Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists (5753 Views)

PDP Expels Ex-speaker, Others / PDP Expels Ex-speaker, Others / Protest Rocks Benin Over Arrest Of Edo Speaker, Others By EFCC... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by awodman: 8:22am On Nov 02, 2013
Ogun State governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun has
barred state government officials include Speaker of the
state House of Assembly, Suraj Adekunbi, commissioners
and Head of Service in the state from addressing
newsmen.

The governor gave the order through a circular with
reference number SSG/ADM/22/173 Issued from the office of the Secretary to the State Government, Barr. Taiwo Adeoluwa dated October 2, 2013.

In the circular which was obtained by our correspondent
yesterday the governor directed that, no public official
should disseminate information about the government to
the public without “ due clearance from the appropriate
quarters”.

According to him, to this end, the governor of Ogun state,His Excellency , Senator Ibikunle Amosun has further instructed that public officers should desist from making statements on matters of policy without due clearance from the office of the Head of Service.

“Furthermore, all speeches to be presented at public
functions must be cleared with the speech production unit of the Office of the Governor, at least 24 hours before such functions”, the statement said.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/amosun-bars-speaker-commissioners-hos-others-talking-journalists/
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by awodman: 8:24am On Nov 02, 2013
Like Fashola like Amosun...Transparency is the last thing on APC's governors mind. No wonder they have refused to domesticate the FOI bill

17 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Omexonomy: 8:38am On Nov 02, 2013
Fash started it all and it is now spreading like wild fire.
What happen to the FOI

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by talktimi(m): 9:57am On Nov 02, 2013
First they wanted a conference now they don't want it anymore. Then they wanted FOI, now they don't want that any more too. That's why I prefer military dictatorships any day, at least the army are always straight forward in their doings.

11 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Big4wig(m): 10:25am On Nov 02, 2013
Abeg who know where i fit get unused old layer fowl?

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by talk2s(m): 10:32am On Nov 02, 2013
He may, if he so wishes to, pass such anti-public directive to his Cabinet members and other appointed political ofice holders under him.
But not the Speaker and other elected officials like him.
infact, if the Speaker ofthe House Of Assembly does not bluff such a directive, he is worse than a mere APC bofoon!

9 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 02, 2013
Its now confirmed that these APC goons are paid to start tribal and political wars on here

2 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Firefire(m): 10:40am On Nov 02, 2013
And we call this Freedom in this century?
Where is AChen or so called APC putting their brain?
If Jonathan has said this... the whole world will not hear word again from Liar Mohammed & Co.
Bunch of hypocrites

6 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by duality(m): 10:44am On Nov 02, 2013
I want to discuss this issued Objectively with Gbawe or any of the ACN faithfuls. surprisingly, they wouldn't want to talk about it. we can not just keep talking about PDP alone if we are truly honest.

8 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Pattey(m): 10:49am On Nov 02, 2013
Wait, not just his cabinet members but also Parliamentarians? Plus including Speaker join? grin
Aberration of the highest order! Aberration!!!

Infact, the Speaker, empowered by a resolution of the house is the one who MAY still pronounce such embargo on the Governor and his cabinet. . . After all, going against Resolutions of the House will be impeachable.
Reversing roles, what can Amosu do to HOA members if they flout "his directive"?

I seriously doubt this story though. . . Comical Aberration cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Archmed(m): 10:50am On Nov 02, 2013
Urging anonimity of public and civil servants is understandable but going as far as involving d speaker of the House negates the principle of separation of power if you understand what I mean.
The Legislature should decide for itself Mr. governor

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 02, 2013
The TRANSPARENCY at the federal level has allowed exposure of any corrupt practices at that level. Exposure is the first step in the fight against corruption. But what do we get in Tinubu controlled states? SECRECY! No iota of transparency in Tinubu controlled states. How do we fight corruption in an atmosphere of secrecy?

8 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by dridowu: 11:00am On Nov 02, 2013
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Firefire(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
Can you imagine that?
ACN has never done any primary election for any office… all is by nomination by Tinubu.
And you are crying you are democrat. Democrat? Where? How? In what ways?
The Guardian Newspaper of Thursday 31st October Pg. 6, a PDP control state publish for records all project on road construction:
NAME OF PROJECT; DATE OF AWARD; NAME OF CONTRACTOR; AMOUNT & % OF COMPLETION.
Can any ACN controlled state be so open to state this fact? Not even Fashola with all the bloated cost where a 1 Km is constructed for Billions and all CAN/APC state are awarding project to Generalissimo Tinubu.
APC APC APC hmmmmmmm we know your type.

for your information, I dont believe in PDP either. I & we voted for ACN in the past election. we are now pained.

Sincere 9gerian: The TRANSPARENCY at the federal level has allowed exposure of any corrupt practices at that level. Exposure is the first step in the fight against corruption. But what do we get in Tinubu controlled states? SECRECY! No iota of transparency in Tinubu controlled states. How do we fight corruption in an atmosphere of secrecy?

2 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by homesteady(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
Na wa oh! No even traffic on this thread! grin
They've all gone to hide!

2 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Firefire(m): 11:22am On Nov 02, 2013
My guy what do you expect?
Truth is BITTER!
People always like passing bucks and judgments but will never want to be accused.
Bad condition!

homesteady: Na wa oh! No even traffic on this thread! grin
They've all gone to hide!
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by greatgod2012(f): 11:25am On Nov 02, 2013
So, what happens to our FOI! (Freedom of Information)

And we are here still believing that we're practicing Democracy.
May God help us in this country.

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 02, 2013
talk2s: He may, if he so wishes to, pass such anti-public directive to his Cabinet members and other appointed political ofice holders under him.
infact, if the Speaker of the House Of Assembly does not bluff such a directive, he is worse than a mere APC bofoon!

I agree with the part in bold.

However on reading the actual words of the circular, I can't see where the Speaker (or the State House of Assembly) were specifically mentioned. This gives rise to ambiguity as to who the circular defines as a "Public Official". Is a "public official" a member of the state executive, a state government employee, or a member of any of the three arms of government (including the state judiciary)? We need clarity.

As far as I know, no governor or president has the power to stifle a legislative house.

I'll wait for further clarification before coming to a conclusion.
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by dustydee: 11:30am On Nov 02, 2013
This is absurd to say the least, if the story is true. Is the assembly an arm of the executive?
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by gramci: 11:32am On Nov 02, 2013
Evil men are avoiding this thread

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by 1MCN: 11:40am On Nov 02, 2013
This is a terribly bad PR for the APC as a whole. No justification whatsoever for this absurdity and abberation! The man even went beyond his constitutional scope of authority to include lawmakers. Ogun should be very weary of this muzzling and muffling!
Our opposition faithful must begin to ask critical questions rather than follow like zombies. First, they all refused to domesticate FOI Act, next all APC federal lawmakers voted against LG autonomy, and now this! I fear that this is aimed at covering a mountain of corruption going on in the state and the abracadabra with which they make the people believe in them. Maybe the Stella Oduah's case has shown them that if care is not taken their own revelations might be more mortifying! These people may not be any better after all. Time will tell us.

2 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Brimmie(m): 11:41am On Nov 02, 2013
This Thread CAN'T Fetch Oga Seun Cool Mulla.. I Give Up!
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by talktimi(m): 11:42am On Nov 02, 2013
Firefire: My guy what do you expect?
Truth is BITTER!
People always like passing bucks and judgments but will never want to be accused.
Bad condition!

why are you people so wicked like this? The reason there isn't any traffic is because all APC warriors are having a prayer and fasting program for our U17 team like all patriotic Nigerains are supposed to be doing
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by BabaEleko(m): 11:48am On Nov 02, 2013
There is already a cholera outbreak in town, but going by the way all these sincere9gerian and other "PDP keyboard coalition forces" feast on every south west news, at any given opportunity, I'm afraid there could be an outbreak of "hypertension" too if their monthly "4k and 500MB" incentive is not put to a halt.

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by hitman2911: 11:53am On Nov 02, 2013
The journalist is just misleading the pack. Where was it written that the legislature was among. I thought many of us claim to be educated. For the so called educated and learned Nairaland commentators to have equate public servants / civil servants to the legislature is rather a wonder but can blame them because anything goes in Naija.
The house of assembly is another arm of the government which cannot be muzzled by the executive. they are elected officials and not appointed or civil servants. It is only the legislature that can gag themselves, although this can be done indirectly by the exco especially since are all from same party and more or less selected by the godfathers, Jagaban Borgu and others.
The exco have the perogative to give such directive to public servants, commissioners and other appointed officials.
Do not just take everything hook, sink and line because it comes from a newspaper. There are many half baked journalists, junk newspapers and their ignorant followers. All the politicians in Nigeria are the same, I don't trust any of them.
However if this so called rubbish is true ,I know the people of Ogun will not take it lying low and could be the beginning of the end for Amosun. They have mob action mentality , if you mess up your own don finish be that. Some of the elected local gov and legislators can hardly understand their responsibilities many are thugs and touts in suits and babanriga.
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by moodswing(m): 11:55am On Nov 02, 2013
We all scream like we expected more than the APC guys are dishing out. There's nothing democratic or progressive about them.

They are just lucky that most of their sponsors and carriers own almost all the popular media houses in Nigeria. This is why you never hear of their excesses but a little misunderstanding in opposing camp is fallaciously blown out of proportion with distorted facts and shameless malice.

God save my people from self imposed ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Pukkah: 12:06pm On Nov 02, 2013
HNosegbe:

I agree with the part in bold.

However on reading the actual words of the circular, I can't see where the Speaker (or the State House of Assembly) were specifically mentioned. This gives rise to ambiguity as to who the circular defines as a "Public Official". Is a "public official" a member of the state executive, a state government employee, or a member of any of the three arms of government (including the state judiciary)? We need clarity.

As far as I know, no governor or president has the power to stifle a legislative house.

I'll wait for further clarification before coming to a conclusion.

Any governor that issues such a directive to other arms of government - the legislature and the judiciary - is clearly senseless.

Any Speaker of a House that abides with such is even more senseless.

In fact, the issuance of such a directive to the House Speaker could qualify as a flagrant disregard to the constitution which a hostile house may term 'misconduct'.

The enemies of Amosun should not rejoice yet. This is like grabbing someone by the elbow and shouting that you've caught him.

1 Like

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Pukkah: 12:13pm On Nov 02, 2013
moodswing: We all scream like we expected more than the APC guys are dishing out. There's nothing democratic or progressive about them.

They are just lucky that most of their sponsors and carriers own almost all the popular media houses in Nigeria. This is why you never hear of their excesses but a little misunderstanding in opposing camp is fallaciously blown out of proportion with distorted facts and shameless malice.

God save my people from self imposed ignorance.

We hear more of the FG gaffes because everyone is interested in the centre and the President is the symbol of the Federation. The same thing will happen regardless of the party/individual that wins in 2015.

Generally speaking, state governments aren't being put under pressure in Nigeria; let alone the LGAs. This should not be the case as the state and LGs are very critical to the development of the country.

I think the APC (especially the SW) states are even under the most pressure in the country. On this forum, which state governors receive more criticisms than those of Lagos, Osun, Ogun, Imo, Edo, etc. Apart from them you also have governors of Anambra and may be Akwa Ibom. What of the other governors nationwide?

Do you still think the criticisms on the FG is being sponsored by a region?
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2013
Pukkah:

Any governor that issues such a directive to other arms of government - the legislature and the judiciary - is clearly senseless.

Any Speaker of a House that abides with such is even more senseless.

In fact, the issuance of such a directive to the House Speaker could qualify as a flagrant disregard to the constitution which a hostile house may term 'misconduct'.

The enemies of Amosun should not rejoice yet. This is like grabbing someone by the elbow and shouting that you've caught him.

Which is why I insist it's necessary to get clarification on who the circular refers to as a "public official".

I sincerely believe Amosun won't try to muzzle the legislature in such a brazen manner. He can't be that silly.
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Nobody: 12:18pm On Nov 02, 2013
hitman2911: The poster is just misleading the pack. Where was it written that the legislature was among. I thought many of us claim to be educated. For the so called educated and learned Nairaland commentators to have equate public servants / civil servants to the legislature it is a wonder.
The house of assembly is another arm of the government which cannot be muffled by the executive. they are elected and not appointed or civil servants. It is only the legislature that can gag themselves, although this can be done indirectly by the exco especially since are all from same party and more or less selected by the godfather, Jagaban Borgu.
The exco have the perogative to give such directive to public servants. i
Do not just take everything hook, sink and line because it comes from a newspaper. Many half baked journalists, junk newspapers and their followers.
However if this so called rubbish is true ,I know the people of Ogun will not take lying low and could be the beginning of the end for Amosun. They have mob action mentality , if you mess up your own don finish be that.
I have problem with people like you. People like you are more deadly than judas iscariot. I would gladly accept judas iscariot as a friend than a snake like you.
What do you mean by half-baked journalism. Oh! I forgot, it is half-baked journalism and shouldnt be true because it is not stella oduah and her alleged BMW. Oh! I forgot, it is half-baked journalism because the source was vanguard and not sahara reporters. What am i even saying self, it is half-baked journalism because it does not involve the "retardeen" and it involves the almighty jagaban of yorubaland.

Even stella was not given a chance to speak but. You came to the conclusion that she is corrupt because you believe all the full-baked journalism about her.

Look, if God come down and ask me to choose between judas iscariot and and a snake like you. I will choose judas iscariot. You know why? Because, snakes are cold and very deadly than every creature in the universe, that will make judas iscariot look like a saint. A snake have never walked or moved in a straight direction before, it must always curve, it has never been straightforward in its movement, but atleast judas iscariot is always straight, if it want to curve you will know and catch him. Why should i then ask God to give me a snake like you that i cant tame , when i can tame judas iscariot perfectly.

5 Likes

Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by ofomac: 12:22pm On Nov 02, 2013
This is height of dictatorship.So,Right to freedom of expression and press can no longer be exercised in Ogun State.Nigerian Judiciary should quickly come to the aid of Ogun State Citizens.
Re: Amosun Bars Speaker, Others From Talking To Journalists by Aromas: 12:47pm On Nov 02, 2013
talk2s: He may, if he so wishes to, pass such anti-public directive to his Cabinet members and other appointed political ofice holders under him.
infact, if the Speaker ofthe House Of Assembly does not bluff such a directive, he is worse than a mere APC bofoon!

A governor we surely be governor, not d name but d power of command in it

(1) (2) (Reply)

El-rufai Posted This On Facebook, See Nigerians Reply / Photonews: Okorocha's Battles On Imsuth, One-city-state; Imo State Bleeds. / Why Yorubas Need Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.