Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase (29023 Views)

How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It / Total Cost Of Clearing A Vehicle At TINCAN PORT / What Measure Is Being Put In Place To Avoid Buying A Stolen Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by KingMicky3286: 9:36am On Apr 02, 2018
chukel:
2days ago FRSC bayelsa command identified a stolen honda EOD which was being registered for the new plate number. To the 2nd owner, he bought a tokunboh car from lagos, brought it back to bayelsa and went ahead to register for d new plate number. It was dia dat FRSC discovered on dia system dat the car had been registered. Dy pulled d original information on the car nd called d phone number d car was registered with. The original owner picked and confirmed her car was stolen on 9th of september at gunpoint. Meanwhile the new owner purchased the vehicle on the 19th of september. The woman came down to bayelsa with her husband. The car, original owner and d 2nd owner were handed over to police. Kudos to the new vehicle registration scheme. The question is, hw wud one avoid purchasing a stolen vehicle. Wat r d tips or measures one shud take. Wat d signs dat shuyd raise suspicion. Ur input is needed. Anybody can fall victim

Go with the seller to road safety and police for verification and also make sure that the number of previous owner is active so that you can confirm that the seller is the rightful onwer..

In abroad here i live , before you sell or transfer owner ship , you must be present and use your thumb-print or facing recognition to sign off as past owner and to sign the buyer as a present owner.But Nigeria still have long way to go in this things where no citizens have a valid identification. which makes the government to run easily and effective .
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by infinixhot3(m): 9:45am On Apr 02, 2018
VACANCY!!! VACANCY!!!*
*Data Entry Officer Wanted!!!*
No Qualification
No Experience needed No buying and selling
Not MLM
Not Ponzi
REQUIREMENTS:
1. Valid Email Address
2. Valid Phone Number
3. Access to Internet
4. Age limit from 18 - 45 years
JOB DESCRIPTION: working at least 1-3 hours of your time daily by simply filling in numbers on the company's website. Each number attracts 10 cents{USD} and one could earn a hoping sum of at least $100 to $300 daily.
SALARY: very Attractive (Receive payment as u work}
Payment: is done through Western Union Money,paypal ,Transfer, Bitcoin, Direct Bank Transaction, Webmoney and other Online bank payment platform.
Work starts immediately you Register/sign Up, at the comfort of your home and work.
Open the link and register please or copy and paste on your chrome browser or other browser
http://ebmoney.site/1570731636839/
*​you don't need to pay a penny, just devote a little time. It's real​*
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by mybestlove(m): 10:07am On Apr 02, 2018
THE BEST SOLUTION IS TO AVOID BUYING CARS IN NIGERIA.

IMPORT YOUR CARS LIKE I DO

OR BETTER STILL, USE BICYCLE

1 Like

Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by landlord7(m): 10:12am On Apr 02, 2018
I learnt you can register and search on www.gadgetverify.com for stolen vehicles , laptops , phones and even television

1 Like

Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by paix(m): 11:46am On Apr 02, 2018
solace2013:
Price may be cheaper, e.g. someone offering a so called 2009 Camry for 900k, be careful of such. Seller may be in a hurry, pleading with you to buy at a very cheap price, be careful. Awoof dey run belle o. One man in Akure took bank loan to buy a "tokunbo" 2004 Nissan Pathfinder for N800k, a car of about 1.5 million. He even go church go share testimony of "God's favour" lo and behold, the car was stolen from Lagos and sold to him in Oshogbo, what saved him was that the dealer who sold the car to him and one of the thieves who snatched the car were caught. However, [b]I heard that he spent more than a million naira for police, lawyers and spiritualists [/b]before he was let off the hook.
What a combination, church and spiritualists!!!!!!
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by umuna(m): 11:55am On Apr 02, 2018
chukel:
2days ago FRSC bayelsa command identified a stolen honda EOD which was being registered for the new plate number. To the 2nd owner, he bought a tokunboh car from lagos, brought it back to bayelsa and went ahead to register for d new plate number. It was dia dat FRSC discovered on dia system dat the car had been registered. Dy pulled d original information on the car nd called d phone number d car was registered with. The original owner picked and confirmed her car was stolen on 9th of september at gunpoint. Meanwhile the new owner purchased the vehicle on the 19th of september. The woman came down to bayelsa with her husband. The car, original owner and d 2nd owner were handed over to police. Kudos to the new vehicle registration scheme. The question is, hw wud one avoid purchasing a stolen vehicle. Wat r d tips or measures one shud take. Wat d signs dat shuyd raise suspicion. Ur input is needed. Anybody can fall victim

If the car is a Tokunbo, the seller should present you with a Bill of lading, Customs assessment & payments etc. But if it is a used vehicle, the seller should present you with Certificate of Ownership (Original), Plate number allocation paper, Police Clearance before registration (ECMR) and vehicle particulars. Anything outside these items, know the vehicle is stolen. All documents presented before sales must be originals and not photocopies. Must criminals sells stolen cars/vehicle very cheap and buyers falls for this trick!

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by ogbiwa: 12:23pm On Apr 02, 2018
bolaray5050:
To identify a stolen vehicle is very simple. Before payment is made, copy the chassis number and go to the nearest FRSC office to confirm online if the vehicle was once registered in Nigeria. Once the number is sent into their system, a confirmation will be released immediately. It is that simple. Dont forget to request for a written document confirming the verification from the FRSC office. Although it will cost some money, it is still better than getting involved in a police case after purchasing a stolen vehicle. That is my suggestion.

Your analogy is incomplete. The essence of involving the FRSC is not just to confirm if the vehicle has been registered in Nigeria. Of course it should have been registered in Nigeria it is a used vehicle except you're talking of tokunbo.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by stchinedu: 1:07pm On Apr 02, 2018
MY suggestion and I believe it's a lot safer...

Concentrate more on the vehicle registration number, especially the modern one.

Copy it and take it to FRSC office

Ask them to run a check on the number...It will bring out the full details of the vehicle and the owner with his/he phone number

Call the owner and confirm...

This does not apply to vehicles with old plate number. On that one, you are on your own o

******@@@@@*****

When I wanted to get the new tint permit for my SUV, I decided to renew my papers as well and to get the 'authentic' car insurance for the vehicle. I went to a friend who is a FRSC officer to help me renew the papers. He called me few hours later to tell me that the plate number of my vehicle of over 2yrs had been assigned to a different vehicle. In fact, he printed out the details and gave me. It had been assigned to another vehicle 3yrs earlier, SUV but Nissan product while mine Is Toyota. I was confused and decided to call the man whose vehicle has same number as my vehicle and he confirmed it. He was surprised and could not believe what I was telling him on phone. That was how I was saved from the police wahala that could have come up if I had taking my vehicle to them for tint without finding out. I know of people who took their vehicles to the police for Tint and ended up paying to save themselves for 'stolen vehicle'.

The fRSC and police have access to the full details of the modern vehicle registration number on their database. An individual can only get limited detail.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2018
darlingnuel:
Don't you think that the police may have scammed you. Did you get to meet the alleged original owner whom the vehicle was allegedly stolen from?

Yes I met him.
When I said the 'same' police, I meant it allegorically, in the sense of 'members of the same police force' not in the sense that the individual policemen were the same, they weren't.
I never thought that the police could have scammed me. If so, why wait for 3 years to do so? They would have done so immediatrly, or maybe a week later. Anyway, come on. They are policemen. Policemen don't scam.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by DeBlackArabian: 5:31pm On Apr 02, 2018
If nothing guys the seller ought to provide all customs clearance papers and shipping papers.... For tokunbo vehicles

For Nigerian used ..u can scan the plate number with FRSC and get the details of the car and owener if it matches the documents u were given..if not do contact the original owner from FRSC and confirm before you buy .
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by lourash(m): 12:41am On Apr 03, 2018
Another measure is to ensure that after confirming that the vehicle document is valid, I make sure that the account name I am making payment to is the name on the car document. works at times though not always. if not i expect that you should show me evidence of links between the account I am paying to and the name on the car documents.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by jaychubi: 9:20am On Apr 03, 2018
jaychubi:

Price of purchase is d first reg flag
Buy from registered dealers or someone u kw dt u can lead police to when kasala burst
Avoid olx n jiji cars lol
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by shawlar(m): 8:53am On Apr 05, 2018
Go and check naijastolencars.com

http://naijastolencars.com/search-our-site

1 Like

Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by shawlar(m): 8:56am On Apr 05, 2018
Farmerforlife:

Yes I met him.
When I said the 'same' police, I meant it allegorically, in the sense of 'members of the same police force' not in the sense that the individual policemen were the same, they weren't.
I never thought that the police could have scammed me. If so, why wait for 3 years to do so? They would have done so immediatrly, or maybe a week later. Anyway, come on. They are policemen. Policemen don't scam.

I can't figure out if you are joking or maybe you haven't really met the Nigerian Police before
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 05, 2018
shawlar:

I can't figure out if you are joking or maybe you haven't really met the Nigerian Police before

I am speaking theoretically.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by Cosplay: 7:56pm On Apr 07, 2018
chukel:
didn't even remember I ever posted something like this. Since 2013. Meanwhile, u have not replied my pm.

Ah. I did boss.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by tck2000(m): 11:36am On Jan 06, 2020
adanny01:
I have had plans on so many ocassions to buy a car from Nairaland but never found a good one at the right price and time. Am still searching.

Family and friends have warned me not to buy from nairaland due to 2 issues; fraudsters and stolen vehicles.

I was of the opinion that to absolve myself from prosecution for receiving stolen property, i will ask my seller to join me with the car to a police station where we will demand for a police report and thereafter go to court for change of ownership registration. With that, i believe, i the buyer may be free from prosecution. Ofcourse, police report is a little issue as they may make you pay through your nose. The court i believe charge as little as N200 (in the north o). An option is for the buyer and seller to take the car to any FRSC office to confirm if its not stolen. All these should be carried out b4 money is transfered to the seller. It also means the seller must be willing to leave his business to do that. If the car was bought from a registered auto dealer, then a reciept or an invoice should protect the buyer from prosecution if car is later discovered to be stolen. The auto dealer should be responsible but the Nigerian security system will be so quick to lock you up even with a reciept from the company.

Someone with better experience can tell us if my opinion will work or better ways for us buyers to protect ourselves from the police. On instances like this, the police are known for locking up everybody that has his name mentioned.
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by excanny: 4:13pm On Mar 01, 2020
Ask for the proof of ownership certificate, call the number on it to ask the owner if the car is stolen.

Or if u are still not convinced, take a photocopy of proof of ownership to licencing office to verify it and call the person who registered it last to confirm if its a stolen vehicle.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by fineboynl(m): 10:24pm On Feb 07, 2023
pyx:
Very easy to identify a stolen car in nigeria
Years back i foolishly bought a Nissan Altima through my mechanic after he confirmed that he knew the owner for a long time, i check the papers and all were correct with the plate number and made payment.
A week after, my cousin suggested we should go to bank to print vehicle permit reminder before going to do change of name.
On getting to bank the officer asked for the plate number to pull out other information about the car after paying a token of two hundred naira for the reminder.
All the information on the reminder was totally different from the vehicle papers with me, immediately i called a SARS officer who encouraged me drive the car to the nearest police headquarter which i did with his support though almost got frustrated at a point for twisting the case by the IPO
Moral part of it
Before buying a car get the plate number walk into your bank to print vehicle permit reminder use it to confirm the document the seller is presenting to you
Then it cost 200 naira i don't know now
what do you mean by bank to print vehicle permit?
Re: How Can One Identify A Stolen Vehicle At The Point Of Purchase by fineboynl(m): 8:50pm On Mar 19, 2023
No two vehicles have the same VIN or Chasis no. A vehicle registered correctly with a VIN no cannot be re-registered with the same VIN no. The FRSC portal will indicate it's been used before.

That's why it is very pertinent to properly register one's vehicle.
what if a dealer buy from Owner to resell?

I believe dealer will be wise enough to ask for all that before purchase. So the name on the document will be of the previous owner and also the dealer provide the drivers license.

How would you na buy without a driver's license?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are These The Worst Paint Jobs Ever Done On Cars? / What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.