Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,987 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? (10114 Views)

NYSC: A Litmus Test For A Faithful Wife/girlfriend / Was Your NYSC A Waste Of Time? / During NYSC: A Good Professional Course To Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by AnOlAd: 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
Una no dey tire for NYSC talk...
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by olabamiji09(m): 1:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
yokiti: Disadvantages
1. The death of Henry Amadi, Adenike Adebayo comes to mind (though avoidable)
2. The issue of the lady matcheted in Bayelsa deserve a special mention.
3. The almighty 2011 post election crises that consumed corpers in Bauchi, Kaduna and made the NCCF corpers in Minna loose the family house and some valuable is a good point to discourage those you know from serving their fatherland.
Advantages.
1. NCCF rural rugged evangelism is a calcualted medium to reach out to locals and experiance what poverty and dark age mean in 21st century Nigeria.
2. On site learning about culture of people that you might not meet in your life time if not for NYSC.
3. Though it was established as an avenue to promote unity in Nigeria after the civil war but as it is now; some connected few individuals have seen it as an avenue to enrich their pocket (the budget for the kits and feeding of corp members.)
4. Its a good avenue for geographical expedition of the country Nigeria (not for those that influenced their posting to serve their motherland in the state of choice) but for those that accepted to serve anywhere they are posted.
5. Some ex- corper are MADE for life because of those they met during their service year.
Final word: its a blessing to those that have succeeded through it but the family of those that lost their precious child(ren) as a result of this will have a different opinion. I look forward to the day it will be a blessing to all and sundry.
May God bless Nigeria with good leaders and active and nation builders followers.
Note:This is my own submission and I stand to be corrected. Thanks!
You have spoken........... NYSC is/was great opportunity to so many
1. Some got their present wife or husband during the service year.
2. Business oppotunities from one state to another.
3. Friendship that lead to fortune etc
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Bizibi(m): 1:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
pendusky: HAV BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS GUY PIX SO THIS IS HIM? FOR REAL?

the guy is using it to make fun of sexkillz
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by AdeniyiA(m): 1:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
for some, its 'National Year of Sex n Comfort ' among others
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by godfreyakpoguma(m): 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
When I read a journal dat states"FG spend up to 250k for each corp member b4 d end of d service year" I wept,y not give each corp member dat money to start somtin viable for themselves. If they mismanaged such money they wud hv minimal blame to the govt about jobs.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Sunny360: 1:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
Pray,so some intending Corp Members dont know d difference btwn 'Cause', 'Course' & 'Curse'? SMH. Well,NYSC is a blessing..but note dat it's(i.e.: d scheme) not compulsory. Moreova,U can 'make it' a curse if U so desire. 4me,I luk 4ward 2d scheme bin a blessing 2me. Jah bless

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by andyanders: 1:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
topegreat: NYSC: A blessing or a curse?

Some people are clamouring that the NYSC scheme should be scrapped.
What is their reason?

1. It affords the youths the opportunity to add value to the community where they are serving (Corpers have provided school equipment, health centre, borehole etc through the scheme)
2. Afford you 1 year allowee (if well utilized)
3. free career development & entrepreneurship training (the part i love most)
4. Opportunity to network with people from different background, status and expertise.
4. Opportunity to get free work experience and be retained (sometimes) at your place of primary assignment
5. Opportunity to reach out to the poor in remote villages (rural rugged)

Or is there something (disadvantages) I am not seeing?

It should be scrapped. From the itemized points, do you know what parents go through without any grant to see their wards through school only for these children to come out after serving their father land, 90% will be thrown into unemployment market
Most youths have lost their lives serving this nation and the government will say they will compensate their families. Note, no amount of money is worth the live of any single graduate because that child could be the next Dangote.

The initial concept of this whole NYSC nonsense has been defeated because when it was conceived and given birth to, youths were recruited right from the universities at their final year to work anywhere you want and given a car loan and housing and from that point when the job is given.A young graduate knows where he or she would be in the next 5 yrs.
Right now, nothing like that. You see people who finished since 10 yrs ago still looking for job after serving their so called father's land that at the end, they get nothing. The government officials make sure they do not send their children to those volatile areas if they even serve.
No grant given to these students to study.Parents borrow and get indebted training their wards and only for the so called senators sending their pimps to NYSC camps to get them young ladies they want to bleep.

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by YoshiMaster: 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
The wool is still in the eyes of a few, the Sheep are lost, as the Shepard is too corrupt to care.

When a man is hungry, dry bread will seem like filet mignon to his hungry stomach.

My country really is in disarray, God please deliver us.

How can some see N20,000 wages a month, and a year derailment, for no "important" reason, as a blessing?

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Cahmegga: 2:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ajibel: I already have made up my mynd not to go for nysc. Ain't interested in their so-called adventure or shadowy service to FL.
There are better ways to serve my country and i can move to any state i like without being confined to a state via nysc programmes

Change ur mindset my dear...u need that discharge....not encouraging it buh...u can serve and not be confined to a state...this is Nigeria!
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Evansff(f): 2:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
Its a real blessing! #dancing skelewu wit ma kaki#!
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Sike(m): 2:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
BOTH !!
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by frankson1(m): 2:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
Marriages have been broken,infections have been 'acquired',death To - and from primary assignment. The majority of graduate go there to catch what they call FUN, that's sleeping with as many guys and ladies they can. For me it's one full year achieving nothing.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by ireneidiva(f): 3:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mr.Olodo:
Na me be Mr.olodo
grin
you clearly are
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by baffylander(m): 3:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
Well, i served in abuja and so did many of my friends and colleagues and to be honest, 70% of us got retained and are actually thankful to God and NYSC...some didnt utilise what they had and are currently playing 'catch up'...i think its really a matter of opinion sha...P.S We were paid 9750 then oooo
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by MaziOmenuko: 3:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Adeniyi A.:
for some, its 'National Year of Sex n Comfort ' among others

cool cool
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
I think using the word 'curse' is inappropriate. Imagine if those who lost their loved ones are reading this and you make them feel their family is cursed.
We all say its not our portion,of cos its nobody's portion and no one ever wish to die or lose someone during the service year.Even the fallen heroes never knew they will die that way and am so bittered each time I remember the fallen heroes and I ask God why? cry
From the points(disadvantages) some of you listed,the question should be
"is it a blessing or waste of time?" As for the 5ex part,dogs and bi tches can never change!nysc or not

*sighs* unfortunately yesterday made it two weeks since we lost Henry olatunde Tuni Amadi-Emina cry
May his soul and souls of all the faithful departed,through the mercy of God rest in perfect peace.Amen!

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
I will b going for my NYSC on dis comin Nov, and is goin to b an abundant blessing for in Jesus name...
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
Delibrate attempt to keep people out of the already jam packd labour force and at the same time giving them stipends to hold body.

The only problem i have is job seekers putting it up as a criteria for job selection and the anyhw posting. People should be allowed to chose where they want to serve.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
godfreyakpoguma: When I read a journal dat states"FG spend up to 250k for each corp member b4 d end of d service year" I wept,y not give each corp member dat money to start somtin viable for themselves. If they mismanaged such money they wud hv minimal blame to the govt about jobs.
Check that journal again. Its more than that. FG spends up to 1m per corp member. 1yr allowee plus camp expenses plus health insurance and all sorts.

If they give graduates the money it wil be worse.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by nairaarea: 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
YOU NEED GOD'S GRACE TO TAP THE BLESSINGS OF NYSC
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by TTOPSON(m): 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
It's a gud thing that most of you that condemns NYSC probably grew up in a well to do house or in the cities whr u hardly wish ever going out of ur domain. But i want you to understand that it is only NYSC that will help some people to change environment in their life which paradventure leads to discovering of purpose for living. Besides, NYSC has changed some pples story for gud in life. Though I stand to be corrected bt am a living witness.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Walexdinho4: 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
A curse n a blessing...........................
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by zico2(m): 6:59pm On Oct 25, 2013
If somebody wl thank God for the existence of Nysc, then it me. I met my wife at orientation camp, i thought it was a joke in the begining but it came to reality on the 24th october, 2009 when we tie the knot. Today im celebrating the fourth year anniversary wt two promising children, good job and enterprising wife. Now tell me, is Nysc a cause or blessing to me. The choice is yours. I took the right step and it works out. Nysc must stay for life.
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by godfreyakpoguma(m): 7:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
chidyhels:
Check that journal again. Its more than that. FG spends up to 1m per corp member. 1yr allowee plus camp expenses plus health insurance and all sorts.

If they give graduates the money it wil be worse.
let assumed I didn't get d figures right,y did u believe giving graduates d money wud be worst? Is there anytin worst dan dis present situation?
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Chinwem(f): 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
A waste of time

1 Like

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Dubemkelly(m): 8:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
Waste of time I must tell u...Nothing being learnt 4 real cos dey eventually turn u 2 an errand fellow instead of teaching more about job management n ethnics....NYSC my behind, shud be scrapped off tho sum may benefit 4rm it but I'm speaking on behalf of d majority of corps members
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by mystical10: 8:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
There is a big gap btw naija graduates and labour force, so the one yr shld use in vocational training(skills acquisition)
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Godson201333(m): 8:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
Neyova: This is my fourth time of becoming first to comment on nairaland..... Great achievement tho!

You are so siiiiiiiiiilly...How much have you been paid so far by the way what is the website of NSCDC?
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Agozie48: 8:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
It's both....and it depends on how you take each one...
Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Figoinc(m): 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
NYSC is more than a blessing. It is ignorance and the 'Nigerian challenges' that makes it seem like a curse.

For those who are yet to serve, get the book titled "NYSC:It's Not About Me" by Effiong Edentekhe and read. It will give you a whole new perspective on what NYSC is all about and what it takes to have a successful and fun-filled service year.

I love NYSC, I love Nigeria. God bless you all.

Re: NYSC: A Blessing Or A Curse? by Ajibel(m): 9:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
Cahmegga:

Change ur mindset my dear...u need that discharge....not encouraging it buh...u can serve and not be confined to a state...this is Nigeria!

Thank you sir/ma, i'd think of reconsidering my decision maybe then smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Thread For Corpers Posted To Kebbi. / Jega Guarantees Corpers' Security In 2015 Elections / Niger Batch A16 Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.