Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review (10761 Views)

MI Abaga And Iceprince Zamani Announced As New CEO And VP Of Chocolate City Musi / Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / Download Ice Prince Zamani's Aboki And More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 2:53am On Oct 30, 2013
[img]http://3.bp..com/-qHWjpNb0rAs/UnBbYeG0beI/AAAAAAAAClA/notpj0NvTW0/s640/ice+prince-foz.jpg[/img]

I am not one for making comparisons between artiste especially because everyone seems to approach music from the depths of who they are and the influences of their immediate environment. All I seek from listening to an artiste is to get a grasp of wellspring from which such music is coming from.

Ice Prince Zamani as he is popularly known among his fans just gave the whole world a piece from his wellspring of music titled "Fire Of Zamani"; the name of the album is said to be the name of his clothing line to; so business wise, Ice Prince seems to be doing well to expand his tentacles. The album has tracks that have already received wide air play as singles such as "Gimme dat", "Aboki", and "More"..... and then brand new additions like "Mercy", "Whiskey", "N-word" etc. We have some tracks produced by Sammy Gyang, and a particular track produced by "Don Jazzy" while the rest were produced by "Chopstix".
Much for introduction, lets move on!!!

1. Stars and Light Ft Ruby Gyang
Lots of input by the Gyang family on this track I must say. We have Sammy, then Jeremiah and also Ruby. The album starts with this track that kind of sounds like the JayZ/Alicia Keys-Empire State of mind. Great progression on the song itself and the guitar gives it that rock feel as Ice Prince introduces his album and gives props to those that deserve it. (even though I think it should come at the end ) Ruby delivers the hook with a good voice but she could have done more with the "ajasas" on the rap verses. 7/10

2. Skit by MC Long
Err........translation from English to Hausa, the Hausa translation must have been very funny because it got the audience squeaking in laughter.

3. Aboki.
Do I need to say more about this track. It has been around for a really long while as it has even topped charts in Nigeria as the first single from this album. The comical lines from Ice Prince and the combination of the "drums" with the "horns" makes this track very groovy. lets not forget the sounds from the traditional Hausa strings. 8/10

4. My Life
This is a very decent track. I think Ice Prince has found that delight in rapping in "pidgin" English and I appreciate the delivery actually sounds slightly different; for those of us that think his delivery of Aboki and VIP were kind of similar. if you listen to this song long enough, you begin to sing it loud.......****my life**** 6/10

5. Mercy Ft Chip
Ice Prince tries to touch on every sub-genre of modern hiphop....pop flavored, dancehall flavored and even highlife flavored. This falls in the dancehall flavored division and chip delivers a decent verse on the track too. 6/10

6. Whiskey Ft Sunny Neji
Horns and guitar usher in this highlife flavored rap music, it would have been lovely it was a love song and could be played at weddings and things like that, then that way Ice Prince can get wedding performances too. the track is matured and can easily be loved by older people. Sunny Neji's voice would always stand out anywhere, and on this track it does even though his verse was not very long. 7/10

7. N-Word
Don Jazzy on the beats!!! southern style hiphop, the kind you will find from Rickross, DJ Khaled and their crew but delivered in pidgin English. I am not sure if it was my listening device but I kind of thought the sound production was oscillating a little bit too much, but maybe that is how it is suppose to be. 7/10...****close your eyes and imagine it was Olamide or Phyno or LordV rhyming to this monstrous beat...choi!!

8. Jambo
Very dance-able track with similar delivery with VIP and Aboki. Even when the beats is utterly different, Ice Prince still brings us back to that Aboki feel....5/10

9. No Die Tomorrow
I saw a tweet where someone said this was his favorite track, I was looking forward to hearing it. Well...it is okay! reggae/dancehall feel though........uses one of its verses to address some of the social issues that plagues his home country.(Nigeria) 6/10... the strength of this track is the beat IMO.

10. Gimme Dat Ft YungL, BurnaBoy and Olamide
I am a big fan of collaborations because it allows us to listen to same track from the perspective of the different artiste on the joint. I like this track and I think it is a good one......Olamide however went in on the track like it was a freestyle, his entry was perfect but it dimmed out towards the end of the verse. Nice one 8/10

11. Komotion ft Wizkid
Delivery was completely different on this one from Ice Prince which got me on high alert. The reggae feel to the entire song makes it even more enticing. Beat was correct! 7/10

12. Person Wey Sabi
You remember the track on ELI where he featured Wizboyy? Here is something similar....Highlife with all the horns and the percussion. Decent track 6/10

13. Kpako Ft MI, Jesse
I like this track......I listened to it with a smile on my face as I anticipated the collabo of the "Jos boyz"; MI is freaking talented......choi!! you need to listen to this....his transition between voice scenarios is fantastic; Jesse is good sha ooo......7/10

14. Pray Ft Sound Sultan
Another "OK" track, typical entry by sound sultan.....almost a "galala" feel to the song too. 6/10

15. More
I heard more a long time ago, and I loved it including its video. The beat was produced by chopstix and I do think its decent.....a rappers way of singing love! 7/10

16. On My Knees Ft Jeremiah Gyang
Where did Jeremiah Gyang go to since all these days sef......he had such an inspirational season with "Barka Zuchi Allah"; ok this is about Ice Prince and not Jerry.....its a Hausa track so a bunch of the words I did not understand, that kind of song you listen to in your car, sing aloud and bump your head. 7/10

17. Tipsy Ft Wale and Morell
Pretty core hip hop on this track , this is one rapheads would scream "fire"..... Iceprince still maintained his delivery style but dang......But Wale probably pushed the track to another level. The banging is banging too with Morell on the hook. 7/10

18. I swear Ft French montana
This track has been on the airwaves way before the album and it was one of those tracks that made peoples expectation for the FOZ album skyrocket. He had his typical punch lines on the track, i however did not know what to expect from "brother french montana" on this track but i think he did pretty well considering the fact that he might not be very familiar with the nigerian music audience. 8/10

I really did not know what to expect from Ice Prince on this album so I kind of opened my heart to its collaborations after listening to pre-release tracks likes "I swear", "Aboki Rmx"; and they all did a good job; Olamide, Burnaboy, YungL, MI, Jesse and co. If I was going to pick a favorite, then it is going to be "Whiskey". Let me mention that this evaluation is indeed my opinion. You should all listen and grade the music yourselves. Those criticizing this album seem to forget that Ice Prince is a commercial rapper, he is not interested in throwing punchlines that will make rapheads go "hooooooo", the album cuts through modern sub-genres on nigerian music and gives us something we can relate and dance to.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/10/album-review-fire-of-zamani.html

3 Likes

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 1:28pm On Oct 30, 2013
Has anyone else listened to the album? How would u rate the songs?
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by ghyxzo: 1:39pm On Oct 30, 2013
Guy dix ur ratin nan wash

4 Likes

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 3:05pm On Oct 30, 2013
ghyxzo: Guy dix ur ratin nan wash
It's all good bro, it's a personal opinion. How do you rate it though?
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 2:25pm On Nov 21, 2013
As d album release concert is coming up it'd be great to get Nairalanders' take on the album. I know there are several Ice Prince fans on this forum wink
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by ajasa4link: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
will get d album on Monday and do a review after listening,
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 4:57pm On Nov 21, 2013
ajasa4link: will get d album on Monday and do a review after listening,
cool!
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 6:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
aceproducer: DO YOU NEED A MODERN DAY STUDIO FOR YOUR MUSIC PRODUCTION @ AN AFFORDABLE PRICE TODAY!!!!!!

See hustle!
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2013
ajasa4link: will get d album on Monday and do a review after listening,

Do you think this review is front page worthy?
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
I'm not a fan of detailing album reviews. I just compare an artiste's new album to the previous. so that said, ELI album defines IcePrince to me.
I just don't like the idea of rapping in pidgin English. But I guess he did that to cover a larger market for his materials cos psquare revealed on their interview on d Wendy Williams show that pidgin has helped everybody that understands a lil bit of English to appreciate their songs.
I like the whiskey track in #FOZ tho

2 Likes

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 11:00pm On Nov 21, 2013
Senatoresq: I'm not a fan of detailing album reviews. I just compare an artiste's new album to the previous. so that said, ELI album defines IcePrince to me.
I just don't like the idea of rapping in pidgin English. But I guess he did that to cover a larger market for his materials cos psquare revealed on their interview on d Wendy Williams show that pidgin has helped everybody that understands a lil bit of English to appreciate their songs.
I like the whiskey track in #FOZ tho
Good point. I can relate with your point in the pidgin English rap. It makes his raps sound watered down. But hey, if it was to cover a larger market, I think it worked for him. Man must continue to chop. wink

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by UyiIredia(m): 11:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
Unfortunately, I ain't got and probably ain't getting the album. Even if I get a debit card the online price of album dey discourage person. But the singles are all great IMO, Aboki, Gimme Dat and I Swear. All smashing. But I didn't feel Tipsy. The thing is lyrics are almost the same so the beatz has to be top-notvh and Tipsy didn't cut it for me, tho' its good. If the tracks I've heard are anything to go buy the album is great but OBVIOUSLY Oleku from E.L.I kills them all, even without French Montana undecided

That said, trnature if you work in a good spot in the music industry you giys should work on how to make music distribution easy. Ideall, as I think, I should be able to get at most #200 MTN (or some othe network) crefit and use it to get an album. Whaddya think ?
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 12:13am On Nov 22, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Unfortunately, I ain't got and probably ain't getting the album. Even if I get a debit card the online price of album dey discourage person. But the singles are all great IMO, Aboki, Gimme Dat and I Swear. All smashing. But I didn't feel Tipsy. The thing is lyrics are almost the same so the beatz has to be top-notvh and Tipsy didn't cut it for me, tho' its good. If the tracks I've heard are anything to go buy the album is great but OBVIOUSLY Oleku from E.L.I kills them all, even without French Montana undecided

That said, trnature if you work in a good spot in the music industry you giys should work on how to make music distribution easy. Ideall, as I think, I should be able to get at most #200 MTN (or some othe network) crefit and use it to get an album. Whaddya think ?

Feel your concern bro. I'm not into music distribution. Not even close.
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 22, 2013
I tink jesse jagz album beat dis hands down..topnotrch production, no unnecesary features lyk d ones in FOZ.....ice prince is highly overrated IMO

5 Likes

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by tnature: 1:10pm On Nov 22, 2013
Otor jesse: I tink jesse jagz album beat dis hands down..topnotrch production, no unnecesary features lyk d ones in FOZ.....ice prince is highly overrated IMO

While you might be right, I think both artist have different audience. Ice prince is more of a commercial rapper(so it seems) while Jesse Jagz just wants to be him - nothing wrong with that as well.

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Oyetboy(m): 2:18pm On Nov 23, 2013
To me iceprince isn't a rapper....he sings

3 Likes

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by sambroose(m): 2:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
I become a fan of rap music all because of ice prince zamani ......that oleku song is still killing me
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Rilwayne001: 2:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
Wack aLbum

#team BGELIveth

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Elijah348(m): 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
hmmm i've seen the album review and it was spot on. But what most of you dont undastand is thet the reason ice-prince raps in pigin now a days is to be able to reach a more wider audiance because many nigerians do not undastand english that well and so settle for more made in nigerian raps frm the like of olamide,phyno,reminise....
And i kinda prefer him rapping in pigin cos it brings out the j.town spirit in him.
#myoppinion.
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by olorunthobby(f): 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2013
undecided undecided
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Elijah348(m): 2:45pm On Nov 23, 2013
Rilwayne001: Wack aLbum

#team BGELIveth

do not discredit other's work cos you dont like them and bsides where iceprince has reached with his wack album u havnt and with this attitude i aint sure you will.
#NoHatting.
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 23, 2013
Kaiiii photoshop Good Abegg...cee as this Boy dey spotLess!
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by MEILYN(m): 2:48pm On Nov 23, 2013
I have all the songs though lol. Great Album, i like Jambo, My Life, Whiskey, Pako, and No Die 2moro.
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by OGHENE316(m): 2:49pm On Nov 23, 2013
ice price stil dy use aboki flow take dy sing al h songs,anyway my album is better dan,i tank God 4 d masta plan against aboki coz am d VVIP, I SWEAR!!

1 Like

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Forzap: 2:50pm On Nov 23, 2013
Album of d year, #teamICEPRINCE cool
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Forzap: 2:54pm On Nov 23, 2013
Rilwayne001: Wack aLbum

#team BGELIveth

album wey u neva listen to,go die wif ur BGELIVETH
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by talktimi(m): 3:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Though he has some good singles, ice prince always sounds too monotonous like he's saying the same things over and over again on different beats and so i get bored easily with him. This is not a matter of commercial or keeping it real though since what i went through with the first album has discouraged me from going near his works again. Now you pick an album like the late Dagrin's c.e.o and you know you're listening to a classic, bangin beats, bangin punch lines and delivery (if you understand the language used) and relevant lyrics not just rhyming just because you have to rhyme. Dagrin kept it real and was commercial at the same time which i think hip hop should be really all about eg 2pac, Jay Z, Biggie.

5 Likes

Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by mjizzie(m): 3:07pm On Nov 23, 2013
Oyetboy: To me iceprince isn't a rapper....he sings
#gbam, he even sings with aboki tone
Re: Ice Prince - Fire Of Zamani! - Album Review by Andyblaze: 3:11pm On Nov 23, 2013
Mercy Is The Best track

Meanwhile

Don't dull on this thread just ---- CLICK HERE FOR A BETTER THREAD

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Is The Right Time To Start Playing Christmas Music? / ALBUM: M.I Abaga – The Chairman Full Album Download / Dudu Evans Of Sapientia 95.3 FM Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.