Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,318 members, 7,867,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 05:25 AM

Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? (970 Views)

Does The Bible Support Communism? / Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 / Christians - Do You Believe This? If Not Tell Me Why With Bible Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 8:25pm On Oct 31, 2013
Yes, Pastors on Nland talk to me. And dont forget that we are talking about the bible here so quote some texts, if not, whatever you say is believed to be a view from ur logical perspective.

Is The Bible Against Dating?
From Adam&Eve's story, can we say God derives joy when he sees a Man & Woman having feelings for each other?
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Ajibam: 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
dating is not Biblical,, it create room for lust and temptation do set it and destroy the daters destiny..

it is just the impersonation of courtship to destroy the life of the gullible youths that thirst for pleasure...

it doesn't add value to your life.

you may wait for the pastors to quote the Bible..
I was a victim too....
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
I just dnt know the way some of these christains think sometimes! That it is not in the bible doesnt mean it is wrong. Are you telln me u wunt date a girl at all bfr marrying her? Every relationship is unique in its own way, that ur frnd is lustful after his or her partner doesnt mean u and ur partner would be. Is it also biblical for our pastors to fly jets? Or is it also writtn in the bible? That is the main reason why some christians still dnt have a good marriage afterall the 'waiting upon the lord' cos they know vitually nofin about their partner or relationship itself.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Ajibam: 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
^^^I won't date before marriage, I will court..
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 31, 2013
Ajibam: ^^^I won't date before marriage, I will court..
what is the diff btw courting and dating? U just decide to change the english for ur own biblical reason right? As far as it is, wether you are dating or courting her, it is the same thing! Both male and female are involved in both dating and courting
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Ajibam: 6:27am On Nov 01, 2013
^^^same??

now in this dying world, 12years old child is dating...
will he carry his gf or bf to her/his parent for introduction??
courtship is the relationship between fiance and fiancee for minimum of 6 months to knows him or her more and introduce to parents and friends...
it entails no sexual relationship..
90%.of youths dating now are doing it for sex ,that's y virginity is scarce..
the 10% will soon join them because they are playing game with Satan...

you need to go for marriage seminars... it helps
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 01, 2013
Ajibam: ^^^same??

courtship is the relationship between fiance and fiancee for minimum of 6 months to knows him or her more and introduce to parents and friends...

congrat on dating your wife-to-be for only 6mnths. That is when you will know the essence of dating. Once again, not all dating is meants for sex, you can choose to standout! U mean u will see the girl today and take her to your parents the followin day right?
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 01, 2013
Preceedo: Yes, Pastors on Nland talk to me. And dont forget that we are talking about the bible here so quote some texts, if not, whatever you say is believed to be a view from ur logical perspective.

Is The Bible Against Dating?
From Adam&Eve's story, can we say God derives joy when he sees a Man & Woman having feelings for each other?

Nice topic but there is a need to let us have your understanding of the word "dating"...

I have come to realise over time that a number of persons mistake 'dating' to mean having illicit sex because they lack a proper understanding of what 'dating' really is.

So before I can contribute to the discourse I need to understand your thoughts on "dating". What do you think 'dating' is??
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Ajibam: 10:08am On Nov 01, 2013
OlamiB:
congrat on dating your wife-to-be for only 6mnths. That is when you will know the essence of dating. Once again, not all dating is meants for sex, you can choose to standout! U mean u will see the girl today and take her to your parents the followin day right?

Mr.man...that's y I said minimum of 6 month. if you are convinced that she is yours...y not
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Ajibam: 10:14am On Nov 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Nice topic but there is a need to let us have your understanding of the word "dating"...

I have come to realise over time that a number of persons mistake 'dating' to mean having illicit sex because they lack a proper understanding of what 'dating' really is.

So before I can contribute to the discourse I need to understand your thoughts on "dating". What do you think 'dating' is??

man trying to help God choose for themselves..
dating starts from ""love at first sight "
choosing for yourself because of your loose feelings..
a great application to temptation
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hey boss...

Ajibam:

man trying to help God choose for themselves..

I am not sure what you mean by the above but I am thinking you may be implying that making a decision to 'date' ultimately means shutting God out of the process of finding a life partner. If this is what you mean then I am sorry to say that you are not entirely correct.

We should understand that God never really chooses for us. That decision he lives for us to do. He may suggest who he wants but he does not force any choice on us. The important thing here is that irrespective of who we choose as our life partner, we should endeavour to get the union blessed by God.

Ajibam: dating starts from ""love at first sight "

Um...sorry to burst your bubble but dating does not really start there, if at all there is anything like 'love at first sight'. Dating is more or less like an activity which need not be performed by 'lovers'. I guess at this juncture it will only be appropriate to ask you this: What do you think dating is?

Ajibam:
choosing for yourself because of your loose feelings..
a great application to temptation

Um...not quite...

Dating has nothing to do with one's feelings as you suggest.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Ajibam: 1:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
striktlymi: Hey boss...

I am not sure what you mean by the above but I am thinking you may be implying that making a decision to 'date' ultimately means shutting God out of the process of finding a life partner. If this is what you mean then I am sorry to say that you are not entirely correct.

We should understand that God never really chooses for us. That decision he lives for us to do. He may suggest who he wants but he does not force any choice on us. The important thing here is that irrespective of who we choose as our life partner, we should endeavour to get the union blessed by God.

Um...sorry to burst your bubble but dating does not really start there, if at all there is anything like 'love at first sight'. Dating is more or less like an activity which need not be performed by 'lovers'. I guess at this juncture it will only be appropriate to ask you this: What do you think dating is?

Um...not quite...

Dating has nothing to do with one's feelings as you suggest.

am not boss ooo...lol
all the thing you posted there is courtship not dating...

God doesn't force his will on us,but if you reject it,you have just fail...
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ajibam:

am not boss ooo...lol

Lol!!!

In my books every moderator is a boss. Don't worry, it's an act of respect and you guys deserve it.

Ajibam:
all the thing you posted there is courtship not dating...

Nah, courtship is quite different. Let me see how best to explain this...

I will start with an attempt at defining what I see as 'dating'.

Dating, for me, is a medium (or platform if you choose) where two consenting adults go out socially in order to decipher if both of them are compatible enough to start a relationship while having marriage in view.

The above definition for some may seem like courtship but a cursory look would reveal the difference. The above basically is the first step towards starting a relationship that may lead to marriage. For me, the steps (though not always necessary) to getting married is thus:

Dating ===>> Courtship ===>> Espousal ===>> Marriage

The above process is not exactly cast in stone and following that 'route map' does not always guaranty a happy married life but it will to some extent help one make an informed decision on the individual he or she is thinking of getting married to. This is by the way.

Now, the difference(s) between 'Dating' and 'Courtship' is (are) not clear cut but still this (these) difference(s) exist(s). Some notable differences between the two are:

1) One can be courted without the individual going out socially but it is impossible to date without it.

2) The goal of dating is to determine if two individuals are compatible enough to start up a relationship while courting aims at building a 'Romantic' bond between these individuals. By Romance I do not mean sex and the likes.

3) Dating helps one have an on the surface view of an individual but courtship helps one know and understand the individual a bit more.

4) Etc.

Ajibam:
God doesn't force his will on us,but if you reject it,you have just fail...

True!
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by tpia5: 4:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
dating without intent to marry, while engaging in sex or sex related acts, is not encouraged.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ajibam: dating is not Biblical,, it create room for lust and temptation do set it and destroy the daters destiny..

it is just the impersonation of courtship to destroy the life of the gullible youths that thirst for pleasure...

it doesn't add value to your life.

you may wait for the pastors to quote the Bible..
I was a victim too....

Don't you think it is immorality God asks us to desist from? "There is time for everything" The bible says. Don't you think there are time to date and court- WITHOUT SE.XUAL IMMORALITY?
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 6:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
tpia@:
dating without intent to marry, while engaging in sex or sex related acts, is not encouraged.
What of without intent to marry but no SIN?
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ajibam: ^^^same??

From ur assertion it is evident that it is the Age factor that makes it a sin or not. Ryt?
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by tpia5: 6:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
Preceedo:
What of without intent to marry but no SIN?

if you mean dating without intent to marry and no sex, that's friendship.

if you mean having sex without any intention of marrying, that's booty call and is not supported in the bible.

engage in it at your own risk or (in)discretion.

may God save us from all these diverse lusts.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
tpia@:

if you mean having sex without any intention of marrying, that's booty call and is not supported in the bible.

May I ask what your definition of dating is. It seems we are seeing dating from different angle. To me, Dating is having feelings for somebody and bcoz of dis feeling u start a relationship and thus drag him frm being just a friend to a PARTNER. So I think Dating is more dan friendship as suggested by YOU.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 8:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
tpia@:

May I ask what your definition of dating is. It seems we are seeing dating from different angle. To me, Dating is having feelings for somebody and bcoz of dis feeling u start a relationship and thus drag him frm being just a friend to a PARTNER. So I think Dating is more dan friendship against ur assertion.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by tpia5: 12:50pm On Nov 02, 2013
You asked what of without intent to marry and no sex.

That's friendship which you're mistakenly calling dating.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2013
tpia@:
You asked what of without intent to marry and no sex.

That's friendship which you're mistakenly calling dating.

But it seems the bible does not support dating since it exposes us to lust and all sort of se.xual sins.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by tpia5: 7:51pm On Nov 02, 2013
if by dating you mean booty call then obviously the bible doesnt support it.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by magkhan(f): 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2013
Op,from your point of view,you referring to being in love with a girl,dating her without sex....well the bible is not against such.....
but remember that there are appearances of sin.been in such a relationship without marriage in mind is a bit dangerous,you are putting yourself directly in the line of sexual temptation...by mere thought of sex or romance with her you have sinned...so why play with fire...
the easiest way to avoid sexual sin is to avoid companies that reminds you of such which includes the dating you referring to....
it's true that God doesn't force his will on us,but you can ask for his will ( which is usually the best) to be made manifest in your life
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by Preceedo(m): 12:21am On Nov 03, 2013
magkhan: Op,from your point of view,you referring to being in love with a girl,dating her without sex....well the bible is not against such.....
but remember that there are appearances of sin.been in such a relationship without marriage in mind is a bit dangerous,you are putting yourself directly in the line of sexual temptation...by mere thought of sex or romance with her you have sinned...so why play with fire...
the easiest way to avoid sexual sin is to avoid companies that reminds you of such which includes the dating you referring to....
it's true that God doesn't force his will on us,but you can ask for his will ( which is usually the best) to be made manifest in your life

Dating exposes us to se.xual sins, so xtians shouldn't date. Message received thanks sis.
Re: Does The Bible Support Or Negate Dating? by MrCork: 11:20pm On Feb 19, 2020
magkhan:
Op,from your point of view,you referring to being in love with a girl,dating her without sex....well the bible is not against such.....
but remember that there are appearances of sin.been in such a relatio smileynship without marriage in mind is a bit dangerous,you are putting yourself directly in the line of sexual temptation...by mere thought of sex or romance with her you have sinned...so why play with fire...

hi, please do u hav nyansh? smiley

(1) (Reply)

A Review Of 2013 Prophecies / Supernatural Turnaround!come And God Will Visit You. / How Can I Learn To Not Take Offense At Little Things?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.