Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Opel Omega 2.0 Review - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Opel Omega 2.0 Review (8881 Views)

Buying 1997 Opel Vetra, Please Advise(photo)**modified** / Opel Omega Radio Code / How Much Can I Get A Used Opel Calibra Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opel Omega 2.0 Review by iCON3(m): 9:38am On Jul 10, 2008
Hi 'landers,
am considering buying an opel omega 2.0 with ecotec engine, automatic transmission.
can anyone who has had experience driving and maintaining this car give a review of it?
in terms of maintenance, spares availability, fuel consumption, durability and adaptibility to nigeria cause i don't see much of it on the roads.
Your inputs will be well appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 11, 2008
The 1,998cc Ecotec 16V motor in the Omega / Vectra suffers from cylinder head porosity.

They are troublesome even here in the UK, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Certainly not in Nigeria, where the problems would be worse, in terms of repairs / spares.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by itsolajide: 8:17am On Jul 11, 2008
Siena:

The 1,998cc Ecotec 16V motor in the Omega / Vectra suffers from cylinder head porosity.

They are troublesome even here in the UK, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Certainly not in Nigeria, where the problems would be worse, in terms of repairs / spares.

You are very correct. I owned one in the past and I have left it with the Mechanic since July 2007. The problems are too much. DON'T BUY IT, except you have cash for its maintainance.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by cybersleek(m): 11:40am On Jul 11, 2008
The 16v Omega is considered by some to be the worst Vauxhall/Opel ever made, myself included. If i were you, i would steer clear of the car, the vectra is better if you can get it, but then, it uses the same engine, and they are particularly prone to cylinder head failures, especially the the "red top variant". I had the previous version Omega with the C20NE engine, and it remains one of the most reliable cars i,ve owned till date. But, the same can't be said for its younger brother.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 12, 2008
Cybersleek, you've got it wrong.

The "Red Top" was used in the second generation Vauxhall / Opel Astra GTE 2,0 16V, Vauxhall / Opel Calibra 2,0 16V and the cylinder heads were cast by Cosworth.
These engines were ultra reliable, and remain a firm favourite amongst the GM fraternity.
The crankshaft was also a Cosworth item, pretty tough and light too.

Problems started when Vauxhall / Opel began to cast their own cylinder heads, and produce their own cranks to cut cost.
The cylinder heads became porous, and developed an insatiable hunger for head gaskets.
The cranks also put on weight.

The "Red Top" engines were pre-Ecotec.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by fotodaddy: 6:44am On Jul 13, 2008
Siena:

Problems started when Vauxhall / Opel began to cast their own cylinder heads, and produce their own cranks to cut cost.

Them think say e easy. smiley

But seriously, back in 2000 or so, I bought this car for a friend from Germany. And the guy used it for 5 years before selling it and didnt have a day of bother. Witht he engine that is. Duriing his fourth year of ownership, he started experiencing gear box issues. (it was an automatic). Changed the box a couple of time till he got a good one and the car was back in business.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by cybersleek(m): 11:59am On Jul 13, 2008
I concur baba Siena,

i think opels in themselves are not bad cars, provided you know the engines to beware of.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by bucktsai: 8:40pm On Nov 13, 2008
I have a opel omega 2002 model. Somehow since day 1 I purchased the vehicle the warning light keeps giving me problems. Emission warning, exhaust warning, I took the car back to service station many times already and problem still exist.

Do above mentioned issue has ever occred to one of the people at up stairs.

Thanks
Buck
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by jtoliver: 8:59pm On Nov 13, 2008
@bucktsai: in most cases for Opel cars, the engine warning light is because of a faulty sensor than anything else. I formerly owned an Opel Vectra with EcoTec engine for 5 years and it was built like a tank! very reliable car except for two things: (1) the engine management/engine warning light comes on often because of an easily-spoiled sensor which is apparently very sensitive to hot ambient temperatures; and (2) a easily gummed-up throttle body leading to sluggish acceleration and increased petrol consumption.

@iCON: It really depends if you really like the car. I suggest, however, that you find out as much as you can about it (i.e., technical specs, usual problems) in Opel- or Omega-specific forums. There are a lot out there, you just have to search online quite a bit. Better invest in some time to learn more than invest a lot of your hard-earned money now and regret it later.

good hunting!
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by bucktsai: 11:55pm On Nov 13, 2008
To: jtoliver

Thanks for the info. What you mentioned is very very close the the problem I experienced since I purchased the car. At beginning, the indicator only came on once every week, but now it came on every two days. Like you said the acceleration slower and fuel consumption increased( same as described in car user manual). Whenever I took the car for service and mentioned these problem to them they ALWAYS say to me that while they testing the car, the warning sign does not come on,

Must I live as it is now and forget the problem or is there a way to SLOW DOWN the frequency that the warning sign come on.

Great thanks for any tips and experience sharing.

Buck
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by geeniezone: 12:35am On Nov 14, 2008
pls can anyone advise me about the 2000 audi A8 quattro all-wheel drive.i'm about to buy this car. is it a good buy pls?

siena, i really need your contribution

thanks
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by jtoliver: 6:54am On Nov 14, 2008
@bucktsai:

I would assume that along with the check engine light, you are also experiencing erratic idling (RPM goes up and down like a swing). Anyway, there are some simple and inexpensive ways that you yourself (if you are car savvy) can do to see if your engine management light would go away:

One is to have your air filter element checked and, if really dirty, either cleaned (with compressed air) or replaced. I would advise the latter, though.

Two is to have the insides of your car engine's throttle body sprayed clean with carburetor/throttle body cleaner. This would dissolve the gunk (oil and other dirt) that has accumulated there. The throttle receives warm air from the engine manifold and along with it some oil spray, which through the years builds up and hampers the proper operation of the throttle body. Of course, cleaning the throttle body entails removing the attached hoses to expose its insides. Anyway, like I said, you can get a lot of guidance online. Just search for something like "cleaning throttle body opel" or similar.

Third, you might also want to have your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor cleaned and/or replaced.

Fourth, check the engine's oxygen sensor and replace if faulty (it is usually located along the exhaust manifold).

Fifth, and the most overlooked but probably one of the most important part of maintenance, is to have your car's spark plugs checked. The plugs tell a lot about the condition of your car. If one or two are in bad shape, replace them ALL. But make sure that they are properly gapped according to your car model's specifications (it's indicated in the car user manual).

Anyway, your friendly Opel service center should know what and where these are located in engine compartment of your car. Try suggestions 1, 2 and 5 first before changing any of the sensors I mentioned. Good luck!
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by geeniezone: 9:53am On Nov 14, 2008
@jtoliver

please can anyone advise me about the 2000 audi A8 quattro all-wheel drive.i'm about to buy this car. is it a good buy please?

thanks
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by bucktsai: 7:15pm On Nov 14, 2008

Thanks extremely much for the infos, I believe that with the info you provided, I can finally soon put those problems behind me for good.

I will print out those advises and give them to the OPEL service manager to identify the actual cause of problem before I ask them to service my car again. Whenever I service my car, they always give me many "new problems" I was not aware of and ask for money to repair them before dealing with the warning sign issues.

Yours sincerely,

Buck
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by jtoliver: 7:27pm On Nov 14, 2008
well, good luck buck (that rhymes)! and dont forget to update us on what the Opel service center says.
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by iCON3(m): 6:28am On Nov 16, 2008
@ all

Thanks a bunch.

Ciao
Re: Opel Omega 2.0 Review by bucktsai: 7:57pm On Jan 07, 2009

Sorry for the late reply. As I said previously, I print out your suggestions and hand it the serivce department. The technician had cleaned air filter and some other points you mentioned. Result: still not fixed. I will take the car to some other places and see if they can find something with your suggestions.

(1) (Reply)

2003 Toyota Corolla VS 2003 Toyota Matrix Versus 2003 Toyota Camry / Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! / Which Is Better; Lexus RX 350 Or Toyota Highlander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.