Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals (14326 Views)

Buhari Orders Mass Retirement Of Permanent Secretaries / Anger In Military Over Amnesty Report / Buhari Plans Mass Retirement Of Corrupt Military Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 22, 2013
Tension in military over promotion, retirement of Generals

on November 22, 2013 / in News 12:57 am
ABUJA—Ahead of the yearly promotion and retirement of senior officers of the Nigerian Military by the Army, Navy and Air Force Councils, headed by President Goodluck Jonathan, Vanguard has gathered that anxiety and palpable tension has gripped those expected to go through the screening of various boards in this regard, with many officers resorting to extra-terrestrial means to see them through.

Vanguard gathered from reliable military sources that the situation became inevitable following discovery that while over 150 senior officers of the ranks of Colonels and Brigadier Generals were qualified to be promoted to the next ranks of Brigadier Generals and Major Generals across the three services, having met the criteria of attending the National Defence College and its equivalent from across the world, there were vacancies for only about 65 Generals across board.

Men of the Colour Party on parade during the exchange of Presidential Guards as part of events to mark the 51st National Day Celebrations at the State House, Abuja. Photo by Abayomi Adeshida

It was further gathered that many officers including Colonels and Brigadier Generals who had missed promotions on two previous occasions are the most affected because if they fail to pass the screening this time around, they will be automatically disengaged from service at the attainment of age on rank.

Consequently, many of the officers have thrown caution to the winds and resorted to the employment of prayer warriors in either the Pentecostal or ProtestantChurches, or employment of spiritually gifted pastors who claim they can see and invoke what will happen ahead, while some are on dry fasting.

The employment of Marabouts and Islamic soothsayers is also not left out and this is said to apply to officers of both religions, with promises of special offerings and donations if they are promoted.

On the larger national scene, many officers are said to be lobbying Emirs, top class traditional rulers, top politicians, presidency top shots and those believed to have the ears of the military high command to ensure that certain officers are favoured in the promotions.

However, Vanguard gathered that one of the leading services involved has taken measures which could be categorized as fool-proof to checkmate interference by politicians including Governors and ministers by ensuring physical appearance before the promotion boards and carrying out verbal examination whose outcome will be there for everybody to see and assess.

Such performance will also be recalled in the case of any petition or counter claim by any officer who may decide to employ sympathetic measures to try to hoodwink the unsuspecting public in the event that things did not go his or her way.

Concerning retirement, Vanguard gathered that the same scenario applies especially to the Colonels and Brigadier-Generals rank and their equivalent in the Air force and the Navy, as many of them will be proceeding on terminal leave once they are not able to secure promotions to the next rank.

For the rank of Major General and equivalent in the services, it was gathered that only a few officers across board will be asked to go by next year having attained the mandatory 36years in service or having attained the age on rank in accordance with the terms and conditions of service.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/tension-military-promotion-retirement-generals/#sthash.Q7fTpn1A.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Ichel: 8:14am On Nov 22, 2013
Space for sale
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by shevon: 8:37am On Nov 22, 2013
chukwudi44: Tension in military over promotion, retirement of Generals

on November 22, 2013 / in News 12:57 am
ABUJA—Ahead of the yearly promotion and retirement of senior officers of the Nigerian Military by the Army, Navy and Air Force Councils, headed by President Goodluck Jonathan, Vanguard has gathered that anxiety and palpable tension has gripped those expected to go through the screening of various boards in this regard, with many officers resorting to extra-terrestrial means to see them through.

Are you serious? shocked

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by john4jesus2007: 10:52am On Nov 22, 2013
However,whatever,oga at d tops must have their untouchables
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by gurnam: 11:06am On Nov 22, 2013
So where is the tension.....it's a routine exercise twice a year.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 22, 2013
My Oga is retiring Dec this year as a Maj Gen after 33years of meritorious service in the NA. God Bless The GodFather, God Bless NA.
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Olugbenger(m): 1:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
This is my time to make money.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Fadelex(m): 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
all of them cannot get to d peak of their career but I think Nigeria military ought to have expand more than it is. Nigeria military is lacking sufficient manpower, I have a friend that haven't gone home in 18months... from one mission to another and during my mission in d north east, a colleague of mine has spent 12 consecutive months without leave. If more battalions and divisions are created, It will give more space for promotion. to d retired officers in waiting... congratulations.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by ebamma(m): 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
i see
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Bishop4bella(m): 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2013
What is the tension that. Retirement is inevitable and if u desire not to retire, mr dealth is there to retire you since u ar tired.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Tundenoni(m): 2:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Useless people!
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Ayorh4you(m): 2:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
God help my uncle.
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Wizdray: 2:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
Owk
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by instinctg(m): 2:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
There's nothing unusual about this, every organisation has a pyramid structure, d higher d tougher

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by priscaoge(f): 2:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ok well noted. I can see that those old cargos don't wanna retire and liv da office for the youths. Anyways I didn't see any tension tho.
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Osinachi101(m): 2:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
Hmmn......... Well even me will b retiring too! I have served in my capacity well. Shey una knw baa?
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by saintvc(m): 2:19pm On Nov 22, 2013
So they dont overthrow goodluck.
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by amuniiopz(m): 2:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
Mak dem go jare...corrupt set of people...anytin abt uniform job na connection...de shuld retire mak gud young officers tak over.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by ayusco85(m): 2:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
This is serious.

If they need A̶̲̥̅ very strong baba, i can take them there if they pay M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥. One hand their promotion will be approved
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Charbless(m): 2:28pm On Nov 22, 2013
Make way for the young one to try. And besides, our Farms are waiting for the Retired soldiers. God bless NA
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by cdoffx(m): 2:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
God pls help my dear Colonel.. Served in very tough situation both in internal and external ops. Once led 800men to Sudan and came back with not a single man missing or dead.
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Wizkhalifa2(m): 2:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
I wonder when SEUN and his MODS would retire and leave nairaland for us!
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by pappilo(m): 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2013
chukwudi44:

Vanguard has gathered that anxiety and palpable tension has gripped those expected to go through the screening of various boards in this regard, with many officers resorting to extra-terrestrial means to see them through.

LWKMD at the bolded... Alien tingz for promotion grin
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by 50calibre(m): 2:36pm On Nov 22, 2013
This is an effective method used by many leaders, in a bid to consolidate their hold on power. Retire the generals who pose a threat, & promote those loyal to you.
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Lilimax(f): 2:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
Get rid of those that are sabotaging the efforts of JTF sad
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by tamotech(m): 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 22, 2013
"Extra-terrestrial"...

grin
Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 22, 2013
Rubbish like i give a fvck about the fvcktards that make up the Nigerian military, bunch of old farts that only know how to consume beer and pepper soup and harass bloody civilians, i say retire all of them and send them to farm.

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by AustineE1: 2:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
instinctg: There's nothing unusual about this, every organisation has a pyramid structure, d higher d tougher
....just hope that after the promotion Exams has been completed and people are promoted on merit!no tribe,i repeat no region shld come and start disturbing us with their usual petition of being stiffled out of the system!we know those who are good at media propaganga and their co-anarchists from the other end...if one Adewumi doesnt petition national assembly then one Abubakar will petition (ACF)Arewa Consultative Forum.

3 Likes

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by Elueme: 2:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
cdoffx: God pls help my dear Colonel.. Served in very tough situation both in internal and external ops. Once led 800men to Sudan and came back with not a single man missing or dead.
that is a good testimony deserving nothing less than a promotion but naija as usual promotes mediocres

1 Like

Re: Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals by amuniiopz(m): 3:02pm On Nov 22, 2013
Austine.E:

....just hope that after the promotion Exams has been completed and people are promoted on merit!no tribe,i repeat no region shld come and start disturbing us with their usual petition of being stiffled out of the system!we know those who are good at media propaganga and their co-anarchists from the other end...if one Adewumi doesnt petition national assembly then one Abubakar will petition (ACF)Arewa Consultative Forum.
anoda errand boi hea...yu shal knw dem by dea name...wetin dis 1 de tlk??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Man Defeats Incumbent In Lagos For Reps / Case Against Four #EndSARS Protesters Dismissed By Abuja Court / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.