Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Defend Your Programming Language - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Defend Your Programming Language (16352 Views)

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) / Operation Prove Your Programming Skills / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defend Your Programming Language by rancetech(m): 6:57pm On Jul 08, 2008
Yes, defend your programming language. Some programmers go about bragging about the programming language they program with, and also condemning others. Especially the so-called easy to use ones. So those of you who use easy-to-use programming language, this is an opportunity to defend them now.

I for one think that, irrespective of the language you use, the question really is, what can u do with it & what have you done with it?
I use VB.NET 2003. I use it to design customized application for businesses. I also extend my expertise to the web with asp.net and ado.net using my VB.NET experience. VB.NET has made me a happy boy, thanks to Microsoft.

So I recommend VB.NET to anyone who wants to do programming. I'm proud of it.

1 Like

Re: Defend Your Programming Language by javalove(m): 4:55pm On Jul 09, 2008
hisses
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by rancetech(m): 7:39pm On Jul 09, 2008
Why the hiss? All I asked was a simple question, why do you think your language is superior to others?

Your name obviously depicts that u're a java addict, so tell me what you can do with java that I can't do with .NET.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by malone5923(m): 8:24am On Jul 10, 2008
Programming Language: JAVA.
Why the hiss? All I asked was a simple question, why do you think your language is superior to others?

Your name obviously depicts that u're a java addict, so tell me what you can do with java that I can't do with .NET.
Try portability for starters.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by javalove(m): 9:49am On Jul 10, 2008
wen did u start programming? No hating ooo just want to know. By the time u start real life programming, u will have no business with language as long as the job is done perfectly and ur customers are satisfied. As i java programmer, i have never had the cause to look elsewhere for help. Java gives me all i want. if ur .net gives u same, why dont u concentrate on it, learn more so u can become better.

You wont succeed starting this childish topic. once again hisses
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by kanirip: 10:02am On Jul 10, 2008
Make I enter pidgin for this 1!

I nowa finish design my own language o but e name na Tofa. Tofa Programming Language. The ting suppose join the features of Chafa, Sea++ and Yahoozee!

Make una tink of am na! The ting gon fit work anywhere, small pikin go fit understand am and the ting go dey email shege!!

The rhetoric around development of person own language get as e be!

I don reash the part when dem talk say define properties. I don begin start with all the property when I see for Lekki for one Nollyfilm.

After that 1 na function remain , I don already go 3 party this year so I get plenty fior that 1.

Make una pray for me. Naija must get im own program langauage ni Olorouko Jesu! (AMIN)

Eko O oni baje!!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by javalove(m): 10:18am On Jul 10, 2008
@kanirip

find something nice to eat first. maybe amala and ewedu or tuwo masara. then sleep for like 15hrs. When u wake up, post again and even u will c d difference cheesycheesycheesycheesy Eko oo ni baje oo!!!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by mosconet(m): 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2008
malone5923:

Programming Language: JAVA.
Try portability for starters.

Portability , have u ever tried it ? If you what was ur experience like
The Portability issue is very funny, tell us if you have ever copied ur java class compiled on windows to linux
and it woorks seamlessly without much any ado?
Like ur Java and let others like their .Net it doesnt matter,
Portability is the only song on the mouth of every Java buff, but C#.Net beats Java handsdown in more than 20
ways!!! Go google it and see for urself , is speed, modern features, good construct, power , syntactic sugary that
'll drive any right thinking and neutral developer crazy!!!!
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by malone5923(m): 12:30pm On Jul 10, 2008
Make I enter pidgin for this 1!

I nowa finish design my own language o but e name na Tofa. Tofa Programming Language. The ting suppose join the features of Chafa, Sea++ and Yahoozee!

Make una think of am na! The ting gon fit work anywhere, small pikin go fit understand am and the ting go dey email shege!!

The rhetoric around development of person own language get as e be!

I don reash the part when them talk say define properties. I don begin start with all the property when I see for Lekki for one Nollyfilm.

After that 1 na function remain , I don already go 3 party this year so I get plenty fior that 1.

Make una pray for me. Naija must get im own program langauage ni Olorouko Jesu! (AMIN)

Eko O oni baje!!
I speak pidgin moretimes than I blink my eye still I don't know what you were trying to point out. So please repeat your comment in English and dont write pidgin without explaning it in English again.

Hmm not even a single word did I understand maybe I am not a certified pidgen speaker anymore. Maybe I will so sign up for a course in pidgen and get a professional cerificate from any authorized prometric center. cheesy Those anybody here know one.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by rancetech(m): 1:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
All I wanted was for everyone to say cute things about his or her favorite language and not argue like kids. I've been a professional web & desktop programmer for 8 years now and I've never regretted using VB, and to top it all, Microsoft introduced .NET. Isn't it amazing?

1 Like

Re: Defend Your Programming Language by javarules(m): 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2008
There are no super programming languages, there are only super programmers,

Having said said that, how can u compare Java with C#? let me ask you a question, your father built a house in 1960, since then he has been doing major and minor renovations on the house, changing this and putting that etcetera, now you build a house a house in 2008, and you compare your house to your father's in Elegance, Style and Design, u must be crazy(so sorry to use that word, but u get the point), C# was build with a major aim in mind, treat the fuckups in Java. I have done both languages and I see the differences clearly, but a seasoned Java programmer wont need to go and learn C# because almost all d additions to C# are in his library, created by himself! Just like your Dad don't need to build a new house just because your own house have a flat screen TV, by pete's name go and buy a flat screen TV and put it in the house. Why, if I have to migrate all my works to C# from Java, by the time I am through, a new language would have come out say F-Cubed that will beat C#, so what will I do then, start migrating? stupidity in the highest level.

I am out for now jare!

Java and Nigerian Developers, meet the java dukes
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Unicorn: 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
like javarules said , there's no powerful programming language , why do we like wasting our time debating on something not worth debating upon. From my own view, i'll never say one language is better than the other, but instead of us especially Nigerians, defending one programming language, let's discuss on how we(Nigerian programmers) will be relevant on the world scene. I don't care if u use QBasic to design your own program, but how will our knowledge as programmers affect our society and boost our image on the world scene. Let's think about this. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Bossman(m): 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2008
Every programming language has its pros and cons. Use whatever works for you to get the job done. Be it, VB, Java, COBOL or whatever. I see a lot of postings in the forums here trying to imply that this is better than that. If it works for you, use it! Whatever you do, regardless of the programming language, make sure you are very good at it. That will go a long way.

I really wanted to refrain from responding to this thread, but I think the word needs to get out there, that we Nigerians need to get a way from these pointless arguments. I visit other programming forums and do not see any of the baseless posts and arguments that I observe on nairaland.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by javalove(m): 5:21pm On Jul 10, 2008
@Bossman

Exactly my point
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by javarules(m): 6:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
@Bossman

I think these debates are good ooooooo, dats the only way you can make a nigerian say something these days grin cheesy just kidding
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by rancetech(m): 1:53am On Jul 11, 2008
mightydick:

all stupid programmers without any evidence to what they have done or can do but mouth mouth mouth like the hole on top of their dik.

I guess you're referring to the portability geeks in the house.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by angelchyke(m): 12:55pm On Jul 22, 2008
Hey, just a tip of advise. For wannabe hackers and the general good of mankind, never overlook the famous C programming language. No wonder so many run away from it. Chou, smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by alexis(m): 12:00pm On Jul 29, 2008
As programmers, I think you should know a bit about everything.

Personally, I love python; it's a sweet language, straightforward, you can produce with it is one of the best when prototyping.
I have also tried erlang mainly because of concurrent programming, it looks good.
For me, I look at java as a platform than a programming language - there are new languages that rides on top of the JVM, these languages allows you to express yourself in ways java will not i.e. scala.
I still fancy my C and plain old PHP, I love you guys
Then there is ruby

These are just my views anyways but go to russia and ask some coder there and he will tell you that "assembly language is the best", lol.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Seun(m): 10:31pm On Oct 22, 2009
I use Scala now. It has the full performance of Java (well 99%) and 50% of the elegance of Python.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by segsalerty(m): 8:54pm On Oct 23, 2009
Uhmm ,  well, make i say my own
wheather u be WW.COM, VS.NET . JVM, or SHARK programmer ,  You are still a fucking Client to the Programming Language .
Why not stop arguing and just face being a good client to the language/ languages u choose ? hen ?
abi ?
for example , 
whats your pride using Yoruba language to say Proverbs ?
as long as u can use the Yoruba wordings to communicate with me and your other friends ,  , so, what else do you want to gain comparing Yoruba with Igbo and other lang ?
Do i make any sense?
But , for me ,  i do well with PHP and JAVA which i love so much and i have done some fricking stuffs with it ,  thou , i still dey learn more of it to be more Gooder  grin
Segun(SCJP)
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 6:37pm On Oct 26, 2009
I am still waiting for that day when i will see a meaningful post on this programming section.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Seun(m): 6:41pm On Oct 26, 2009
candylips:

I am still waiting for that day when i will see a meaningful post on this programming section.
Is this meaningful??
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 6:45pm On Oct 26, 2009
hmm
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by bigafees: 7:29pm On Oct 26, 2009
Well, Programming Language is just like natural/mother language whereby everybody will love to defend his/her mother tougue, let us face reallity, 4 u to instruct the computer to work in ur own way is not an easy task. Pls programmer in the house let us end this arguement and face aw we can build our own standard compiler in Nigeria that will be accepted all over the world.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by cdeveloper(m): 8:16pm On Oct 26, 2009
Imaging a world where everyone look very much alike and where everyone do the same thing everyday and the same way. Well for me it would be a great bore and an uninteresting place to live. Likewise programming,

if all programing languages where one language, what a great sadness it would be for many would not give programming a second thought.

For me i always say that programming languages are like tools you find around and the way you use it depends on your knowledge of it. To come here and start the endless flame of which programming language is the best is a waste of time and a rocking chair that takes you no where. I am a web developer as well as a desktop developer i do not use the tools i use for the web for desktop app and i do not use the tools i use for web for desktop app , each has its own strength and weakness and the best choice in a given situation is the tool that best suites the need.

1 Like

Re: Defend Your Programming Language by segsalerty(m): 10:55pm On Oct 26, 2009
uhmm , so, this thread still dey exist?
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2009
i love python, i think java sucks in terms of speed.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 1:56pm On Oct 29, 2009
webdezzi:

are u sure u know what you are saying. speed compared to what 
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Kobojunkie: 2:19pm On Oct 29, 2009
webdezzi:

I started working on learning Ruby only last week and I can tell you it almost makes me want to try my hands on python again. But NAH!!!! Roflmao!!!! As for speed, most all programming languages out there have their bottlenecks. Just cause you have found Java's( But just in case, do you ever consider it might be the way you wrote your code too?) does not mean that overall, it is slow? I used to think C++ was ridiculously slow as well but then I started working with profilers, and that changed my perception of the language.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 31, 2009
yes i know what am saying, i started out with java before settling for python.
some of what drew me closer to Java were the fame, multi-platform jingle, the sexy sound of the name and classic logo

Java loads all classes at startup, even when all u intend to do is say "hello world"
GUI is another serious case.
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by candylips(m): 1:02am On Nov 01, 2009
you shouldn't be using java for windows GUI it sucks at it
Re: Defend Your Programming Language by logica(m): 3:43pm On Nov 01, 2009
candylips:

you shouldn't be using java for windows GUI it sucks at it
Actually I have seen some very nice desktop applications developed in Java (such as Limewire - but you can bet they are not using the standard AWT/Swing APIs, but some custom APIs), but yeah (like any experienced Java developer should know), the power of Java doesn't lie in desktop apps.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Learn How To Build A Desktop Software Using PYTHON – Tutorial On Nairaland / What Language Do I Need To Learn For Software Development? / Funny Source Code Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.