Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,115 members, 7,867,219 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 12:27 PM

:P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' (647 Views)

ASUU Strike: Imsu ASUU Commences Strike / ASUU STRIKE: ASUU Distributes Food, Money To Members / ASUU Strike Commence In Lautech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

:P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by Beautydiva(f): 9:17pm On Oct 29, 2013
tongue The Vice Chairman of the Senate Committee on Education, Senator Sola Adeyeye on Monday described as ‘ridiculous’ the pay demands by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) on the federal government.
This is just as he challenged lecturers to a public debate to justify the unresolved pay demands which has led to the protracted strike by university lecturers.
Adeyeye who is a Professor of Molecular Biology told newsmen at the National Assembly against the backdrop of last week’s Senate debates on the protracted ASUU strike.

On account of his contributions at plenary,
Adeyeye was particularly criticised by the ASUU chairman, University of Ibadan branch, Dr. Segun Ajiboye.
“There is no question that the enormous rot in
Nigeria’s education sector cries for urgent and
immediate attention.
But as unpopular as saying so might make me to the membership of ASUU, the truth is that ASUU has been a part of the problem.
I would gladly love to engage Dr. Ajiboye in a
prime time televised debate on my assertion,”
Adeyeye stated.
The senator proposed five practical
solutions to this “most national pressing
crisis’: firstly, the National Assembly should
henceforth appropriate at least 26 per cent
of Nigeria’s current revenue to education
alone.

Second, the education ministry must ensure the streamlining of the “endless parastatals that drain resources while making little or no contribution to national well-being and progress.”

Thirdly, the government in a bid to raise revenue for funding a “national redemption programme”

in education, all imports should attract a
mandatory education tax of one per cent.
Fourth, beginning from January 1, 2014 till
December 31, 2018, all workers in Nigeria must contribute five per cent of their income as education taxes. Embezzling any amount of these revenues targeted for education should be taken as an act of treason.

Fifth, the costs for running the offices of all
elected and appointed political office holders
should immediately be pruned by 50 per cent.

According to Adeyeye, the “implacable” demands by ASUU are fueled by resentment at the “obscene” privileges which Nigerian politicians enjoy.

Keep Your Company during ASUU Strike
Re: :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by lincolnj88: 9:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
First to comment.....ASUU ur days are numbered
Re: :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by Hayuz(f): 9:55pm On Oct 29, 2013
ASUU,dis is unfair o
Re: :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by kennyamusan(m): 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2013
From all justification,it can be seen that the federal govt are to be blamed here,y shld u go into an agreement with what u cannot provide.I believe every man knows his capacity. @ the die minute,FG now wants to back out.imagine a minister buying a 255m naira jeep,monies that can be use to create employment for the youth,did is what ASUU is fighting for.if this struggle would provide neccesary infastructure in our education system,I suggest we wait but it would be unfair after our waiting,there is no tangible thing to which we can pint out to what we have gained so far.God bless Nigeria.
Re: :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by abdurrazaq(m): 10:24pm On Oct 29, 2013
What debate is this man challenging ASUU to? If there is need to engage any group of people, it should be the FG teams that signed the ‘ridiculous‘ agreement that should be summoned to the Eagle square for national flogging exercise.
The FG should honour the d@mn agreement and stop this daily cheap propaganda and talk-without-action attitude.
ASUU should remain steadfast in this quest as calling off the strike on any form promises (lies) will eventually make them the losers in this struggle.
To the students, a semester is gone but, I think it‘s worth it because noone would want to work for free after graduating with our degrees.
Re: :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by touch4mony: 12:40am On Oct 30, 2013
i can see that ASUU menbers or their children has been commenting here all this while.why not come out on nation t.v and read the agreement u presented.
Re: :P ASUU Strike: Senatorchallenges Lecturers Todebate Over 'ridiculousdemands' by ikweremilitant: 1:03am On Oct 30, 2013
kennyamusan: From all justification,it can be seen that the federal govt are to be blamed here,y shld u go into an agreement with what u cannot provide.I believe every man knows his capacity. @ the die minute,FG now wants to back out.imagine a minister buying a 255m naira jeep,monies that can be use to create employment for the youth,did is what ASUU is fighting for.if this struggle would provide neccesary infastructure in our education system,I suggest we wait but it would be unfair after our waiting,there is no tangible thing to which we can pint out to what we have gained so far.God bless Nigeria.
rember d agrement was signd years ag6 by either obj or yaraduas administratm.so dnt blame ds govt for the signg

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News...agulu Chiefs Reveals Their Pact With The Late Odimegwu Ojukwu. / Ngige Built Toilet With Allocations Since 2011 That Worth N700mil!!! / OPINION: Iyayi Was Murdered – By Bamidele Aturu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.