Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria (3295 Views)

Chilling Confessions Of High-Profile Edo Kidnap Suspects (Pictured) / South West Is Nigeria’s Kidnap Capital- Report / Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by eye4eye: 1:25am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88:

Try this.

http://www.cleen.org/Text%20Report%20of%202013%20NCVS%20Findings.pdf

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by sleekp1: 1:30am On Oct 23, 2013
I can see why this thread won't adorn the front page of Nairaland. The stats here are depressing to a certain region and knowing it was compiled by one of their own makes it even more depressing.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Sloan: 1:30am On Oct 23, 2013
99% of the crimes committed in the SW are certainly by Ibos but we don't need to argue or fight about it. Let us all work hard for regional governments so either can side can mind their business. Personally, I can't wait for everyone to go and mind the business of our peoples.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by DuduNegro: 1:31am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88:

Do you have to hear "there is crime in SW" from the US government before you believe it? The truth is there's crime everywhere. My Anambra isn't on their list either. Doesn't mean I'll roam the place at night or speak for everyone to hear my accent.

There is crime everywhere but the capital of kidnapping is in SS/SE, not SW.

Cleen is run by Nigerians and their input is bias considering their campaign is strategically positioned to gain inroad and win contracts for crime control in Lagos. If they said its SE or SS nobody will pay them attention.. They need relevance and crime fighting is big money in Lagos.....they want some of that contract in their pocket.

Simple!!

4 Likes

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Sloan: 1:39am On Oct 23, 2013
The 5 kidnappers of the wife of the speaker of Osun State are all ibos and they were all convicted for 27 years! The kidnap happened where? In the SW! I am more than confident that the day we get rid of the criminal strangers in our land, we would have solved more than 99% of all insecurity problems! Next, we will have our own regional police who are well able to spot these criminals even before they plan their next criminal act.

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 1:43am On Oct 23, 2013
Dudu_Negro: There is crime everywhere but the capital of kidnapping is in SS/SE, not SW.

Cleen is run by Nigerians and their input is bias considering their campaign is strategically positioned to gain inroad and win contracts for crime control in Lagos. If they said its SE or SS nobody will pay them attention.. They need relevance and crime fighting is big money in Lagos.....they want some of that contract in their pocket.

Simple!!

Let's agree with your statement that SE is the kidnapping capital. Do explain to me how that makes a man or woman in Lagos any safer.

Did you look at the charts or read the research at all?
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Sloan: 1:46am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88: Let's agree with your statement that SE is the kidnapping capital. Do explain to me how that makes a man or woman in Lagos any safer.

I think there is no point for all the back and forth. Whether SE is the kidnapping capital or SW is the kidnapping capital, does that change anything? What we need is change and I can't wait for us and my people to be free from the shackles of having to accommodate strangers in my land! In a nutshell, I can't wait for ibos to leave the SW to their region and we stay in our region too. Then, that will change something and we will not be having these kinds of back and forth.

1 Like

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 23, 2013
Sloan: I think there is no point for all the back and forth. Whether SE is the kidnapping capital or SW is the kidnapping capital, does that change anything? What we need is change and I can't wait for us and my people to be free from the shackles of having to accommodate strangers in my land! In a nutshell, I can't wait for ibos to leave the SW to their region and we stay in our region too. Then, that will change something and we will not be having these kinds of back and forth.

I agree with the bolded. Everyone's house is on fire, meanwhile they're finger-pointing as to who has the biggest flames.

Anyway, the research says the number of those who have experienced crime in Nigeria reduced from 31% to 25%. There's something to celebrate.

2 Likes

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Sloan: 1:58am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88: I agree with the bolded. Everyone's house is on fire, meanwhile they're finger-pointing as to who has the biggest flames.

Anyway, the research says the number of those who have experienced crime in Nigeria reduced from 31% to 25%. There's something to celebrate.

I don't really want to argue this thread, some things are not just worth the argument because tomorrow, it starts all over again, everyone is still in the same messed up situation! Why can't we just go our ways for goodness sake! I have Ibo friends but the thousands who keep destroying the land of my fathers and my inheritance have made me soooooo tired of us letting them stay in our land. I am JUST TIRED of all kinds of argument, even a girlfriend and boyfriend, heck married couples breakup if the problems get TOO MUCH and they can't continue. Luckily, GEJ has provided an avenue for us to take a breather. After a few years of living in our regions, we will be able to know who is responsible for the greater percentage of crimes in Nigeria. Abeg support the conference and I hope this GEJ is serious because I am more than ready to have a better region, hopefully leading to a better country. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by solomon111(m): 3:31am On Oct 23, 2013
Sloan:

I don't really want to argue this thread, some things are not just worth the argument because tomorrow, it starts all over again, everyone is still in the same messed up situation! Why can't we just go our ways for goodness sake! I have Ibo friends but the thousands who keep destroying the land of my fathers and my inheritance have made me soooooo tired of us letting them stay in our land. I am JUST TIRED of all kinds of argument, even a girlfriend and boyfriend, heck married couples breakup if the problems get TOO MUCH and they can't continue. Luckily, GEJ has provided an avenue for us to take a breather. After a few years of living in our regions, we will be able to know who is responsible for the greater percentage of crimes in Nigeria. Abeg support the conference and I hope this GEJ is serious because I am more than ready to have a better region, hopefully leading to a better country. angry angry angry
Look at this mumu deceiving himself.
I won't be surprised if he actually believes this nonsense that he wrote.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by gurnam: 3:36am On Oct 23, 2013
solomon111: Look at this mumu deceiving himself.
I won't be surprised if he actually believes this nonsense that he wrote.

Shut up!

Give your own opinion...and don't attempt any nonsense here or else....
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by DuduNegro: 3:50am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88:

Let's agree with your statement that SE is the kidnapping capital. Do explain to me how that makes a man or woman in Lagos any safer.

Its a fraud to give information to the public that negatively impacts and distorts the truth about events in any one region as is done here by Cleen.

To get a true and accurate info on the rate of kidnapping you cannot go by court records or police arrest because those two are inconsistent you must run a risk factor survey in which you ask people in each region to assess security risk in their areas.

Why is the family of Governor of Akwa Ibom relocated to SW, why are all the important elite groups in SS/SE relocated to SW, why are all the important and leadership decision making meetings in SE held in SW?

What is risk factor that terrifies prople in SS/SE and cause their migratory drift to SW?

Charts and polls and statistical datas are indicators, they are not error proof and are very subjectively attached to an end.

The end here is security contracts for Cleen. The Chairman of the board has degree in criminology. Lagos is fighting a war on crime. He has to raise the risk bar and promote his company as a solution for the problem.

In a sane society he will be blacklisted by government and as well sued.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:38am On Oct 23, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Its a fraud to give information to the public that negatively impacts and distorts the truth about events in any one region as is done here by Cleen.

[size=13pt]To get a true and accurate info on the rate of kidnapping you cannot go by court records or police arrest because those two are inconsistent you must run a risk factor survey in which you ask people in each region to assess security risk in their areas.[/size]

Why is the family of Governor of Akwa Ibom relocated to SW, why are all the important elite groups in SS/SE relocated to SW, why are all the important and leadership decision making meetings in SE held in SW?

What is risk factor that terrifies prople in SS/SE and cause their migratory drift to SW?

Charts and polls and statistical datas are indicators, they are not error proof and are very subjectively attached to an end.

The end here is security contracts for Cleen. The Chairman of the board has degree in criminology. Lagos is fighting a war on crime. He has to raise the risk bar and promote his company as a solution for the problem.

That's why I asked if you read the article.

The charts came from victimization surveys.

The surveys CLEEN is basing their national findings on were conducted by Practical Sampling International (PSI).

11,518 men and women from each of the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria were surveyed.

Surely, they are not error proof, but the charts were made by answers from every day Nigerians and not court records or police arrests.

Let's not dodge facts. The research only proves what people with common sense already knew. Nigeria doesn't really have a safety zone, and citizens from each and every corner of the country are scared. It's not a SW, or SE, or SS, or NW, etc., problem. Lack of security/high crime is a Nigerian problem. The sooner people realize that all of us, rather than one region or tribe, have soiled hands, the sooner we get on the right track. Threads like this and that of Enugu being the crime capitol don't draw us closer to progress in all seriousness.

1 Like

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 4:46am On Oct 23, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Its a fraud to give information to the public that negatively impacts and distorts the truth about events in any one region as is done here by Cleen.

To get a true and accurate info on the rate of kidnapping you cannot go by court records or police arrest because those two are inconsistent you must run a risk factor survey in which you ask people in each region to assess security risk in their areas.

sincerely am not into your yoruba hate ibo stuff,

but i blv the reason most SS/SE diginitaries lives in lagos which is in SW is bcus it former FCT for such a long time.
it has noting to do with been better than their region security wise.

by the way why did this cleen group cunningly seperates lagos from SW in some areas they feel SW will top the chart.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 4:52am On Oct 23, 2013
ownership of gun statistics is

SE 3%
NE 3%
SW 2%?
NC 2%
SS 1%
NW 1%
LAGOS 1% ?

WHY DID THEY HAS TO SEPERATE LAGOS FROM SW JUST TO GIVE SW BETTER GRADE.

WHY ARE THERE FOUL PLAY IN EVERYTHING IN NAIJA. EVEN SO CALLED INDEPENDENT ORGANIZATION.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 4:53am On Oct 23, 2013
^^^ I did wonder about that. I can't think of a reason.

1 Like

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 5:03am On Oct 23, 2013
ARM VIOLENCE OTHER THAN RoBBERRY BY REGION:

NE 11%
SS 9%
NC E%
NW 3%
LAGOS 2% ?
SW 1% ?
SE 1%

I SMELL FOUL PLAY HERE. IF A CREDIBLE GROUP DO THIS RESEARCH I BLV SW CRIME FIGURE % WILL GO HIGHER THAN THIS,
ANYWAY BELOW INFO ARE PURELY WHY SW RATE IS LOWER THAN TRUE SITUATION.

Presented by 'Kemi Okenyodo, Executive Director CLEEN Foundation, a non-governmental organisation which aims to promote public safety, security and accessible justice in Nigeria and West Africa
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by DuduNegro: 5:09am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88:

That's why I asked if you read the article.

The charts came from victimization surveys.

The surveys CLEEN is basing their national findings on were conducted by Practical Sampling International (PSI).

11,518 men and women from each of the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria were surveyed.

Surely, they are not error proof, but the charts were made by answers from every day Nigerians and not court records or police arrests.

Let's not dodge facts. The research only proves what people with common sense already knew. Nigeria doesn't really have a safety zone, and citizens from each and every corner of the country are scared. It's not a SW, or SE, or SS, or NW, etc., problem. Lack of security/high crime is a Nigerian problem. The sooner people realize that all of us, rather than one region or tribe, have soiled hands, the sooner we get on the right track. Threads like this and that of Enugu being the crime capitol don't draw us closer to progress in all seriousness.

So is the report by USIS wrong. If I present you with the report from UK and EU on travel waning for Nigeria would that seal it for you?

Cleen is running a business.

This would be like CNN saying America has won the war on terror. That will kill their business. To promote business they have tobstay relevant.

Cleen is trying to stay relevant. Thry are biased.

Lets look at unbiased and non-commercial interest and their position on security and safe zones in Nigeria. What do they say?
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by seanet02: 5:13am On Oct 23, 2013
ogugua88: ^^^ I did wonder about that. I can't think of a reason.
You always want to group Lagos with South west when it comes to statistics on the bad side,
But when Yorubas and South Westerners says that Lagos belong to them, you will start running your isi ewu mouth.
Nkita Ara
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 5:15am On Oct 23, 2013
If Mr. Kemi Okenyodo, Executive Director CLEEN Foundation conducts a credible research of the crimes around naija very well without favouratism i blv SW will record higher above every region in crime summary followed by SE and NE, SS, NC and then NW.

I mean in general summary of crime commited. i have been in almost every region in naija so i know what am talking about.
all this lagos medias trying to over publicize crime in the east is purely a witch hunting of the ibos. am from a minority state so i know game.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 23, 2013
masu: ARM VIOLENCE OTHER THAN RUBBERRY BY REGION:

Abeg lol.

Dudu_Negro: So is the report by USIS wrong. If I present you with the report from UK and EU on travel waning for Nigeria would that seal it for you?

Cleen is running a business.

This would be like CNN saying America has won the war on terror. That will kill their business. To promote business they have tobstay relevant.

Cleen is trying to stay relevant. Thry are biased.

Lets look at unbiased and non-commercial interest and their position on security and safe zones in Nigeria. What do they say?

UK? EU? To Prove Nigeria unsafe?

Well, if na oyibo you wan hear, the Macarthur Foundation from the USA has been supporting CLEEN.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 5:34am On Oct 23, 2013
seanet02:
You always want to group Lagos with South west when it comes to statistics on the bad side,
But when Yorubas and South Westerners says that Lagos belong to them, you will start running your isi ewu mouth.
Nkita Ara

sorry my brother i think you get it wrong or you are been angry for nothing.

the issue here is that cleen present lagos sepearte from SW in some reports and join them with SW in another.
these are all in one report sheet.

bro lets be reasonable for once and keep sentiment aside. this is the major reason naija is going no where.

Rape and Attempted Rape
SS 10%
NE 6%
SW 4%?
NW 4%
LAGOS 3%?
NC 3%
SE 1%
3 + 4 is 7% which make SW west second in this area but cleen conviniently seperate lagos from SW to give SW favor here.

ii. Rape and Attempted Rape
5% of respondents stated that they had been raped or been victims of attempted rape. The analysis according to geopolitical zones shows that the South South has the highest incidence with 10%, followed by the North East (6%). The South West and North West recorded 4% each. The North Central recorded 3% and South East had the lowest score of 1%. The incidence of rape has been on the increase from 3% in 2011 to 5% in 2013. When victims were asked where the rape occurred, 36% said it happened near their own homes; 19% said it occurred at their homes and 13% said it occurred in the school or work place. Again the challenge of security and safety in the homes is explicitly exhibited in rape case. Respondents were further asked how widespread the incidence of rape was: 10% believed it was very widespread, 33% said it happened occasionally, 48% believed it was non-existent while 9% said they do not know.

LOOK AT THE INFO ANALYSIES AND SEE HOW CLEEN GROUP SECRETLY MINUS LAGOS FROM THEIR INFO. I KNOW THE SEPERATION IS JUST ANOTHER WAY OF GIVING SW A SOFT LANDING.

4 Likes

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 5:39am On Oct 23, 2013
iii. Kidnapping and Attempted Kidnapping
A total of 3% of the respondents interviewed nationwide said that they had been victims of kidnapping or attempted kidnapping. The South West had the highest incidence of kidnapping with 5%, followed by the South East and South South with 4% each. The North West and North East each had an incidence of 3%, with the lowest being North Central at 2%.

SHOW ME LAGOS IN THIS INFO ABOVE.
I HOPE WE SEE WHAT AM TALKING ABOUT. LAGOS RECORDs THE RATE OF 4% PLUS 5% IN SW WHICH IS 9% MAKING SW THE KIDNAPING HUB OF NAIJA. CLEEN IS GIVING TOO MANY FAVORS TO SW IN THIS REPORT.

NAIJA I HAIL THEE, ONE NAIJA MY FOOT.

1 Like

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by DuduNegro: 5:42am On Oct 23, 2013
masu: If Mr. Kemi Okenyodo, Executive Director CLEEN Foundation conducts a credible research of the crimes around naija very well without favouratism i blv SW will record higher above every region in crime summary followed by SE and NE, SS, NC and then NW.

I mean in general summary of crime commited. i have been in almost every region in naija so i know what am talking about.
all this lagos medias trying to over publicize crime in the east is purely a witch hunting of the ibos. am from a minority state so i know game.

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 5:42am On Oct 23, 2013
vi. Attempted Murder
5% of respondents stated that they were victims of attempted murder. This indicated an increase from the 3% recorded in 2012. The highest was in the North East (8%), followed by the South South and North West with 7% each, the South West (6%), North Central (3%) and South East (2%) had the lowest incidence in this analysis.

this area all SW states were were not seperated why?
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by ACM10: 5:46am On Oct 23, 2013
passion007: And, in the spirit of the season, I expect this to make front-page.

cheesy cheesy

Mods, in the spirit of the season I expect this thread to take its rightful place at the front page. wink
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 5:46am On Oct 23, 2013
viii. Car Theft
The Survey revealed that 4% of respondents have had their cars stolen in the past one year. The highest incidence of car theft occurred in the North West (6%), followed by the South South (5%). The North East and South West recorded 4% and 3% respectively, while the South East and North Central recorded 2% and 1% respectively. 35% of cars were stolen in victims’ homes, 34% near victims’ homes, 19% elsewhere and 12% at their work place or school.

on car theft lagos records 5% plus 4%SW which is 9%, this make SW the hub of car theft in naija.
why should cleen place NW of the top of that list while yorubas are worst hitted on this area.

pls lets be sincere in our action for a better naija.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 6:00am On Oct 23, 2013
premiuntimes was too fast yesterday to label Enugu the crime capital of nigeria just to scare travellers.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147014-enugu-crime-capital-nigeria-survey.html

this issue with them is all about Enugu international airport. Isn't lagos SW enjoy this for more than 40yrs now.
but less than 6 months of Enugu SE of coming onboard SW media going gaga.

what is the harm IBOs did against YORUBAs? Yoruba attacks on IBOs is getting too much for my likey.
i like the way ibos are not attacking back shaa.

Remove Stella remove stella everywhere in the west, is it for what? just because of enugu international airport?
even if she is removed just to pacify the yorubas do you think its a prove that ibos will be help down perpetualy?
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by masu: 6:03am On Oct 23, 2013
please God bring SNC quick to us. but i dont know why SW politicians are joining the core north to campaign against it,

hypocricy and backbiting is the worst type of life. friends and neighbors should be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by passion007: 6:33am On Oct 23, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

There is crime everywhere but the capital of kidnapping is in SS/SE, not SW.

Simple!!

You see your life!
You want us to take your convictions over facts.
Feel free to point to the SE as a kidnap capital but you must have factual, statistical evidence.

Your claim that the US Dept of Security didn't list SW states doesn't hold water. States were listed based on the incidence of oil-related kidnapping. Tell me the SW isn't home to ritual kidnapping, political kidnapping, kidnapping for ransom, kidnapping one's enemies?

Your kinsman didn't think the SW had skeletons to hide when he pushed the Enugu thread to the FP.

I'd thank him to extend my thread the same courtesy.
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by goldfish80(m): 7:21am On Oct 23, 2013
Re: Southwest, Kidnap Capital Of Nigeria by biafranqueen: 7:34am On Oct 23, 2013
A total of 3% of the respondents interviewed nationwide said that they had been
victims of kidnapping or attempted kidnapping. The South West had the highest
incidence of kidnapping with 5%, followed by the South East and South South with
4% each. The North West and North East each had an incidence of 3%, with the
lowest being North Central at 2%.

When I am looking for investors they will not know or care which tribe is kidnapping what they will see is that Nigeria is a dangerous place to visit and live. If they open business their partner may be kidnapped, and have to use profits to release them from custody

52% of respondents said they were satisfied with the way the Federal Government is
handling the issue of terrorism or bomb attacks; 30% were dissatisfied, 16% said they
were neither satisfied nor dissatisfied and 2% said they do not know.

shocked shocked Half of the people said FG is controlling the bombing, they must never visit NL

Further analysis of the 5% who responded that they were victims of attempted
murder in 2013, showed that 35% of them said that the incidents occurred at their
own homes.
Interesting that attempted murder may be less in the SE then SS NE because the SE had the highest rate of owning fire arms, so the chance you may catch a bullet robbing a South Easterner in their house is higher, because they stay strapped.

Domestic Violence
Nearly one in every three respondents (30%) admitted having been a victim of
domestic violence. Over the last 3 years, there has been an increase in domestic
violence. There was a progressive increment from 21% in 2011 to 31% in 2012 with a
1% decrease in the 2013 survey to 30%. The findings of the 2013 survey revealed
that domestic violence ranks amongst the top four most common victimizations in
Nigeria.
Prevalence is highest in the South East with 43% followed by the South West
and the North East with 35% each. The South-South recorded a 26% incidence while
the North Central and North West recorded the lowest with 19% each.

Physical Assault
33% of respondents said they had been victim of physical assault in the 2013 survey.
Some states, Enugu (84%), Ebonyi (77%), Rivers (58%), and Anambra (50%)
Defined :The act required for an assault must be overt. Although words alone are insufficient, they might create an assault when coupled with some action that indicates the ability to carry out the threat. A mere threat to harm is not an assault; however, [b]a threat combined with a raised fist might be sufficient if it causes a reasonable apprehension of harm in the victim.[/b]Intent is an essential element of assault. In tort law, it can be specific intent—if the assailant intends to cause the apprehension of harmful or offensive contact in the victim—or general intent—if he or she intends to do the act that causes such apprehension.
oh yeah we know how to raise our hand like we will give a dirty slap, I see an opportunity to make money here with Anger Management Mandatory classes, like in USA if the police arrest you take the class or you go to jail! I smell a government contract and community service at the same time grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

**viewer Discretion Advised** Ride-by Thief Beaten To Pulp / Lagos Fraudster Mistakenly Shares Screenshot Of Himself Trying To Scam White Man / White Cop Shoots Unarmed Black Man 5 Times, Handcuffs His Lifeless Body.pics/vid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.