Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife (19964 Views)

No More Witches In Ile-Ife - Ooni Of Ife / Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor / A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Larooye: 2:55pm On Jan 24, 2018
@Olu317

Spam bot nor let me rest, its noose is tight around my posts. I had to break everything into bits before finally giving up.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 8:07pm On Jan 24, 2018
OrisaEsu:
Olu317

In Ife piror to this, the Ooni’s balls were in the hands of the Ogboni. Read Leo Frobenius’ journal during his visit to Ife for insight. Read up on Oyo, Ibadan & Ijebu pre-colonial history too, to have an idea of how much Ogboni controlled the king & the state.

Kings may have some type of power since 1914 till today but they are floor menbers of Ogboni. The Kings treat Oluwo, Lisa, Apena, Iya Abiye & co as royalties. Kings do not head any Ogboni.

I am sharing this from the position of an ‘insider’.
You are sharing this from the position of an insider? Ok dear, I can see your position. If Ogboni hold sway over the King , then there is no reason to engage you but I will do it slightly . One of the greatest mistake on NL is the assumption and wrong information being dispense . Quickly ,let me emphasis here that Oyo was the only place in the ancient time that Ogboni could really frustrate the king . In ILE IFE, to be an oooni in the ancient time,you must be vast spiritually. I am sure ,you know what Ayajo, Ogèdè and Ofo .Again, Osanyi's knowledge comes to my mind,which is attached to knowing herbs while seeing vision is also a great gift that Ooni did had. Likewise some ancient Obas. The places you mentioned had slight differences as it regard powers bestowed upon Ogboni within her domain. Being an Ogboni had and still has no connection to one's spiritual prowess. It is what you come with ,that gives you an edge over other members. I DIDNT MENTION OSUGBO . I AM SURE YOU KNOW OTHER GROUPS TOO.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Larooye: 8:55pm On Jan 24, 2018
Olu317:
You are sharing this from the position of an insider? Ok dear, I can see your position. If Ogboni hold sway over the King , then there is no reason to engage you but I will do it slightly . One of the greatest mistake on NL is the assumption and wrong information being dispense . Quickly ,let me emphasis here that Oyo was the only place in the ancient time that Ogboni could really frustrate the king . In ILE IFE, to be an oooni in the ancient time,you must be vast spiritually. I am sure ,you know what Ayajo, Ogèdè and Ofo .Again, Osanyi's knowledge comes to my mind,which is attached to knowing herbs while seeing vision is also a great gift that Ooni did had. Likewise some ancient Obas. The places you mentioned had slight differences as it regard powers bestowed upon Ogboni within her domain. Being an Ogboni had and still has no connection to one's spiritual prowess. It is what you come with ,that gives you an edge over other members. I DIDNT MENTION OSUGBO . I AM SURE YOU KNOW OTHER GROUPS TOO.

If it is the same Ile-Ife that I am from, then as a son of 3 major compounds in Ife I can authoritatively tell you the emboldened is wrong.

An Ooni only become vastly spiritual AFTER becoming an Ooni and you derive this spirituality from Ogboni Obatala, Are, Ogboni Iledi Ooni and each temple of the 201 deities in Ile-Ife.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by macof(m): 10:14pm On Jan 24, 2018
Larooye:

If it is the same Ile-Ife that I am from, then as a son of 3 major compounds in Ife I can authoritatively tell you the emboldened is wrong.

An Ooni only become vastly spiritual AFTER becoming an Ooni and you derive this spirituality from Ogboni Obatala, Are, Ogboni Iledi Ooni and each temple of the 201 deities in Ile-Ife.

That applies in every Yoruba kingdom to every Oba

Well, one can argue there is little to nothing "vastly spiritual" anymore...coronations are even rushed now

1 Like

Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Larooye: 11:58pm On Jan 24, 2018
macof:

That applies in every Yoruba kingdom to every Oba

Well, one can argue there is little to nothing "vastly spiritual" anymore...coronations are even rushed now

The is right though but I hope you meant in the context of the 8 original kingdoms.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 7:25am On Jan 25, 2018
Larooye:

OMG! Was Lafogido spiritually sound after he became Ooni? If your assertion is correct ,how did Oranmiyan became Ooni? How did Lajamisan cornered the kingship only to his descendants? Do you know the story of Ooni Ogbooru?Did Derin Olongbenla became spiritually strong after he became Ooni? Naturally, not Ooni descendant can become Ooni,do you not know why?. Tell your informant that you saw someone that informed you that each ooni to be must have a spiritual gift. And one's he become the Ooni,he transform to a replica deity of his ancestor known as Odua/Adimunia/Adimula . And the method of chosen was divne . Am sure you know the last part as it conern divine.

Lastly ,I wont go further than this. cool
Larooye:

OMG! Was Lafogido spiritually sound after he became Ooni? If your assertion is correct ,how did Oranmiyan became Ooni? How did Lajamisan cornered the kingship only to his descendants? Do you know the story of Ooni Ogbooru?Did Derin Olongbenla became spiritually strong after he became Ooni? Naturally, not Ooni descendant can become Ooni,do you not know why?. Tell your informant that you saw someone that informed you that each ooni to be must have a spiritual gift. And one's he become the Ooni,he transform to a replica deity of his ancestor known as Odua/Adimunia/Adimula . And the method of chosen was divne . Am sure you know the last part as it concern divine.

Lastly ,I wont go further than this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Larooye: 11:28am On Jan 25, 2018
Olu317:
OMG! Was Lafogido spiritually sound after he became Ooni? If your assertion is correct ,how did Oranmiyan became Ooni? How did Lajamisan cornered the kingship only to his descendants? Do you know the story of Ooni Ogbooru?Did Derin Olongbenla became spiritually strong after he became Ooni? Naturally, not Ooni descendant can become Ooni,do you not know why?. Tell your informant that you saw someone that informed you that each ooni to be must have a spiritual gift. And one's he become the Ooni,he transform to a replica deity of his ancestor known as Odua/Adimunia/Adimula . And the method of chosen was divne . Am sure you know the last part as it conern divine.

Lastly ,I wont go further than this. coolOMG! Was Lafogido spiritually sound after he became Ooni? If your assertion is correct ,how did Oranmiyan became Ooni? How did Lajamisan cornered the kingship only to his descendants? Do you know the story of Ooni Ogbooru?Did Derin Olongbenla became spiritually strong after he became Ooni? Naturally, not Ooni descendant can become Ooni,do you not know why?. Tell your informant that you saw someone that informed you that each ooni to be must have a spiritual gift. And one's he become the Ooni,he transform to a replica deity of his ancestor known as Odua/Adimunia/Adimula . And the method of chosen was divne . Am sure you know the last part as it concern divine.

Lastly ,I wont go further than this.

LOL, I thought you came up with this yourself but it is starting to look like someone gave you this narratives because these conjectures are way below your intelligence. I hate to be the beater of bad news but whomever told you these thing sold you a dummy cheesy

I should not speak on Ooniship in public.

It is interesting that you think you know the facts about my hometown better than I. A place where I was born and raised from 3 families in the centre of the socio-political and socio-cultural history and system in Ife.

grin

1 Like

Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 12:59pm On Jan 25, 2018
Larooye:

LOL, I thought you came up with this yourself but it is starting to look like someone gave you this narratives because these conjectures are way below your intelligence. I hate to be the beater of bad news but whomever told you these thing sold you a dummy cheesy

I should not speak on Ooniship in public.

It is interesting that you think you know the facts about my hometown better than I. A place where I was born and raised from 3 families in the centre of the socio-political and socio-cultural history and system in Ife.

grin
Enjoy yourself online with the lies that many before you had spread about Ooni. You are the one that need to seek such true knowledge.Do you know how many lies that had been told ? What you think you know is not known to you and what you know is known to you and is extremely small.And until you take the right path to seek true knowledge from the right source. Whatever is sold to you today differ from the true means of how Ooni emerged in the past. You claimed you were born in Ile ife and from three compound . That is a great thing to known .Well, I am a descendant of Lafogido ancestors lineage . The descendant of Luusi/ Olusi and the great grandson of Ajamaiye/ Ajalaiye. Go and ask your elders who these men were. How do you relate with that ?
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Larooye: 3:16pm On Jan 25, 2018
Olu317:
Enjoy yourself online with the lies that many before you had spread about Ooni. You are the one that need to seek such true knowledge.Do you know how many lies that had been told ? What you think you know is not known to you and what you know is not known to you is extremely small.And until you take the right path to seek true knowledge from the right source. Whatever is sold to you today differ from the true means of how Ooni emerged in the past. You claimed you were born in Ile ife and from three compound . That is a great thing to known .Well, I am descendant of Lafogido . The descendant of Luusi/ Olusi and the great grandson of Ajamaiye/ Ajalaiye. Go and ask your elders who these men were. How do you relate with that ?

No shakes.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Syogbe(m): 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2018
I asked the question about Iranje. I have an idea that there is place called Iranje in Ile ife but some people are trying to relate it to Ilaje because the the Ugbo is in Ilaje currently so I want to be very sure. Eni ti abi ni Ugbo to lo joba lode Iranje. It is clear from your explanation of Igbo Ugbo.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by notasked: 10:45am On Mar 07, 2020
OLUGBO, THE FIRST LORD IN YORUBALAND!

The authentic history of ancient Ile-Ife cannot be distorted; the Tree of Brotherhood does not break. It may bend a while but it will eventually straighten out, so is truth!

The term Ife Oodaye, Ife Ooye, Ugbomokun and Ile Ife all point to the same historical location but different era. Oranfe Alafere, was greatly revered and mystified as the 201st of the 201 gods/deities (Oba Igba Imole) of ancient Ile Ife. Hewas the father of Osangangan Obamakin. Oranfe was the first person to emit naked fire from his mouth at his own will in Yoruba history. Also, he was the custodian of Thunder(Ara) and Sanponna (Olode). All these powers and many more were bequited to Osangangan Obamakin who wore the aboriginal crown of Ile Ife.

Before the advent of Oduduwa to ancient Ile Ife, called Ugbomokun, Ile-Ife existed as a confederacy of sixteen communities. Thirteen of these communities have been identified in present day Ile-Ife: Iwinrin, Ideta, Ido, Iloran, Iloromu, Imojubi, Iraye, Ijugbe, Odin, Oke-Oja, Oke-Awo, Omologun and Parakin. Osangangan Obamakin ruled from Iwinrin, Obatala ruled from Ideta, Olojudo ruled from Ido etc. These Kings also had their cabinet of Chiefs and were the Sixteen Elders who held the spiritual foundation upon which Yoruba land is laid.

Each of these Kings wore beaded crowns. Osangangan Obamakin, the son of Oranfe who ruled from Iwinrin led the Sixteen communities which flourished and had an established system of culture, justice, commerce, agriculture etc.

When Oduduwa came in from the Eastern parts of Ile Ife, through Oke Ora, which many academic historians mistook to mean from the Middle East, he was taken to Ilero, which is unanimously adjudged by the elders of Ile Ife today as the OLDEST ASSEMBLY IN YORUBA LAND, ILE OGBONI AKOKO.

It is also of interest that Ilero is preserved till today, along Iremo road, in Ile Ife, and the aboriginal language spoken at that time was called Ikedu, which bears 90% similarity as present day Ilaje Ugbo dialect of Yoruba as established by linguistic historians.

It was at Ilero that Osangangan Obamakin, the son of Oranfe, the aboriginal King of ancient Ile Ife, otherwise called, Ugbomokun presided over the affairs of ancient Ile Ife. Osangangan Obamakin had three wives. His first wife, Yeyemoolu turned to the pool of water in the Palace of Ife today, which every Ooni must be betrothed/married to (culture) as a significant part of the blessings of Osangangan Obamakin for Ile-Ife and prosperity within the Palace. Traditionally, up till this day, Yeye moolu remains the first wife in the Palace of Ile Ife till this day. Osangangan Obamakin also had siblings, and among them is Baba Sigidi in Oke-Jan, Ile Ife.

As stated earlier, the leaders of the communities were independent Kings who wore beaded crowns and they all gathered at Ilero to discuss cogent matters that involved the communities, consult Ifa oracle and Osanyin for peaceful administration, perform rituals and sacrifices as well as execution of justice when necessary.

The quarters of Osangangan Obamakin still exist today in Ile Ife with the aboriginal kith and kin still holding principal roles in the affairs of Ile Ife with other aborigines. Osangangan Obamakin was powerful and worshipped as the god-king of Ife. He was usually praised as:

Kutukutu Oba Ugbo

Osangangan Obamakin

Agbegun Kari

Ife Gbe Gangan Saya

Taataa Eye Ugbo

Alade Oriigi

At the advent of Oduduwa, there was an established display of love from Osangangan Obamakin to Oduduwa. Oduduwa possessed great virtues and was vast in the use of herbs for treatment of all ailments. He was particularly successful at ensuring that pregnant women delivered safely. Indeed, Oduduwa had unfettered access to Ilero and envy began to rouse when many communities wondered at the manner in which Oduduwa was integrated into Ugbomokun, and his influence rose quite considerably.

Problems started after certain rulers began to complain about how favourably disposed Osangangan Obamakin was to Oduduwa despite Oduduwa being a stranger, so called. It is founded in history that it took Oduduwa about 16 years to be adept in Ikedu which was the aboriginal language spoken at that time. Oduduwa was generally accepted; he flourished and was a phenomenon to many.

Then, Oduduwa desired to usurp power.

Nevertheless, trouble broke out when a struggle for supremacy ensued between Oduduwa and Obatala Oseremagbo, who at that time was King of Ideta community. No settlement/town or city would solely hand their sovereignty to a stranger/migrant without some sort of stiff opposition if not an outright war.

The contest was so fierce that Ugbomokun was polarised into war blocs. Obatala-Obalejugbe-Obawinrin Bloc and Oduduwa-Obameri bloc. Some rulers supported Oduduwa while some supported Obatala. Soon enough, more rulers joined blocs and a war broke out.

Oduduwa defeated Obatala (did not kill Obatala as some have wrongly put it) but ousted Obatala and occupied Ideta. Obatala was forced from Ideta-Ile to Ideta-Oko and eventually he took refuge in Iwinrin, the ancestral home of Osangangan Obamakin, the Paramount King of all the communities.

At this instant, Ugbomokun was divided and so many warriors gathered at Igbo Ugbo, at the outskirts of present Ife to launch an attack against Oduduwa, his allies and their quarters. This was because of Oduduwa's insistence to hold on to Ideta after Osangangan Obamakin had waded into the matter and sent a decree for the release of Ideta to Obatala Oseremagbo, Alamo rere. The refusal of Oduduwa to stop his occupation of Ideta where Obatala was ruler, made the whole scenario aggravate beyond measure. Ile-Ife became completely polarised and communities prepared for War. Some communities for Obatala and some for Oduduwa.

While the rancorwas on, final onslaught was declared and all warriors gathered at Igbo Ugbo to launch an attack against the Oduduwa bloc. They decided to consult Ifa Oracle and Osanyin as it was customary. Ifa, the divinity of wisdom must speak before anything could be done. The intended war was never to be, because at Igbo Ugbo, where the warriors gathered, Ifa forbade that Ile-Ife be destroyed or blood be shed, rather, Ifa commanded that the warriors should leave Ile Ife, despite being aborigines and original settlers of Ile Ife, to found a new Kingdom, where Osangangan Obamakin would find what his descendants would feed on till the end of days. In the Ifa corpus, Odu Ifa:

“Ifa ni ki Osangangan Obamakin gbera lo si Ile tio je wipe ti o bagbin eso, Omi konii je kio wu.

Amo, yi o ba oun ti aromodomo re yi o je”.

It was devastating for the warriors who were ready for War. Many warriors committed suicide at the disappointing divination and some turned to trees, boulders and rocks, streams etc. Baba Sigidi turned himself to a Boulder and his image is still been seen in Ile Ife today, off Iremo road, and is a tourist site. It is said that during the annual traditional bathe of Baba Sigidi, the boulder’s heart still beats.

Osangangan Obamakin and indeed Ugbo were never defeated because there was actually no war between Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa because of the divination from Ifa and Osanyin, and the truthful elders of Ile Ife today, will also attest to the fact that Obatala was not killed by Oduduwa but returned to Ideta after the mass migration from Ile Ife until a truce was reached, and Obatala was appeased till date.

This is to let us into a bit of the spiritual power play that occurred, and still reverberate till today in Ile Ife. Nevertheless, the bond between the house of Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa was not broken, and till today, every King who is a true descendant of both scions share the deepest secrets and mutual respect and love exclusive only to them.

Up until today, the descendant of Osangangan Obamakin, and all aborigines perform various roles for the development and peace of Ile Ife so much so that the consultations of Ifa oracle for the choice of who becomes an Ooni must be done in Ilero, the ancient palace of Osangangan Obamakin in present day Ile Ife.

All the aboriginal communities are active in the administration of present day Ile-Ife. For example, the Are crown for a new Ooni must be received on the hills of the sacred forest and prepared by the Olojudo (their descendants), after which Obalufon (their descendants), the last son of Osangangan Obamakin, must wear the crown for 3 consecutive days to bless it on behalf of his father. Afterwards, the crown will proceed to Obatala groove where the Obalesun must pick the Ase and proclaim Peace on the Crown before any Ooni can be adorned in the Are, and not until certain rituals are performed in the most sacred part of the Palace of present day Ile-Ife called Ile-Ugbo.

After the Migration of Osangangan Obamakin to found present day, Ilaje, the bond between the house of Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa remained unbroken, and of historical significance is the bond between Obalufon and Oranmiyan so much so that after Oranmiyan left Benin to found the great Oyo empire, Oba Eweka/Owomika and subsequent Obas of Benin visited the Olugbo in Ode Ugbo. It is established in history that some Benin Monarchs in ancient times were raised and fortified in Ode-Ugbo, as an offshoot of the relationship between Obalufon and Oranmiyan. High Chief Osayomwabo O. Ero in his book titled The Benin Monarchy and Ogiamien Connection, The Historical Facts page 121, established that Prince Efabo, the son of Oba Ehenmihen who later became Oba Ewedo was born and raised in Ode-Ugbo an Ilaje town in present day Ondo State.

The ancient markets in Ile Ife, Oja Ife and Oja Aiyegbaju were founded by Oranfe and Osangangan Obamakin, and the worship of Aje Diety to which every Ooni must pay obeisance during the annual Olojo festival is undertaken by Obawinrin, Woyeasiri and other aborigines who are the kith and kin of the Olugbo in Ile Ife today.

The UgboIlaje arethe original settlers of ancient Ile-Ife as corroborated by the highly knowledgeable and greatly revered Monarch of Oyo Empire, His Imperial Majesty, Iku Baba Yeye, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, CFR, Alaafin of Oyo as well as the highly revered and vast Monarch of Benin Kingdom who joined his ancestors recently, His Royal Majesty, Omonoba Erediauwa in his book, “I remain sir, your obedient servant”.

Oyo Kingdom, Benin Kingdom and Ugbo Kingdom are inseparable because of their roots in Ile-Ife. So also, is the mutuality between the Royal Houses of Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa.

Up until today, the descendants of Osangangan Obamakin and the aborigines are the ones who place the Are crown on every Ooni and perform the rites necessary for peace, wellness and safety in Ile Ife.

Professors Anthony Asiwaju and Olomola also lent credence to the fact that the Ugbo of Coastal Yoruba land areNOT the Igbo of South East, Nigeria occupied Ile-Ife.

In furtherance, Kabiyesi Alayeluwa, Iku Baba Yeye, Omo Iku Ti Iku Ko Gbodo Pa, the Living Spirit of Oranmiyan, said and I quote, "the forefathers of the Olugbo are the aborigines and original settlers of Ile-Ife"

According to Chief (Dr.) M.A. Fabunmi in his book, Ife: The Genesis of Yoruba Race, 1985, he made references to the assertion of Ife Ooye Progressives with membership consisting prominent Ife indigenes like Chief Abdulrahman Ademola Aromolaran, Engr. Ishola Awoterebo (former Minister of Water Resources), Chief Jide Elugbaju and many others who claim that Ile Ife existed in communities Pre-Oduduwa, and they are aborigines in Ile-Ife.

More so, Archeological Survey conducted by Chief (Dr.) Omotosho Eluyemi and certified by the International Body of Archeology established 13 Pre-Oduduwa communities.

Dr. Moses Adetunmbi further ascerted in his Book, with a foreword written by His Royal Majesty, Oba Sijuwade, Olubuse II, who has left us to join his ancestors, that Ile-Ife existed as 13 aboriginal communities before the advent of Oduduwa, and Oduduwa met a thriving system. Ile-Ife has been structured from the outset and Oduduwa had maintained the structure after the Truce which was significantly orchestrated by Ifa and Osanyin

The complete works of German Professor Leo Frobeneus, Herodotus (the father of history), Professors J.A Atanda, I.AAkinjogbin, A.F.C. Ryder, T. Falola, Akin Alao, Ogen Olukoya, M.A. Fabunmi, R.O. Ajetumobi, Olupona, A. Adetugbo as well as Dr. Ikuejube, Chief B Eweka, J. Egharevba are just a miniature in the volume of academic references of the Ugbohegemony and framework in Ile-Ife.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2020
Why do you guys always feel like adding Benin in your ife madness ?

Please let Benin be, we have nothing to do with ife or your imaginary oduduwa the guy who parachutes from the sky with an iron chain.

And for your information, it is Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo.

Also, oyo was not an empire, nobody originated from ife.

Enough, leave us Edo out of your madness, please.
notasked:
OLUGBO, THE FIRST LORD IN YORUBALAND!

The authentic history of ancient Ile-Ife cannot be distorted; the Tree of Brotherhood does not break. It may bend a while but it will eventually straighten out, so is truth!

The term Ife Oodaye, Ife Ooye, Ugbomokun and Ile Ife all point to the same historical location but different era. Oranfe Alafere, was greatly revered and mystified as the 201st of the 201 gods/deities (Oba Igba Imole) of ancient Ile Ife. Hewas the father of Osangangan Obamakin. Oranfe was the first person to emit naked fire from his mouth at his own will in Yoruba history. Also, he was the custodian of Thunder(Ara) and Sanponna (Olode). All these powers and many more were bequited to Osangangan Obamakin who wore the aboriginal crown of Ile Ife.

Before the advent of Oduduwa to ancient Ile Ife, called Ugbomokun, Ile-Ife existed as a confederacy of sixteen communities. Thirteen of these communities have been identified in present day Ile-Ife: Iwinrin, Ideta, Ido, Iloran, Iloromu, Imojubi, Iraye, Ijugbe, Odin, Oke-Oja, Oke-Awo, Omologun and Parakin. Osangangan Obamakin ruled from Iwinrin, Obatala ruled from Ideta, Olojudo ruled from Ido etc. These Kings also had their cabinet of Chiefs and were the Sixteen Elders who held the spiritual foundation upon which Yoruba land is laid.

Each of these Kings wore beaded crowns. Osangangan Obamakin, the son of Oranfe who ruled from Iwinrin led the Sixteen communities which flourished and had an established system of culture, justice, commerce, agriculture etc.

When Oduduwa came in from the Eastern parts of Ile Ife, through Oke Ora, which many academic historians mistook to mean from the Middle East, he was taken to Ilero, which is unanimously adjudged by the elders of Ile Ife today as the OLDEST ASSEMBLY IN YORUBA LAND, ILE OGBONI AKOKO.

It is also of interest that Ilero is preserved till today, along Iremo road, in Ile Ife, and the aboriginal language spoken at that time was called Ikedu, which bears 90% similarity as present day Ilaje Ugbo dialect of Yoruba as established by linguistic historians.

It was at Ilero that Osangangan Obamakin, the son of Oranfe, the aboriginal King of ancient Ile Ife, otherwise called, Ugbomokun presided over the affairs of ancient Ile Ife. Osangangan Obamakin had three wives. His first wife, Yeyemoolu turned to the pool of water in the Palace of Ife today, which every Ooni must be betrothed/married to (culture) as a significant part of the blessings of Osangangan Obamakin for Ile-Ife and prosperity within the Palace. Traditionally, up till this day, Yeye moolu remains the first wife in the Palace of Ile Ife till this day. Osangangan Obamakin also had siblings, and among them is Baba Sigidi in Oke-Jan, Ile Ife.

As stated earlier, the leaders of the communities were independent Kings who wore beaded crowns and they all gathered at Ilero to discuss cogent matters that involved the communities, consult Ifa oracle and Osanyin for peaceful administration, perform rituals and sacrifices as well as execution of justice when necessary.

The quarters of Osangangan Obamakin still exist today in Ile Ife with the aboriginal kith and kin still holding principal roles in the affairs of Ile Ife with other aborigines. Osangangan Obamakin was powerful and worshipped as the god-king of Ife. He was usually praised as:

Kutukutu Oba Ugbo

Osangangan Obamakin

Agbegun Kari

Ife Gbe Gangan Saya

Taataa Eye Ugbo

Alade Oriigi

At the advent of Oduduwa, there was an established display of love from Osangangan Obamakin to Oduduwa. Oduduwa possessed great virtues and was vast in the use of herbs for treatment of all ailments. He was particularly successful at ensuring that pregnant women delivered safely. Indeed, Oduduwa had unfettered access to Ilero and envy began to rouse when many communities wondered at the manner in which Oduduwa was integrated into Ugbomokun, and his influence rose quite considerably.

Problems started after certain rulers began to complain about how favourably disposed Osangangan Obamakin was to Oduduwa despite Oduduwa being a stranger, so called. It is founded in history that it took Oduduwa about 16 years to be adept in Ikedu which was the aboriginal language spoken at that time. Oduduwa was generally accepted; he flourished and was a phenomenon to many.

Then, Oduduwa desired to usurp power.

Nevertheless, trouble broke out when a struggle for supremacy ensued between Oduduwa and Obatala Oseremagbo, who at that time was King of Ideta community. No settlement/town or city would solely hand their sovereignty to a stranger/migrant without some sort of stiff opposition if not an outright war.

The contest was so fierce that Ugbomokun was polarised into war blocs. Obatala-Obalejugbe-Obawinrin Bloc and Oduduwa-Obameri bloc. Some rulers supported Oduduwa while some supported Obatala. Soon enough, more rulers joined blocs and a war broke out.

Oduduwa defeated Obatala (did not kill Obatala as some have wrongly put it) but ousted Obatala and occupied Ideta. Obatala was forced from Ideta-Ile to Ideta-Oko and eventually he took refuge in Iwinrin, the ancestral home of Osangangan Obamakin, the Paramount King of all the communities.

At this instant, Ugbomokun was divided and so many warriors gathered at Igbo Ugbo, at the outskirts of present Ife to launch an attack against Oduduwa, his allies and their quarters. This was because of Oduduwa's insistence to hold on to Ideta after Osangangan Obamakin had waded into the matter and sent a decree for the release of Ideta to Obatala Oseremagbo, Alamo rere. The refusal of Oduduwa to stop his occupation of Ideta where Obatala was ruler, made the whole scenario aggravate beyond measure. Ile-Ife became completely polarised and communities prepared for War. Some communities for Obatala and some for Oduduwa.

While the rancorwas on, final onslaught was declared and all warriors gathered at Igbo Ugbo to launch an attack against the Oduduwa bloc. They decided to consult Ifa Oracle and Osanyin as it was customary. Ifa, the divinity of wisdom must speak before anything could be done. The intended war was never to be, because at Igbo Ugbo, where the warriors gathered, Ifa forbade that Ile-Ife be destroyed or blood be shed, rather, Ifa commanded that the warriors should leave Ile Ife, despite being aborigines and original settlers of Ile Ife, to found a new Kingdom, where Osangangan Obamakin would find what his descendants would feed on till the end of days. In the Ifa corpus, Odu Ifa:

“Ifa ni ki Osangangan Obamakin gbera lo si Ile tio je wipe ti o bagbin eso, Omi konii je kio wu.

Amo, yi o ba oun ti aromodomo re yi o je”.

It was devastating for the warriors who were ready for War. Many warriors committed suicide at the disappointing divination and some turned to trees, boulders and rocks, streams etc. Baba Sigidi turned himself to a Boulder and his image is still been seen in Ile Ife today, off Iremo road, and is a tourist site. It is said that during the annual traditional bathe of Baba Sigidi, the boulder’s heart still beats.

Osangangan Obamakin and indeed Ugbo were never defeated because there was actually no war between Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa because of the divination from Ifa and Osanyin, and the truthful elders of Ile Ife today, will also attest to the fact that Obatala was not killed by Oduduwa but returned to Ideta after the mass migration from Ile Ife until a truce was reached, and Obatala was appeased till date.

This is to let us into a bit of the spiritual power play that occurred, and still reverberate till today in Ile Ife. Nevertheless, the bond between the house of Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa was not broken, and till today, every King who is a true descendant of both scions share the deepest secrets and mutual respect and love exclusive only to them.

Up until today, the descendant of Osangangan Obamakin, and all aborigines perform various roles for the development and peace of Ile Ife so much so that the consultations of Ifa oracle for the choice of who becomes an Ooni must be done in Ilero, the ancient palace of Osangangan Obamakin in present day Ile Ife.

All the aboriginal communities are active in the administration of present day Ile-Ife. For example, the Are crown for a new Ooni must be received on the hills of the sacred forest and prepared by the Olojudo (their descendants), after which Obalufon (their descendants), the last son of Osangangan Obamakin, must wear the crown for 3 consecutive days to bless it on behalf of his father. Afterwards, the crown will proceed to Obatala groove where the Obalesun must pick the Ase and proclaim Peace on the Crown before any Ooni can be adorned in the Are, and not until certain rituals are performed in the most sacred part of the Palace of present day Ile-Ife called Ile-Ugbo.

After the Migration of Osangangan Obamakin to found present day, Ilaje, the bond between the house of Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa remained unbroken, and of historical significance is the bond between Obalufon and Oranmiyan so much so that after Oranmiyan left Benin to found the great Oyo empire, Oba Eweka/Owomika and subsequent Obas of Benin visited the Olugbo in Ode Ugbo. It is established in history that some Benin Monarchs in ancient times were raised and fortified in Ode-Ugbo, as an offshoot of the relationship between Obalufon and Oranmiyan. High Chief Osayomwabo O. Ero in his book titled The Benin Monarchy and Ogiamien Connection, The Historical Facts page 121, established that Prince Efabo, the son of Oba Ehenmihen who later became Oba Ewedo was born and raised in Ode-Ugbo an Ilaje town in present day Ondo State.

The ancient markets in Ile Ife, Oja Ife and Oja Aiyegbaju were founded by Oranfe and Osangangan Obamakin, and the worship of Aje Diety to which every Ooni must pay obeisance during the annual Olojo festival is undertaken by Obawinrin, Woyeasiri and other aborigines who are the kith and kin of the Olugbo in Ile Ife today.

The UgboIlaje arethe original settlers of ancient Ile-Ife as corroborated by the highly knowledgeable and greatly revered Monarch of Oyo Empire, His Imperial Majesty, Iku Baba Yeye, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, CFR, Alaafin of Oyo as well as the highly revered and vast Monarch of Benin Kingdom who joined his ancestors recently, His Royal Majesty, Omonoba Erediauwa in his book, “I remain sir, your obedient servant”.

Oyo Kingdom, Benin Kingdom and Ugbo Kingdom are inseparable because of their roots in Ile-Ife. So also, is the mutuality between the Royal Houses of Osangangan Obamakin and Oduduwa.

Up until today, the descendants of Osangangan Obamakin and the aborigines are the ones who place the Are crown on every Ooni and perform the rites necessary for peace, wellness and safety in Ile Ife.

Professors Anthony Asiwaju and Olomola also lent credence to the fact that the Ugbo of Coastal Yoruba land areNOT the Igbo of South East, Nigeria occupied Ile-Ife.

In furtherance, Kabiyesi Alayeluwa, Iku Baba Yeye, Omo Iku Ti Iku Ko Gbodo Pa, the Living Spirit of Oranmiyan, said and I quote, "the forefathers of the Olugbo are the aborigines and original settlers of Ile-Ife"

According to Chief (Dr.) M.A. Fabunmi in his book, Ife: The Genesis of Yoruba Race, 1985, he made references to the assertion of Ife Ooye Progressives with membership consisting prominent Ife indigenes like Chief Abdulrahman Ademola Aromolaran, Engr. Ishola Awoterebo (former Minister of Water Resources), Chief Jide Elugbaju and many others who claim that Ile Ife existed in communities Pre-Oduduwa, and they are aborigines in Ile-Ife.

More so, Archeological Survey conducted by Chief (Dr.) Omotosho Eluyemi and certified by the International Body of Archeology established 13 Pre-Oduduwa communities.

Dr. Moses Adetunmbi further ascerted in his Book, with a foreword written by His Royal Majesty, Oba Sijuwade, Olubuse II, who has left us to join his ancestors, that Ile-Ife existed as 13 aboriginal communities before the advent of Oduduwa, and Oduduwa met a thriving system. Ile-Ife has been structured from the outset and Oduduwa had maintained the structure after the Truce which was significantly orchestrated by Ifa and Osanyin

The complete works of German Professor Leo Frobeneus, Herodotus (the father of history), Professors J.A Atanda, I.AAkinjogbin, A.F.C. Ryder, T. Falola, Akin Alao, Ogen Olukoya, M.A. Fabunmi, R.O. Ajetumobi, Olupona, A. Adetugbo as well as Dr. Ikuejube, Chief B Eweka, J. Egharevba are just a miniature in the volume of academic references of the Ugbohegemony and framework in Ile-Ife.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by TAO11(f): 2:51am On Mar 08, 2020
ghostwon:
Why do you guys always feel like adding Benin in your ife madness ?

Please let Beninve, we have nothing to do with ife or your imaginary oduduwa the guy who parachutes from the sky with an iron chain.

And for your information, it is Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo.

Also, oyo was not an empire, nobody originated from ife.

Enough, leave us Edo out of your madness, please.

Hahaha! my slave boy has gone mad again. grin

Prove any of your claims then you shall be taken seriously by humans. cheesy

For now, bark on ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Amujale(m): 3:51am On Mar 09, 2020
macof:

Nice smiley

Oral history does state Obatala to be the last elder man(I won't say ruler or king) of Ife but also states Obatala to be the founder of Ile-Ife and first elder.

Precisely, however the Obatala that found Ife was a God known as Orisa Nla.

Obatala is the personification of the Elder you refer to above.

As in, Gods in heaven called him Orisa Nla and all those that he has a spirited fellowships with are known as Obatala.

Therefore, the Obatala that Oduduwa met at Ife was the embodiment of God, the founder of Ife.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Amujale(m): 4:14am On Mar 09, 2020
Emperor Oduduwa progenitor of civilisations.

Oduduwa is an African God in the secular historical sense.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Amujale(m): 4:18am On Mar 09, 2020
The African Gods are the only true and proper ones.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Amujale(m): 4:27am On Mar 09, 2020
ghostwon:

Please let Benin be, we have nothing to do with ife or your imaginary oduduwa the guy who parachutes from the sky with an iron chain.

Omoluabi is a real historical figure and are ascendant of Oduduwa.

According to history, Emperor Oduduwa is a real historical figure.

Emperor Oduduwa had a powerful message for people, we are better united towards a common purpose.

My brothers and sisters Oduduwa be our uniting factor as was the Emperor's intention.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Amujale(m): 4:50am On Mar 09, 2020
Obatala is one with a pure neutral heart, sublime pureness, virtuousness and wisdom.
Re: Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife by Amujale(m): 4:54am On Mar 09, 2020
Oduduwa brings civility, humility, security, friendship and royalty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Ghetto Names / Akirun Of Ikirun, Abdul-Rauf Adedeji Is Dead / Masquerades Doing The 'Shaku Shaku' Dance In Abeokuta (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.