Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents (139629 Views)

22 Appropriate Names Of Nigerian Foods You Probably Didn't Know / 10 Nigerian Foods You Must Eat Before You Die / Common Nigerian Foods And Their Recipes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by sundiataa(m): 9:30am On Oct 26, 2013
There is little you can do to avoid calories in our food,but you can empowered your body to with CLEANSHIELD,a liquid supplement that boost your PH level,whereby your body will be able to effectively handles it,
You can contact me on 08037095551 or 07052867116
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 26, 2013
ninocia18:

Eh?! Loosing what? I hope the weight loss dint get to that place... Yhu know what I mean. Abeg if na joke stop am. The info doesn't imply to yhu all.
hmm. I must slim down o.

By force. smiley I don't know what you mean wink
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 26, 2013
lorretta u: hmm. I must slim down o.

By force. smiley I don't know what you mean wink

No slim down oh, dat thing u carry for chest go reduce drastically tongue
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 26, 2013
Chillisauce:

No slim down oh, dat thing u carry for chest go reduce drastically tongue
my sister. What choice do I have?

Adding weight is not good for the health.besides
I want to be slim like agbani.so I can comfortably wear bikinis without folks staring.
Gets a little embarrassing.

Fat chance tho. sad
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 26, 2013
lorretta u: my sister. What choice do I have?

Adding weight is not good for the health.besides
I want to be slim like agbani.so I can comfortably wear bikinis without folks staring.
Gets a little embarrassing.

Rat chance tho
Why do you want to be like agbani while you can be like Kim kardashan. Don't go looking like bony figure if you are not the size.

Just work on the belly, with that you can rock any bikini. Apart from the health you mentioned, agbani no dey rain again o. As per staring, Ppl will always stare even if you wear bubba.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 26, 2013
Chillisauce:
Why do you want to be like agbani while you can be like Kim kardashan. Don't go looking like bony figure if you are not the size.

Just work on the belly, with that you can rock any bikini. Apart from the health you mentioned, agbani no dey rain again o. As per staring, Ppl will always stare even if you wear bubba.
sounds nice smiley smiley
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by dupeayo(f): 12:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
alala dakosta: ok, u never see Hunger. na person wey don beleful dey calculate calories for food. shey na jamiu go take calculator dey find calories inside him bread and beans to calculate?
lolz
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by dupeayo(f): 12:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
lorretta u: sounds nice smiley smiley
Thanks
gud.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by damilola15: 3:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
chidyhels:

something must kill a man, if ur own is calories, so be it. Am not ready to be calculating calories b4 i eat anytin.

Yeah something will definitely kill you. undecided undecided undecided Reducing the chances of one of those things actually killing you is not a bad idea.

Professor D.:

Did your grandfather deep fry, did he drink soda or soft drink, did he work in an office(sit down all day) did he eat fast junk snacks, the probable anwser is no, except you intentionally or unintetionally work out a lot then you should control what you eat I was just sharing info that if you use properly you wont be looking for pills to reduce obesity and other life style ailments

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by SenatorJames(m): 10:45am On Oct 27, 2013
Thank God for Ewedu.

-Pap and Ewedu as canal food
-Holy communion as divine food
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by toyorsiii(f): 12:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
abeggi jor, na naija we dey...anything i c i'll eat
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Danieltaiwo(m): 4:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
Na exercise sure pass.abeg wetin be jews mellow,na jute mellow me sabi o
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by ProfessorD(m): 5:26pm On Oct 27, 2013
Danieltaiwo: Na exercise sure pass.abeg wetin be jews mellow,na jute mellow me sabi o

It has many names both are correct, it can also be called english spinach
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nobody: 2:27am On Oct 28, 2013
Wetin remain to chop gan sef? If u chop this, dem go say e get calorie. If u chop that, dem go say e get cholesterol... Make person no kuku chop again. After nau, if u chop, dem go talk say e get Stella Oduah! Mscheeeew...
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by dapyd1(m): 12:26pm On Nov 13, 2013
You can get latest news on fitness and diet at poadafitness..com
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by itpossible: 3:25am On Nov 21, 2013
I read this post with great interest. you can eat Nigerian every day as long as you make a few changes on how you cook some dishes.

Firstly swap meat for fish you will save 50% on your calories
When you cooking Efo Riro replace palm oil with a teaspoon of olive oil that all you need. Spinach has 23calories per 100g and tomatoes onion, pepper very lower in calories but high nurtients. Use fish- fish is only 80 calories per fillet with no skin compare to the 200 calories for beef meat

Chooose white gari over yellow gari.

instead frying plantain, grill.

1 medium/large egg is 70-80calories but egg white is 17calories. dont fry your meat grill and take skin off your chicken

moi moi is healthy option just steam the blended beans with fish/ vegtables and egg white. you dont need the yolk or oil

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by naijainfogalery: 6:03pm On Jan 01, 2015
For all Nigerian foods, ingredients and condiments . Get Nigerian foods here http://www.nigerianfoods.com/
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by naijainfogalery: 6:04pm On Jan 01, 2015
Pounded Yam, Iyan Ado - Pounded Yam, Smooth Companion to all Soups

Your table is clear. Only 3 bowls remain, one with water, one with pounded yam & one with your favorite soup.

http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/pounded-yam-iyan-ado-4lbs
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Princeton007jmc: 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2015
ProfessorD:
Calories in Eba/Garri
To calculate how many calories there are in your Eba or your raw Garri that you drink, here is the calorie content of a cup of Raw Garri. Garri has 360 calories of which 99% is carbohydrate

Pounded Yam (Iyan)

Iyan (Pounded Yam) is one of our highest calorie high carbohydrate foods. Imagine you are dividing the amount of pounded yam eaten into cups (milk tins), then one cup of pounded yam is about 400 calories. I doubt if anyone eats that small a serving, so if for instance you eat 2 milk
tin-sized balls of pounded yam, you are already at 800 calories. By the time you tot up the value of your soup, you are looking at a very high calorie meal indeed.

Indomie Noodles
Depending on the size; super pack is 640 calories and the average nigerian would double this

Tuwo (White Cornmeal)
One cup of white cornmeal (tuwo) is roughly 450 calories

Rice
A cup of raw white rice is 693 calories you can further increase that with the way you cook it

Beans
In Nigeria, Beans is one of our favourite meals. It is loved by weight loss experts because of itshigh protein content. A cup of beans is somewhere around 378 calories
wat of pap and akara(beans cake)
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by chuxjay(m): 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2015
An event or a function cannot be said to possess class if cocktails are not
served. Its not just about the cocktail but about presentation and taste.

If you have an event and you are in need of cocktail, please do not
hesitate to send a message to me on email: baobab4dus@yahoo.co.uk or call
me on 07067340850

Add that colour, taste and class to your event with array of cocktail like:
Pina Colada
long island ice tea
Tequilla sunrise
Cosmopolitan
Maitai
Sex on De Beach
Robroy
Frozen Magarita
Miami Ice tea
B52
Gin & Tonic
Zombie
Screw Driver
Mojito
Dirty Martini
Chapman
Lemon Juice
Smoothies
Melon Lemonade
and a host of others

Interested individuals, hoteliers and lounge and bar owners/opertaors can also
contact me for tutorials on how to prepare them at a fee which is
affordable.

Thanks and God bles,
Mark
baobab4dus@yahoo.co.uk or call me on 07067340850
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by oyeoye64: 10:12am On Sep 01, 2015
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by oyeoye64: 10:16am On Sep 01, 2015
ProfessorD:
Based on a 2,000 calorie diet:
Normal cholesterol intake per day is 300mg - if you have high cholesterol or high LDL -
cholesterol intake per day is to be 200mg or less.
How much is a serving? A serving is about the palm size of your hand. Shocking but true.
Basic Nigerian Dishes
The basic Egusi Soup enriched with few chunks of stockfish and two pieces of meat contains a total of roughly 700 calories per serving!!! Imagine eating it with about 3 wraps of pounded yam which is about 600 calories...
The largest food group it contains is Fat. Egusi is very high in fat content. It has about 60% fat. And imagine the more calories for those who love adding lots of palm oil to our egusi soup. It also
has about 11 percent carbohydrates.Proteins make up 30 percent while other elements make up the rest. Cholesterol - 306mg.

Okra Soup

Okra soup with about one or two pieces of fish and a minimal amount of palm oil would be very good. Okra soup alone contains about 105 calories only per serving. Here is a summary of what it contains:
Okra has about 2.8g of Fibre per serving, 3g of Fat, 4g of Carbohydrates and 11g of Protein. So for those trying to lose weight, why not try okra soup ALONE any time you are tempted to eat your
Pounded Yam or Eba.

Ewedu Soup
Ewedu is one of the good soups for weight loss. If you are looking for a low calorie meal, you can count on Ewedu, especially considering the fact that her brother Gbegiri is also low in calories. A serving of Ewedu alone without meat contains only 97 calories!
Let's break down each of the food groups:
Fat content of 4g out of which 10% is cholesterol.
The Carbohydrate content is 300mg (0.3g) and Protein is 18g. Ewedu comes first to mind. Ewedu leaves are also called Jew's mallow and have been used
for many medicinal purposes.

Snails

The calories in snail aren't always too accurate,because different snails come in different sizes.
This, however, is an estimate of the average snail which weighs about 100 grams. 1 snail contains
90 calories. Of this, 1g is fat, 16g is protein and Carbs comes to 2g. So while it is a healthy food; relatively low in Carbs and Fat, remember it's high in calories.

Fried Plantain

1 Slice of Fried plantain contains 68 calories

Wheat Flour

1 cup of wheat flour contains 455 calories and.the nutritional values are as follows.
Carbohydrates 96g, Protein 12.9g and Fat 1.2g.

Boiled or Roast Corn

A large corn cob between 7 to 9 inches in length contains 123 calories of which 80 percent is Carbohydrate. In a medium sized cob of corn, between 6 and 7 inches in length, you can expect about 88 calories and 80 percent Carbs. In a small corn cob, about 5.5 to 6 inches in length, there are about 63 calories.

Nice1
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by JaneKenedy: 6:28am On Mar 30, 2016
One question though,our fore father's hav bn feeding on these food, and yet, they were healthy even till they passed on......and these ppl came and are condemning most of Our foods, calling them colesterol rich food, and stuffs like that,...they hv been eating Healthy food, yeees accordibg to them ( the westerners) and they want to change our food habits......but y are they the one suffering from all these ailments, they hv the highest no of heart attack patients, diabetes type 1&2, even strokes, etc , even highest birth defect cases and these disease conditions are gradually becoming rampant here, ever since we started following in their food steps......we are not d same in everything, our geographical settlement changed us. We should eat our native food. Our bodies are use to them...period.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by lepasharon(f): 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2016
I am trying to gain weight and African foods are perfect cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by lepasharon(f): 1:35pm On Mar 30, 2016
Not everyone is trying to loose weight ya know..see comments

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by jany(f): 2:31pm On Apr 02, 2016
Lets deliver our local Nigerian cuisine to you.

www.enjoyurmouth.com
Nigeria's No.1 Online Food Court

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Churchillsaug(m): 4:13pm On Apr 15, 2016
engrj:

CO-INCIDENCE OF LIFE: 1. CHURCH has 6 letters so does MOSQUE. 2. BIBLE has 5 letters so does QURAN. 3. LIFE has 4 letters so does DEAD. 4. HATE has 4 letters, so does LOVE. 5. ENEMIES has 7, so does FRIENDS. 6. LYING has 5, so does TRUTH. 7. HURT has 4, so does HEAL. 8. NEGATIVE has 8, so does POSITIVE. 9. FAILURE has 7, so does SUCCESS. 10. BELOW has 5, but so does ABOVE. 11. CRY has 3 letters so does JOY. 12. ANGER has 5 so does HAPPY. 13. RIGHT has 5 so does WRONG. 14. RICH has 4 so does POOR. 15. FAIL has 4 so does PASS 16. KNOWLEDGE has 9 so does IGNORANCE. Are they all by Co-incidence? We should Choose wisely, this means LIFE is like a Double-Edged Sword. Do you Agree
i concur
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Ochiz(f): 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Calorie is the unit of energy and everything contains calories even coal, metal etc. All food contains calories and no food groups should be avoided cos of calorie, we just need to learn how to properly portion all our intake. Telling people to avoid Egusi and eat Ewudu to lose weight is not really really right. If u eat less food than ur body needs u will NOT lose weight. If U avoid carbs you will not have energy and will always feel irritatable and angry, (where do u think a hungry man is an angry man came from?) If u avoid fat, ur skin will scale and any weight lose will lead to sagging skin. I speak from experience and science. Finally, learn to count ur calories. For weight lose, only 4 elements/food groups are important,1 Protein,2Carbohydrates(Carbs for short) 3 Fats, 4 Alcohol. The smallest particle of Protein and Carborhydrates contains 4 calories. Fat(inclusing ALL OILS, peanuts(we call them groundnuts) )etc contain 9 calories. Alcohol contains 7. That is, one gram of each of them food groups contain that amount of calories. Other nutrients usually listed on a food label are not important except for sodium. Sodium is important cos it's responsible for water retention, this information is vital for professional athletes, models and bodybuilders. It is the reason females' weight fluctuate from week to week... Period /Ovulation bloating etc. Reducing sodium(sorry common salt) will cause as much as 5kg from in water weight in a week. For people desiring to lose weight, make protein ur the biggest part of Ur meal. Oh, one cup of white rice is NOT 60..something calories please. Please also note that u can over eat on vegetable and fruits cause they are all Carbs. Just get a good kitchen measurement, weight everything that crosses ur month, make sure u don't eat more than 2000cals per day, reduce ur calories intake by 100 every 2 week. That is, eat 2000cals for 2 weeks, next eat 1900kals. The weight will drop. Note that ur can lose weight WITHOUT exercise, by watching what you eat. but with exercise you will LOSE FAT... look lean and toned. I'm tired of typing jare. Holla for more indept information. I know some will like to know how to measure their food. Cook one cup of rice, divide it into two, u can eat a food of that size TWO times per day. Still hungry? Eat not more than 5 garden eggs and 2 cucumbers.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by duniya75(f): 4:13pm On Aug 29, 2016
This information is good. Women especially need this calorie chart of Nigerian foods.
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by stellytwinkle(f): 11:17am On Jul 18, 2018
Hi, my name is Stella and I am the CEO of 1000 by 200 initiative.
1000 for 200 initiative is a platform aimed at empowering all at a very little cost.
So, for #1,000, you would get to learn 200 recipes and ideas! Amazing, isn't it?
Learning would take place in the following forms:
1. Audios
2. Visuals ( pictures )
3. Audio - Visuals ( videos ).
Experts would take you on a one - on - one training.
These recipes and ideas are divided into the following categories:
Category 1: SNACKS - 25 Items
Category 2: SOUPS - 25 items
Category 3: DRINKS - 20 items
Category 4: ICE CREAM - 20 items
Category 5:CAKES - 20 items
Category 6: SMOOTHIES - 20 items
Category 7: DISHES - 20 items
Category 8: RESTAURANT DELICACIES - 10 items
Category 9: HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS - 10 items
Category 10: WIG MAKING - 10 items
Category 11: BEAD MAKING - 10 items
Category 12: EXTRAS - 10 items
These items sums up to 200.
Training would be on for 3 weeks.
Price: #1000
Date : August 7th - August 27th
Time : 3pm - 5pm daily
Venue: WhatsApp
Interested persons should pay the sum of #1,000 to this account:
Account no: 0214302005
Bank name: GTBank
Account name: Ukpabio Stella
After payment, send in your name, phone number and proof of payment to 08183615538. After confirmation, you would be automatically added to the group.
Details of items to be learnt would be made available to you on the platform once payment has been made.
Don't miss this opportunity!!!
1000 for 200 initiative - Changing lives
Re: Nigerian Foods And Their Calorie Contents by Nedlog01(m): 3:38pm On Aug 09, 2020
Hi, There is now a platform created to support and grow agricultural and food related brands. It is called The Chicken Farm. Register today with: https://www.thechickenfarm.com.ng/register/TCU20GOL4
It is a site that connects buyers and sellers of chicken products. Products including: Poultry, Fast Food, Equipment, Feed etc can all be sold and bought on the site as long as they relate to chicken.
It's all free.

stellytwinkle:
Hi, my name is Stella and I am the CEO of 1000 by 200 initiative.
1000 for 200 initiative is a platform aimed at empowering all at a very little cost.
So, for #1,000, you would get to learn 200 recipes and ideas! Amazing, isn't it?
Learning would take place in the following forms:
1. Audios
2. Visuals ( pictures )
3. Audio - Visuals ( videos ).
Experts would take you on a one - on - one training.
These recipes and ideas are divided into the following categories:
Category 1: SNACKS - 25 Items
Category 2: SOUPS - 25 items
Category 3: DRINKS - 20 items
Category 4: ICE CREAM - 20 items
Category 5:CAKES - 20 items
Category 6: SMOOTHIES - 20 items
Category 7: DISHES - 20 items
Category 8: RESTAURANT DELICACIES - 10 items
Category 9: HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS - 10 items
Category 10: WIG MAKING - 10 items
Category 11: BEAD MAKING - 10 items
Category 12: EXTRAS - 10 items
These items sums up to 200.
Training would be on for 3 weeks.
Price: #1000
Date : August 7th - August 27th
Time : 3pm - 5pm daily
Venue: WhatsApp
Interested persons should pay the sum of #1,000 to this account:
Account no: 0214302005
Bank name: GTBank
Account name: Ukpabio Stella
After payment, send in your name, phone number and proof of payment to 08183615538. After confirmation, you would be automatically added to the group.
Details of items to be learnt would be made available to you on the platform once payment has been made.
Don't miss this opportunity!!!
1000 for 200 initiative - Changing lives

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

17 Health Benefits Of Egg Plant (garden Egg) / Tough Meat. How Do I Make It Soft? / Looking For A Thread? Please Look In Here. (Food Library)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.