Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces (21777 Views)

Sahara Reporters Labels Buhari As "Nigeria's Junketer-In-Chief" (Photos) / Troops Kill Boko Haram Commander In Borno Forest / Military Captures Injured Boko Haram Commander In Konduga Battle 18th September (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by joan1: 5:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
All government agencies were also directed to use Mr. Jonathan’s official portrait.

In what is a clear departure from the norm, the presidency has ordered all government functionaries to desist from addressing President Goodluck Jonathan as the “Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria” at non-military functions.

The directive is contained in a strongly worded October 14 circular, No SGF/OP/1/S.3/X/664, by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Pius Anyim.

The memo, obtained by PREMIUM TIMES, Thursday, was addressed to the Chief of Staff and Deputy Chief of Staff to the President, ministers, heads of ministries, departments, agencies and parastatals, the leadership of the National Assembly, and government-owned companies.

“It is further directed that except in purely armed forces programmes, Mr. President should not be addressed as the “Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” the statement warned.

“The approved designation of the President for the purposes of all official correspondence, public announcements or Communication should be “The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“I am to stress that for all official purposes, Mr. President should be addressed as follows: ‘His Excellency, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” Mr. Anyim added, urging strict compliance to the presidential directive by all Nigerians.

This new directive contradicts the norm among public office holders in Nigeria who like their titles, official and otherwise, emphasized at public events. It however, does not remove the fact that the president, by virtue of the constitution, is the commander of the Nigerian armed forces.

Section 130 (1) and (2) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) states: “There shall be for the Federation a President. The President shall be the Head of State, the Chief Executive of the Federation and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federation.”

Also, Section 218(1) of the constitution spells out the powers of the President as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federation to include the power to determine the operational use of the armed forces of the Federation.

The memo did not state the reason for Mr. Jonathan’s decision. But former Nigerian leaders, both military and civilian, have always been called by that title both in military and non-military programmes.

The Circular to this effect can be found here: http://premiumtimesng.com/news/146811-exclusive-dont-call-commander-chief-armed-forces-jonathan-tells-nigerians.html

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by nwaanambra1(m): 5:22pm On Oct 18, 2013

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Who cares? Will that make him stop being incompetent,corrupt and clueless? Nonsense! grin

55 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by DrWalter: 5:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
Who cares
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by donphilopus: 5:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
Does he even deserve the title?? What an imperil material??

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Okijajuju1(m): 5:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Okay...

What about Patience? Should we stop addressing her as the EgberiMama 1 of Nigeria?

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by KwoiZabo(m): 6:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
l've seen this long before now thats why I'll continue to be your fan. Things that Atiku, Amaechi and others are dying for. Ride on Mr. President we are solidly behind you.

43 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by creepsyme(f): 6:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
good talk! e no kuku resemble commander!

18 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Greatfuture: 6:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
is there something i dont get clear? Hope he also expunges it from the constitution
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by homesteady(m): 6:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Should we call this Humility? undecided

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by LajaLaba: 6:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Well God dey
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Emmysteve(m): 6:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
Humility at the highest order! I expect haters to call him names now. Mitttcchheeww to you haters!

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Trut(m): 6:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
Humility...
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by extremelygolden: 6:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
So be it then.
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by ballabriggs: 6:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
How does this reduce his N1 billion for food. Rubbish

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by KwoiZabo(m): 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
berem: Who cares? Will that make him stop being incompetent,corrupt and clueless? Nonsense! grin
shebi if I insult you back dem go call am cyber bully. This your heart that the president is breaking by his excellent leadership style will eventually burst before 2019. keep hating. foorish garl

30 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
berem: Who cares? Will that make him stop being incompetent,corrupt and clueless? Nonsense! grin

Although i don't like getting myself worked up in discussion that involves politics, but i have to tell you that Jonathan's Calmness and Attitude of being quiet and fair with decision is one of the best qualities of a leader, you do not need to show your stupidity by acting aggressive and always on the new-slight in other to show your power in Government... Obama is a clear Example of a leader who always want to take drastic actions in every situation if not mostly for the intervention of the senate, and this is why he has gotten so many critics all over the world with accusation of wanting to give bad credits to America as well as being an Anti-Christ.

24 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
undecided undecided All the people insulting the president here will lie down & lick his shoes if they ever meet him. Oya face me now

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Trut(m): 6:06pm On Oct 18, 2013

Hater will always hate...

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by RealAlfranco: 6:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
Now 2 all da jobless Anti-Goodluck 4 2015 comrades!!
ATTACK!!!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Nobody: 6:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
ballabriggs: How does this reduce his N1 billion for food. Rubbish

Tell that to the Senate, The President doesn't decide his salary, The Senate made that BILL to favor themselves, if the President doesn't have a higher bill, they themselves wont have as much as they do, so whenever they increase that of the President, they also increase theirs.

Your senators are the ones representing your REGION, so it is your leaders both Federal and State level that is causing the increase in such bills.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by saintneo(m): 6:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
It is good to properly address a position.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by snika: 6:09pm On Oct 18, 2013
Humility
Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by ballabriggs: 6:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
eddiebruk:

Tell that to the Senate, The President doesn't decide his salary, The Senate made that BILL to favor themselves, if the President doesn't have a higher bill, they themselves wont have as much as they do, so whenever they increase that of the President, they also increase theirs.

The Senate sent to the Senate a budget of N1 billion for food?

Cool story bro, you care to tell it again?

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by alotofgrace(m): 6:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
is it by force sef.....alakunrin maazi gej, i dont know why, but i just keep believing you

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Nobody: 6:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
eddiebruk:

Although i don't like getting myself worked up in discussion that involves politics, but i have to tell you that Jonathan's Calmness and Attitude of being quiet and fair with decision is one of the best qualities of a leader, you do not need to show your stupidity by acting aggressive and always on the new-slight in other to show your power in Government... Obama is a clear Example of a leader who always want to take drastic actions in every situation if not mostly for the intervention of the senate, and this is why he has gotten so many critics all over the world with accusation of wanting to give bad credits to America as well as being an Anti-Christ.
at the bolded, if you think that is what makes a good leader,then you're absolutely wrong!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by kingarizona(m): 6:11pm On Oct 18, 2013
Seems oga jona doesn't want the title

nairalanders can now address me as KING ARIZONA commander- in - chief of Armed forces of the federal repulic of ARIZONA Kingdom gringringrin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Trut(m): 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
ballabriggs:

The Senate sent to the Senate a budget of N1 billion for food?

Cool story bro, you care to tell it again?

Mr Man stick to main topic, this thread is not for N1 billion food.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by ballabriggs: 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
eddiebruk:

The qualities of a timid man and not a leader please.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Doesnt Want To Be Refered To As Commander-in-chief Of The Armed Forces by Sunny360: 6:13pm On Oct 18, 2013
Good 1. @ least,he wants 2 de-emphasize d 'military mentality'. 4 crying out loud,GEJ's a democratic(civilian) President & should be known (& adresd) as such.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Subjecting INEC To TSA Will Be A Disaster – Jega / Fact Check: Did APC Hold Presidential Screening As Okorocha Claimed During Raid? / Musiliu Smith Resigns As Police Service Commission Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.