Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (8481 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly / Giving A Quit Notice To A Tenant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by nielfemy(m): 11:40am On Oct 25, 2013
Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Real estate investors and property managers can improve their tenant relations by dealing with tenant issues quickly and fairly. Whether times are good or bad, the cost to re-let a vacant unit can frequently make it a far better investment to retain a tenant who pays their rent on time and is, in all other ways, a good tenant.

Tenant issues can involve complaints on their part, or can require that the property manager or owner deal with the tenant's activities or payment patterns in a way that keeps things on track and rents paid.

The Good: If you have a tenant who is always on time or early with their rent payments, follows all the rules, and is a good property citizen, then you might want to show them that they are valued. Perhaps a coupon to a local restaurant or other small gift now and then would make them feel that they are appreciated. It could make the difference in keeping them when lease expiration rolls around. At the very least, jump right on their maintenance problems and handle their concerns with respect and interest.

The Bad: This could be a tenant who is a chronic complainer, or one who annoys their neighbors on a regular basis. Or, they may pay the rent late frequently. For whatever reason, you will want to document all interaction with them. If there is a neighbor complaint, document it in writing and provide any warnings or other notices in writing as well. If the situation escalates to "the ugly," you'll want to have a record of all your communications with the problem tenant. Always act according to the terms of the lease, as the rules work both ways.

The Ugly: We've now reached the stage where the tenant is not paying rent, or their rule-breaking behavior has become a huge problem. We have decided that we want them out of the unit, and a new less troublesome tenant in the unit as soon as possible. Hopefully, you have thoroughly prepared for this eventuality with your attorney's guidance. Eviction is a relatively speedy process in most states, but that speed is based on the landlord or owner doing everything right and in the correct time frame.

• Have you issued the proper notices to the tenant per your state law?
• In most places, you cannot in any way disturb the property of the tenant, even if they have disappeared.
• If there is no tenant to dispute eviction, or if they lose the dispute, then you will be granted an order of eviction by the court.
• Normally, the order is served after notice by the local sheriff. Again, you cannot open the unit and remove their belongings on your own.
• Be sure to follow the letter of the lease and state law as to how any deposits will be handled, retained or refunded.

Dealing with tenant issues is part of the job of property manager or real estate investor/owner. Preparing for eviction with strong lease documents and the advice of an attorney will make the process run smoother. And, if they are a good tenant, find a way to make them feel appreciated. It could increase your return on investment a lot.

3 Likes

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 25, 2013
How will this make ASUU call off the strike

Cant just believe im the first to comment grin grin grin....Something good is coming today niyen oooocheesy

3 Likes

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
1st of all....go down loooo....1st to comment jor.......hahahahahahahaa..... Dancin skelewu ...Teacher: wat is the name of the scale used for measuring goat meat..... Student: SKELEWU oboy dis skelewu dance dey scatter my head oo...oya skelewu skelewucheesy coutsey of ASUU strike.....
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
No comment but e don reach fp?!!

Op, how much you pay the mod abeg?! undecided undecided
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ejike.chinedu:
1st of all....go down loooo....1st to comment jor.......hahahahahahahaa..... Dancin skelewu cheesy
bro,gwan slip....stop browsin with dat your china fone again....grin grin
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by milez7(m): 1:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some tenants dey wen be 'ugly',buh u can't just get them out of your property
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by gluv01(f): 1:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
In Nigeria

The good- The one that sweeps the front of the compound everyday or removes all the clothes in the clothing line if it's raining or about to.
The bad- the one that plays music and let the beats drop so loud
The ugly- the one who's moanings and groanings at night will wake up the neighbourstongue tongue

4 Likes

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
Taylor184: bro,gwan slip....stop browsin with dat your china fone again....grin grin
i dnt blame u...its ASUU i blame....pervert!!
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Crexus: 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
All these things no dey work for here oo...na area boys go carry your kaya throw way for titi...
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Aromas: 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin Baba Jummy no play with money o, haaaaaaaaaaaaaa dat ma landlord hum!!!!!!! Don't know yours but anyway shaa front page tinz
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by mrperfect(m): 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ejike.chinedu:
i dnt blame u...its ASUU i blame....pervert!!
grin grin grin...dont wori,ur time will soon come ok?
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by ujahboy(m): 1:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
I just rember ma rent wil be expiring next month, so ma landlord is in trouble cos he has to wait for ASUU to pay me for nt staying in d room for four months or else no pay for him too... Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Donsammi(m): 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ejike.chinedu:
1st of all....go down loooo....1st to comment jor.......hahahahahahahaa..... Dancin skelewu ...Teacher: wat is the name of the scale used for measuring goat meat..... Student: SKELEWU oboy dis skelewu dance dey scatter my head oo...oya skelewu skelewucheesy coutsey of ASUU strike.....
Bros Which Weed make ur condition worse?
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Taylor184: grin grin grin...dont wori,ur time will soon come ok?
meaning
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Donsammi: Bros Which Weed make ur condition worse?
its d weed of ASUU strike dat is over 116 yrs old....oya skelewu skelewu........oya skelewu skelewu cheesy cheesy cheesy wink
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
In naija, the ratio of the bad/ugly to the good tenants is 90:10 angry

Some tenants can piss you the fùck off. Late payment. Excess volumes to their music. Coming back late drunk as fùck. Arggghhhhhh angry

Ejike.chinedu:

No wonder you're dumb. This your morónic display is the reason why ASUU should be on strike, so that they can make available better procedures to make sure yaba left inmates like you are not provided with access to the internet. angry

1 Like

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
buhahahahaha i never pay my landlord, i just runaway anytime the man show....hahahaha sote the man dey treaten me, when i don stay 6 months without pay, i go carry me property run one day for night.. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy the man think say him get brain embarassed cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Richiez(m): 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some people still use very expensive phones, buy very expensive cars, wears and so on...yet they still pay house rent why
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by mister419: 1:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good,, room and board8)
Bad,, pay rent angry angry
Ugly,, the landlord sad sad
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by mister419: 1:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
Emzybrown: buhahahahaha i never pay my landlord, i just runaway anytime the man show....hahahaha sote the man dey treaten me, when i don stay 6 months without pay, i go carry me property run one day for night.. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy the man think say him get brain embarassed cry cry cry cry

cool
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by mysticgal(f): 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
good:you get hope of toasing ya neighbour/lanlord pickin,,,,bad/ugly: fight gan,if you no get mouth your own na 'it is finished'and probably when you are living opposite or beside a witchundecided
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Rawpidgin(m): 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
evertbody in my hood belongs to the 'bad' class
enter my compound 4 night u go become deef with different generator sound
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rawpidgin: evertbody in my hood belongs to the 'bad' class
enter my compound 4 night u go become deef with different generator sound
[quote][/quote]hw dat be their fault? Blame Phcn for dat
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by zubby29(m): 2:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
gluv01: In Nigeria

The good- The one that sweeps the front of the compound everyday or removes all the clothes in the clothing line if it's raining or about to.
The bad- the one that plays music and let the beats drop so loud
The ugly- the one who's moanings and groanings at night will wake up the neighbourstongue tongue
hmm glov what can of moaning are u talking aboy here

1 Like

Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by DonHummer(m): 3:59pm On Oct 25, 2013
came here to read stories of how people fight with their landlords and fellow tenants..
#so disappointed
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by kefmawin: 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
There is a 2 Bed Room Flat For Rent in Abuja

The house is in a block of Flat in Garki Area 3. Abuja

The two rooms and two Toilets and Bathrooms have tiles

Stable water and Electricity supply

It is first come first serve.

Cost: N1,100,000 Per annum

Call 08035966124
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Reserved
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by jimkramar: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2013
FIRST PAGE INS :DFIRST PAGE INS
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by SunnyOhams: 5:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
My landlady devises different means to get us paying for one thing or the other. The most disturbing is the utility bill which she does"nt allow any tenant to see yet she increases the charges for us almost every month. Wot do u advice sir?
Re: Tenant Issues - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly by drdams: 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
That moment when ur tenant start prayers 10pm and stops 4am in very high frequency..
And when u complain, he calls u evil landlord and even pray against u in loud voices for u to hear...

Ok.. Take ur change, e says no, dat e will only leave if paid agreement and agent fees together with the change..

It suckssss.. I cant wait for May 2015 to com..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Own A House With 5million Naira Only! / Building Material Suppliers And Contractors Needed For 2 Nos 3 Bdrms (picts) / Stop Looking For Doors Everywhere! Check These (PICs) +2348074993666

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.