Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally (1330 Views)

El-Rufai Receives The Obi Of Onitsha In Kaduna State House (Photos) / Obi Of Onitsha Condemns Pro-Biafra Agitators / Bring Your Investments Home – Obi Of Onitsha Charges Ndigbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by awodman: 8:07am On Oct 21, 2013
Ime Obi Onitsha, the Kingdom’s traditional council, has
said contrary to some reports, the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe
Alfred Achebe, did not approve the rally by the
gubernatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress
(APC), Senator Chris Ngige, which was held in Onitsha on
October 8, the same day as the annual Ofala festival.

The council therefore dismissed the claims made by Ngige and one of his aides, Hon Uche Okonkwo-Okom, as false.

A statement by the traditional council observed that “the
Traditional Council and the Monarch of Onitsha, as a policy,always studiously steer clear of any involvement in partisan politics. "That notwithstanding, after due reflection, the council considers it necessary to correct the persistent misrepresentation of our highly principled and respected monarch, resulting from the privileged access that he granted Okonkwo-Okom, as a deliberate effort to portray our monarch as unreliable,” the statement stated.

The council also bemoaned the manipulation of the APC
stalwarts in the state as a result of their privileged access
to the traditional council of Onitsha.

The statement signed by notable chiefs led by Chief Chike Ofodile (SAN), the Onowu Iyasele of Onitsha, clarified the sequence of events leading up to the purported approval by Ngige. It said Ngige had through Okonkwo-Okom, informed His Majesty via a text message of his intention to attend the Ofala festival in company of some serving governors and requested for His Majesty’s prior consent and protocol accommodation in the programme of the day.

The council explained that His Majesty responded through another text message saying: “He, Ngige, and the governors are very welcome. To ensure proper protocol,advised the number of them coming and names, if possible. I’ll emerge at 2 p.m. and all should be seated by then. Ofala Onitsha is a cultural event and not for politics. I look to seeing you there personally."

“In all the SMS exchanges, there was never any mention of a political rally. Thus, the claim by the party that approval for it was granted by our monarch or the palace is a mere ruse. No approval for political rally was sought and none was granted.”

“Their intention was very manipulative and irreverent of
the culture and tradition of his people and therefore
unacceptable. Our monarch further told Hon Okonkwo-
Okom that it would be best, in the circumstance, for the
APC chieftains not to appear at the festival to avoid an
explosion of the anger of his people.”

“Our people believe strongly in the plural democratic
traditions of the country. Thus, we respect the
constitutional rights of every political party to pursue its
objectives. Indeed, our indigenes enjoy diverse political
affiliations, including membership of the APC,” the
statement stated.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/obi-of-onitsha-i-didn-t-approve-apc-rally/162238/
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by Chino72: 9:58am On Oct 21, 2013
grin

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 21, 2013
And who is Obi of Onitsha to approve political rallies? What positive impact does the Onitsha traditional institution have on Anambra governance? So he did not approve it, and so what. Nooonsenseundecided

5 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by slimghost(m): 10:26am On Oct 21, 2013
Ngige has lost the plot! I wish him goodluck though.

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by pokur: 10:27am On Oct 21, 2013
Of course,we knew then that Ngige lied.His explanation then wasn't even coherent.
This goes to show what regard he has for our culture n institutions.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by IGBOSON1: 10:44am On Oct 21, 2013
It's clear where his loyalty lies! He should learn a thing or two from Queen Elizabeth and rise above partisan politics......supporting no candidate during the campaign period!

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by mike404(m): 10:50am On Oct 21, 2013
Idi Amin: And who is Obi of Onitsha to approve political rallies? What positive impact does the Onitsha traditional institution have on Anambra governance? So he did not approve it, and so what. Nooonsenseundecided
HEHE gringringrin YOU DON DEY PEE FOR YOUR PANT AGAIN =))
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:58am On Oct 21, 2013
Obi of onitcha ko, jaja of opobo ni? undecided

These people can overrate themselves sha! undecided

1 Like

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by Desola(f): 11:09am On Oct 21, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Obi of onitcha ko, jaja of opobo ni? undecided

These people can overrate themselves sha! undecided

Lol grin
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by kross01(m): 11:33am On Oct 21, 2013
IGBO-SON:
It's clear where his loyalty lies! He should learn a thing or two from Queen Elizabeth and rise above partisan politics......supporting no candidate during the campaign period!
and please how has he demonstrated his partisanship? by not allowing ngige play politics with the age long tradition of his peoole? y dont you go hold a political rally at buckingham on a day the queen is celebrating the english crown

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by donphilopus: 11:36am On Oct 21, 2013
The Obi has just fabricated some things..
Why did he not release an official statement when were told he has finally approved the Rally to claim it was a fabricated Issue??

Now, he invited his special adviser on story telling to frame a lie just to defend himself..
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 21, 2013
Can we compare the obi of onitsha with oba of benin, oni of ife, alaafin of oyo, sultan of sokoto?

i think his mates are the Baales in yorubaland.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by touch4mony: 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2013
Idi Amin: And who is Obi of Onitsha to approve political rallies? What positive impact does the Onitsha traditional institution have on Anambra governance? So he did not approve it, and so what. Nooonsenseundecided
your kind of person have no respect for traditional institution and i dont think u have a village or u go to village at all but i dont blame u but ur perants,if obi of onitsha is nobody ngige and his apc will not b having sleepless nite over this issue.i knw ppl like u will ask who is oba of benin and who is sultan of sokoto or Tor Tiv or emir of gwadom.kindly ask the ppl that gave birth to u the meaning of traditional institution after then u will understand or knw who obi of onitsha is

3 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by Aedesmuskeeto: 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
This onitcha of obi of a Dude is really feeling himself..

*no disrespect intended*...
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by slimghost(m): 1:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
kross_01:
and please how has he demonstrated his partisanship? by not allowing ngige play politics with the age long tradition of his peoole? y dont you go hold a political rally at buckingham on a day the queen is celebrating the english crown

You should not have replied that clown. seriously.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by cocoduck: 1:57pm On Oct 21, 2013
Apc winning in ANB state will be miraculous
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by aj1802001: 3:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
Segeggs: Can we compare the obi of onitsha with oba of benin, oni of ife, alaafin of oyo, sultan of sokoto?

i think his mates are the Baales in yorubaland.
I believe you must be high on something cheap.
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by slimghost(m): 4:14pm On Oct 21, 2013
aj1802001: I believe you must be high on something cheap.

Do you mean he is high on the wrong kind of soup? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by cjrane: 5:51pm On Oct 21, 2013
Does APC care about any Igbo leader or traditional institution?

Ofcourse Ngige and Tinubu will be laughing their arse off by now!

But if Ooni of Ife gives the same directive in Ife,If Ngige laughs, Tinubu will slap him for disrespecting the traditional father.

Tells you about who wants to deliver Igbos to those who wish to enslave them as second or perhaps third class citizens in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Obi Of Onitsha: I Didn't Approve Apc's Rally by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2013
Since when did ibo start having kings dat this one is trying to be relevant? undecided

(1) (Reply)

The Federal Government Today Flagged Off The Reconstruction Of Portharcourt Enug / Peter Obi Flags Off The Distribution Of Textbooks To All Schools(pictures) / Nairaland Now Getting Better Than Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.