Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,599 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Wolof People - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Wolof People (27526 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:01am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Deep south - Delta - Isoko (similar to the Urhobos, Itsekeris and Ijaws) smiley

Nice.
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:01am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Okay, gerewol smiley

I know very little about the Fulani culture as it's so far from mine, but the little I know sounds intriguing. Would like to watch a clip of you guys' folk songs / music. Have you got any to share?

Or better still, any home videos based on the (Nigerian) Fulani culture?

We will have to do that in another thread
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:02am On Oct 27, 2013
Thiendella, that song "nagge" who sings it. Nagge means cattle in Fulfulde
Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:04am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

You guys still managed to maintain that?? shocked

I was under the impression that Islam doesn't condone it and being from up north, then that culture / religious practice will be hundreds thousands of years old! How d'you guys manage to retain it??

WE are Maguzawa Hausa. we live in separate compounds from other Hausa.

in the past we had to pay jazya,etc.

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Wow, they started speaking fouta tooro Pular/fulfulde when discussing the dressing at 6:30
She said they speak "poulo fouta" which is the guinean dialect, I easily can spot the accent even though I think she is overdoing it.

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:06am On Oct 27, 2013
Thiendella, are you going to marry a Wolof man?
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:09am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
She said they speak "poulo fouta" which is the guinean dialect, I easily can spot the accent even though I think she is overdoing it.

Pullo fouta just means "Fula fouta" to someone who is Pullo (Fulani), yes the accent is strong sounds like Maasinkoore in Mali.
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198: Thiendella, that song "nagge" who sings it. Nagge means cattle in Fulfulde
Aw interesting, "nagg" mean cow in wolof
Anyway, here's the video, her real name is Coumba Diallo, her stage name queen biz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_AedMMqrQ

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 10:11am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

We will have to do that in another thread

Okay

PAGAN 9JA:

WE are Maguzawa Hausa. we live in separate compounds from other Hausa.

in the past we had to pay jazya,etc.

Now I'm seriously captivated here. You're going to have to open a thread soon to talk about your religious practise. Can't wait to hear all about it! cheesy
Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:12am On Oct 27, 2013
Senegalese women are such queens, I really admire them. They have beautiful hearts

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:12am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Okay

Now I'm seriously captivated here. You're going to have to open a thread soon to talk about your religious practise. Can't wait to hear all about it! cheesy

Oh my gosh not another convert lol

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Okay

ofcourse. when I have time Ill do it.
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Pullo fouta just means "Fula fouta" to someone who is Pullo (Fulani), yes the accent is strong sounds like Maasinkoore in Mali.
In Senegal, Pullo fouta are Guinean fulanis. In the Vid they are in Kedougou, close to the Mali and Guinea borders.
[img]http://4.bp..com/_sW6R8lQ1ySw/TDX2IPA4mDI/AAAAAAAAEFM/u6WxlgODopM/s1600/kedougou+trip.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:14am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

hahaha Ive made so many converts on Nairaland. lol

However Isoko worship Lord Oghene and other Gods.

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:18am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
In Senegal, Pullo fouta are Guinean fulanis. In the Vid they are in Kedougou, close to the Mali and Guinea borders.
[img]http://4.bp..com/_sW6R8lQ1ySw/TDX2IPA4mDI/AAAAAAAAEFM/u6WxlgODopM/s1600/kedougou+trip.jpg[/img]

Oh ok, I don't want to turn this into a discussion about Fulbe (Fulani). Since this is your thread dear about the Wolof. I admire the Wolof, and believe we should continue discussing them. Perhaps you can tell us about marriage customs and why Wolof people are so beautiful

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198: Thiendella, are you going to marry a Wolof man?
Lol I'm not tribalistic, actually wolof people have no notions of what tribalism is , that' why they play such a big role in Senegal unity. You will hardly ever see a hashtag #TeamWolof, they prefer see themselves as senegalese.

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:24am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
Lol I'm not tribalistic, actually wolof people have no notions of what tribalism is , that' why they play such a big role in Senegal unity. You will hardly ever see a hashtag #TeamWolof, they prefer see themselves as senegalese.

I agree. I was chatting with a nice Wolof man the other day.

2 Likes

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:26am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:

Yeah I like that, but a lot of what Senegalese do is unique. They have arguably the best music in Africa, the best foods (most Nigerians don't know Jolof rice, thiebou dien is from Senegal). They also have the best dances. I would move to Senegal if I could get a job there, and settle in. The people are very friendly and warm-hearted. I love Nigeria, but I believe Senegal is Africa's hidden secret.

I'm not tribalistic as well, but I believe in African culture remaining traditional.

2 Likes

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198: Senegalese women are such queens, I really admire them. They have beautiful hearts
Aww merci merci smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:32am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
Aww merci merci smiley smiley

Je t'en prie, mais c'est la vérité
Re: Wolof People by EfemenaXY: 10:38am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Haha!

I love finding out about our cultural beliefs in their purest and most original form, free from foreign religions.

I like to picture myself in a particular setting say, a thousand years ago and ask, what were people of the bygone era really like? What were their cultural beliefs, religious orientation, dressing, food, and so on... smiley

PAGAN 9JA:

Lol!

Yes, you are correct but Oghene (though invinsible) is just the name for God.

Oyise, an 8 foot pole was the intermediary.

2 Likes

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:40am On Oct 27, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Haha!

I love finding out about our cultural beliefs in their purest and most original form, free from foreign religions.

I like to picture myself in a particular setting say, a thousand years ago and ask, what were people of the bygone era really like? What were their cultural beliefs, religious orientation, dressing, food, and so on... smiley

Lol!

Yes, you are correct but Oghene (though invinsible) is just the name for God.

Oyise, an 8 foot pole was the intermediary.

Well, I don't mind that sort of thing :-)

Maybe Thiendella could tell us what religion Wolof practised before Islam
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Yeah I like that, but a lot of what Senegalese do is unique. They have arguably the best music in Africa, the best foods (most Nigerians don't know Jolof rice, thiebou dien is from Senegal). They also have the best dances. I would move to Senegal if I could get a job there, and settle in. The people are very friendly and warm-hearted. I love Nigeria, but I believe Senegal is Africa's hidden secret.

Oh do we have all this? The only thing senegalese people claim and would fight over is to have the best fashion and stylists in the continent. We don't joke with elegance cool , most tailors installed in west african cities are senegalese, a rwandan girlfriend even told me tailors in Kigali were senegalese. The rest can be disputed tho' grin

'm not tribalistic as well, but I believe in African culture remaining traditional.

I get you I like people who are proud about their language, culture and customs without instantly dissing others. That's what I mean when I say tribalistic.Things live that can weaken a country's unity. Even in a familiar environment one should not talk bad about the others because kids just go around and repeat what they hear at home. A wolof proverb say " all the little moor knows, he learned it under the tent"

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 10:50am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
Oh do we have all this? The only thing senegalese people claim and would fight over is to have the best fashion and stylists in the continent. We don't joke with elegance cool , most tailors installed in west african cities are senegalese, a rwandan girlfriend even told me tailors in Kigali were senegalese. The rest can be disputed tho' grin

I get you I like people who are proud about their language, culture and customs without instantly dissing others. That's what I mean when I say tribalistic.Things live that can weaken a country's unity. Even in a familiar environment one should not talk bad about the others because kids just go around and repeat what they hear at home. A wolof proverb say " all the little moor knows, he learned it under the tent"

I don't deny that Senegalese wear the most colourful clothes out of all west Africans, that part is true. Their clothing is very elegant. I think Senegal has it all actually.

What I meant is I don't like it when Africans try to act white or European and try to adopt European culture over their own. I do age with you that ethnic groups that favour themselves over others makes a country very weak. Do I love my Fulani culture? Sure. Do I think it is the best culture? Absolutely not. There are some things I wish the Fulani would borrow from the Wolof. I respect all African cultures the same way

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 10:53am On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

grin grin
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

Well, I don't mind that sort of thing :-)

Maybe Thiendella could tell us what religion Wolof practised before Islam
Well, before Islam, wolof people practised a traditionnal religion similar to the Serer one. They adored a supreme God called Yal and many inferior gods they gave offerings to the ancestors to transmit them to the gods in a specific place called "tur". The also believed in reincarnation and embalmed the dead bodies. They practised totemism, each last name having an animal as totem , you should never kill or hurt your totem, eg the Ndiaye's totem is the Lion, the peacock for the Diop, the goat for the Seck, the snake for the Fall, etc
The bulk of Wolofs were converted trough sufi sects like Muridism or tijaniyya in the early XX century.

2 Likes

Re: Wolof People by Fulaman198(m): 11:25am On Oct 27, 2013
thiendella:
Well, before Islam, wolof people practised a traditionnal religion similar to the Serer one. They adored a supreme God called Yal and many inferior gods they gave offerings to the ancestors to transmit them to the gods in a specific place called "tur". The also believed in reincarnation and embalmed the dead bodies. They practised totemism, each last name having an animal as totem , you should never kill or hurt your totem, eg the Ndiaye's totem is the Lion, the peacock for the Diop, the goat for the Seck, the snake for the Fall, etc
The bulk of Wolofs were converted trough sufi sects like Muridism or tijaniyya in the early XX century.

Wonderful information

3 Likes

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 27, 2013
Fulaman198:

I don't deny that Senegalese wear the most colourful clothes out of all west Africans, that part is true. Their clothing is very elegant. I think Senegal has it all actually.

What I meant is I don't like it when Africans try to act white or European and try to adopt European culture over their own. I do age with you that ethnic groups that favour themselves over others makes a country very weak. Do I love my Fulani culture? Sure. Do I think it is the best culture? Absolutely not. There are some things I wish the Fulani would borrow from the Wolof. I respect all African cultures the same way
Wolof people have many flaws but overall they are nice and warm people, so fulanis.
Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
I find Kocc Barma's story interesting

Birima Maxureja Fall a.k.a Kocc Barma was a philosopher who lived in Kayor between 1586 and 1655. He was renowned for his intelligence and wisdom. He was the cousin and main councillor of the Damel (king) Dau Demba.

Kocc Barma had a special hairstyle: he had booked on his head four tufts of hair as on the pic. Each of these clumps , is a moral truth only me and my wife know, he used to say. His wife had on her side a son from a first marriage .
The Damel , curious to know about these , looked long and in vain to discover the secret. Finally he resorted to trickery . He summoned the philosopher's wife and won her by offering her gifts. So, She told him the moral truths of the four clusters that were :
"A king is neither a parent nor a protective "
"Your step son is not your son "
" You may love your wife, but never trust her "
" Old men are needed in a country"
The king was furious about the first symbol and the philosopher condemned to death. While they were running to the execution place , an old man enjoying a great credit to the king by his wisdom and prudence, and willing the good of the country went to the Damel and showed him that the death of Kocc would be an irreparable loss for the kingdom, as he needed his advice in difficult circumstances. Meanwhile the son Kocc's wife had from a 1st marriage , noting that Kocc was wearing his clothes , requested that he must de undressed before being killed.
The old man finally obtained grace for Kocc who was brought to the king. Strongly rebuked about his singular ideas , Kocc replied without emotion :
" Isn't it true that a king is not a protective nor a parent , as you condemned me to death, wrongly , forgetting all services I have given you and constant friendship that had bound us since our childhood ? "
" Isn't it true that one must love his wife but not trust her , since my wife that I had made ​​custodian of my secret to test her loyalty , betrayed me for vile presents ? "
" Isn't it true that a step son is not a son , since at the time he should weep for his father , who was sentenced to death , he asked him for clothes which he feared the loss? "
"Isn't it true that old people are necessary in a country , since without a wise and prudent old man whose gravity was able to dominate your passion , I would not be living at the moment ? "

3 Likes

Re: Wolof People by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
wow.

How do you know all this info AMAZING!

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 27, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
wow.

How do you know all this info AMAZING!
Everyone knows about Kocc Barma in senegal, oral traditions are very much alive there,
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kocc_Barma_Fall

1 Like

Re: Wolof People by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 27, 2013
Notable wolof people
Abdoulaye Wade, 3rd Senegal president has a wolof dad and a mandinka mom

Cheikh anta Diop the historian and egyptologist

Ousmane Sembene, writer and cineast

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Shares Money To Villagers (Photos) / Ooni Of Ife & His Entourage At The Voice Of America Studios In Washington.Photos / Court Restrains Oluwo Of Iwo From Presiding Over Eid Prayers, Jumat Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.