Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

Nigerian World Cup Venues - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian World Cup Venues (4070 Views)

NPFL Match Venues Now Family Recreation Centres / Super Eagles Defenders Present Performance And World Cup Qualifier / Fifa Announces Venues For U17 Wc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
If Nigeria (NFF) bids and wins the right to host a FIFA world cup, which cities/venues would be appropriate to stage the matches?

Bear in mind that FIFA recommends between 8-10 stadia for the tournament; they only made an exception for Brazil to use 12 stadia.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2013
I would choose the following cities:
Lagos (duh), Uyo, Enugu, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Jos, and Asaba.

Apart from Abuja stadium and Jos stadium, the others would need to be significantly upgraded to meet the 40,000 capacity minimum set by FIFA. Also, the Lagos national stadium could be demolished, and in it's place, a 60,000-70,000 football-specific arena can be built.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Afam4eva(m): 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan: I would choose the following cities:
Lagos (duh), Uyo, Enugu, Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Jos, and Asaba.

Apart from Abuja stadium and Jos stadium, the others would need to be significantly upgraded to meet the 40,000 capacity minimum set by FIFA. Also, the Lagos national stadium could be demolished, and in it's place, a 60,000-70,000 football-specific arena can be built.
be rest assured that federal character will be honored just like they did at the under 17 competition hosted a few years back. The cities that will host matches include Abuja, Lagos, Enugu, Kano, Port-hacourt/Calabar and maybe Kaduna.

Sorry, which Lagos stadium should be demolished? The National stadium or Teslim Balogun stadium? We don't have the luxury of demolishing any stadium in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Tolexander: 9:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
The first thing that will come to mind is the geo-political zones, i.e one stadium in each geo-political zone(kano/kaduna, jos, bauchi/maiduguri, lagos, enugu, benin/calabar). Then consideration for port harcult, ibadan to complement them.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Afam: the National should be pulled down because it's an absolute eyesore. The new football-specific arena could be jointly owned by LASG and a private firm.
At least, some jobs will be created in the process.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Afam4eva(m): 9:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan: @Afam: the National should be pulled down because it's an absolute eyesore. The new football-specific arena could be jointly owned by LASG and a private firm.
At least, some jobs will be created in the process.
Why should it be pulled down if it can be renovated? if it gets pulled down and another one built, is there any guarantee that the new one won't get as bad as the present one? Pulling it down will be a waste of tax payers money. The stadium should be privatized imo. Lagos can also buy it if they want to but it's excess to requirement for Lagos state as they already have Teslim Balogun. I wished the Lagos government had located Teslim Balogun somewhere else instead of locating close to another stadium.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by AbuMikey(m): 9:21pm On Oct 26, 2013

Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium is a multi-use stadium in Benin City, Nigeria. Originally known as Ogbe Stadium, it is currently used mostly for football matches and is the home stadium of Bendel Insurance FC. The stadium has a capacity of 30,000 people.

Could be renovated to about 50,000 capacity! tongue

Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
Hmm.. Benin could be a good option, not sure if they are any quality 4-star or 5-star hotels there. Besides, the beauty of Uyo's Olympic stadium should make it the first choice in the SS. Warri has more fanatic fans than Benin too.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Afam4eva(m): 9:36pm On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan: Hmm.. Benin could be a good option, not sure if they are any quality 4-star or 5-star hotels there. Besides, the beauty of Uyo's Olympic stadium should make it the first choice in the SS. Warri has more fanatic fans than Benin too.
There's a lot of politics in the South-South, that's why i doubt Calabar would get it cos they don't have strong men in power like Akwa-Ibom or Edo. Yes, Warri has more fanatic fans than Benin and way more than Asaba that you suggested except it's the fans in Onitsha that will go and fill up the Asaba stadium. Also, Asaba doesn't have a world-class stadium. The stadium that was built in Asaba is a mini-stadium and not even as big as some other stadiums built in less important towns in Delta state.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by homesteady(m): 9:38pm On Oct 26, 2013
Benin ke? That scatter scatter place grin grin

The same cities that hosted U-17 would host the world cup, maybe except the Northern cities if there is still insecurity!
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
@Afam: I didnt suggest Asaba.Besides, the Onitsha fans will flock to Enugu.
Also, with Uyo hosting, I don't think Naija politics will favor Calabar hosting matches. The Uyo stadium will be the most beautiful in Nigeria upon completion next year. In fact, it may host a Nations Cup qualifying match late next year too; as Nigeria will begin her qualifying campaign in September.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Afam4eva(m): 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
CFCfan: @Afam: I didnt suggest Asaba.Besides, the Onitsha fans will flock to Enugu.
Also, with Uyo hosting, I don't think Naija politics will favor Calabar hosting matches. The Uyo stadium will be the most beautiful in Nigeria upon completion next year. In fact, it may host a Nations Cup qualifying match late next year too; as Nigeria will begin her qualifying campaign in September.
I'm really anticipating to see what the Uyo stadium will look like upon completion. I guess it will become the defacto super eagles home when it's completed.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 10:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm really anticipating to see what the Uyo stadium will look like upon completion. I guess it will become the defacto super eagles home when it's completed.
I hope so too.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Ajibel(m): 5:10am On Oct 27, 2013
Afam4eva:

Uyo shocked shocked i really doubt that. At worst, they'd move back to Abuja. Buh make i wait till then cuz i'd be suprised if they choose Uyo based on an insider info i heard.
There was a time, i learnt, LASG, approached the FG to buy the Nat'l stadium. Oh well they were turned down. Some viewed the rejection as politics...

Currently, Nig doesnt have good stadiums so the NFF wouldnt want to embarrass 'emselves by bidding to host a WORLD CUP shocked shocked buh maybe under-aged competitions embarassed
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Evestar200(f): 1:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
Damn! Who is excluding my beautiful Warri out of the cities to host a world cup,,,we can make it happen when we are ready cuz we Warri pple are sports lover,,,Ask CAF,,we still hold the record of having the highest number of pple to watch AWC in Africa

1 Like

Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by phillippiano(m): 3:47pm On Oct 27, 2013
Evestar200: Damn! Who is excluding my beautiful Warri out of the cities to host a world cup,,,we can make it happen when we are ready cuz we Warri pple are sports lover,,,Ask CAF,,we still hold the record of having the highest number of pple to watch AWC in Africa
Warri ke? Kidnapping tinz o. No offence
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by solomon111(m): 3:58pm On Oct 27, 2013
Ajibel:

Uyo shocked shocked i really doubt that. At worst, they'd move back to Abuja. Buh make i wait till then cuz i'd be suprised if they choose Uyo based on an insider info i heard.
There was a time, i learnt, LASG, approached the FG to buy the Nat'l stadium. Oh well they were turned down. Some viewed the rejection as politics...

Currently, Nig doesnt have good stadiums so the NFF wouldnt want to embarrass 'emselves by bidding to host a WORLD CUP shocked shocked buh maybe under-aged competitions embarassed
Nigeria has stadia good enough to host the world cup.
A little refurbishment here and there and they will be ready.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Zonacom(m): 10:47pm On Oct 27, 2013
The zaria road stadium undergoing construction in Jos will undoubtebly be one of the best stadia in nigeria when completed. Baba jang is doing a beautiful work there no doubt. If nigeria should host any world cup in the near future, i think jos should be one of the suitable venues.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 13, 2013
Alright, my final picks will be:
Lagos, Ibadan, Uyo, Warri, Port Harcourt, Abuja, Kano, Jos and Enugu. If 10 stadia are needed, I will add Bauchi.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 12:06am On Mar 04, 2015
Port Harcourt and Lagos would host the semifinals.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Evestar200(f): 12:43pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:
not with those bad roads in portharcourt
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by omar22(m): 2:10pm On Mar 04, 2015
we dont have the Stadia to host the world cup

Minimum 9 stadiums minimum 35k or 40k

with 3 stadiums well over 60k in capacity to host the opening match, Semi finals, third place match and final (Naija only has one) the rest are 30k and below

Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by omar22(m): 2:11pm On Mar 04, 2015
CFCfan:

Played at which stadiums?
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 04, 2015
omar22:

Played at which stadiums?
The Liberation stadium could be upgraded, and a new football stadium may be built in the place of the decrepit National stadium
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Afam4eva(m): 2:25pm On Mar 04, 2015
Actually only the National stadium, Abuja and the Uyo stadium have what it takes to host the world cup. but i don't think they meet the seating requirement. We will definitely need to upgrade the existing standard stadiumalabar.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 04, 2015
Afam4eva:
Actually only the National stadium, Abuja and the Uyo stadium have what it takes to host the world cup. but i don't think they meet the seating requirement. We will definitely need to upgrade the existing standard stadiumalabar.
The Uyo stadium is expandable to over 50,000. It's presently a 30k seater facility.

However, FIFA could make exceptions on stadia capacity, based on the utilization of most of the stadia used in South Africa and Brazil. Most of those facilities have become expensive white-elephant projects. FIFA could lower the minimum capacity to 35k, from the present 40k, while the venues for the opening match, semi finals, and final could be lowered to 60k.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by omar22(m): 2:41pm On Mar 05, 2015
CFCfan:

The Uyo stadium is expandable to over 50,000. It's presently a 30k seater facility.

However, FIFA could make exceptions on stadia capacity, based on the utilization of most of the stadia used in South Africa and Brazil. Most of those facilities have become expensive white-elephant projects. FIFA could lower the minimum capacity to 35k, from the present 40k, while the venues for the opening match, semi finals, and final could be lowered to 60k.

Expanding a stadium is not that straight forward, sometimes its as expensive as building a new one even it could be more expensive than the existing stadia, Taking a 30k Uyo stadium to 50k is more like building a new tier on top of the existing tier, from my experience working on projects it will cost a hell lot more to add another tier on top, we are talking about stripping off the roof, can the existing stand support a new upper tier, if not, they have to re-enforce the whole stand before erecting another tier on top, then place a bigger roof.

FIFA wont make exception for Nigeria unless if we are the only bidding country in the continent and has the support of the whole continent, because we have other countries in Africa who could present an 80k capacity stadiums and also in the 50 years the smallest capacity stadium to host a world cup final is the Olympiastadion (Munich) which holds 74k in (1972)

Am not saying we cant host but we have to build new stadiums, the 2006 WC the German built 5 new stadiums and refurbished the rest, The 14 out the 19 Stadiums used in Japan/Korea were brand new.

South Africa only had one stadium below 40k and most of there stadiums where built for the Rugby world cup in the 90s
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by EzePromoe: 12:10am On Mar 06, 2015
Afam4eva:
I also think that Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium PH could also host the world cup as well. The stadium is 40,000 capacity and it meets FIFA standard.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 06, 2015
EzePromoe:

I also think that Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium PH could also host the world cup as well. The stadium is 40,000 capacity and it meets FIFA standard.
Ok. But the design ain't cool enough
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by EzePromoe: 3:57pm On Mar 06, 2015
CFCfan:

Ok. But the design ain't cool enough
But at least it could be of use. I believe more stadium will spring up in different locations soon.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 06, 2015
EzePromoe:
But at least it could be of use. I believe more stadium will spring up in different locations soon.
Liberation and Sharks could be used as base camps or training venues.
Re: Nigerian World Cup Venues by EzePromoe: 4:20pm On Mar 06, 2015
CFCfan:

Liberation and Sharks could be used as base camps or training venues.
The liberation stadium could be renovated you know. I would love Dolphins to relocate to the new stadium in Igwuruta and possibly play the rest of their CAF games there. It won't be bad if Sharks take over the Liberation stadium.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mohamed Salah With His Brother During His Engagment Party Yesterday � (photos) / Arsenal Vs Ac Milan : Expert Analysis / Football Match INDIA VS NIGERIA: 99-1 ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.