Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! (9848 Views)

Music Video Of Fulani Nigerian/cameroonian Marriage Ceremonies / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 10:40am On Jul 09, 2008
Why would someone be proud of being something about which they had no choice? No-one had a choice about their skin-colour, nationality, tribe, gender or sexual orientation. None of these are attributes are earned by the endeavours of the individual. So why should one be proud of these attributes that are not the result of one's own endeavours?

The notion of "proud to be" should be rightly associated with one's achievements. For instance, I am proud to be a good and diligent employee, a good friend, a good husband, a good father, a good sportsman, a good citizen. These are my achievements and am very proud of them. I am not proud to be African, no more than an Englishman should be proud of being English, a Frenchman proud of being French.

What personal successes are you proud to have achieved?

Let's perform the following thought experiment;

1) Which of the following peoples should be proud of themselves and why ?

a) French
b) Japanese
c) Namibians
d) Nigerians
e) Native Australians
f) Native South Americans
g) Icelanders
h) Egyptians

2) Which of the following peoples should NOT be proud of themselves and why ?

a) French
b) Japanese
c) Namibians
d) Nigerians
e) Native Australians
g) Icelanders
h) Egyptians

3) Are you proud to a man instead of a woman? Or are you proud to be a woman instead of a man?

4) Should George W Bush, the President of the USA, make a comment to the effect of "I am white and proud of it"? How do you think that statement would go down in US?

5) Should Barack Obama make a comment to the effect "I am black and proud of it"? How would that be taken in the US political field?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Hero(m): 12:06pm On Jul 09, 2008
I'm proud not to be white.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by CH3COO(m): 12:30pm On Jul 09, 2008
huxley:

Why would someone be proud of being something about which they had no choice? No-one had a choice about their skin-colour, nationality or tribe. None of these are attributes are earned by the endeavours of the individual. So why should one be proud of these attributes that are not the result of one's own endeavours?

The notion of "proud to be" should be rightly associated with one's achievements. For instance, I am proud to be a good and diligent employee, a good friend, a good husband, a good father, a good sportsman, a good citizen. These are my achievements and am very proud of them. I am not proud to be African, no more than an Englishman should be proud of being English, a Frenchman proud of being French.

What personal successes are you proud to have achieved?
Well shit you're right. I recently had a discussion about this. I still stick with the opinion that it is a natural phenomenon.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by EXPONENT(m): 2:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
YOUR culture is WHO YOU ARE!!!

There are some THINGS about it that is very GALLANT!

of course, there are some things about your culture - you detest.

However, to detest WHOM you are and your lineage - is an abomination.

LET'S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT!!!! angry

Nobody CHOSE to be here and nobody CHOSE their family and Ethnicity.

However, we do CHOSE our friends, livelihood, lifestyle and mental state. Obviously, you think your current state is submissive and regressive.

That's unfortunate - you'll walk around thinking OTHERS are more superior to you.

AND THAT IS SLAVE MENTALITY

1 Like

Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by onyinye2(f): 2:53pm On Jul 09, 2008
well it seems like you obviously dont no the definition of "proud". let me fix that.

Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth

now let me give you the definition of "quality"

an essential or distinctive characteristic, property, or attribute

Well to sum this up i have "satisfaction" of the "quality" of my "distinctive characteristic".

In the words of the late, great James Brown,

SAY IT LOUD, I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!!!
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by EXPONENT(m): 2:57pm On Jul 09, 2008
well it seems like you obviously don't no the definition of "proud". let me fix that.

Feeling pleasurable satisfaction over an act, possession, quality, or relationship by which one measures one's stature or self-worth

now let me give you the definition of "quality"

an essential or distinctive characteristic, property, or attribute

Well to sum this up i have "satisfaction" of the "quality" of my "distinctive characteristic".

In the words of the late, great James Brown,

SAY IT LOUD, I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!!!

You tell em girlie.

YOU NO SELL-OUT!
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 09, 2008
Poster, are you even proud to be a human being. I bet you wish you were a bird, a lion or even a dog!!

1 Like

Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by TheSly: 3:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
Im so proud of my colour. . . . . . .Very Proud!!! cool
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
Looks like a lot of people are not getting exactly the main thrust of my post. I repeat, at best the attributes cited by some poster are neutral. If they are neutral, why the fuzz about them. Let's perform the following thought experiment;

a) French
b) Japanese
c) Namibians
d) Nigerians
e) Native Australians
g) Icelanders
h) Egyptians

2) Which of the following people should NOT be proud of themselves and why ?

a) French
b) Japanese
c) Namibians
d) Nigerians
e) Native Australians
g) Icelanders
h) Egyptians

3) Are you proud to a man instead of a woman? Or are you proud to be a woman instead of a man?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Hero(m): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
Rubbish thread. What a silly question. cheesy
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by thando(f): 5:37pm On Jul 09, 2008
im most probably the proudest south african zulu on earth. no matter what.

1 Like

Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 5:39pm On Jul 09, 2008
Hero:

Rubbish thread. What a silly question. cheesy

It cannot have been silly, can it. Because we know where you stand. How about your earlier response. given below?

Hero:

I'm proud not to be white.

So you have answered my question implicitly. smiley ha dimwit. See where failure of thinking leads you?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by onyinye2(f): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ huxley

did you even read my post?? because i pretty much answered your initial question.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2008
onyinye2:

@ huxley

did you even read my post?? because i pretty much answered your initial question.

With due respect, you did not. You simply shouted that you were proud of being black, and provided some word definitions.

Why don't you apply your pseudo-answer to my thought-experiment?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by LASIEFAIRE(m): 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2008
very nice post, will comment as soon as i get back.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by EXPONENT(m): 5:56pm On Jul 09, 2008
Huxley is a SELF-HATER

with inner-gnawing feelings of innate inferiority toward other cultures.

He simply cannot be helped.

Why try
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Hero(m): 5:58pm On Jul 09, 2008
thando:

Damn, I've met lots of various types of South African ethnic groups, but oddly I've yet to knowingly encounter a Zulu. Odd. I've even met white and Asian South Africans, but a Zulu I've not. You all aren't going extinct, are you?  undecided
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 09, 2008
Hero:

Damn, I've met lots of various types of South African ethnic groups, but oddly I've yet to knowingly encounter a Zulu. Odd. I've even met white and Asian South Africans, but a Zulu I've not. You all aren't going extinct, are you? undecided

Trick question.
Name the largest ethnic group in South Africa.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by sistajay(f): 6:23pm On Jul 09, 2008
Yeah, im so proud to be 100% black, and to be made in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by CH3COO(m): 6:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
huxley:

Looks like a lot of people are not getting exactly the main thrust of my post. I repeat, at best the attributes cited by some poster are neutral. If they are neutral, why the fuzz about them. Let's perform the following thought experiment;

a) French
b) Japanese
c) Namibians
d) Nigerians
e) Native Australians
g) Icelanders
h) Egyptians

2) Which of the following people should NOT be proud of themselves and why ?

a) French
b) Japanese
c) Namibians
d) Nigerians
e) Native Australians
g) Icelanders
h) Egyptians

Don't midn them. They're dull-brained.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by EXPONENT(m): 6:32pm On Jul 09, 2008

Almost every AA I know WISHED their blood was ZULU.

It must be the Name and that warrioring spirit.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by londoner: 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
I'm glad/happy that  I'm Black and would never want to be another colour, race or ethnicity ( Igbo). If I could have chosen, thats what I have chosen for myself.

However, I am proud of the person I am, I'm truthful, strong, forgiving, loving, wise and all that good stuff. Those are character traits which I had to nurture, safeguard in a decided way even though some of it is in  my nature.

Being Black is not an achievement you can be proud of in the simple sense of the word. I look at it as a blessing, which I did not bestow upon myself, but am mighty thankful that it was. In other words, I am proud of who have become, but thankful for what I am.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by manmustwac(m): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
Why would someone be proud of being something about which they had no choice? No-one had a choice about their skin-colour, nationality or tribe.

So i guess your trying to tell us that your ashamed of the colour of your skin, nationality tribe etc

Why would someone be proud of being something about which they had no choice? No-one had a choice about their skin-colour, nationality or tribe. None of these are attributes are earned by the endeavours of the individual. So why should one be proud of these attributes that are not the result of one's own endeavours?

So what are you trying to say? That i should i be ashamed of my tribal heritage because i couldn't chose my tribe or nationality before i was born?

As far as am concerned one has to be positive and you can link the word to be proud to being positive Nobody choses their identity but you should be proud of who you are
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by mosunade(f): 6:38pm On Jul 09, 2008
Very proud to be black and Nigerian.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 6:48pm On Jul 09, 2008
OK, since you guys are not getting it, let me give another example:

Are you proud to a man instead of a woman? Or are you proud to be a woman instead of a man?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by CH3COO(m): 6:50pm On Jul 09, 2008

i don't think they understand the sentences above.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by manmustwac(m): 6:57pm On Jul 09, 2008
@POST
before i was born i didn't have a choice to fill in an application form and tick the box to whether i wanted to be male female black african black carribean caucasian, asian hispanic etc.

Likewise i couldn't tick the box on the application form and chose whether my mama was going to be Madonna and my papa Iron Mike Tyson

Nobody choses their Nationaltiy just have to be[b]positive[/b] therefore proud of where u come from
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Hero(m): 7:00pm On Jul 09, 2008
Yes, I am proud to be a man. I wouldn't want to be a woman; they have too much personal shit to deal with with their bodies that'll drive me nuts. I have mad respect for them though.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2008
@huxley,

I think you've brought up an argument far above many of these fellows intellect.
They fail to properly read and understand your post. But instead choose to spout the usual "I'm proud(proudly) whatever". A statement which reeks of inferiority complex.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by CH3COO(m): 7:02pm On Jul 09, 2008
khai_khai:

@huxley,

I think you've brought up an argument far above many of these fellows intellect.
They fail to properly read and understand your post. But instead choose to spout the usual "I'm proud(proudly) whatever". A statement which reeks of inferiority complex.

no shit!
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 09, 2008
Huxley, is it wrong to be proud of my country?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by manmustwac(m): 7:10pm On Jul 09, 2008
@khai khai

khai_khai:

@huxley,

so what about you khai khai? I'd like to hear your own opinion on the topic?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Black Girls Are Pretty But Somali Girls Are Prettier / Somali Nomadic Culture / How Does This "Money Charm" Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.