Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,318 members, 7,811,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home (12177 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 11:20am On Nov 01, 2013
This is a Fictional Story on what Nigerians in Diaspora faces from their Families and Friends at home.

Ayo left Nigeria for better life. He got a job as a security man standing in front of a Chemist Store. Watching that no one steals. He stands in the cold weather, even on bitterly cold days, for eery little money, al least it meets his needs.

That money he has to pay; Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Health Insurance, Road Tax, Income Tax, Property/Mortgage Tax, Rent Bill, Gas Bill, Phone Bill, Feed Children & Education, buy Clothes etc.

Mama rings from Nigeria.. (with Yoruba accent) "Ayo, you have forgotten your mother... I think it is your wife that is telling you not to send me money"

Baba rings... (Yoruba accent) "Ayo, when are you going to build a house? All your mates are building up and down"

Brother rings, "Uncle Ayo, you have forgotten me, we are roasting here oo.. Please send something na"

Sister rings, "Brother Ayo, I just got admission to university, please I need school fees"

Phone rings "Ayo de Ayo!!!... Do you remember me, it's me Tunde, we use to live in Ketu together in "face me I face you"... Please anything at all for me?"

Phone rings, Ayo, it's me, your Father's Brother's Sister's, Grandmother's, Daughter's Son.. "My Mother's, sister's, senior brother's wife died... Please I am looking for money for burial.... I have tried everyone in Lagos and Ibadan with no success... You are my only hope. Please help me... I beg you in the name of God"

Questions From Ayo: Is it a crime to go abroad?
Why do people think that people pick money on the street of UK and US?
If you are Ayo what will you do?
Will you consider changing your Phone Number?

MORAL OF THIS STORY:
To Nigerians in Diaspora:
Don't start calling every Harry and Dick that you're in States when you still struggling to secure a Job not to talk of having an apartment.

To Family and Friends at Home: Don't put pressure on these people looking for Greener Pasture. Pressures like the one stated above from Africa (Nigeria) is one of the main reason why we have so many Africans (Nigerians) in prison all over the world because families and friends pushed them to the limit. Worse is the Emotional Blackmail used for selfish reasons.

And it's this same people that will insult the hard working folks that they are Corpse Washers, Toilet Washers, Cleaners and Babysitters.

GOD BLESS!!

39 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by gidjah(m): 11:29am On Nov 01, 2013
ds no big deall, for most of us here in nig,we even go tru worst case scenarioes, but we just kip praying God in his infinite mercies meet us all at d point of our needs.we mst care for our aged parents, d poor will neva cease frm d land
BUT PLS LETS CUT OUR GUYS OVA THERE SOME SLACKS, life aint rosy for foreigners over there, lets allow dem to grow

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 11:33am On Nov 01, 2013
gidjah: ds no big deall, for most of us here in nig,we even go tru worst case scenarioes, but we just kip praying God in his infinite mercies meet us all at d point of our needs.we mst care for our aged parents, d poor will neva cease frm d land
BUT PLS LETS CUT OUR GUYS OVA THERE SOME SLACKS, life aint rosy for foreigners over there, lets allow dem to grow

Exactly my point bro.

I hope this get to Frontpage.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by ilaugh1: 11:43am On Nov 01, 2013
just one story and you conclude this is what Nigerians face with families and friends?
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 11:48am On Nov 01, 2013
i_laugh: just one story and you conclude this is what Nigerians face with families and friends?

Not all bro, but if the person is from a Family below Average.. chances of facing this pressure frm home is very high.

BTW, am trying to pass message to both sides.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Godson201333(m): 11:56am On Nov 01, 2013
True Talk...Your girlfriend too wont let you rest oo
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by chukxie(m): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
True talk, my guy! Although i live in Orile, I get incessant SOS calls on my tecno phone 24/7! I wonder how many such calls i'd be receiving when i finally go abroad . I go dey switch my phone off! grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by TayoT: 12:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
Stop posting fake pictures on instagram to mislead your Naija peepu. And fake accent too.

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by josemaria03(m): 1:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
Stop living big in pictures
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by airclipse(m): 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
Sad
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by GetUmad: 2:29pm On Nov 01, 2013
Guy you're on point.
Imagine since I got here (Iraq) family and friends back home have been disturbing me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 2:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
TayoT: Stop posting fake pictures on instagram to mislead your Naija peepu. And fake accent too.

Exactly.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
this is a fictional story when I went for abroad my own.
Mama rings from Nigeria : Diva, this is ur mum. Have you called your Aunt Stella, she wants to spoil you in London this wekend
Baba rings : Diva , have you called your Aunt Catherine? she says she wants to see you
phone rings : Diva this is Coco, you roomie in secondary school, Can we hook up this weekend? we'll paint the town red!
phone rings : Diva, this is Michael, I've been chyking you on facebook, keep this weekend open for me, since you're in my city.
I just vex run come back, wetin? !! how I want take pass my masters with all these distractions?
Moral of the story :- It depends on what kinda of family you come from.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
bigdiva: this is a fictional story when I went for abroad my own.
Mama rings from Nigeria : Diva, this is ur mum. Have you called your Aunt Stella, she wants to spoil you in London this wekend
Baba rings : Diva , have you called your Aunt Catherine? she says she wants to see you
phone rings : Diva this is Coco, you roomie in secondary school, Can we hook up this weekend? we'll paint the town red!
phone rings : Diva, this is Michael, I've been chyking you on facebook, keep this weekend open for me, since you're in my city.
I just vex run come back, wetin? !! how I want take pass my masters with all these distractions?

Hmmmmn Deep!
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Brimmie , You are damn right men!!

Though I for one has never in my lifetime crossed the forewalls of this country, Im still trying to phantom how I continue to hold onto this feeling of "no place like home". But at the same time, that doesnt stop me of a possible adventure outside the country in the nearest future....In fact, as im saying these to you right now, there are plans for travelling immediately Im done with my MSc.

However, I wish to contribute on this issue. One thing is, your disposition towards family matters IS a major player that will determine how much you & families members will relate once you are absent in the country.

For a guy who doesnt have time going up & down greeting & socializing with family members here & there, I CAN BET YOU there will be a SUBSTANTIAL LIMIT to how much pressure family members will present to you !!. This is something practical & realistic. Its up to you the individual to be able to know when to play the Compromise & 'I Dont Care' game with them. .......Worse that can occur is for one of them (family members) to table the matter through your Dad & Mum to help them get to you !

And as you know, the above will be the opposite for guys who socialize much with his family members. You cant just leave those who you eat with, drink with, play with, etc several times in the country & expect them not to feel they have someone to be kind with them when he/she is away from home. Its a Two-way thing bro. .....And once you all of a sudden turn a new leaf bro, then you have yourself to blame !!. (I think you get a glimpse of what im saying here)

I for one has been critized by many members for my lack of social presence in the family, both on Mum & Dad's family sides. As im telling you, some of them have developed this sort of despise towards me, but dont care to know why i make myself unavailable for the most part. ....Though Im annoyed with some of them, i still go to their homes & even play with them.

...To cut short my point, Ayo's (as used in your example) responses to friends & family members , especially outside of the nuclear family, depends on the strenght of his relationship with them ALL.

BUT ALL IN ALL, dont stray TOO FAR away from family members, 'cos You dont know Who will be Who in the nearest future.
My 2 cents!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
Double Post
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Brimmie(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
St_Black: Brimmie , You are damn right men!!

Though I for one has never in my lifetime crossed the forewalls of this country, Im still trying to phantom how I continue to hold onto this feeling of "no place like home". But at the same time, that doesnt stop me of a possible adventure outside the country in the nearest future....In fact, as im saying these to you right now, there are plans for travelling immediately Im done with my MSc.

However, I wish to contribute on this issue. One thing is, your disposition towards family matters IS a major player that will determine how much you & families members will relate once you are absent in the country.

For a guy who doesnt have time going up & down greeting & socializing with family members here & there, I CAN BET YOU there will be a SUBSTANTIAL LIMIT to how much pressure family members will present to you !!. This is something practical & realistic. Its up to you the individual to be able to know when to play the Compromise & 'I Dont Care' game with them. .......Worse that can occur is for one of them (family members) to table the matter through your Dad & Mum to help them get to you !

And as you know, the above will be the opposite for guys who socialize much with his family members. You cant just leave those who you eat with, drink with, play with, etc several times in the country & expect them not to feel they have someone to be kind with them when he/she is away from home. Its a Two-way thing bro. .....And once you all of a sudden turn a new leaf bro, then you have yourself to blame !!. (I think you get a glimpse of what im saying here)

I for one has been critized by many members for my lack of social presence in the family, both on Mum & Dad's family sides. As im telling you, some of them have developed this sort of despise towards me, but dont care to know why i make myself unavailable for the most part. ....Though Im annoyed with some of them, i still go to their homes & even play with them.

...To cut short my point, Ayo's (as used in your example) responses to friends & family members , especially outside of the nuclear family, depends on the strenght of his relationship with them ALL.

BUT ALL IN ALL, dont stray TOO FAR away from family members, 'cos You dont know Who will be Who in the nearest future.
My 2 cents!!

The Blue Part: Socializing with Family and Friends is NOT big deal. But if you the type that they (Your People: Family and Friends) will miss so much, the best is to cut communication for some time. Dnt start posting stuffs on Social Media abt hw hard it is there.

The Red Part: That's what matters bruh, simple and brilliant!

Thanks for your comment.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 4:58pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ayo left Nigeria for better life. He got a job as a security man standing in front of a Chemist Store. Watching that no one steals. He stands in the cold weather, even on bitterly cold days, for eery little money, al least it meets his needs.

That money he has to pay; Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Health Insurance, Road Tax, Income Tax, Property/Mortgage Tax, Rent Bill, Gas Bill, Phone Bill, Feed Children & Education, buy Clothes etc.

Mama rings from Nigeria.. (with Yoruba accent) "Ayo, you have forgotten your mother... I think it is your wife that is telling you not to send me money"

Baba rings... (Yoruba accent) "Ayo, when are you going to build a house? All your mates are building up and down"

Brother rings, "Uncle Ayo, you have forgotten me, we are roasting here oo.. Please send something na"

Sister rings, "Brother Ayo, I just got admission to university, please I need school fees"

Phone rings "Ayo de Ayo!!!... Do you remember me, it's me Tunde, we use to live in Ketu together in "face me I face you"... Please anything at all for me?"

Phone rings, Ayo, it's me, your Father's Brother's Sister's, Grandmother's, Daughter's Son.. "My Mother's, sister's, senior brother's wife died... Please I am looking for money for burial.... I have tried everyone in Lagos and Ibadan with no success... You are my only hope. Please help me... I beg you in the name of God"

So many things wrong with your story mate.

1.) He cannot pay a mortgage and be renting at the same time
2.) Why is he buying a car and paying the attendant taxes/dues while on a security man's lowly salary? Highly unlikely to happen in real life.
3.) I know people who work as cleaners,security men, etc who still own homes.In the UK AND Naija. It CAN be done.

I know its a fictional account, but stop trying to portray the struggle as harder than it actually is.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by tpia5: 5:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
bigdiva: this is a fictional story when I went for abroad my own.

really deep
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by bebe2(f): 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
totally true, we have to be strong and focused.

i will not pushed, NEVER!

if i have and i want to, i will give. if not i will say no.

PERIOD!!!
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Lilimax(f): 5:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
@ OP- Spot on smiley!
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by MagicBishop: 5:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
The real question should be:

Did Ayo share the same thought process before going abroad that the streets will be paved with gold?

If yes, then Ayo should Man-up and rob the chemist

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by clapham(m): 5:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
Am a typical mushin guy priviledge to be where i am today by God, my contribution is straight, help people when you can because you are in land of plenty today but you dont know what tomorrow holds.
As per giving, loads of friend back then changed their number the moment they secure job but the family they were affording then was the same family they ran to in time of trouble.
Give when you can because their prayer goes a long way.

@ Magic bishop - you think its that easy? i wish you well

Experience is the best teacher

Shikena
NDI IGBO KWENU

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Fhemmmy: 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
clapham: Am a typical mushin guy priviledge to be where i am today by God, my contribution is straight, help people when you can because you are in land of plenty today but you dont know what tomorrow holds.
As per giving, loads of friend back then changed their number the moment they secure job but the family the were affording then was the same family they ran to in time of trouble.
Give when you can because their prayer goes a long way.

Experience is the best teacher

Shikena
NDI IGBO KWENU

I am not sure you understand the scenario painted in the OP's message . . . The dude is yet to be able to afford anything, but like you said, if one can afford it, sure, but what if the man cant afford it just yet?.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Mamacita007(f): 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
Diaspora threads everyday mmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by juman(m): 5:08pm On Nov 01, 2013
One nigeria problem.

Solution to nigerians problem is dividing this nation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ur environment and family dictates all of ds but funny nuff,used to think it was all fun overseas till when one of my padi went to the UK for Msc. Oh boy,come hear factual lamentation. Even as e be now,if no be say I am the adventurous type,I doubt if I can stay anywhere else apart from Naija...
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Osama10(m): 5:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I am not sure you understand the scenario painted in the OP's message . . . The dude is yet to be able to afford anything, but like you said, if one can afford it, sure, but what if the man cant afford it just yet?.

The guy cannot understand until he gets the experience.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by nora544: 5:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
That is no story.

I have a good friend and her husband is nigerian and they had also the problem with the money the family want in nigeria.

They make something very good, they wrote an email and they explaine what they have to pay every month and include all the billes they have to pay and whqat they have together with one kid, and they write also they can send money but than they have no money that they can buy food, since that day nobody ask for money.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by bebe2(f): 5:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop: The real question should be:

Did Ayo share the same thought process before going abroad that the streets will be paved with gold?

grin grin grin grin
DAMNNNNNNNN BRO.
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by clapham(m): 5:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
Osama10:

The guy cannot understand until he gets the experience.

Please, get it right, all am saying is, if you have and you can spare little give because Sainburys advert says 'every little help' that is if you have,if not let them know.

simple simple
Re: Nigerian In Diaspora Faces Pressures From Home by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
Magic Bishop: The real question should be:

LOL! LMFAO! Kai!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Bad Condition Of Some Roads In Ogba-ijaiye, Lagos / Seven Ways To Beat, Survive Lagos Traffic / Primero Sacked 300 BRT Drivers In A Year For Commuter Safety

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.