor like playng on d ignorance of the prospective learner.
I once went to a computer school to make enquiries after i was already knowledgeable in programming,the attendant was selling dot net stuff and i asked wat about java , then began a silly attempt to hide his ignorance.
He began disparaging java , talkg bs about how i'd need to memorise a lot of code in my head and stuff. Cock and bull.
In d long run ur better off self taught cuz then u set ur own boundaries and dont hav to acquire the teacher's limitations.
But beware, a truly good teacher will charge serious money to teach you (esp if he's self taught and productive).
If i were to interview a teacher to teach me my focus would b on looking at wat he has been able to accomplish so far. Wat significant software has he/she written. That's d litmus test cuz , in reality, its easier to teach than code and most lazy programmers opt for the easier path while milking their victims silly.
Also if he's going to teach u, both of you shud wrk on a significant project tht uses all/most of d concepts you've been taught so far. Lazy teachers avoid this part.

You made some sense and got somethings totally wrong. Most of these so called schools would teach you little or NOTHING! i was a victim of such. I thought i had it all there and had known it all but with time i found out i was just starting. Most of the expenses you would incure while being self taught you would incure them even if you have a teacher. You would have a laptop of your own, still spend money on internet plans, still spend money on electricity, still spend money on data storage cost, still spend money on every other thing you mentioned! Not even in the M.I.T would they teach you every thing. Most of what you would learn in this field you would teach yourself. If you think going to an institution would make you pro, you are in for a long ride!
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by GideonG(m): 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
I am a passionate Android developer with four android apps under my belt and I am still learning. I have published two apps already in the google play store. I also work for a company in Lagos as a web and mobile developer. I made money from PHP too which is my first language.

I have never been to any programming training but I am always with my laptop and internet almost 24 hours. I have more than 2000 videos downloaded, and bought reasonable books I do programming all the time and I am gradually heading towards where I always want to be as a programmer.
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by kambo(m): 10:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
Javanian:

You made some sense and got somethings totally wrong. Most of these so called schools would teach you little or NOTHING! i was a victim of such. I thought i had it all there and had known it all but with time i found out i was just starting. Most of the expenses you would incure while being self taught you would incure them even if you have a teacher. You would have a laptop of your own, still spend money on internet plans, still spend money on electricity, still spend money on data storage cost, still spend money on every other thing you mentioned! Not even in the M.I.T would they teach you every thing. Most of what you would learn in this field you would teach yourself. If you think going to an institution would make you pro, you are in for a long ride!

I ignored some assumptions in order not to complicate my explanation.
The cost of the machine you'll b using (laptop,desktop etc) i took 4 granted. A good laptop is around N150k. Which leaves lil left of a N200k budget.
I also assumed tht the tutor(in d institution) will save u time,if the learner goes the self taught route is top notch.
The assumption is necessary else my example bcomes senseless.
So if you find a top notch coder to teach you, you will certainly learn faster than if you are self taught.
Actually, the most important skill any top institution (M.I.T,harvard;etc ) impart into you/or should impart is an ability to initiate and direct and control your own educational destiny.
Not fill you up with a catalogue of knowledge and facts.
And in these regard theyve been very very successful judging by the number of projects their alumna hav initiated - too many to mention here.
Dropbox,google,facebook,Free software foundation, microsoft, etc all started by ivy league alumni. So these institutions must b doing a few things right.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by Djtm(m): 5:37am On Oct 19, 2013
kambo:

I ignored some assumptions in order not to complicate my explanation.
The cost of the machine you'll b using (laptop,desktop etc) i took 4 granted. A good laptop is around N150k. Which leaves lil left of a N200k budget.
I also assumed tht the tutor(in d institution) will save u time,if the learner goes the self taught route is top notch.
The assumption is necessary else my example bcomes senseless.
So if you find a top notch coder to teach you, you will certainly learn faster than if you are self taught.
Actually, the most important skill any top institution (M.I.T,harvard;etc ) impart into you/or should impart is an ability to initiate and direct and control your own educational destiny.
Not fill you up with a catalogue of knowledge and facts.
And in these regard theyve been very very successful judging by the number of projects their alumna hav initiated - too many to mention here.
Dropbox,google,facebook,Free software foundation, microsoft, etc all started by ivy league alumni. So these institutions must b doing a few things right.
you're right. Having a good teacher will save you some time.
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by jboy01(m): 7:28pm On Oct 19, 2013
but if U are self taught, u are going to have more experience than learning under a teacher.
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by Ajibel(m): 12:12am On Oct 20, 2013
I almost paid 130k at niit ikeja to study java last year buh my eye sharply open and i chose the path of self-teaching. In Naija, the better option is to learn online buh i wont still rule out man2man lectures cuz u might be lucky to meet a teacher who knowns his onions wella
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 20, 2013
Most of NIIT and APTECH centers are Just BIG NAMES with little or nufn to Offer..

Getting a Good Tutor to handle U is Ok, Buh the question is: Where can a Good Tutor be found in Naija??

Most of the Acclaimed tutors are Half-Baked.. They Only Know up to maybe Intermediate level which is not advisable.. Only Gurus in a Particular Field are supposed to Lecture Newbies..

U spend Virtually Almost the same amount when u study alone or when u have a Tutor and in some Cases Even more when u have a Tutor..

Imagine u Study in NIIT and doing a 200k Course.. U Pay 200k, U Buy a Good Laptop, The Lecturers charge u for their so called tutorial videos and Expensive Books, Transport Money to n fro + Other Unforseen Things..

Like me, I Study Alone. I already have a Laptop n a Blackberry n I Use MTN.. I Download all my Softwares, Ebooks, Videos with ma Phone and Transfer em to my Lappy and this Costs 1k per month. I follow Programming Gurus on Twitter and ask em Questions.. As Long as these websites Exists:
www.nairaland.com
www.stackoverflow.com
www.it-ebooks.info
www.thenewboston.org

I'll have no problems whatsoever in Learning alone..

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by HCpaul(m): 4:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
No teacher will build you, you will build yourself. If it is self taught, where are you learning from? Are U learning from the sky? U learn from teaches and build yourself because you cannot do it all alone.
Re: Which Is The Best - Online Programming Course Or A Physical Training by StartupsO2: 10:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
you can learn online, get certs too, from sites like udacity, coursera etc and can even buy downloaded video tutorials on memory card for next180.com

(1) (Reply)

Android Developers Easy ADB Tool / Web Development Tutorials / Sourceforge.net Is Down - Only Their Homepage Is Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.