Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,407 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:48 AM

Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! (823 Views)

12 Prominent Nigerian Leaders Yet To Congratulate President-elect, GMB / GEJ, Buhari, IBB, Other Past Nigerian Leaders At Council Of State Meeting Abuja / Nigeria Is So Corrupt It Would Be Better To Burn Our Aid Money- Britain! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by ladionline: 8:07am On Nov 01, 2013
Happy new month Nigeria! Few days ago i was sharing with friends on an argument, why are Nigerian leaders are so corrupt! to me the reason is obvious- it's fear of poverty. This disguises as fear of loosing everything one has only to become so poor. To cure this fear, you need a lot of money continuously, and with it a selfish reason for self preservation. The corrupt leaders were living in the consciousness of 'fear of fear' that has not happened. As such, taking advantage of the nation's wealth become inevitable. Corruption is fear-prompt.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by ITbomb(m): 8:51am On Nov 01, 2013
It is because of tribalism.
Tribalism limits the power of justice and a society without a dependable form of punishment and reward breeds corruption.
For instance , why is Ghana less corrupt? because everyone (rich or poor) knows that if he does anything wrong they will be caught and punish.
In Nigeria , you steal with impunity , if you are caught , you cry tribalism and your poeple will gather around you and shield you = Justice Denied , there making another bolder to steal even more.
The fear of poverty should encourage hardwork and excellence in an equal opportunity, detribalised society.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by Dawn123(f): 8:59am On Nov 01, 2013
spot on.....well said
[quote
author=ITbomb]It is because of tribalism.
Tribalism limits the power of justice and a society without a dependable
form of punishment and reward breeds corruption.
For instance , why is Ghana less corrupt? because everyone (rich or
poor) knows that if he does anything wrong they will be caught and
punish.
In Nigeria , you steal with impunity , if you are caught , you cry
tribalism and your poeple will gather around you and shield you =
Justice Denied , there making another bolder to steal even more.
The fear of poverty should encourage hardwork and excellence in an equal
opportunity, detribalised society.[/quote]
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by ladionline: 9:38am On Nov 01, 2013
Good points, but note that what i am stressing is not poverty per se, but the fear of it - a phsycological problem and not material problem so to say.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by Caseless: 10:18am On Nov 01, 2013
Yes, we knw why they're so corrupt. What can we do to make them less corrupt? We can only make our leaders less corrupt when we vote not based on religion, ethnicity, region , etc, like we did in 2011. We can also make our leaders less corrupt by avoiding this mentality of ; 'na we oyel, na we son', or,
'odua is our daughter, leave her alone cos she's not d only one who has stolen'..wtf? The dormancy of our judiciary or justice system has even helped to firmly root corruption in this country and this why our society appear 'peace-less' to d outside world cos our judiciary is not working and has ceded power to executive arm.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by ladionline: 10:29am On Nov 01, 2013
THAT'S 9'S. we must alwayz speak in one accord against corruption.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by Caseless: 10:44am On Nov 01, 2013
ladionline: THAT'S 9'S. we must alwayz speak in one accord against corruption.
yes, i mean , write it in 'CAPS'.
I think we should also try and make all these socio-cultural groups , who think they have something to say whenever one of their own is involved, irrelevant by law...cos they are not helping issues. Fawking bunch of tribalists!
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by ladionline: 11:45am On Nov 01, 2013
caseless: yes, i mean , write it in 'CAPS'.
I think we should also try and make all these socio-cultural groups , who think they have something to say whenever one of their own is involved, irrelevant by law...cos they are not helping issues. Fawking bunch of tribalists!
ALL HANDS MUST BE ON DECK, WE SHOULD NOT WASTE OUR REVOLUTION TO ENTHRONE EQUITY, JUSTICE AND FAIRNESS.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by tonytony208(m): 12:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
If u ask me, i will say jungle justice on corrupt politicians and public office holders is the way out of corruption.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by omenka(m): 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2013
I get this feeling from time to time that these "leaders" know what we all are oblivious of. I'm suspecting they know the end of this nation is at hand so they are all in a mad rush to get all they can so they can continue with their opulent lifestyle in a post-nigeria era. Just my thought.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by omenka(m): 12:53pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by Caseless: 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
ladionline: ALL HANDS MUST BE ON DECK, WE SHOULD NOT WASTE OUR REVOLUTION TO ENTHRONE EQUITY, JUSTICE AND FAIRNESS.
spot-on!
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by stunning4real: 5:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
Not only leaders are corrupts, most people in Nigeria are corrupt. U can not get contract if u dnt bribe, some will even give u nd expect commission. Some1 who is corrupt in a little way, will definitely when giving an opportunity in a big form. Even those shouting our leaders are corrupt, they themself are corrupt in their own little way.
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by sarutobie(m): 6:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Because the followers(who eventually become leaders) are also corrupt..the 'leaders' did not come out from thin air or from foreign countries..they came from families,communities here in nigeria..when the family,community,religious gatherings fail in their respective roles,there is no way they will produce the kind of leader you fantasize about..'Snake dey born snake'..
Re: Why Nigerian Leaders Are So Corrupt! by ladionline: 2:19pm On Nov 03, 2013
Thats what i mean by poverty of the mind. Curruption in nigeria is a plague, sort of. If you take a tribe and sort a sample, you will be alarm at the "me-too" attitude of Nigerians to corruption. Thats too poor, poorer than poverty. Should opportunity present itself, such individual become notorious to get even with attainment of their perceived oppressors at public expense. WE ARE THE ONES "DOING" OURSELVES TAKING VAIN PRIDE IN VANITY FAIR.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Nigerian Ex-minister, Silas Ilo Dies In London At 73 / Ngige's Sister Debarred In USA For Alleged Money Laundering For Ngige - Thisday / Which Union Is The Most Powerful In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.