Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,504 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

I Excuse Myself- Gambari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Excuse Myself- Gambari (730 Views)

Bomb Blast At Gambari Market Maiduguri This Morning (Photos) / Asari: Amaechi Betrayed Saro-wiwa & ND With His Pro-gambari APC Rally Speech / Wikileaks:how Condi Rice Got Amb Gambari Fired From Burma Job Over Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Excuse Myself- Gambari by vikiviko(m): 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2008
PRESS STATEMENT

I am grateful to H.E. President Yar’Adua and Vice-President Jonathan for appointing me as Chairman of the Steering Committee for the National Summit on the Niger Delta and particularly for the confidence reposed in me to help resolve one of the most intractable problems facing our country.

I wish to put on record that I did not seek the position and I am not desperate to retain it. I felt it was my patriotic duty to accept the appointment and to discharge my duties to the best of my abilities. I have nothing but the highest regard for the people of the Niger Delta as an integral part of the Nigerian nation. It is my belief that the focus of this enterprise should be the Niger Delta but the perspective should be national while the international concern should not be ignored. Furthermore, I believe that with my decades of experience in conflict resolution and management, I could make a contribution towards finding a just and lasting solution to the problem in the Niger Delta. I could also help mobilize international support for the implementation of the concrete outcomes of the Summit.

However, in spite of the best intentions of the President and the Federal Government as well as my own commitment in accepting the position, my appointment has attracted what appears to be a well-orchestrated and relentless opposition from some quarters, institutions, groups and individuals who may nonetheless be central to the resolution of the crisis in the Delta. As a result, my name has become the issue in place of the attempt at finding a just and lasting solution to the crisis in the Niger Delta.

In light of this, I have contacted the Presidency and asked to be excused as the Chairman of the Steering Committee of the Summit. The laudable objectives of the federal government should not be defeated only because of the person in charge of the Steering Committee. The crisis in the Delta and the country are much bigger than an individual. And no individual must stand in the way of the resolution of the crisis, including my humble self.

I thank the President and the Federal Government of Nigeria for the opportunity and their understanding on this matter. I stand ready to continue to make my contribution, as a Nigerian and based on my experience as a national and international civil servant, towards the peace, stability and social economic development of our country.
Re: I Excuse Myself- Gambari by vikiviko(m): 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2008
It is a rather late excuse, isn't it? Or rather, he should not have accepted it in the first place, because immediately his name was announced or put forward, the Niger Delta people said no to the choice of him, knowing his previous statement about Saro Wiwa and the Ogonis during Abacha's time.

By stepping down however, he should be commended. In Nigeria, it is very rare to see such virtues.
Re: I Excuse Myself- Gambari by buchio7(m): 7:25pm On Jul 10, 2008
the most honourable thing has been done by him, recusing himself frm d petty brouhaha has saved the guy a lot a sleepless nights over an issue that was nt of his making,

up you gambari grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Should Nigerian Senate Regulate The Way Nigerians Dress? / Are Nigerians In A Hurry Or Is The Government's Agenda A Failure? / Where Is My Eyes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.