Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Rushdie Wins Best Of Booker Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Rushdie Wins Best Of Booker Prize (868 Views)

Chigozie Obioma's 'The Fishermen' Listed For 2015 Man Booker Prize / The 2008 Man Booker Prize / Anne Enright Wins The 2007 Man Booker Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rushdie Wins Best Of Booker Prize by HC: 6:27pm On Jul 10, 2008
Sir Salman Rushdie's novel Midnight's Children has won the Best of the Booker prize, as voted for by the public.

The 1981 book beat five other former Booker winners shortlisted from the prize's 40-year history.

Sir Salman, who was unable to attend the London ceremony as he is currently on tour in the US, sent his thanks via a pre-recorded message.

It is the third Booker award for the author, who was also the winner of the Booker of Bookers in 1993.

"Marvellous news - I'm absolutely delighted and would like to thank all those readers around the world who voted for Midnight's Children," the author said.

'Readers have spoken'

His sons, Zafar and Milan, were in attendance at the award ceremony at London's South Bank Centre to receive the custom-made trophy.

"It's a wonderful alternative to have my real children accepting the prize on behalf of my imaginary children," Sir Salman said.

BEST OF BOOKER NOMINEES

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie (won in 1981; also the previous winner of the Booker Of Bookers, in 1993)

Disgrace by JM Coetzee (1999)

Oscar And Lucinda by Peter Carey (1988)

The Conservationist by Nadine Gordimer (1974)

The Siege Of Krishnapur by JG Farrell (1973)

The Ghost Road by Pat Barker (1995)

When voting closed at 1200 BST on 8 July, 7,801 people had voted via online and text, with 36% voting for Midnight's Children.

Peter Carey, Pat Barker, JM Coetzee, Nadine Gordimer and JG Farrell were also shortlisted for the prize.

The shortlist was chosen by a panel of experts including novelist and critic Victoria Glendinning and broadcaster Mariella Frostrup.

"The readers have spoken - in their thousands. And we do believe that they have made the right choice," Glendinning said.

She added that Midnight's Children had won by a "quite a large margin".

The Booker Prize, which was first awarded in 1969, has spawned 41 winners because it was shared between two authors in 1974 and 1992.

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7499495.stm
Re: Rushdie Wins Best Of Booker Prize by blackgee(m): 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2008
Are you a fan of Salman? Sure, i'm not! And would never be one. Salman dented his repute by blindly smearing a prophet of the ISLAM in a book SATANIC VERSES (without a joist to support his blindness) in the 80's. Perhaps you had'nt much knowledge of Salman. Do we celebrate a bigot? Please have a shade to lull your EZINES.
Re: Rushdie Wins Best Of Booker Prize by tpia: 1:17am On Jul 29, 2008

(1) (Reply)

Lurking In The Woods I / 2009 Caine Prize / Mr Seun And Co Should Lets Have A Dinner Party Or Something For Poster Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.