Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

The Attitude Of A Jobseeker - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Attitude Of A Jobseeker (610 Views)

With The High Rate Of Unemployment In Nigeria, How Many Jobseeker Would Do This? / What You Should Not Include In Your CV As A JOBSEEKER !! - #cvbranding / 6 Reasons Every Jobseeker And New Graduates Should Volunteer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Attitude Of A Jobseeker by DreamJobChannel: 10:29am On Oct 21, 2013
The major characteristic traits of a jobseeker are as follows;
-Desperation: A need to quickly come out of your present problems
-Vulnerability: Prone to exploitation
-Lack of self esteem and personal value
-Shabby presentation and appearance
-Test bound: See tests as the only way to get a good job
-Narrowing niches: Limiting options towards certain job areas or niches
-Stop learning: Mentally rusty. Learn nothing new
-Credential freaks: Focusing on your credentials instead of your knowledge and skill
-Idleness: You do nothing until that golden job appears
-Poor expression: Poor articulation, both written and verbal
-Generic: No special distinguishing qualities from the others. Nothing to offer
-Hubris: Me, a graduate? No, I’m too big for this job!
-Others

Now, if you find yourself facing some of the challenges mentioned in the jobseeker’s profile, then to some degree you will find yourself exhibiting some of these characteristic traits which I call the attitude of a jobseeker. These predictable traits will drastically affect your way of thinking, as well as your behavior when you approach prospective employers.

I have personally conducted over a hundred interviews within a span of three years, and I still conduct such interviews when we need a new staff to fill a role in my organization. Sometimes I find people who are qualified but we cannot accept due to certain reasons like the applicant coming in on the wrong time, and I recommend them to my friends and clients who tell me they need somebody to work. They have not disappointed me.

These traits usually plague a lot of applicants up to the point where they are no longer conscious that it has eaten into their attitude in life. I will like to point out that one of the most important things that most employers (or HR personnel) seek or look out for is a positive attitude, a strong sense of resourcefulness, and a sense of honesty and integrity. If you lack any of these key factors, no matter how you prepare, they will come back to haunt you within the next couple of minutes into the interview.

If you have an open mind and be yourself, and if you work on yourself by eliminating some of the attitude listed above, then your prospective employer will see you for who you really are. Some of these characteristic traits are mostly caused by external circumstances-without control, while some are internal- within control. Either way, the odds can be improved. Who knows? You may find that you have a great business idea, and tweaking up your skill will put you on a great business advantage, and you’ll end up becoming an employer of labour!

From my own experience, I have noticed that following a list of y things is one of the hardest things to do. As a result, I will be explaining them in details so you can see the implications and realities behind these attitudes. What I intend to do is cast a beam of light along this dark street, and you will have to walk through by finding out what works for you.

One thing I’ll also like to note is that some of these traits can be a hidden reflection of other visible ones. So, in overcoming one, you may find that you have eliminated the other. The good news is that this will not only help you in increasing your chances of getting a job, it will create a positive ripple effect even in your life. You may already have a job and you need to get a better one. A general positive attitude towards life is far better than a negative one. And you must have heard that a good positive attitude attracts the best things to us. So why not try it?

Source:
http://dreamjobchannel.com/dreamjob/the-attitude-of-a-jobseeker/#more-278
Re: The Attitude Of A Jobseeker by Gentlelad: 11:19am On Oct 21, 2013

(1) (Reply)

A Thread For Soil Science And Land Management Students. / Advice A Brother On How To Cope In His New And First Place Of Work..... / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.