Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,656 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? (1317 Views)

How Long Can Nigerians Wait On Buhari / Nigerians Wait For Election Result – In Pictures / Jonathan Urges Nigerians To Patiently Wait For INEC To Collate, Announce Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by kevd2: 4:27pm On Jul 06, 2008
have you noticed that we always pray to God to do what we are supposed to do for ourselves,he has blessed this Country already so what to we want.
we
-Pray for our leaders that we did not elect to succeed
- Pray for personal wealth when our country's economy is in ruins
-Pray that Nigeria will change when we our selves do not want to change
-Pray for safe journey when our roads are in tatters
- we bind all existing and non-existing demons on the road and do not bind our leaders that fail to maintain them
-Pray for divine healing when the white man is busy researching for new drugs.
-Pray for Good health when are immediate environment is filthy.
Pray for Freedom from economic oppresion but do nothing to protest Govt's Inaction or apparent wrong actions
-Pray to win football games that we did not prepare for
-Pray for God to bless Nigeria and yet embrace Corruption or do nothing about it.
Infact I believe that God is even tired of our prayers, afterall faith without works is dead.I strongly believe that we have to change this attitude and give God a break, if we are to achieve any meaningful SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.Pls Nairalanders and intellectuals in the house what do you think.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by DisGuy: 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2008
i think its just a saying, have you even seen someone going to church to pray for phcn?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by lucabrasi(m): 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2008
@poster
the question should be,what steps have you taken to change the situation?im guessing you r a nigerian too no?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by bilymuse: 5:26pm On Jul 06, 2008
if prayers is what Nigeria needs ,we would have been better than United state. l doubt it if there is anywhere in the world where so much prayers are said by so many unfortunate people like Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by kevd2: 6:06pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Lucabrasi (GodFather), that is what i said in my post that i needed your contributions, at least u seem to agree that what i said is true , so pls your suggestions.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by NigEclipse(m): 6:21pm On Jul 06, 2008
I do believe in a great powerful being that does exist, but I don't think that God has anything to do with ourlives in that manner. I think we're on our own while at the end every sinner is judged and punished individually. At one point, I had a great disbelief for the existence of a deity, but when you think of the existence of life you have to say to yourself that there is a great powerful being out there. Similar to the theory of creationism vs evolution. I think through creationism evolution began. And being Catholic, I pray to the Virgin Marry as well, and outside of the Catholic ring I have other beliefs concerning the existance of God. Allot of religions question her existence the way it is brought out in the bible. We have to wake up and smell the coffee people! I simply don't see God being fully involved in ourlives the way we think he is. For him to let so many people suffer the way they have, I simply find it to be an oxymoron. Look at Africa for example, do you know how cursed we are with this HIV epidemic? The world is against us as blacks, and we're considered the most inferior. To top it off, look what we're doing to ourselves all over the globe. THE KEY IS KNOW THAT GOD IS WITH YOU, BUT YOU SHOULD TAKE THE INITIATIVES TO TAKE CHARGE! We're always sitting at a corner praying to a so call "God" to rid us of our problems while we have the answer at our finger tips all along. While we idolize a deity to come and rid us of our devilish leaders who looted so much from us and left us hopeless and worthless, these thieves our in their million dollar mansions laughing at us. Religious people use the "God" theory to deceive and cheat; they put on a show to simply pretend to be religious.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by manmustwac(m): 6:28pm On Jul 06, 2008
Its coz Nigeria is a very religous country and since theres hardship and poverty everywhere its easier to pray for a miracle than to work towards it
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by digitalman: 9:05pm On Jul 06, 2008
It baffles me so much when I see that almost every nigerian wants god to do everything for them. It is a cankerworm that is keeping many people in one position. Many so called pastors know this and they use it to rip people off. eg how can every crusade conducted by all and sundry preach prosperity? how can a penniless person beleive he is going to have 1 million naira in one year just because he paid tithe to a pastor? The person in question did not go to school nor is he with any knowledge that will make him employable or fetch him a kobo. Yet they all beleive ! and they always `CLAIM IT`.

What can it be ?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by mazaje(m): 10:45pm On Jul 06, 2008
Nigerians need to stop praying to god or whoever and start fighting for their rights. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by seyibrown(f): 12:04am On Jul 07, 2008
We need to work and pray!

Faith, without works, is dead!

Work towards a better nation and keep praying for a better nation!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Busybody2(f): 1:59am On Jul 07, 2008
Orisanobua, shocked which kain post be this? shocked

You wan make the "the earth is 6000 years old and was made in 6 days" brigade come use holy_ghost_thunder_fire to come and recalibrate ya mouth cool

Wey dem dey sef, methinks it's high time I come to know and accept Jesus Christ as my Lord and my Saviour, I wonder where the "I want to give my life to Christ thread" is? 
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Hannibal: 3:32am On Jul 07, 2008
Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything?

Nigerians wait for God to do everything because of the huge abundance of natural resources.
Rivers, Trees, Good Soil, Plenty of Sunshine, Rain and reh reh reh. . . .
All these things have genetically indoctrinated us to believe everything we want must come from God.
If we had worked for most of these things by ourselves. . . . .we would have had a better assessment of the task at hand.

A farmer goes to his farm and spray corn seeds. . . . .in 3 days, it starts to germinate effortlessly. . . Its too divine.
Let a farmer try that in Iraq or Kiev and letz see if they output would be the same.
Right from the onset, whitemen knew they had to work for everything to survive. No free for all like we Africans.
This got em in a right frame of mind to WORK rather than wait for a god of thunder to make things work for em.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by doyin13(m): 3:38am On Jul 07, 2008
heehehehe. . . . . .So how about America, A land lot more endowed than Nigeria
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Hannibal: 3:42am On Jul 07, 2008
Are they??

Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Avalanches, Blizzards, Earthquakes and the annoying 4 seasons in a year??
Summer is 12 months in Nigeria, are u aware of that??
It's never a dull moment for us so don't compare.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by doyin13(m): 3:46am On Jul 07, 2008
Hannibal:

Are they??

Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Avalanches, Blizzards, Earthquakes and the annoying 4 seasons in a year??

Haha. . . . .Maybe America was a poor choice

Hmmm. . , lets try Australia then.

Large land mass. . . . .large deposits of natural resources and all round summer.

And not a care for God in sight.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Hannibal: 4:28am On Jul 07, 2008
doyin13:

Haha. . . . .Maybe America was a poor choice

Hmmm. . , lets try Australia then.

Large land mass. . . . .large deposits of natural resources and all round summer.

And not a care for God in sight.

Australia ma ass. .  . . .
Dutch explorers and British settlers took over from the Aboriginals who originally own the land.
How technologically advanced are the indigenous Australians before the white men came??
If that gets u confused, compare Australia to her neighbours {Tasmania or New Guinea}. . . .  .

Trust me, there's no place on planet earth with rich natural resources that is well developed.
Look at the Amazon forest in Brazil, how developed are they?? grin cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Kobojunkie: 4:31am On Jul 07, 2008
Hannibal:

Are they??

tell me about it!! it is annoying!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Jakumo(m): 6:55am On Jul 07, 2008
God is invoked by Nigerians whenever a scam is being run, as in "God knows I am an honest man who would not steal from you, and your missing money will be returned to you by the grace of God".

God is also convenient suspect to whom suspicion can be diverted when a Nigerian is planning something evil, as in "God will punish that man for exposing me as a thief and nearly getting me jailed"

God is also on hand to shoulder all the responsibilities for Nigerians that normally fall under the category of common sense in the rest of the world, as in " God will protect me so I don't need to be concerned with vehicle speed limits, car seat belts, or preventive maintenance."

God is also kept very busy in Nigeria on account of all the prayers sent up for Him to do the impossible, as in "God will not allow anything bad to happen to me no matter how foolhardy and irresponsible I am in my daily affairs, BUT God may well allow bad things to happen to other people, which is just fine by me".

God is ALWAYS on the side of ANY Nigerian who invokes His name, whether those prayers are offered by armed robbers as they prepare to head out for an evening of rape, pillage and murder, or by bible-thumping pastors who fleece the poor of their meager earnings in exchange for empty promises of great wealth in heaven, or by repairmen who assure that God will not permit mechanical failure after they have deliberately performed sub-standard fixes with cleverly cleaned up old and fatally defective parts made to appear new, or by semi-literate Nigerian "doctors" who promise God's protection to the relatives of hospital patients wrongly diagnosed and injected with counterfeit pharmaceutical compounds using dirty needles.

God, is the repository of all unrealistic and unrealisable hopes held by Nigerians.
" By the grace of God, I will pass all my exams without studying, and God won't let me get caught cheating."
" By the grace of God, those robbers conducting door-to-door raids down the entire block will OMIT my house."
" By the grace of God, I will become a millionaire very soon, purely from the proceeds of crime"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by lucabrasi(m): 12:06pm On Jul 07, 2008
faith without works is dead,theres nothing wrong in praying about everything,if you ask me,ill say prayers have helped nigeria or the situation will have gotten worse but i believe it should be backed up with practical actions to change the status quo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by otokx(m): 1:55pm On Jul 07, 2008
The average Nigerian is a coward.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by Mustay(m): 2:33pm On Jul 07, 2008
otokx:

The average Nigerian is a coward.

statistical
Re: Why Do Nigerians Wait For God To Do Everything? by abdurrazaq(m): 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2008
The Bible says that GOD created man in HIS own image (don't ask me the chapter and the verse). The Qur'an says that GOD referred to man as his representative on earth while planning his (man) creation. The truth of the matter is that so many people (especially Nigerians) can not really understand most of what they read from these religious books. It's even surprising to know that we devote more time to these religions to some other countries in the world and yet, we can't get the teachings of this religions right.

To the topic, until Nigerians realise that Man is a representative and an image of GOD and, work as a true representative or an image of GOD then, there will continuously be load of prayers that will seems not to be answered.

(1) (Reply)

Can Someone Link Me Up With Dokubo and Gani Adams / How Will You "celebrate" October 1st? / Cracker In Ogun State: Demeji Bankole Vs Gbenga Deniel Of Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.