Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,090 members, 7,821,769 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply (2517 Views)

Buhari Orders Mass Retirement Of Permanent Secretaries / Buhari Plans Mass Retirement Of Corrupt Military Leaders / Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by techbuddie(f): 10:46pm On Oct 31, 2013
Mods abeg, this has to hit the front page.

In case you missed this series, see summary;

Jason Njoku (CEO of iROKO Partners) fired 13 staffs on the 17th of October. These guys had no prior notice to what was going to happen, they got to work after the public holiday on O=the 17th of October and they were shown the door. Jason went to his blog (as usual) and he posted this => http://www.jason.com.ng/post/64306404376/today-i-had-to-retire-13-people trying to make people believe it was a tough decision.

(I don't really want to write on my personal opinion of what is going on in iROKO Partners as I'm only trying to report this. I think interested peeps should find Staffs/Ex Staffs and ask them questions. You all will be DAZED)

Days after, iROKO Partners sent out a PR to blogs and news sites aiming to damage Michael Ugwu and the staff's reputation (contradicting Jason's own original post)
Press release from Jessica Hope, Global Communications Officer of Iroko Partners.

We can confirm that Michael Ugwu is no longer the CEO of iROKING and has left the company. He was dismissed earlier this month with immediate effect for gross misconduct. It came to light that, whilst under contract and salary of iROKING, Michael Ugwu set up and launched his own digital music platform, in direct competition with iROKING. This is an unequivocal breach of the robust non-compete and confidentiality clause he signed when he joined the iROKO team. We will not be divulging any further details on the subject matter for legal reasons.

A number of the iROKING staff have also been dismissed on the grounds of gross misconduct. This action, alongside the dismissal of Michael Ugwu, was taken by the iROKO Management team in order to protect the intellectual property and reputation of our online music platform, as well as our artists’ work.

As part of an organisation-wide restructure, we have decided to streamline the iROKING team based in Lagos, and have now redistributed a number of the core tasks across our global teams in London and New York. These changes have been made in order to make the strategic and day-to-day running of iROKING more effective and productive.

Those who left the company have been given a generous six weeks’ severance pay, which is 50% more than stated in their employee contracts.

iROKING, as one of Nigeria’s leading digital music platforms, continues to showcase some of the country’s most prolific and exciting artists. Since launch, we have recorded over 350 Million YouTube hits for our artists and we have over 1.1 Million users downloading tracks from our online and mobi platforms every month. We remain committed to our artists and our users and continue on our mission to support and develop digital distribution for Nigerian artists. We expect to announce a new CEO for iROKING in the coming months.

Response to Alleged Termination of iROKING CEO Michael Ugwu

I would like to state for the record that a decision to wind down iROKING was taken before the iROKO management “apparently’” fired me. I was verbally asked to become COO of Spark Ltd which I summarily refused stating my intention to stay in the music space. It has been clear for some time that iROKO Partners wanted to exit the music space culminating in the winding down of iROKING so I am still fully trying to understand how I would set up a platform to compete with a platform that was to be “scrapped” according to Mr Jason Njoku.

For the record I would like to see physical evidence of the digital platform I have set up. A copy of the apparent companies registration will suffice. I also strongly suggest to the management of iROKO Partners that rather than sending out press releases and writing blog posts on their personal blogs they should first tidy their house and/or pursue serious legal action.

In the land of iROKO I guess restructuring means getting out of a sector. Nigerian artists please beware of iROKO Partners apparent commitment to developing the digital distribution space. (Please see attached screenshot)

In the Ventures Africa blog post I was fortunate enough to read Jason Njoku’s mention of a 6 week “generous” severance package for iROKO staff however to date all the iROKO staff affected in this saga have not received such. I implore serious investigative journalists to verify his claims. Seek out former staff and ask questions.

I believe that Jason Nkoju has possibly spent far too long distributing Nollywood films online so much so that some of the sensationalist story lines influence him.

If iROKO Partners wishes to pursue legal actions I suggest they do such or I will see this is flagrant defamation of character.

Last year iROKO Partners Lagos had circa 80 staff, now there are circa 15 remaining. At a time many of us were loyal to the iROKO cause, however serious structural issues have arisen so much so that many have felt it safer to find employment elsewhere. I wish the remaining staff members and management the best of luck in their future endeavours.

Thank you for all the phone calls and text messages showing concern.I am working on something rather exciting and will be announcing my next
venture in the coming weeks.

Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by TerraCotta(m): 11:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
Interesting--tell us more. Why doesn't the former CEO completely deny the allegation?

iRoko got a lot of international coverage during their expansion. Sad to see the business imploding so quickly.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
poor things.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by ajetunde: 11:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
This is going to be a HIT. Space booked.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by idupaul: 12:02am On Nov 01, 2013
Hmm
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by techbuddie(f): 12:04am On Nov 01, 2013
UPDATE: AN EX EMPLOYEE OF IROKO SPEAKS to Uduak of AML => http://africamusiclaw.com/2013/10/aml-exclusive-ex-iroko-employee-opens-up-about-alleged-maltreatment-of-staff-by-co-founders-jason-njoku-bastian-gotter.html

We have seen and heard what IROKO has to say about the firing of its employees and also its CEO Michael Ugwu. Now an ex-employee opens up about the maltreatment allegedly present in the IROKO camp.

Further, following up with the press statement published by Jason Njoku/IROKO, below is an additional statement shared with me.

I will revisit the legal issues (mostly employment/labour law issues) present in a future post; and a basic PR 101 for entrepreneurs, especially startups, post as soon as is possible.

Bolded and underlined statements are my additions without changing any text, to make sure I highlight the legal issues I want you all to pay attention to.

Cheers,

Uduak

” . . . We are simply tired.

This evening we have also found out that Jason Njoku apparently released some information stating that he fired our former head of unit michael ugwu in an Ventures Africa blog. This is Jason again chasing sensational headlines without addressing the real issues. He states in the release that he paid us a generous package of severance when i have not received one kobo to date. Honestly speaking our former head of unit has been looking after us during this trying time so we are all pretty upset his name is being tarnished by Jason Njoku.”

Good day Uduak,

I am a former staff of iROKO Partners working on iROKING.com. I am sure you may receive many aggrieved staff emails but I can assure that I am simply attempting to highlight a serious breach of the employee employer code.

I and 13 other members of staff were sacked with no reason given, no offense stated and till date no severance paid.

In the last year around 40 staff have either left iroko partners by resignation or summarily dismissed for no specific reason.

As a company looked at with respect in the tech/media space it is the responsibility of firms like iROKO to ensure responsible structures are created for those that are employed by the company.

The high staff turnover witnessed in recent times is due to the undemocratic management style of Jason Njoku and Bastian Gotter. On the day we were sacked we were summoned into Jasons office and told to go down and pack our things that he was scrapping iroking and we were not needed anymore. This was almost 2 weeks ago and till date we have not received any severance or explanation. Jason will not speak to us but is busy typing on his blog how he will recommend us for other positions. He has informed security to not allow us back in the building and has ignored our need for closure on this.

Many of us have been living in fear regarding job security which Jason and Bastian were well aware of. Often times they would line us up l and tell us that we need them and they do not need us because they are millionaires That they are lords of the land who do not go to the bank but the bank comes to them. Many including our former CFO resigned based on these undemocratic tendencies displayed by the two.

On the day we were fired we were called and told that Jason wanted us to beg for our jobs back but that we would face a demotion. 2 staff members who are still currently students did call and beg and were welcomed back but with the demotion. This is not the first time staff have been told to beg and many of us would rather stay at home and go hungry than beg Jason or Bastian.

Both have lived abroad unlike many of us and should know better than to behave in the manner they do.

Foreign investors are investing into a business who may have a business model they like but how they treat their staff and clients is another thing. Many artists and record labels only deal with iROKO based on the Head of iROKINGs good relationships in the industry. He has now left the company. Many Nollywood producers are tired of the high handedness of these two characters.

The company is in the process of setting up a nollywood studio in which they hope to employ formerly independent movie producers, tying them into long term unfair contracts based on the lure of money.

As at now iROKO are threatening artists to sign documents to enforce that they can only work with them.

There are many more things that have happened over the 3 years I have been in the companies employ.
Many former staff members are willing to come forward and open up on their treatment whilst with iroko partners.

I wish Jason and Bastian the best but I would also like to know why I was fired like I was. They also need to be held to account for their actions but there is no board we are aware of to contact and no grievance/complaint policy inhouse.

. . .Thanks for taking the time to listen”
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by ladygogo: 12:49am On Nov 01, 2013
Oh wow!

This thread needs to hit front page.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by BabaEleko(m): 2:28am On Nov 01, 2013
Nothing ever works in Nigeria. No labour law, no labour court.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by talktimi(m): 2:50am On Nov 01, 2013
Pls who has a biro here ?
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by Jeel: 5:04am On Nov 01, 2013
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by Nobody: 6:29am On Nov 01, 2013
These men would pull down their business with their own hands. Their attitudes reek of pride.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by collynzo2(m): 6:48am On Nov 01, 2013
Idiotic and moronic gossips on here.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by sfulling: 7:38am On Nov 01, 2013
Guys,

Some key insight to the iROKO saga;

No professional with good experience worked in iROKO for 13months.

Currently only one business development person works in Africa and she is German/Nigeria. South African office is a dead business and will only take few months to close down.

Few months ago, it was discovered that jason and Bash got an average of $2m as their wages for 2years. Now tell me what is left if the last venture capital gave them $2m.

They are currently hoping to get another $20m but this fund is diverted into Spark. iROKOtv is killing the movie industry and producers and stakeholders must be smart.

Please ask the management of iROKO why the cordial relationship between them and Emem Nsong has gone cold. Even Desmond Eliot and other key players have backed out of the iroko relationship.

Why do every staff who leaves iroko receive threats?

How would you feel if your boss tells you *F..k off* every time there is a general meeting.

Recently Jason deducted N500 from all staff salary because they refused to buy his son a gift when mary gave birth.

Guys. Find out all the above facts and you will be amazed.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by talktimi(m): 8:06am On Nov 01, 2013
Stella Oduah is obviously at fault for all these #irokomess
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by kodewrita(m): 8:45am On Nov 01, 2013
^^ Like your signature and the apparent attempt to diffuse the tension with some humour.

I would suggest you guys come together and get a good lawyer to help seek redress if you feel you have grounds. I suspect there might be but dont waste time and dont get dragged into fighting this battle on social media/newspapers.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by ajetunde: 10:14am On Nov 01, 2013
Read comments from the post on Venture Africa => http://www.ventures-africa.com/2013/10/iroking-fires-ceo-michael-ugwu/
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by obowunmi(m): 11:31am On Nov 01, 2013
Woow
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by yomalex(m): 11:37am On Nov 01, 2013
like seriously?
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by kingthreat(m): 12:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
How does what happen within this company become my personal business? When them dey enjoy their money, they invite anybody for here join? Abeg better things to think about. Good to know the online music business in Nigeria is very profitable. Investors things on my mind.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by Chanchit: 1:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Why are this guys asking a question they have aswered already..? They want to knw why they were sacked..? K, lemme tell them, the management wants them to beg for their jobs, and since they can't beg they should just move on and stop whinning jor, afterall the people that can begged still have their jobs.
Re: BREAKING: Iroko Partners Scheme, Retirement Of Staff, Iroking Former Ceo's Reply by sfulling: 1:08pm On Nov 01, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Dumps Oritsejafor / Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? / A Nairalanders Portrait Of Iara Fortes Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.