Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,254 members, 7,829,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! (18370 Views)

Igbo Language Has Strong Links To Bantu Languages - Igbodefender.com / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn? / What's The Literal Translation Of (north, South, East, West) In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by nenergy(m): 1:39pm On Nov 06, 2013
ifyalways: Forgive me - Gbaghara m
I have sinned - E meghewo m
I am sorry - O di m nwute
It pains me (to tell u this. . ) - O na ewute m (igwa gi . . .)

^ ^ Igbo
Fascinating! The our languages are rich o! Sadly most are lost due to western culture assimilation. I'm guilty.
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by Oildichotomy(m): 2:58pm On Nov 06, 2013
Annie2gud: Mine has(isoko)goes like this...Ivio le. @the poster above me.the urhobo meanin for am sorry is...Biko whor gwo.
From research,
''Ivio le'' can only be translated to mean ''please'' or begging' not literally I'm sorry as you earlier posted.
I called an Isoko Linguist of some sort, and he said there is no straight literal translation of the statement in Isoko.
But there are substitutes such as
'' Eva dho we he'' meaning Don't be angry
It could also be ''mè ibor' - but it doesn't make any sense in everyday communication.
Or the widespread ''doooo'' can easily serve the purpose of the 'sorry' word
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by Annie2gud(f): 3:10pm On Nov 06, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
From research,
''Ivio le'' can only be translated to mean ''please'' or begging' not literally I'm sorry as you earlier posted.
I called an Isoko Linguist of some sort, and he said there is no straight literal translation of the statement in Isoko.
But there are substitutes such as
'' Eva dho we he'' meaning Don't be angry
It could also be ''mè ibor' - but it doesn't make any sense in everyday communication.
Or the widespread ''doooo'' can easily serve the purpose of the 'sorry' word
Baby,they are the same.it depend on the contend of usage.thanks....Noted.
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by classicEntity(m): 12:52pm On Nov 07, 2013
in Igbo we simply say 'Biko Ndo' which means 'please sorry' there no need adding 'I am' (A dim or A bum) since u are d one saying it. So lets say 'Biko Ndo' (Please Sorry) will answer your question for the Igbos.
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by lawani: 5:42pm On Dec 21, 2018
Stop down grading african languages... What is EKU ILE in English?... As a yoruba man i dnt nid English to confirm the authenticity of my language... Help me with the meaning of EKU ILE in English @OP
I salute you for being at home
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by ImperialYoruba: 6:00pm On Dec 21, 2018
nenergy:
Last week in a bus I boarded, a woman after being told by the conductor to “Abeg enter with your change o, i nor get change at all at all o. Na beg i dey beg o!”, entered and gave the conductor a thousand Naira note. Quite frankly I have never seen a Lagos bus conductor plead so much. grin The conductor berated the woman vituperatively for ignoring is plea. All the woman could say was; “Abeg nor vex”. It occurred to me that “Abeg nor vex” is not an apology, but an appeal to the offended party not to escalate the matter. That is when I discovered that possibly, NO Nigerian language has a sentence that can be literally translated into “i am sorry”. shocked The three major languages attest to this discovery.

Hausa: Yakuri (take patience)
Yoruba: Ma binu (don’t get angry)
Igbo: Eweliwe (don’t get angry)
Ibibio (my dialect): Ku yat esit (don’t get angry)

Can i conclude with this that NO Nigerian Language has a literal translation for “I am sorry”?
How do you say “I am sorry” in your dialect and does it literally translate?

If there was ever any d0mb post in Nairaland, this is it.

Op,
There is a word in Yoruba, "Pele". Does English have a word for it?

In Igbo there is "Ndo". Does English have a word for it?

In Hausa, "Sannu". Does English have a word for it?

You will find out when you cross language barriers that are witin same family you get cognates and same meaning. However, when you cross to non-fraternal languages all you can do is "approximate"!

English is not in a family of language with any Nigerian tongue so you can only approximate.

This assignment you are chasing is the most unintelligent and d0mbest task.taskI feel like petitioning Ministry of Education to revoke your degree and ban you for ever applying to any job in Nigeria where the criteria require use of intelligence.
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 21, 2018
nenergy:

sha, sha, sha...shame grin Oya just try now.lol
Many persons can speak their language but can't write it because they were not taught how to write it.

1 Like

Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 21, 2018
Annie2gud:
Mine has(isoko)goes like this...Ivio le. @the poster above me.the urhobo meanin for am sorry is...Biko whor gwo.
Your assertion just refute op's assumption. How someone conclude a thing using five languages when we have over 250 languages. Omote omagare?
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by thinkafricanet: 10:39am On Dec 22, 2018
Our language rules in yoruba Are different. I don’t see a big deal with being “ourselves”
Re: NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”! by thinkafricanet: 12:27pm On Dec 22, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

If there was ever any d0mb post in Nairaland, this is it.

Op,
There is a word in Yoruba, "Pele". Does English have a word for it?

In Igbo there is "Ndo". Does English have a word for it?

In Hausa, "Sannu". Does English have a word for it?

You will find out when you cross language barriers that are witin same family you get cognates and same meaning. However, when you cross to non-fraternal languages all you can do is "approximate"!

English is not in a family of language with any Nigerian tongue so you can only approximate.

This assignment you are chasing is the most unintelligent and d0mbest task.taskI feel like petitioning Ministry of Education to revoke your degree and ban you for ever applying to any job in Nigeria where the criteria require use of intelligence.

ouch

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's So Special About Male Children? / Chief Forest Whitaker, Nwannedinamba Of Nkwerre / Cameroonian Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.