Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Nigerian Blogs Are Dying - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigerian Blogs Are Dying (1152 Views)

Why Blogs Are Better Than Websites / Please Help My Blogs Are Not Getting Adverts From Addynamo / Nigerian Blogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by tsharp(m): 9:21am On Jul 08, 2008
Following my post seeking advise before starting my blog I went researching Nigerian blogs (mainly here on nairaland) and discovered that many of the advertised blogs (see the topic Nigerian Blogs) are dead, including http://okrasoup.typepad.com/blacklooks/ which was widely acknowledged to be the best Nigerian blog. what is the hope for aspiring Nigerian bloggers like me?

I however "stumbled upon" http://innocentlyspeaking.com authored by a Nigerian and took time to read almost all his posts. Fine writer but I hope he lasts. But will all those ads not put off visitors?
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by yawatide(f): 10:43am On Jul 08, 2008
@tsharp

Your last sentence IMHO is the reason why there are so many blogs - generally speaking, they aren't doing it cos they like it but cos they see blogging as a money-generating avenue. When they write for ages however and all they get is peanuts from adsense, they get discouraged hence the "dying" you are talking about.
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by OmniPotens(m): 10:54am On Jul 08, 2008
yawa is right. The peanuts from adsense gets people pissed and they soon get to abandon their blogs which they set up as a business venture. The whole thing is not so easy. You can make a name by fighting to awaken tired bloggers. This in turn awakens the spirit of blogging in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by syskay(m): 11:29am On Jul 08, 2008
The reason is very obvious. Most Nigerian Bloggers venture into the uncharted terrain of blogging after reading eBooks with titles like “How I make $10,000 monthly from my blog”, sold by cyberspace hustlers who are out to swindle folks who daydream of making it big online.

Successful bloggers are not just in it for the money; to them money is just a derivative of what they enjoy doing and in the process they provide valuable resources for their readers that will automatically make them always come back for more, which will lead to a stable stream of visitors that guarantees satisfactory financial earnings through advertising.
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by smartsoft(m): 2:22pm On Jul 08, 2008
well my blog aren't for making money though, have something that brings in money for me, i just love to share the word CREATIVITY that lead me in creating www.ucheugo.com as a blog
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by OmniPotens(m): 7:16pm On Jul 08, 2008
smartsoft:

well my blog aren't for making money though, have something that brings in money for me, i just love to share the word CREATIVITY that lead me in creating www.ucheugo.com as a blog

Just as you said, people are like you. Those with your ideology even make the best out of their blogs. You have the time to make good write-ups for your blogs.

People most times complain that there are no guests visiting their blogs but if you actually visit their blog, you will never plan of coming back again. Their posts are pointless. They just copy and paste things that are not worth it. At the end of the day, they complain and over complain even.

I think I will start asking them to visit better blogs to find out what others succeeding are doing before they come back to complain again.
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by eolutosin(m): 2:30pm On Aug 04, 2008
I think one of the reasons why most blogs are dead now is because the owners lack passion for what they are writing about. Like Syskay pointed out, many people just started a blog because they read somewhere that they can make money online blogging. The starting point to having and running a blog is to have a need that you want to fill. This has to be something that you are passionate about that you can commit some of your time to it. Blogging takes time and it involves serious learning. You can not give what you don't have.

I have been maintaining my blog - http://www.eolutosin.com - since 2005 and today, the blog is still active. My focus is on helping entrepreneurs and career people maximise their resources and achieve their goals.

So, if you want to start a blog, identify a need first and then make a committment to meeting those needs. It will take a lot of discipline from you but I can tell you that it is worth it. Lives of people will be transformed and I believe that is enough reward already.

All the best
Re: Nigerian Blogs Are Dying by kpoxyresin: 4:13pm On Aug 12, 2008
Well, I would love to say a little thing about this a this moment. Yes, the truth is that most guys are into the blog thing becos of the money that it appears to offer, However, Nigerian guys gat what it takes to take blogosphere to another level, You do not throw away the baby with the bath- water. Niaja guys migth not have what it takes as in constant fresh content and the rest but we gat to encourage them instead of crying over spilt milk that Niaja blogs need an autopsy. Pls lets all brainstorm and see how we can go ahead in this game. cool

(1) (Reply)

Who? / Need A Good Php-sql Ebook / List Of Top Fifty Websites In Nigeria Owned By Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.