Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,626 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Wolof People - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Wolof People (27613 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:13am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Those are Fulani

But they call themselves Wodaabe - or is it the same thing? undecided
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:14am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Yep, exactly!

Are these tribes the same as the ones being discussed by the thread starter? And do we have any of these tribes in Northern Nigeria? Are they completely different to the Fulanis?
No no, this thread is about Wolof people who live in Senegal and the Gambia

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:15am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

But they call themselves Wodaabe - or is it the same thing? undecided

There are about 100 Fulani sub groups. In Fulfulde language Wodaabe means people who do things that are taboo or bad. Woda means taboo or bad in Fulani language.
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:15am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:

Sorry Thiendella, did not mean to compromise your thread
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Sorry Thiendella, did not mean to compromise your thread
Oh it's ok smiley

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:18am On Oct 27, 2013

Nuru Kane of Senegal, Wolof musician
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:20am On Oct 27, 2013
Arrgghhh!!

This is so confusing! I'm going to need you guys to break this down in bits for me, abeg...

Okay, so we have the Fulani tribe - but it's diverse and there are many variants of them (if I understood this correctly)

The Wodaabe are not the same as the Wolof people who live in Senegal / Gambia

Mbororo is another variant of the Fulani tribe, found mostly in Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and the Chad republic.

Question though: Why would they call themselves people who do taboo or bad things? Is that what they call themselves or what others call them? And if so, why? undecided
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:20am On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:24am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:

Ah! Okay.

Don't laugh, but I've just got to ask this - The Wolof people, are they neighbours with the Mandika tribe?

I read Alex Haley's famous story, Roots, about his ancestor - Kunta Kinte who was of Mandika origin.
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Nuru Kane of Senegal, Wolof musician
I think he is toucouleur
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:25am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy: Arrgghhh!!

This is so confusing! I'm going to need you guys to break this down in bit for me, abeg...

Okay, so we have the Fulani tribe - but it's diverse and there are many variants of them (if I understood this correctly)

The Wodaabe are not the same as the Wolof people who live in Senegal / Gambia

Mbororo is another variant of the Fulani tribe, found mostly in Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon and the Chad republic.

Question though: Why would they call themselves people who do taboo or bad things? Is that what they call themselves or what others call them? And if so, why? undecided

It was other Fulani that called them Wodaabe because they practice things not related to Islam, like Gerewol. Yes, like every ethnic group in West Africa, Fulani people are diverse and have several groups. Mbororo'en are nomadic Fulani. The Wodaabe Fulani are still nomadic. They are not the only nomadic Fulani group though. Therefore, the Wodaabe are one of the 20 or so Fulani groups that are Mbororo'en.
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:26am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
I think he is toucouleur

He can speak Fulfulde/Pular, but in that interview, he said his mother tongue is wolof.
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:30am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

It was other Fulani that called them Wodaabe because they practice things not related to Islam, like Gerewol. Yes, like every ethnic group in West Africa, Fulani people are diverse and have several groups. Mbororo'en are nomadic Fulani. The Wodaabe Fulani are still nomadic. They are not the only nomadic Fulani group though. Therefore, the Wodaabe are one of the 20 or so Fulani groups that are Mbororo'en.

Ah! I see.

But what's Gerewol?
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Ah! Okay.

Don't laugh, but I've just got to ask this - The Wolof people, are they neighbours with the Mandika tribe?

I read Alex Haley's famous story, Roots, about his ancestor - Kunta Kinte who was of Mandika origin.
Lol there's nothing to laugh about smiley. Wolof and Mandinka are neighbours, wolofs live to the noth from the centre while the mandinkas live a little more in the south , from the Gambia to Bissau Guinea, in KaaBu kingdom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaabu

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:34am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Ah! I see.

But what's Gerewol?

If you would like to know, you can PM me, it's very detailed
Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:37am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Ah! I see.

But what's Gerewol?

in islam a woman cant chose her husband.

However in Fulani (Mbororo culture) , young men literally auction themselves for women in the Gerhewol Ceremony.

The women then chose the man of their choice and they either go into the bush and "have fun", OR they marry.

In islam this is haram. tongue

The Mbororo (Woodabe) are almost completely devoid of foreign/islamic influence.
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

He can speak Fulfulde/Pular, but in that interview, he said his mother tongue is wolof.
Hmm his mom gotta be wolof so, I also noticed Toucouleurs from Podor speak wolof in everyday life or mix the 2 languages while the ones from Matam only speak Pular.
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:39am On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

However in Fulani (Mbororo culture) , young men literally auction themselves for women in the Gerhewol Ceremony.

The women then chose the man of their choice and they either go into the bush and "have fun", OR they marry.

The Mbororo (Woodabe) are almost completely devoid of foreign/islamic influence.

Lol let's not bring your paganism into this :-)
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:40am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
Hmm his mom gotta be wolof so, I also noticed Toucouleurs from Podor speak wolof in everyday life or mix the 2 languages while the ones from Matam only speak Pular

That's very nice information, did you watch the video?
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:46am On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Yeah, this is more like it!

I watched a video online about this Gerhewol ceremony. I think it's unique and not enough reason to castigate an entire tribe for. Love that culture...but the men look a bit creepy with the whites of their eyes protruding that way - no offence intended here though. smiley

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:47am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

I watched a video online about this Gerhewol ceremony. I think it's unique and not enough reason to castigate an entire tribe for. Love that culture...but the men look a bit creepy with the whites of their eyes protruding that way - no offence intended here though. smiley

It is all about perspective friend.
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:47am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
Lol there's nothing to laugh about smiley. Wolof and Mandinka are neighbours, wolofs live to the noth from the centre while the mandinkas live a little more in the south , from the Gambia to Bissau Guinea, in KaaBu kingdom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaabu

Okay, understood - thanks cheesy

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:48am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

It is spelled as gerewol, there is no 'he' pronunciation in Fulani language
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:53am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

It is spelled as gerewol, there is no 'he' pronunciation in Fulani language

Okay, gerewol smiley

I know very little about the Fulani culture as it's so far from mine, but the little I know sounds intriguing. Would like to watch a clip of you guys' folk songs / music. Have you got any to share?

Or better still, any home videos based on the (Nigerian) Fulani culture?
Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:54am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Okay, gerewol smiley

I know very little about the Fulani culture as it's so far from mine, but the little I know sounds intriguing. Would like to watch a clip of you guys' folk songs / music. Have you got any to share?

Or better still, any home videos based on the (Nigerian) Fulani culture?

what is your culture?
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

That's very nice information, did you watch the video?
Yes, he said his mom is malian and senegalese.

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:56am On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

It is all about perspective friend.

True that.

@ Thiendella, sorry to digress but I've just got to ask PAGAN 9JA this: What aspect of paganism do you practise? Is it Yoruba based?
Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:57am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

True that.

@ Thiendella, sorry to digress but I've just got to ask PAGAN 9JA this: What aspect of paganism do you practise? Is it Yoruba based?

No. Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:57am On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what is your culture?

Deep south - Delta - Isoko (similar to the Urhobos, Itsekeris and Ijaws) smiley

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 9:59am On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

No. Hausa.

You guys still managed to maintain that?? shocked

I was under the impression that Islam doesn't condone it and being from up north, then that culture / religious practice will be hundreds thousands of years old! How d'you guys manage to retain it??

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 9:59am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella: Hey Fulaman check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAnhY5V8Txk

Wow, they started speaking fouta tooro Pular/fulfulde when discussing the dressing at 6:30

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Describe Your Country In One Word? / Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) / Ooni Ogunwusi Hosts African Ambassadors In His Palace - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.