Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! (1117 Views)

Buhari Must Probe Fashola For Spending Taxpayers’ Money On His Website / Okonjo-iweala Responds To Oshiomhole's Accusation That She Spent N1bn Of Govt Mo / James Ibori: UK Taxpayers Face Huge Bill To Recover Profits From £50m Fraudster (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 10:31am On Oct 25, 2013
[size=18pt]Oduah approved purchase of N255m bulletproof cars – NCAA[/size]

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority on Thursday told the House of Representatives Committee on Aviation that the Ministry of Aviation approved the controversial purchase of the N255m bulletproof cars for Ms Stella Oduah.

The Director of Aerodrome in the NCAA, Mr. Joyce Nkem-Akonam, made this known during the committee’s public sitting in Abuja.

Nkem-Akonam, who handled the transaction as the acting managing director of the NCAA, had made spirited efforts to defend the purchase.

He told the committee members that since “Leased financing, not direct financing, was adopted to procure the vehicles,” the agency breached no law.

When asked if leased financing was not a commitment that the NCAA would still pay for the vehicles, he said it did not mean that it was extra-budgetary spending.

Facing a barrage of questions from the committee members, he later said the NCAA got approval from the Aviation ministry.

BPE faults NCAA, says it wasn’t contacted
But, the Bureau for Public Procurement faulted him when it disputed the claim that the contract for the cars followed due process.

An official of the BPP, who represented the Director-General, Mr. Ayo Aderigbigbe, told the committee that no ministry had powers to approve any expenditure above N100m.

“A ministerial tenders board can approve expenditure of N100m and below, but if it is above N100m, it must go before the Federal Executive Council,” he explained.

The BPP official also surprised the committee members when he disclosed that the agency was never contacted by the NCAA over the car purchase.

He said, “We have nothing to forward to the committee on this matter. We have no information on the purchase of the two vehicles or the contract in question.”

The Director-General of the NCAA, Capt. Fola Akintuotu, had earlier told the committee that he was not in charge of affairs when the transaction took place.

He said he assumed duties on August 14, after the expenditure had been done.

But there was a mild drama when the committee asked him whether the earlier explanation of the minister’s aide (Joe Obi) that the cars were bought because the life of Oduah was in danger was correct.

“I can’t speak for the SA(Special Adviser) to the minister,” he responded.

Again, he was asked whether a minister was entitled to the type of protection the cars were meant to serve.

To this, he said, “I believe that is a hypothetical question and I cannot answer it.”

Minister can’t cut short visit to Israel
Oduah, who had earlier been summoned by the committee to appear before it on Thursday, was represented by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Mr. George Ossi.

He explained that the minister could not attend the sitting because she was already in Israel when a letter inviting her reached the ministry.

According to him, the letter dated October 17, got to the ministry on October 22.

He said, “The minister had already left the country. She transmitted a scanned copy of her reply from Israel.

“She is leading the Nigerian delegation to Israel to sign a Bilateral Air Services Agreement.

“She cannot cut short her visit to Israel because they will most probably sign the BASA on Monday (next week).”

N1bn committed to cars by NCAA
Fresh facts emerged during the committee’s sitting on how the NCAA made a commitment of “over N1bn” to procure vehicles for security and operational purposes this year without appropriation by the National Assembly.

The agency bought 54 vehicles for N643.1m under “Leased Financing” entered into with the First Bank Plc. These included the controversial N255m bulletproof cars.

The total budget approved by the National Assembly for NCAA’s vehicles this year is N240m.

The National Assembly’s figure (N240m) is for 25 vehicles, excluding the two bulletproof cars.

The Aviation committee, which worked on the budget of the agency, had rejected the NCAA’s request to buy the bulletproof cars.

The NCAA later side-tracked the National Assembly to seek the approval of the Ministry of Aviation to purchase the cars.

More revelations indicated that the NCAA applied to buy each of the bulletproof cars at N70m.

However, it later opted to pay N127.5m for each car, totalling N255m for the two.

This brought the “extra-budgetary” expenditure of the NCAA on vehicles this year to N643.1m.

The committee discovered that the N643.1m was a loan taken from the First Bank Plc and excluded interest, charges and other costs built into the terms of the agreement.

A member of the panel, Mr. Mohammed Wudil, said, “What has come to light is that, if you calculate and include all the charges, the NCAA has committed about N1bn of public funds to these vehicles.”

1999 Constitution breached—Panel
The committee, which is headed by Mrs. Nkiruka Onyejeocha, said the “NCAA clearly committed an illegality and breached the 1999 Constitution by spending without appropriation by the National Assembly.”

The committee later ruled that Oduah must appear unfailingly on Tuesday.

“Our ruling is that the minister must be here on Tuesday,” Onyejeocha said. She directed the NCAA to also appear on Tuesday with all its bank statements.

APC, TMG caution FG
The All Progressives Congress and the Transition Monitoring Group have warned against any attempt by spin doctors in the Ministry of Aviation to use politics as a cover-up for the car scandal.

In separate statements in Abuja on Thursday, the APC and the TMG asked the government to get to the root of the matter and penalise those involved in it.

The APC, in a statement by its Interim National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said it was most unconscionable for anyone to blame the opposition for the widespread outcry against “the monumental corruption and abuse of office engendered by the scandal.”

Mohammed said the opposition, in particular, should not be blamed for the justifiable indignation of most Nigerians to the scandal, as “Yakubu Dati, who goes by the title of ‘coordinating spokesperson for the Aviation Ministry’ tried to do in his winding postulation on the scandal.”

He added, ‘’What Dati and his co-spin doctors tried to do is to play on President Goodluck Jonathan’s insecurity as far as 2015 elections are concerned.

“This is very insulting not only to Nigerians but also to the President himself, and it will not sell. After all, attempts to blame the opposition for the lingering ASUU strike has also failed.

“In any case, what is the business of a public servant, who is supposed to be apolitical, about whether a President is re-elected or not?”

Mohammed said Jonathan had again failed to live up to expectation by allowing clowns to seek to pull the wool over the eyes of Nigerians in the name of defending the indefensible.

He wondered why Jonathan would engage in a diversionary and exculpatory strategy of setting up a panel to investigate the scandal, when there were statutory bodies empowered by law to do so.

Mohammed said, ‘’There is precedent on how to handle such a matter. In case President Jonathan has forgotten, his then boss, President Umaru Yar’Adua(late), sacked Adenike Grange and Gabriel Aduku, Minister of Health and Minister of State for Health respectively, for spending part of the ministry’s unspent budget.

“The Permanent Secretary and other top officials of the ministry were also suspended when the issue broke out. No panel was set up before this action was taken.”

Also, the TMG said it was shocked at the shameful and embarrassing transaction and acquisition of the armoured cars for Oduah.

It said it was even more shocking that at a time like this when Nigerians had been calling on Jonathan to sanction the minister, he found it comfortable to make her a leading member of his entourage to Israel on pilgrimage.

The TMG, in a statement by its Chairman, Ibrahim Zikirullahi, and Publicity Secretary, Eddy Ezurike , said it was “not at all surprised at the rash response by the minister to the purported ‘query’ issued her by the President.”

It added, “Given our governance system, it may well be the person issuing the query is the same person providing answers.”

The TMG urged the anti-corruption agencies in the country to quickly investigate “this financial and executive recklessness” in the aviation sector

In Lagos, the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders described the probe panel as diversionary.

The Executive Chairman, CACOL, Mr. Debo Adeniran, in a statement on Thursday, alleged that the panel was meant to divert the attention of Nigerians from the issue at stake.

He said, “The panel is just another attempt to sweep the scandal under the carpet. Nigerians now know better that the probe panel is a way to douse the heat that has followed the revelation of Oduah’s shenanigans in the Aviation sector.

“The panel itself is another way of wasting the scarce resources and man-hour that could have been deployed into doing something more meaningful. All these diversionary panels make a mess of President Jonathan’s purported fight against corruption.”

Source:
http://www.punchng.com/news/oduah-approved-purchase-of-n255m-bulletproof-cars-ncaa/

1 Like

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by blacksta(m): 10:33am On Oct 25, 2013
I tire for this matter grin

Authoritative stealing - It is clearly confirms - these people are trying to outdo themselves when it comes to stealing

The same people will attend church on sunday - Raising hands in the air praising God.

Some of them are in Israel as i write. This is when i wish i was a god. I wont wait till judgement day. Your suffering will surely start on earth.

1 Like

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 10:36am On Oct 25, 2013
blacksta: I tire for this matter grin

Authoritative stealing - It is clearly confirms - these people are trying to outdo themselves when it comes to stealing

The same people will attend church on sunday - Raising hands in the air praising God.

GBAM!
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 10:41am On Oct 25, 2013
The NCAA also spent N7.5m (£30K) on average on buying vehicles.

What vehicles are they buying for public officials that cost £30K?

I am sure most of the vehicles are not even bought at all or are second hand. Then in another 3 years would sell it to themselves for N300K (£1.3K).

2 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by taharqa: 10:45am On Oct 25, 2013
STOP peddling lies, LIAR.... Read yr article again: that amount was for d 54 cars NCAA wanted to buy, including d 2 Armour cars. We know d whole Scheme is WASTEFUL and there almost certainly is Fraud smwhere, but no need to sugarcoat it. It is clearly stated in yr article...
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by taharqa: 10:50am On Oct 25, 2013
By d way @OP and 'Corruption Crusader', d LASG wud spend bw #170-#180bn to construct d 49km Lekki-Epe Rd, instead of about #30-#40bn. This is FACT; and there are at least 3 threads on d Politics section on this FRAUD and WASTE... Wonda why a Voltron like yrself hv not seen nor commented on it..
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by hercules07: 10:58am On Oct 25, 2013
taharqa: By d way @OP and 'Corruption Crusader', d LASG wud spend bw #170-#180bn to construct d 49km Lekki-Epe Rd, instead of about #30-#40bn. This is FACT; and there are at least 3 threads on d Politics section on this FRAUD and WASTE... Wonda why a Voltron like yrself hv not seen nor commented on it..

Actually the total expenditure from the LASG on lekki is #28 billion Naira, broken as follows, #5B loan, #15B buyback, #8B for loan servicing and third party issues, I do not know where you got #170Billion Naira. http://www.tellng.com/business/question-over-lekki-concession-buy-back

4 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Chanchit: 10:58am On Oct 25, 2013
Choi...! This one wei Oga Sagamite don follow open thread on Sister Stella, the only advice I have for Pro-Stella supporters is that they should thread easy on Sagamite's thread o, cos he's always ready. That guy is gifted in prolonging wahala.

3 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by israel007: 11:04am On Oct 25, 2013
Hmmm
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by fkaz(m): 11:08am On Oct 25, 2013
taharqa: By d way @OP and 'Corruption Crusader', d LASG wud spend bw #170-#180bn to construct d 49km Lekki-Epe Rd, instead of about #30-#40bn. This is FACT; and there are at least 3 threads on d Politics section on this FRAUD and WASTE... Wonda why a Voltron like yrself hv not seen nor commented on it..

Fashola/lagos state is always your problem, they are talking of national issue concerning corruption, you are talking of fashola. Is that your new way for self defence?

I think you guys can now leave fola Akintuolu for now

8 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 11:12am On Oct 25, 2013

You are a person!

Why are you telling me this?

4 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by grafikii: 11:15am On Oct 25, 2013
hercules07:

Actually the total expenditure from the LASG on lekki is #28 billion Naira, broken as follows, #5B loan, #15B buyback, #8B for loan servicing and third party issues, I do not know where you got #170Billion Naira. http://www.tellng.com/business/question-over-lekki-concession-buy-back
PointB' aka taharqa is a shameless lair

2 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by gurnam: 11:19am On Oct 25, 2013
There is going to be some serious blood letting on this thread.....I can perceive it already. grin
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by gbanikiti(m): 11:25am On Oct 25, 2013
Chanchit: Choi...! This one wei Oga Sagamite don follow open thread on Sister Stella, the only advice I have for Pro-Stella supporters is that they should thread easy on Sagamite's thread o, cos he's always ready. That guy is gifted in prolonging wahala.
Lol! Pro Jonathanians are in deep shyte! I need to go back to the viewers' corner and count how many times the word "person" will be mentioned on this thread.
Happy Fucktardeous viewing! cheesy

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 11:26am On Oct 25, 2013
Chanchit: Choi...! This one wei Oga Sagamite don follow open thread on Sister Stella, the only advice I have for Pro-Stella supporters is that they should thread easy on Sagamite's thread o, cos he's always ready. That guy is gifted in prolonging wahala.

When the story first broke, the fucktards said she had no say in buying the cars that it was a set-up because she is Igbo and refurbished Enugu Airport to be International.

Those are the fucktards our education system churn out.

5 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by taharqa: 12:04pm On Oct 25, 2013
hercules07:

Actuali, it is as follows: #15bn to 'buy back' a FAILED concession when d Concessionaire shld be d ones paying LASG; #6.8bn and #3.5bn to pay back d debts incurred by d FAILED Concessionaire (d very 1st time I hv ever heard a party paying d debts of another party that Failed to keep to d terms of an agreement); #5bn that d LASG initiali paid to d Concessionaires at d start of d Scam; #87.7bn that d LASG intends to borrow tru placing a Bond in order to 'complete' the FAILED road project; #35bn which d Concessionaires said they already spent on d road (ok, #30bn ie minus d #5bn which d LASG initiali gave them and which I hv already counted); and, then a still undisclosed amount of money running in the billions which d Concessionaires already got from Toll fees in almost 3 yrs of collecting Tolls from a Project they were not supposed to collect a kobo until d entire Road project is done (according to a Survey conducted by this same Concessionaires suggested a Toll revenue of an Average of #4.2bn Annually from ONLY ONE Toll plaza). You may now ADD up, and see if you wud not have within d neighbourhood of #170- #180bn that wud hv bn spent by both d LASG and d Concessionaire in order to build a 49km Road!!!.... By d way, EVERY FIGURE listed above came directly from d mouth of d Commissioners of Finance, Economy and Works of d LASG... I expect yr Response, unlike what you did in that other thread by running away after having yr questn answered. You may THANK me later...
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by taharqa: 12:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person!

Why are you telling me this?
I was just trying to say that you are a Bladdi HYPOCRITE; and seeing what you just tried pulling by ascribing d said sum to 2 cars instead of d 54 so CLEARLY started in yr own article (a comment you didn't even respond to), one wud also say that you are a LIAR as well.... You too may THANK me later..
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by taharqa: 12:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
fkaz:

Fashola/lagos state is always your problem, they are talking of national issue concerning corruption, you are talking of fashola. Is that your new way for self defence?

I think you guys can now leave fola Akintuolu for now
You guys are so SHAMELESS, it is almost Pathetic. National issues, you said? Oho! So corruption has 'National' and 'sub-National' issues NOW, abi?? And we must ONLY be concerned about d 'National' ones, faaa??..... DONKEY, we are talking about d spending of #170bn- #180bn to construct a 49km Road in yr name for a project that shldn't cost more than #30bn- #40bn (after which you wud continue paying Toll fees from yr nose from 3 Toll Plazas built in such a relatively SHORT stretch of Road UNTIL at least 'they' hv bn able to recover d #170bn they took from you to build it in d 1st place!!), and you are lecturing us about 'National' and 'sub-National' corruption(s)... #wherethehelldidtheseCLOWNScomefrom

2 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by hercules07: 12:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
taharqa: Actuali, it is as follows: #15bn to 'buy back' a FAILED concession when d Concessionaire shld be d ones paying LASG; #6.8bn and #3.5bn to pay back d debts incurred by d FAILED Concessionaire (d very 1st time I hv ever heard a party paying d debts of another party that Failed to keep to d terms of an agreement); #5bn that d LASG initiali paid to d Concessionaires at d start of d Scam; #87.7bn that d LASG intends to borrow tru placing a Bond in order to 'complete' the FAILED road project; #35bn which d Concessionaires said they already spent on d road (ok, #30bn ie minus d #5bn which d LASG initiali gave them and which I hv already counted); and, then a still undisclosed amount of money running in the billions which d Concessionaires already got from Toll fees in almost 3 yrs of collecting Tolls from a Project they were not supposed to collect a kobo until d entire Road project is done (according to a Survey conducted by this same Concessionaires suggested a Toll revenue of an Average of #4.2bn Annually from ONLY ONE Toll plaza). You may now ADD up, and see if you wud not have within d neighbourhood of #170- #180bn that wud hv bn spent by both d LASG and d Concessionaire in order to build a 49km Road!!!.... By d way, EVERY FIGURE listed above came directly from d mouth of d Commissioners of Finance, Economy and Works of d LASG... I expect yr Response, unlike what you did in that other thread by running away after having yr questn answered. You may THANK me later...

Let us break it down, the total project is 70Km and not the 49Km you posited above, the total project includes the Lekki coastal road as well, now, so far the LASG has spent #28B on approximately 20Km of road (begining of Ozumba Mbadiwe to the present point that LCC is now), out of the #28B, LASG has given LCC #20B (#15B buyback and initial #5B), so there is no need to add the #30B of LCC to the #28B of LASG, the balance of #10B and profit for the LCC is the Toll they have collected in the last 3 years on that road. So, LCC spent #30B, lagos reimbursed #20B plus the profit from tolls. Now, Lagos is going to borrow #88B, if we add that to #28B, the total cost to Lagos of a 70km road is #116B, divide #116B by 70 and you get #1.62B per Km, now your GEJ is gonna spend #1.67B per Km on the Lagos Ibadan expressway (167B/100km).

3 Likes

Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by bloggernaija: 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
What I find annoying is the way these people have been able to embed themselves in that ministry so quick and so soon.
From what I just read above,
Most of the corruption took place when there wasn't any standing NCAA director.
And this car thing is barely scratching the surface.
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by fkaz(m): 12:59pm On Oct 25, 2013
taharqa: You guys are so SHAMELESS, it is almost Pathetic. National issues, you said? Oho! So corruption has 'National' and 'sub-National' issues NOW, abi?? And we must ONLY be concerned about d 'National' ones, faaa??..... DONKEY, we are talking about d spending of #170bn- #180bn to construct a 49km Road in yr name for a project that shldn't cost more than #30bn- #40bn (after which you wud continue paying Toll fees from yr nose from 3 Toll Plazas built in such a relatively SHORT stretch of Road UNTIL at least 'they' hv bn able to recover d #170bn they took from you to build it in d 1st place!!), and you are lecturing us about 'National' and 'sub-National' corruption(s)... #wherethehelldidtheseCLOWNScomefrom

the thread topic is talk about corruption in aviation sector which is a national embarrassment to the country. You are talking of lagos state, what is your problem with fashola? Why not talk about akwa-ibom, Abia, benue, adamawa, kogi,ondo etc.

BTW don't you have state of origin?
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
These idioots would soon flood this place defending their second Jesus on earth.
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
taharqa: I was just trying to say that you are a Bladdi HYPOCRITE; and seeing what you just tried pulling by ascribing d said sum to 2 cars instead of d 54 so CLEARLY started in yr own article (a comment you didn't even respond to), one wud also say that you are a LIAR as well.... You too may THANK me later..

You are a person!

How is what you said relevant to this stealing?

Your moronic arsse thinks you are talking to another failed product like yourself that you can be saying "what about your own"?

Cretin!
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some fucktards need to be screwed!!!!
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by ballabriggs: 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
Madam Vampire Oduah, CFR, CRIMINAL OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC.

She is a thief and you can see it in the number of contradictory statements she has been issuing. It is all about desperately trying to cover her shameful ways.

Onyeosi, hardened criminal.
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 4:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
2s£xy:
Some fucktards need to be screwed!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Sagamite(m): 4:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
ballabriggs: Madam Vampire Oduah, CFR, CRIMINAL OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC.

She is a thief and you can see it in the number of contradictory statements she has been issuing. It is all about desperately trying to cover her shameful ways.

Onyeosi, hardened criminal.

It is all part of their mind games.

The fucktards are employing jobless fucktards like taharqa to go online to manage image by denials, lies, distraction, diversion, claiming ethnic victimisation or employing strawmans.

Their boss is called Reno Omokri.

[size=14pt]Official Denial, Appeal To Ethnicity, Diversionary Publications And Media Blackmail: Desperate Measures Employed By Mrs. Oduah To Stave Off BMW Scandal[/size]

When SaharaReporters broke the news of the scandalous purchase of two BMW armoured Cars by the cash-strapped Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), the Minister of Aviation, Mrs. Stella Oduah and her collaborators went silent, hoping that the two-day Muslim public holiday would blunt the report.

Instead of responding the allegations Mrs. Oduah reportedly called on the Reno Omokri, the social media man at the Presidential Villa to handle scandal.

Reno's job includes using a loose network of paid "anti-bloggers" to attack the credibility of such reports by leaving comments on Facebook, Twitter, Blackberry Messengers and the comments sections of websites.

The “anti-bloggers” went straight to work by claiming that Mrs. Oduah’s signature was not found on the documents SaharaReporters published and as such, that she could not have been involved. As that argument didn't seem to hold water, they quickly started a new line of argument to the effect that she was sufficiently wealthy before becoming a minister and thus could afford the cars.

That line of argument was the first official reaction from the minister's office through the spokesperson of the Federal Airports Authority, Yakubu Datti.

If Mrs. Oduah thought Mr. Datti's intervention would work, it turned out to be a failure as the response outraged the Nigerian public which was reeling from recent accidents in the aviation sector.

By Wednesday, Mrs. Oduah had instructed her media aide, Joe Obi, to own up to the purchase of the cars but to claim that they were made because the minister faced “imminent threats” from certain forces in the aviation sector. While the admission was aimed at creating a sense of siege and thus capitalize on the insecurity in the country, that argument only incensed more people, such that, Presidency sources said, President Goodluck Jonathan began asking questions on what to do to appease Mrs. Oduah’s enemies.

As the condemnation grew, Mrs. Oduah reached out to leaders of Aka-Ikenga, an Igbo social cultural group, to help frame it as an "ethnic issue" in view of the fact that the two main culprits in the transaction are Igbos. She figured a response by Aka-Ikenga would scare off the public and help mobilize her ethnic group in support of the corruption involved in the car purchase. Mr. Omokri's crew also went on to strengthen that argument, attacking newspapers, websites and blogs republishing the stories as being "anti-Igbo."

They claimed the attack on Mrs.Odua was because she upgraded the Enugu Airport to an International Airport
. Even though this argument helped mobilize some unsuspecting Nigerians, it didn't serve her too well as several individuals from her ethnic group condemned the purchases.

Meanwhile, several newspapers had picked up the story. By Thursday, Mrs. Oduah had urged her crew to try another trick: getting some blogs to publish the story that the Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, had bought three armored cars for N600 million, one of which he gave to his predecessor, Bola Tinubu.

The only lacunae with the strategy was that Mrs. Oduah's supporters could not produce the compelling evidence to prove that Fashola bought the cars, but even if that were to be true, many argued, it could not be used to justify the Minister’s monumental corruption.

By Friday Mrs. Oduah tried another strategy: she invited the media to a press briefing in Abuja. However, lacking the courage to come out of her office to address the media, she sent the Director General of the NCAA, Fola Akinkuotu to take the stage. A befuddled and clearly confused Akinkuotu then addressed the media in the most bizarre manner, making claims that further embarrassed the Minister as to the rationale for purchasing the cars.

An unprepared Akinkuotu spent more time accusing whistleblowers in his agency for leaking the documents. When he was rounding up the press conference, he promised to take reporters to see the vehicles, but quickly disappeared when two reporters volunteered to follow him.

Later in the night, Mr. Akinkuotu did what most Nigeria officials do best: offer money to newspaper editors to help kill the report. The problem was that most of the newspapers had already concluded production and couldn't reverse their publication.

Dateline Sunday: Mrs. Oduah and media aide, Joe Obi, commissioned some writers to pen articles to defend the minister, blaming union leaders and certain voices critical of her for wanting to destroy the aviation sector. Such an article penned by one "Capt. Ore Kingsley", titled "Why Stella Oduah Must Be Punished" admitted that the BMW purchases were egregious but went on a rant to blame Captain Dele Ore and others for the “gang-up” against the minister.

A few minutes later Mr. Obi had circulated another spurious report claiming that Fashola bought N600 million worth of armored cars, claiming that a Ghanaian website, Modernghana, made and published the findings. But the sad part is that the Mrs. Oduah and her aides didn’t understand that Modernghana.com is an aggregation website that collects news from any source without verifying authenticity.

As of the time of publishing this report, Mrs. Oduah had recruited Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) party elders and the Secretary to the Federal Governmen, Pius Anyim, to embark on outreach to critical segments of the Nigerian society and to help appease her opponents, it is unclear if this will work as President Jonathan has already claimed he wants to look into the scandal.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/official-denial-appeal-ethnicity-diversionary-publications-and-media-blackmail-desperate-m
Re: NCAA Actually Spent N1bn Of Taxpayers Money On Cars, including N255m for 2! by Lagosbabe1: 4:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
This woman is nothing but a thief.

Shame on all the sycophants that have the audacity to support what is clearly a case of public theft.

In a saner environment, she would be cooling off in detention, awaiting trial.

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria Worth Dying For? / Public Holiday In Rivers State For A Week Due. / Jubilation In Adamawa As Nyako Joins APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.