Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,132 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

What Do You Call This In Your Language? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Call This In Your Language? (1496 Views)

Mind Your Language Pregnant Women / Do Your Kids Speak And Understand Your Language? / Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Call This In Your Language? by speeder(m): 3:11pm On Nov 01, 2013
Its brief history

A long flexible whip made of cow skin or horse tail The word “koboko” was originally used by the Hausas and Fulani of Northern Nigeria to describe a horse whip or a highly dreaded whip used by military officials in disciplining the unruly. With time, people from all over the country adopted this new word and it became a word used in daily Nigerian Pidgin English. Since Nigeria has had numerous military governments since its independence, we can assume that some military words gained more popularity and have been adopted into the daily pidgin language. When parents are extremely dissatisfied with their sons’ behavior, they sometimes threaten that they would flog them with the koboko if they continued misbehaving. Of course this hardly happens but it is a common threat used by some Nigerian parents, especially those associated with the army.
They were flogging us using the koboko.
Etymology :Derived from Hausa, a language spoken in Northern Nigeria and other parts of West Africa that have Arabic influence
Source :Guardian Nigerian Newspapers
Last modified:10 June 2008

what good has this done to Nigerian society?

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Job Please Help / HELP!!! My Senior Brother Is Using Juju To Draw Me Back So As Not To Progress / I Need Ur Advice!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.